Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Skippy Granola posted:

Ha ha wow man.

First of all that's a false equivalency because there are a bunch of qualified and talented actors of all backgrounds working in Hollywood, less so in Japan.

Second... yellowwashed?!

The cartoon seemed to refer to whitewashing in the racial sense. Thus the Japanese or East Asian equivalent of whitewashing. Also, keep in mind that Hollywood does its thing because they believe it would be most profitable that way, so it isn't necessarily relevant that there are actors of all kinds of backgrounds available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Kirschen's self-insert has died and gone to hell! wait what

quote:

Our one-day holiday of Lag Ba'Omer will begin tomorrow night, with the end of Shabbat (May 13). It is celebrated with bonfires and kids playing with bows and arrows.
I love drawing happy holiday cartoons, so much of the time I use Dry Bones to "Fight Back" against the waves of antagonism and hatred that are constantly directed against us and our Jewish State.

This got me to think about collecting cartoons into a book called Dry Bones Cartoons Fight Back. Maybe I'll do it. I've been looking through my archives. Some of the cartoons are funny, many are angry, none are politically correct.

Meanwhile, may we all have a Happy Lag Ba'Omer!

Labels: Bonfire, Holiday, Jewish, Lag Ba'Omer

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kopijeger posted:

The cartoon seemed to refer to whitewashing in the racial sense. Thus the Japanese or East Asian equivalent of whitewashing. Also, keep in mind that Hollywood does its thing because they believe it would be most profitable that way, so it isn't necessarily relevant that there are actors of all kinds of backgrounds available.

Still pretty racist, IMO.

Hell, look at all the movies that follow the "White guy goes to Asia and invents bushido/becomes the living embodiment of true ninja/samurai/gundam honor." format. Using profits as an excuse doesn't really go far.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kopijeger posted:

referring to asians as yellow is uh. not a good thing

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

the_steve posted:

Still pretty racist, IMO.

Hell, look at all the movies that follow the "White guy goes to Asia and invents bushido/becomes the living embodiment of true ninja/samurai/gundam honor." format. Using profits as an excuse doesn't really go far.

Iron Fist springs to mind.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

Then referring to people as white or black or brown is not a good thing either.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Kopijeger posted:

They don't do this racist thing because they're racist, just because it makes money.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Kopijeger posted:

oh well if it's profitable then that's okay then

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Two things happened. A bad comic.

The coke button. :3:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kopijeger posted:

Then referring to people as white or black or brown is not a good thing either.

i want you to think about how many black people you know who call themselves black vs how many asian people you know call themselves yellow

i think you'll find a significant difference

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

They don't do this racist thing because they're racist, just because it makes money.

Oh, they are probably plenty racist, but money is most likely the primary concern.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Asianwashing just sounds so wrong though! Orientalwashing? Probably worse... hmm... maybe quippy one-word descriptions of phenomena aren't the way to go?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Kopijeger posted:

Oh, they are probably plenty racist, but money is most likely the primary concern.

Think about how being racist would impact their perception of what's likely to make money.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

i want you to think about how many black people you know who call themselves black vs how many asian people you know call themselves yellow

i think you'll find a significant difference

What would be a suitable term for casting East Asian actors as non-Asian characters?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

hmm... maybe quippy one-word descriptions of phenomena aren't the way to go?

I think this might be the least-popular opinion of all time

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kopijeger posted:

What would be a suitable term for casting East Asian actors as non-Asian characters?

is there a reason why you think this needs a term in the first place?

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Kopijeger posted:

How about "Japanese Actors playing fictional characters?"

Madness lies down this road, my hole-digging friend.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

is there a reason why you think this needs a term in the first place?

Let's say it is because "whitewashing" is an established term for casting "white" actors as "non-white" characters. What would be equivalent in a country where the majority of the population is not considered "white" be?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Kopijeger posted:

Let's say it is because "whitewashing" is an established term for casting "white" actors as "non-white" characters. What would be equivalent in a country where the majority of the population is not considered "white" be?

On a scale of 1-to-DASGDC, how mad does this image make you?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Kopijeger posted:

That's not a reason. Please refer to my previous post that not all concepts require a one-word soundbite. The reason people talk about "whitewashing" is because it has a significant impact on representation of ethnicities when white actors get roles of non-white characters. White people don't have a problem in being underrepresented, even in countries where they're not the majority.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Kopijeger posted:

One of the reasons 'whitewashing' got established is because there is a substance called whitewash, so it's a pun. No-one in America uses the term 'blackwash' - it just doesn't make sense. You're trying to shoehorn in a new word and you're using a racist term ("yellow") to do it. So it's bad for two reasons: racism and bad English. You're just going to have to be satisfied with using more words like 'Japanese actors playing Western characters'.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
If you're hung up on why "white" is okay but not "yellow", consider the fact that privileged people chose to call themselves white and the non-privileged groups didn't get a say in what they were called.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Kopijeger posted:

On the other hand, what do you expect when a story is adapted in another country?

Poster for a Takarazuka production based on The Three Musketeers. Not only are the characters yellowwashed, all the actors are female, thus most of them are in drag.

