Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Will I be able to juggle in the 'verse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

Will I be able to juggle in the 'verse?
Sorry, I meant WILL I BE ABLE TO JUGGLE IN THE VERSE?!?!?

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

Hyperbole aside Derek, how can you say S42 is dead? Do you mean for this year? I would assume they are still trying to push some gimped up S42 at some point or why would they be still doing mocap as our #actress friend was showing?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I too am curious about how SQ42 can be dead.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

does the game have characters with hair yet?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

DarkRefreshment posted:

Hyperbole aside Derek, how can you say S42 is dead? Do you mean for this year? I would assume they are still trying to push some gimped up S42 at some point or why would they be still doing mocap as our #actress friend was showing?

Dead as it in never coming out as pitched. In fact, my main source is so certain that it has a high risk of never coming out, that they claim it's now just a "show of appearances" for Chris and Sandi.

Oh, latest newsletter. Buy a mystery ship.

http://mailchi.mp/cloudimperiumgames/meet-the-defender-of-the-banu-140369?e=c733d8e2e6

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

DarkRefreshment posted:

Checks out since the first step as we all know according to to the Book of MoMA 42:1-42:5

Thou shalt design the UI first
Let there be no code written until thine health meter display is most fidelitous
And say unto the network engineers, 'Nay, do not fix thine net code until we hast refactored the patcher music'
Ye shall know the coming of the game when thou female avatars walk upon the station
Praise be to Roberts, first of his name. Programmer of programmers.
So say ye prophet of the Lord,
Ben Lesnick, Developer

dad?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Danknificent posted:

I too am curious about how SQ42 can be dead.

too weaks!

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

so here's what happens when you let programmer watch bug smasher.

https://youtu.be/zVNyMMiZaj4

quote:

I've never watched any of their Bugsmashers videos. I made the mistake of wasting that 9 minutes of my life today and feel grief. Here's my notes:

Empty chairs all around him, maybe because he's starting work before 9 AM, wonder if that's against any california regulations.
10k lines of code in a single file? WHAT.
Lazy resets of object states - this is a hilariously bad practice that will cause no end of subtle bugs, was probably done as a lazy way to maintain thread safety instead of learning what a lock statement is
Passing state objects around by reference, but it's not clear who owns the original copy of that reference or when it can be updated or changed. It seems that they get them in different ways if they're vehicles or ships. This is unclear and will lead to subtle bugs down the line.
#ifdefs littered throughout for debugging - yet they're not enabled while he's debugging, which tells me that they're for testing 'experimental' code, which should never, ever be left in a production branch or you're going to end up with mountains of them that no one is really sure what does or what they break or depend upon to function.
getphysicsstatus, getphysicsstatusmain? WTF is the difference between these two objects, I'm going to assume that he's trialing replacing the system with something new, but why is it in this branch of code if he's not specifically testing replacing that system - this reeks of the same type of 'I don't really know wtf I'm doing, so I'm just throwing code at the wall until something sticks'.
'you have mixed tabs and spaces' warning files is just :allears: because that should be standardized and automatically enforced by whatever source control system they have in place.
animMode flag for... doing what? he never specifies why it would be there in the first place or why the track system would need it disabled, nor why it would substantially change what an object's function is, which is already a poor design choice that is now compounded by lack of clarity.
Also, because the true variable is reading as (4) instead of (1) in the debugger, it's almost certainly going to be an uninitialized variable, which is like the most basic C++ 101 programming error you could ever possibly make.
IT IS LOLOLOL
45fps in a basic test scene with lighting disabled on a dev machine, hopefully they have a TON of debug flags enabled that is causing that (spoiler: it shouldn't happen even with a debugger attached unless it's hosed).

The bug in the first place was either incredibly forced and contrived, or CIG really do have programmers that couldn't finish an intro to C++ class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRfhLvSSGJo&feature=youtu.be&list=PLVct2QDhDrB3tDp7Sk8z_LKNaR0hDtazF

quote:

