Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

Maybe you just got an unlucky roll of lots of hippy personality types

One thing to prevent this is by making up a bunch of real assholes and forcing the game to use them. In my most current game, there are 6 empires made by myself. 3 rear end in a top hat empires, 1 weird one and 2 you could count as the good ones if you squint really hard. Lots of possibilities for war!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
finishing tradition trees are almost impossible if you play wide,
sectors doesn't build unity buildings, and even if they did, it would be hard :/

6+ years between unlocks and just keeps rising fast..
and I'm only 25 years into the game, oh well..
(i play max 1000 star game, with 40 AI and 4 FE)

but on the positive side :
first time even i finished the precursors quest, underwhelming reward but still nice
a lot more fun events
sector is building 6+ building or more, at the same time
AI seems to expand faster then before, so they don't get stomped as easily

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
My single game of 1.6.0 hasnt had larger peacefullness problem than games in 1.5.x but that might be because I decided to try fan. militarists with dodge tanking corvettes and pounce on first signs of weakness :v: Right now upper half of the galaxy are either my vassals or protectorates, dodge tanking works pretty well until you run into missiles

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Is there a mod that makes Federations reasonable? And by that I mean able to grow beyond just a couple because one of the AI is always being a dick an denying every request? I decided I'd try a peaceful game with the 1.6.1 beta, even though it's kinda meant to fix the problem. But while I rushed and got two partners I've been unable to get anyone else in because one of the two other AIs hate/dislike the other AI I'm trying to get, or the AI I'm trying to get dislikes one of the two. It's loving ridiculous. Made worse by the fact that the two original empires I got involved are Federation Builders, and I've got a lot of empires with association status and high trust so I've got options from Imperialist, Explorers, other Federation Builders, Spiritual Seekers, Harmonious Collectives, the lsit goes on. I've even got one Slaving Despot somehow and had two liberation wars for states similar to mine but it's still a no go.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

nessin posted:

Is there a mod that makes Federations reasonable? And by that I mean able to grow beyond just a couple because one of the AI is always being a dick an denying every request? I decided I'd try a peaceful game with the 1.6.1 beta, even though it's kinda meant to fix the problem. But while I rushed and got two partners I've been unable to get anyone else in because one of the two other AIs hate/dislike the other AI I'm trying to get, or the AI I'm trying to get dislikes one of the two. It's loving ridiculous. Made worse by the fact that the two original empires I got involved are Federation Builders, and I've got a lot of empires with association status and high trust so I've got options from Imperialist, Explorers, other Federation Builders, Spiritual Seekers, Harmonious Collectives, the lsit goes on. I've even got one Slaving Despot somehow and had two liberation wars for states similar to mine but it's still a no go.

I find the best way to grow a federation is wars of liberation for your (hopefully non-space Hitler) ethics and then immediately inviting them to the Fed. No time to build grudges as they are new empires, and most everyone in your empire should have the same or similar ethics.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I think Federations will hopefully become worthwhile after some future diplomacy-focused patch. It would be great if you could attempt to host some kind of summit between members and potential candidates to try and smooth things over. You could have a CK2-esque event chain similar to feasts or festivals where any number of beneficial events or hilarious faux-pas occur. Like a repugnant species accidentally spewing it's bodily fluids all over an important delegate, or a spiritualist and materialist form a bond after a productive discussion on the nature of the Shroud over a glass of Romulan Ale or whatever.

Another thing that would be neat would be a return to "uncertain" diplomatic interactions. Right now, it's basically just a matter of getting enough "points" to turn the button green, then clicking OK. That works fine for, say, resource trading, where there's not much drama to be had. But stuff like negotiating non-aggression pacts, border closures, war invitations, etc. are quite dull right now and could use a bit of chance or flavor added.

I think it's well known that the diplomacy needs a bunch of extra content to make the game world come alive.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

KingLemming posted:

Not the way I'm doing it right now. In theory, some sort of special project kludgery could be set up, but I don't really want to get into that. It would sort of stick out next to the other buildable pop options.

Admittedly, that didn't stop people from using the Geoengineering mod, which had all sorts of Special Project kludges. ;)
how about if i were to mod your mod on my end? could i do something like create different classes of pops (ai = no, so that only i can build them), which produce my desired species instead of founder_species? or would that break the scripting, you think?

once i go all in on gene modding, i'd like to move my founder species off-world onto habitats and ringworlds (probably gaias too), while outsourcing all the planetary mining and soldiering and administration (i modded domestic servitude to give a unity bonus, so that it actually has a purpose) to a spectrum of client species. problem is that's a huge pain in the butthole, because everyone breeds at equal rates and there's no way to cull individual pops anymore.

looking at your cloning mod, i figure i could outlaw pop growth for all my peasants, and instead have the goop vats spit them out onto the tastefully arranged tiles i want them to inhabit.

