Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Took the lift back to the lobby for the first time and I'm greeted with a weaver and a nightmare right outside the lift exit. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Malek posted:

I missed it, what did it say? (Spoiler tags of course please)

Changes the billboard to a big message telling people the escape pods are fake. Speaking of which, why are the escape pods fake? I assumed it was a decision by either Alex or the owners of the company so that if typhons ever broke containment people wouldn't be able to escape and spread the infection to Earth. Alex leaves a functional one for himself of course, because he's a fat jerk.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
I still don't think anybody has explained to be what October is or that whole tape in Alex's secret compartment at the end that "Morgan" made, does anyone have an answer for that?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I really hope they patch in a rebind for the quick menu wheel. I prefer how I have it in Dishonored (TAB). It's also odd that it's a toggle in Prey while it had to be held down for Dishonored.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anti-Hero posted:

I really hope they patch in a rebind for the quick menu wheel. I prefer how I have it in Dishonored (TAB). It's also odd that it's a toggle in Prey while it had to be held down for Dishonored.

Yeh, I don't like that it's a toggle.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kontradaz posted:

I still don't think anybody has explained to be what October is or that whole tape in Alex's secret compartment at the end that "Morgan" made, does anyone have an answer for that?

Basically a lot of the times he (or she) got his memories reset, Morgan developed suspicions that his brother would take steps to keep him locked in the simulation forever. In order to prevent that, Morgan built a secret operator to guide himself to freedom, and remind himself of what he wanted his future amnesiac self to do. That's what January is.

There were two problems though, the first is that each time his memories got reset, he forgot that he had already built a secret operator, so he ended up building another one. This is why you see emails in the hardware section talking about how Morgan keeps requisitioning more operator parts and nobody knows why. He keeps building new operators. The second problem is each time he got his memories reset, his personality was somewhat randomized as well, so the instructions he gave to the operator he built were also different. This is why December is telling you to escape the station, while January is telling you to destroy it.

So basically October was another such operator. Exactly what instructions Morgan gave to October is unknown, because for some unknown reason October doesn't exist anymore. Maybe it was never activated or completed, maybe it was discovered and destroyed by Alex, but it was just another January / December style message from Past Morgan attempting to circumvent his memory loss from the sim tests.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Looks like the Polygon review is pretty positive with an 8.5. It's a bog-standard Gies review so its dry as hell and not all that interesting to read, but they apparently docked the console versions for technical issues. I'm on PC and have yet to encounter a bug, but I do have a friend who wants to get this on PS4. Is the input lag enough for me to tell them to wait for Arkane to fix it?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Yes, there's really bad deadzone drift and the sensitivity even on super low settings is too much on PS4

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
They need to patch in the advanced hud options from dishonored 2 as well

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MMF Freeway posted:

They need to patch in the advanced hud options from dishonored 2 as well

It's honestly kinda really confusing that they didn't include these considering it's the same game engine with the same UI elements.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's not the same game engine. prey uses crysis, dishonored 2 used an in-house engine called "void"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Huh. Could've fooled me. Either way, I too wish this game had the UI customizability, and also all of those difficulty tuning options that the store page says there are that there aren't!

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Mzbundifund posted:

Basically a lot of the times he (or she) got his memories reset, Morgan developed suspicions that his brother would take steps to keep him locked in the simulation forever. In order to prevent that, Morgan built a secret operator to guide himself to freedom, and remind himself of what he wanted his future amnesiac self to do. That's what January is.

There were two problems though, the first is that each time his memories got reset, he forgot that he had already built a secret operator, so he ended up building another one. This is why you see emails in the hardware section talking about how Morgan keeps requisitioning more operator parts and nobody knows why. He keeps building new operators. The second problem is each time he got his memories reset, his personality was somewhat randomized as well, so the instructions he gave to the operator he built were also different. This is why December is telling you to escape the station, while January is telling you to destroy it.

So basically October was another such operator. Exactly what instructions Morgan gave to October is unknown, because for some unknown reason October doesn't exist anymore. Maybe it was never activated or completed, maybe it was discovered and destroyed by Alex, but it was just another January / December style message from Past Morgan attempting to circumvent his memory loss from the sim tests.

October is in Morgan's suite hooked up to the workstation there.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

CJacobs posted:

those difficulty tuning options that the store page says there are that there aren't!

On Steam? I can't see that mentioned, but I'm on mobile.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i've never forgiven Arthur Gies for saying the courier in Fallout New Vegas had amnesia

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

On Steam? I can't see that mentioned, but I'm on mobile.

Oh, have they finally removed that? Yeah, when it came out, it had Dishonored etc's blurb about how you can custom tune the difficulty/UI and such like you can in those games but that's nowhere to be found. Someone earlier in the thread was griping about that too like I am now. :v:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Has anyone tried to mimic a nightmare?

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I've been working towards completing the first side mission I found, "The Body Vanishes" or something like that. The goal is to recover something from Bellamy's corpse. I've gone through the Trauma Center, to the Hardware Labs, and am currently in Psychotronics. I had to spend some time on the main path to acquire keycards I needed to make progress, but otherwise, I've been railroading this side mission.

I'm on Normal, and I'm playing primarily like a somewhat overconfident jackass, because I am. I'll gloo gun anything that moves, smack it down, and go on my way. I've got my shotgun upgraded to the point where I can one or two shot most phantoms I encounter. This all said, I'm starting to really get beat up here in Psychotronics. Is this to be expected? My supplies have gone from acceptable to near non-existent.