- Horrific spaghetticode in their destructor. Why is there different functionality based on whether or not a "pLocalPlayerInteractionPlugin" flag is set? Why is that logic not included in the LeaveAllPlayerPlugins function? Why are these plugins not responsible for cleaning themselves up? Why is HUD being informed of these events from here?!?
- He calls the function "ExitInit" but it's clearly spelled as "ExitInt". This implies the exact opposite function that he's referring to. It takes all of two seconds to right click -> rename identifier in VS. And save the next poor soul who inherits that godforsaken codebase two hours as he struggles to figure that out.
- The 'check that the player can exit the vehicle from somewhere' is a horrible mess of spaghetti dependencies.
- There is no rhyme or reason for how values are tested. Why do some use an IsEquivalent(ZERO) while others are not.
- Why is a Matrix34w struct being used in this block of code. If there are multiple formats of matricies being used, how does one know what each function returns and what each function expects? If all matrix types are assumed to be the same, why is it not abstracted out to a single, impossible-to-mistype Matrix struct? If not, why is there no built-in function documentation clearly defining what is expected? And does each function religiously check that the types are what are needed (spoiler: the codeblock in that section already failed this). In which case, we now have a pretty good idea why T-posing commandos are so commonplace.
- Why are there thread exiting while the debugger is stopped? What are they doing in the background that necessitates spinning up and killing threads while the game is running? Why are they not pooled?!?
- Why is there anything at all relating to missiles in seat class?!
- Lua errors popping up. They're using Lua for parts of the game. I would love so dearly to see how they're integrating that and what parts of their logic they've moved to script.
- "Execute Exit will run an animation and then eventually execute Execute Exit" have I stepped into an alternate reality where Dr. Seuss writes code designed for torturing programmers? There is literally nothing about this that is not wrong.
- I'm almost getting epilepsy from the warnings and errors whizzing by. What is the purpose of enabling a warning system if you're going to ignore their output? I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume he was working from a branch that someone was in the process of overhauling that system in. I can't stomach the alternative.
- Again with the thousands and thousands of lines of code per file. No wonder he can only get around them by ctrl+f.
- His 'fix' involves adding yet more vague and unclear spaghetti code to the mess. Even with his description of what the code does, I would still need to look through all of the surrounding code and what is called to even begin to unravel what exactly it's trying to accomplish. The variations of "Exit" actively work against informing the reader what "Exit" means. Well written code can be understood just by reading it - this is not well written code.
- He describes why the server should be authoritative over these events. This is true and good. Except he had just described earlier how players are responsible for other state changes, which does not follow the design he just mentioned.
- "It won't reset his entity id when he leaves the seat". Why would an entity ID ever change, especially just when they change from sitting to standing? This is just agonizingly wrong. The only plausible explanation I can come up with is that they're sharing player data with ship data based on whether or not the player is sitting - so when the player is sitting, he 'becomes' the ship. It pains my soul to even contemplate the amount of subtle bugs that will allow. And it could be solved so much more cleanly and simply if it had been designed properly from the beginning.
- m_isEntering. Why is player state controlled by a set of multiple flags instead of a proper state machine? This is My First 2D Platformer Tutorial levels of terrible.
- "Failed to init PositionAdjust due to missing pa[ramater?]" sounds like yet another wonderful byproduct of spaghetti.
- "I just realized that that true enables transitions and we don't want transitions" - Because you're writing horrible kludges to duct tape spaghetti together.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Oh, here is the updated newsletter talking about new concept ship sale coming May 19th for $275

And they're going to be skimming an additional $5 off the top of CCU accounts now.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
rekt

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, it is pretty bad. One of the more amusing ones is several months ago is where he removed a vector/list for collision checking for performance reasons.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

D_Smart posted:

Dead as it in never coming out as pitched. In fact, my main source is so certain that it has a high risk of never coming out, that they claim it's now just a "show of appearances" for Chris and Sandi.

Oh, latest newsletter. Buy a mystery ship.

http://mailchi.mp/cloudimperiumgames/meet-the-defender-of-the-banu-140369?e=c733d8e2e6

As pitched? I thought it was just supposed to be Wing Commander with graphics and mocap cutscenes. There are teams of instant noodle slurping modders that can put something like that together. Even on Cryengine. Even if they can't use all the mocap for whatever reason, they could still just make the poor man's Panzer Dragoon in space. Even CIG can do that much.

Edit: surely

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I'm having flashbacks to my decision to get out of programming and into IT security.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Is tarp his clothing size?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Schedule updated.

Apparently Levski (NyX COMING SOON 2015) has been cut out of 3.0

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Oh, here is the updated newsletter talking about new concept ship sale coming May 19th for $275

And they're going to be skimming an additional $5 off the top of CCU accounts now.

Geesus Christ, talk about outright fraud.