Davidus
Jul 26, 2016
Started a new game last night as devouring hive mind penguins, everyone around me hated me, wondered why my poo poo wasn't being pushed in by angry AI and thought the RNG gods had blessed me with maximum douchebaggery. turns out it was just a bug :smith:

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

LogisticEarth posted:

I think Federations will hopefully become worthwhile after some future diplomacy-focused patch. It would be great if you could attempt to host some kind of summit between members and potential candidates to try and smooth things over. You could have a CK2-esque event chain similar to feasts or festivals where any number of beneficial events or hilarious faux-pas occur. Like a repugnant species accidentally spewing it's bodily fluids all over an important delegate, or a spiritualist and materialist form a bond after a productive discussion on the nature of the Shroud over a glass of Romulan Ale or whatever.

Another thing that would be neat would be a return to "uncertain" diplomatic interactions. Right now, it's basically just a matter of getting enough "points" to turn the button green, then clicking OK. That works fine for, say, resource trading, where there's not much drama to be had. But stuff like negotiating non-aggression pacts, border closures, war invitations, etc. are quite dull right now and could use a bit of chance or flavor added.

I think it's well known that the diplomacy needs a bunch of extra content to make the game world come alive.

Would like to see some of the mechanics from The Last Federation brought into Stellaris - getting leverage over honorable warriors by beating them in personal combat, blackmailing elected leaders, or bribery

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How does Stellaris stack up to other Paradox games?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
it's a little underdone. lots of poor design choices that are now being revised, along with some v. bad coding that got baked in on someone's watch. for example, all missiles (so fully 1/3 of the weapons in the game) are hardcoded to be terrible: their targeting priorities are all kinds of screwed up, so your ships will send a full volley of missiles to kill a ship that can be splashed in maybe 5 (and since there's no post-kill retargeting, the extras are wasted). Point defense is bonkers too.

fun can be extracted, but you should be into the genre. wait for a big sale or give it a couple of years.

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 12, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Nosfereefer posted:

Played for about 100 years before getting bored. Highlight of the game: being stuck together with a regular hive mind between one advanced devouring hive mind, and one advanced fanatic purifiers

our empire and the regular hive mind were buddies all the way, with an extreme amount of positive bonuses to relations. I guess it's kind of awkward that the hive mind loves us that much, being a single concious entity.

Mars has decided you're cute.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Soup du Journey posted:

how about if i were to mod your mod on my end? could i do something like create different classes of pops (ai = no, so that only i can build them), which produce my desired species instead of founder_species? or would that break the scripting, you think?

once i go all in on gene modding, i'd like to move my founder species off-world onto habitats and ringworlds (probably gaias too), while outsourcing all the planetary mining and soldiering and administration (i modded domestic servitude to give a unity bonus, so that it actually has a purpose) to a spectrum of client species. problem is that's a huge pain in the butthole, because everyone breeds at equal rates and there's no way to cull individual pops anymore.

looking at your cloning mod, i figure i could outlaw pop growth for all my peasants, and instead have the goop vats spit them out onto the tastefully arranged tiles i want them to inhabit.

The problem there is that species = founder_species is valid. But how do you point that to any other species that happens to live in your country?

Also, you'd need a buildable entry for all of them. If you come up with anything, let me know, but I couldn't figure out a way to make it work. Best I can think of is using a building to tag a pop (the working pop), and then via Special Project, spitting out a copy of that pop X months later.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Soup du Journey posted:

wait for a big sale

You mean like the one going on all this month where its $12?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If it's got the dlc bundled in? Sure. Dunno if I'd recommend getting the game on sale and paying full price for utopia though. Not like it fixes the game; it just adds some things (many of which are themselves half-baked...) which are only welcome if you're already a skid row junkie like me.

If homeboy is looking to park $30 bucks in a safe place (and isn't, in other words, feeding an addiction), I'd probably recommend endless space 2

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Started a new game and haven't seen any wars but it's still early on, I've seen 2 races go pacifist though. Perhaps technically they can and do declare war sometimes, but there's still something really off with the new faction/ethics system and the attractors.