My intent is to avoid spending any neuromods on the Typhon abilities. If this is dumb, or gimping myself more than I realize, let me know.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
It didn't really bother me early on when there wasn't anyone around to talk to, but now Morgan being a silent protagonist is getting on my nerves in the same way as it did in dishonored 1.
Like, that was one of the biggest improvements in dishonored 2, why did they gently caress this up in this game?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Anyone on the PC suddenly having audio issues? It seems that ambient music and random sound effects aren't playing like they used to. Like the hacking music and sounds are noticeably different from two days ago.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mymla posted:

It didn't really bother me early on when there wasn't anyone around to talk to, but now Morgan being a silent protagonist is getting on my nerves in the same way as it did in dishonored 1.
Like, that was one of the biggest improvements in dishonored 2, why did they gently caress this up in this game?

Morgan already spends like 75% of the game talking. Just, y'know, not from your voice box.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Sdoots posted:

If this is dumb, or gimping myself more than I realize, let me know.

The only thing you're doing wrong is playing on Normal, you'll just murder everything as soon as you get a few neuromods in. :v:

Human-only is definitely doable, Typhon-only is kind of painful as mentioned above on this page, since that means no inventory expansion, no hacking, no repair, etc...

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You're also going to have no powers to play with on Typhon only until you scan enough enemies

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Capn Beeb posted:

Anyone on the PC suddenly having audio issues? It seems that ambient music and random sound effects aren't playing like they used to. Like the hacking music and sounds are noticeably different from two days ago.

They changed the sound mixing because people were complaining about stuff like the "objective completed" music being much louder than the dialogue.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CJacobs posted:

Morgan already spends like 75% of the game talking. Just, y'know, not from your voice box.

Is January female if you pick female Morgan?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Yes and the toilet seat is down in your apartment as noted by others!

Serf
May 5, 2011

RatHat posted:

Is January female if you pick female Morgan?

Yeah, it was very confusing when people were referring to January as "he" for a while there.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
And yet they couldn't plug female Morgan in the family picture. :argh:

Unless it's a picture from her troubled emo youth days.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Changes the billboard to a big message telling people the escape pods are fake. Speaking of which, why are the escape pods fake? I assumed it was a decision by either Alex or the owners of the company so that if typhons ever broke containment people wouldn't be able to escape and spread the infection to Earth. Alex leaves a functional one for himself of course, because he's a fat jerk.

The real question is why isn't the station entirely devoted to transhuman alien research in the first place, that way you don't have to keep it secret from 4/5's of the crew and nobody shrugs their shoulders when the electrical components they just plugged in melt into black slime.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Jan posted:

The picture is definitely different.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jan posted:

Yes they did? Why would they not change that

Male Morgan

Female Morgan

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm trying to find the EP101 card. A message on Alex's computer says that it's in Neuromod division, on top of a computer cabinet, but I've checked the entire area and can't find it. Any tips?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm trying to find the EP101 card. A message on Alex's computer says that it's in Neuromod division, on top of a computer cabinet, but I've checked the entire area and can't find it. Any tips?

If you just want a hint: It's closer to where the game started than you might think.

If you want to know the specific spot: It's in the closet right outside the simulation room, the one with the safe, computer, and creepy electroshock chair.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Caidin posted:

The real question is why isn't the station entirely devoted to transhuman alien research in the first place, that way you don't have to keep it secret from 4/5's of the crew and nobody shrugs their shoulders when the electrical components they just plugged in melt into black slime.
The station is devoted to alien research. Just about everybody on Talos I is an unwitting guinea pig for the neuromod program, either to chart effects or capture advanced talents and skills.

As to why people don't know about the Typhon, if people knew they'd want to know why and for what purpose dangerous shapeshifting creatures are being kept alive on the station. From there, well, you'd just need the entire station to agree that human sacrifice is a-okay, then hope they don't put two and two together with regard to what exactly they're injecting directly into their brains.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Well yeah, that's great and all, but it doesn't make the conversations where NPCs just talk at morgan any less awkward. In fact it's even more awkward because it's not like they were saving on voice actors or anything.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Basic Chunnel posted:

The station is devoted to alien research. Just about everybody on Talos I is an unwitting guinea pig for the neuromod program, either to chart effects or capture advanced talents and skills.

As to why people don't know about the Typhon, if people knew they'd want to know why and for what purpose dangerous shapeshifting creatures are being kept alive on the station. From there, well, you'd just need the entire station to agree that human sacrifice is a-okay, then hope they don't put two and two together with regard to what exactly they're injecting directly into their brains.

Yeah, the whole Annalise Gallegos storyline basically shows why opsec is so tight in the first place

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mymla posted:

Well yeah, that's great and all, but it doesn't make the conversations where NPCs just talk at morgan any less awkward. In fact it's even more awkward because it's not like they were saving on voice actors or anything.

Sure, but my point was having Morgan be talking to Morgan for 99% of the game is pretty unnecessary. The only other person there really is to talk to on the regular is Alex, and while it is kinda awkward to have him ask direct questions and the player doesn't respond a la Gordon Freeman, I feel like it was a fine tradeoff to avoid Morgan having redundant conversations with him/herself every half hour.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Huh. Could've fooled me. Either way, I too wish this game had the UI customizability, and also all of those difficulty tuning options that the store page says there are that there aren't!

Well it could not have fooled me because this game is to dishonored 2 what a military fighter jet is to a biplane in terms of performance

But yeah it is quite dumb that dishonored 2 advertised stuff like the difficulty tuning options that they did not patch in until quite a bit later, and then they did the same thing here. Don't advertise it if it's not there

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's funny. I went to steam when I wrote the op, and didn't see the difficulty tuning options listed then. I guess I must have missed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

Thats... actually all good points. I dunno, maybe I just assume every corp in a video game is Umbrella anymore.