I'm more upset by the title being in English (instead of translated to Japanese, or original in French) than by the characters changing ethnicity and gender.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I hope you all calm down before we make it to page 420
Can't have you harshing my buzz.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kopijeger posted:

Profiting off the enabling of racism is as bad if not worse than genuinely being racist.

In fact that's what Get Out is about.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kopijeger posted:

there is no equivalent, and there doesn't need to be one

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Why assume that commenting on the fact that something happens makes you mad about it? Have no particular opinion on it.

Starshark posted:

One of the reasons 'whitewashing' got established is because there is a substance called whitewash, so it's a pun. No-one in America uses the term 'blackwash' - it just doesn't make sense. You're trying to shoehorn in a new word and you're using a racist term ("yellow") to do it. So it's bad for two reasons: racism and bad English. You're just going to have to be satisfied with using more words like 'Japanese actors playing Western characters'.

Eh, it was meant as shorthand for this thing the Japanese do. Not sure if there is a term for it used in that country.

ThePeavstenator posted:

If you're hung up on why "white" is okay but not "yellow", consider the fact that privileged people chose to call themselves white and the non-privileged groups didn't get a say in what they were called.

If I'm hung up on anything, it is the more the fact that people bother to criticise Hollywood for doing something that happens in all human societies (casting local actors in plots adapted from other countries). It seems silly when you know they'll do whatever it takes to maximise profits and when it is easier than ever to watch movies or tv shows from other countries instead.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kopijeger posted:

people bother to criticise Hollywood for doing something that happens in all human societies (casting local actors in plots adapted from other countries).

this just in, hollywood only has white people in it

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Kopijeger, I'm not really sure what point you're actually trying to argue, but it isn't going very well and I'd like to give you this opportunity to just kinda bail out now so we can move on

.Edward Penischin
Jun 5, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Wanna eat that yellow snow.

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart

this just in, hollywood only has white people in it

And Will Smith.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

there is no equivalent, and there doesn't need to be one

This is the correct answer on this whole topic, which was a bad derail founded on a racist word for a false equivalency. It's not a thing and it doesn't need a word describe it, least of all that one, and doubling down it by literally saying "well then the word white is also racist," yikes.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kopijeger posted:

If I'm hung up on anything, it is the more the fact that people bother to criticise Hollywood for doing something that happens in all human societies (casting local actors in plots adapted from other countries). It seems silly when you know they'll do whatever it takes to maximise profits and when it is easier than ever to watch movies or tv shows from other countries instead.

Dude, it's not like the US is some lily-white monoculture. There's plenty of actors of every imaginable ethnicity that you could cast to match the source material.

EDIT: Also you're ascribing Hollywood some kind of beep boop rationality when it comes to maximizing profits that just isn't there.

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 12, 2017

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

America = Supposed to be multicultural, ergo they should be exporting that visibility, see using appropriate actors when it calls for it. Representation is important in a multicultural setting because it equates to visibility.

Japan = Not multicultural, they don't require the same type of visibility internally because they don't have the same multicultural makeup.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on foxhunting and Labour's manifesto – Theresa May this week affirmed her support for foxhunting, as Jeremy Corbyn outlined a striking agenda of state intervention in his party’s manifesto"

Independent:

Labour braced for internal battle over manifesto after leak

Times:

Evening Standard:

Rumours of rift between Philip Hammond and Theresa May’s aides are ‘tittle tattle’, says Michael Fallon

Mail:
MAC on... The Labour Party's new manifesto

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Japan needs greater representation of its Ainu minority.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

Syfe posted:

America = Supposed to be multicultural, ergo they should be exporting that visibility, see using appropriate actors when it calls for it. Representation is important in a multicultural setting because it equates to visibility.

Japan = Not multicultural, they don't require the same type of visibility internally because they don't have the same multicultural makeup.

This really implies Japan doesn't have problems with racism or dealing with other cultures, which oh boy howdy does it ever.

Not to say that I'm mad about them casting asians in roles written for other races, that's totally fine. But just take a look at all the blackface characters in anime or the shocking things they did to the supposedly inferior Chinese in WWII.

Scatsby fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 12, 2017

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

I hope you all calm down before we make it to page 420
Can't have you harshing my buzz.

Don't you buzz enough already, Waspy?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Kopijeger posted:

Why assume that commenting on the fact that something happens makes you mad about it? Have no particular opinion on it.

Eh, it was meant as shorthand for this thing the Japanese do. Not sure if there is a term for it used in that country.

Hmm yes, this is quite a good hill on which to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Emasculator posted:

This really implies Japan doesn't have problems with racism or dealing with other cultures, which oh boy howdy does it ever.

Oh it does, but I'll say that my take on it was more on how a country represents itself outwardly. Japan arguably does not sell itself as a multicultural place, definitely part of why there is racism there because they by in large acknowledge the single culture of being Japanese, I didn't say it wasn't problematic.

The US however is multicultural, it's make-up is diverse enough that those roles should be going to race appropriate actors. Part of the problem with the US right now is that some people seem to see that as in contention, some people believe the US is a white country, it is not. Ergo, whitewashing.

• Locked thread