A big problem is that they made it so early game wars don't often happen due to buffed starbases and now troop requirements, but the time it takes before wars start kicking off is way way longer than the time it takes pacifist factions to emerge in empires and take over, outside of player-driven early wars.

The whole ethos and faction support system needs a re-look. Even if you aren't engaged in a technical war, a militarist empire with a big fleet and rivals who's also constantly out there battling space monsters and pirates should not be drifting pacifist so easily. Simply having the unrestricted wars policy should also help keep your empire from drifting that way. Imagine you're living in the starship troopers federation, war or no war your society is built around military service, your entire life and education is all about military and "service" worship, your government tells you there's threats to your empire around every corner so we must maintain a huge active and ready military. That empire isn't going to suddenly become pacifist just because they haven't quite built up their fleet and army enough to take on the bug threat.

The support/suppress faction options are nice, but they should be more powerful and you should be able to support your official factions as well. The idea of your faction support shifting in natural ways based on how you're running your empire sounds good in theory, but when the shifts don't make sense to the player or seem totally out of their hands it's not very fun. You should, at the end of the day, be able to get the society you want, but at a cost. Very long term hands-off systems of slow glacial drift with poor player feedback are awful systems and end up both confusing and not fun, like a lot of politics in Vicky 2. You'll have a goal in mind, "become state capitalist" or "become egalitarian militarist" and you'll spend an entire game staring at that upper/lower house screen or the faction screen trying to do absolutely everything the game allows you to shift things towards you goal but never quite get the payoff you wanted, and never be quite sure if all your pushing is even doing anything.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 12, 2017

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Am I the only person that seems to have a problem with my pops really wanting to be militarists?

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Baronjutter posted:

Started a new game and haven't seen any wars but it's still early on, I've seen 2 races go pacifist though. Perhaps technically they can and do declare war sometimes, but there's still something really off with the new faction/ethics system and the attractors.

Are you using the beta patch? People are reporting that fixes the AI war and pacifism spread stuff.

Sounds like AI terraforming is still a problem, hopefully a mod or quick fix for that will be released soon

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Does the ai terraforming yo-yo affect sector governors too?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Soup du Journey posted:

Does the ai terraforming yo-yo affect sector governors too?

Yes, yes it does.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Midnightghoul posted:

Are you using the beta patch? People are reporting that fixes the AI war and pacifism spread stuff.

Sounds like AI terraforming is still a problem, hopefully a mod or quick fix for that will be released soon

It's a brand new game on 1.6.1. Very early in, people are only building their 3rd colonies at this point but the xenophobic militarist just shifted pacifist, and some other far away country without any diplomatic ties also switched pacifist. People haven't even started to rival each other, almost no one has touching borders. Very very early game and seen two pacifist flips.

With sectors so hosed up it's really best to "finish" your planets before you hand them over, and maybe just don't research the tech that lets you terraform settled planets. I don't know how bad it is, are they taking your ideal climate planets and turning them hostile? And each time it's also randomizing the resources?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Descar posted:

finishing tradition trees are almost impossible if you play wide,
sectors doesn't build unity buildings, and even if they did, it would be hard :/

In my current game, my borders cover about 3/4 of the entire map, with the remaining 1/4 covered by AI.

I have literally finished 1 tradition tree and that's it.

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?
This is the first 4X game I've ever really gotten into. I've tried others but nothing took. Sad to hear about all the problems though, I hope they get worked on. I'm really enjoying this half broken game at least.

My only real issue is I wish I could save in Ironman mode. I want cheevos but I also have work and classes. Stupid life getting in the way of my games.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Just saw Fanatical Purifiers turn into Xenophobic Isolationists by themselves, with no wars involved. FP civic had been replaced with Shadow Council, and Fanatic Xenophobe ethic had been replaced with Xenophobe and Pacifist. Didn't know that was even possible. :prepop:

Great patch and new portraits btw.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Midnightghoul posted:

I am using the 1.61 beta build. With a fanatic purifier and another rival right on my boarder as a fanatic spiritualist/militarist with conformist trait+Exalted Priesthood+temple+spiritual unity+one vision+reeducation edict my pops are STILL going pacifist. I checked the % for them to swap to pacifist when spiritual unity and reeducation dropped and it was at 40%. With the edicts both on... still 40%

Something is broken in the math both with the edicts and the weight of pacifism.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Avail posted:

My only real issue is I wish I could save in Ironman mode. I want cheevos but I also have work and classes. Stupid life getting in the way of my games.

You can? Everytime you exit it saves, and there is nothing stopping you from backing up those save files.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ded posted:

I am using the 1.61 beta build. With a fanatic purifier and another rival right on my boarder as a fanatic spiritualist/militarist with conformist trait+Exalted Priesthood+temple+spiritual unity+one vision+reeducation edict my pops are STILL going pacifist. I checked the % for them to swap to pacifist when spiritual unity and reeducation dropped and it was at 40%. With the edicts both on... still 40%

Something is broken in the math both with the edicts and the weight of pacifism.

I have a feeling there's some weird paradox math going on inside the whole ethos drift and faction support system, something akin to how missiles/PD are calculated not through some basic hit/intercept chances but through 5 dimensional non-euclidean calculations.

Avail
Jun 27, 2005
the internet? what the fuck is the internet?

PittTheElder posted:

You can? Everytime you exit it saves, and there is nothing stopping you from backing up those save files.

Wow the save option was greyed out so I thought I was screwed. Thanks!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Devouring swarms are fun to roleplay. Set your food stockpile policy to the maximum, maybe build no more than a single farm per planet, and try to rely entirely on eating aliens. Grow and build up when stockpiles are high, expand and consume when they get low. I was lucky enough to start with several industrial to atomic age primitives nearby, but now that they've been eaten, its looking like I need to get a little more ambitious...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Avail posted:

Wow the save option was greyed out so I thought I was screwed. Thanks!

Nah it just does it automatically for you on exit. The only meaningful difference between ironman and not is that you don't have console access.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SkySteak posted:

The idea of not upgrading everything on a ship so it's the best it can be is something I admit that I never really thought over. I imagined depriving yourself of upgrades hurt you but I suppose that counters to ships/weapons are still effective ,even if not at their peak.

It's probably most significant with Corvettes, because a corvette is a 60% chance to dodge large guns with a certain number of guns taped to it. You increase its effectiveness by getting more corvettes with more guns and more chances to dodge, and that dodge chance is free so you want to make them as cheap as possible to get as many as possible.

Shielding and more dodge chance along with high impact weapons like torpedoes are the best things for corvettes, don't bother emphasizing quality when you can get double the quantity for the same price, though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I've seen sectors go ham on terraforming existing settlements, but only if it isn't already our homeworld class. If it is, they've been leaving them alone.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PittTheElder posted:

Nah it just does it automatically for you on exit. The only meaningful difference between ironman and not is that you don't have console access.

Which is just a way of saying "you have to use a text editor and know what you're doing."

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

nessin posted:

I had trouble growing my federation in my game because, despite have 100+ opinion of me, they had a -1000 on acceptance because they disliked my empire because ???

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What causes the bug that gives your enemy the warscore from a space battle that they lost? I think this one was active at launch, but didn't notice happening since.

The best I can reconstruct events, I engaged a space station, midway through their fleet appeared, so my fleet broke off the station to engage the fleet, wiped it, then destroyed the station.

Result: battle lost, -7% warscore :psyduck:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

ulmont posted:

Which is just a way of saying "you have to use a text editor and know what you're doing."

Probably, haven't tried. I would assume they have some sort of CRC on the save data, the details of which would be non-disclosed, though I guess since Steam Achievement Manager exists that may not be worth the effort.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

canepazzo posted:

What causes the bug that gives your enemy the warscore from a space battle that they lost? I think this one was active at launch, but didn't notice happening since.

The best I can reconstruct events, I engaged a space station, midway through their fleet appeared, so my fleet broke off the station to engage the fleet, wiped it, then destroyed the station.

Result: battle lost, -7% warscore :psyduck:

It counts who lost more ships and compare it to the overall size of your fleets.

It's weird.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bholder posted:

It counts who lost more ships and compare it to the overall size of your fleets.

It's weird.

That actually makes sense. Even if you "win" the battle but you lose 7000 fleet power out of your 10,000 power fleet just to defeat their 6,000 fleet power fleet, that's not exactly a glowing victory. But it's only a loss if it hurts your ability to win your war. Ultimately the whole classic paradox warscore based war and peace process doesn't translate to a 4x so well...

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Welp, spoke too soon. Just declared war and literally my entire population's happiness dropped to 0, because they all were in pacifist faction... This is for empire that spent most of time in war and got 6 vassals before reaching cruisers :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Xarn posted:

Welp, spoke too soon. Just declared war and literally my entire population's happiness dropped to 0, because they all were in pacifist faction... This is for empire that spent most of time in war and got 6 vassals before reaching cruisers :v:

Got tired of winning :sad:

• Locked thread