There are people that have 30+ el-cheapo ships for the LTI for CCU purposes. Now they are getting hit for $5 to upgrade. What a debacle.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

:laffo:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6at86u/reasons_im_excited_for_alpha_30/

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Schedule updated.

Apparently Levski (NyX COMING SOON 2015) has been cut out of 3.0

This kills the crobberts

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

He's dead to me... He became a trial lawyer specializing in wrongful butt sniffing cases and clearly I'm a military man.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

lol if crobbers got hit with wannacry

Next sale will happen very soon, and payment is only accepted in Bitcoin.

Alternatively, this would be a great excuse for them to use. "Someone who is no longer with CIG opened an infected email, and before we could stop it, several key computers were locked. As good Americans, we won't give into terrorism, so 3.0 is going to be delayed while we recreate the work that had gone into it. We hope our loyal Citizens will understand how this completely real and not our fault situation arose. Also, why not buy a poster of our totally unique mascot, Bonjour Puddytat, shooting a space hacker in the face? Only $14.99 plus $29.99 S&H."

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

Next sale will happen very soon, and payment is only accepted in Bitcoin.

Alternatively, this would be a great excuse for them to use. "Someone who is no longer with CIG opened an infected email, and before we could stop it, several key computers were locked. As good Americans, we won't give into terrorism, so 3.0 is going to be delayed while we recreate the work that had gone into it. We hope our loyal Citizens will understand how this completely real and not our fault situation arose. Also, why not buy a poster of our totally unique mascot, Bonjour Puddytat, shooting a space hacker in the face? Only $14.99 plus $29.99 S&H."

Remember when that developer fell off his bike and broke his wrist , And it delayed everything by 4 weeks ?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

D_Smart posted:

"Starting with this sale, the base price for all CCUs will be $5. We've been thinking about this change for a while because there are currently 1.1 million unused CCUs in our system, and we could definitely use another $5.5 million dollars. For those of you wondering how we can assume that we'll get $5 that many times over, please allow me to remind you that nobody here is making a game - just .jpegs of ships that will never exist, and never be flyable or usable in any meaningful way. As a result of this gaming innovation, we will keep releasing one concept chassis after another for the next month or two until we've got this new revenue stream off the ground. People aren't buying new stuff any more now that the scam is exposed and we're collapsing, but we see this as a definite way to help reduce the financial hemorrhaging while we plan our exit strategy."

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.

Chin posted:

Ok so we all saw the guy picking up random objects and placing them around a confined area with a sink or something right? Then I realized. What's cooler than doing a Sims type decoration of a home? Getting a home and getting things yourself. Want a couch? You have to go to the store, have it either shipped to your ship, or to your home (more expensive) and especially for a couch, you'd need a hover dolly or whatever. It would feel soo cool to actually go buy a bunch of stuff and load it in my ship, and drive it home. Then I could unload and place things around as I see fit. Anyone have any other ideas that sparked from the ATV?

How about a Space IKEA so you can browse the showroom for furniture you like and then take it home as cargo in your Freelancer. Then, you can spend several hours using Items 2.0 to manipulate an Allen wrench to assemble your new bookshelf and entertainment center.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Can someone explain what a ccu is , And how much they cost before ?

They're the upgrade tickets right ? So you take a generic space ship A and CCU it to a generic space ship A with hyper lasers

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Dark Off posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRfhLvSSGJo&feature=youtu.be&list=PLVct2QDhDrB3tDp7Sk8z_LKNaR0hDtazF

quote:

- "It won't reset his entity id when he leaves the seat". Why would an entity ID ever change, especially just when they change from sitting to standing? This is just agonizingly wrong. The only plausible explanation I can come up with is that they're sharing player data with ship data based on whether or not the player is sitting - so when the player is sitting, he 'becomes' the ship. It pains my soul to even contemplate the amount of subtle bugs that will allow. And it could be solved so much more cleanly and simply if it had been designed properly from the beginning.

:gary:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sappo569 posted:

Can someone explain what a ccu is , And how much they cost before ?

They're the upgrade tickets right ? So you take a generic space ship A and CCU it to a generic space ship A with hyper lasers

It's a cross-chassis upgrade ticket that gives you the flexibility to swap out your poo poo Mustang* for a totally pimp Mustang* with racing stripes and an automated dildo with <USE> functionality and all you have to pay for is the difference in price.

*Game does not exist.

A zero-dollar CCU lets you swap between ships of equal value.

This is a feature that any other game would consider something you could just build into the game and it be a feature. CIG built it with future monetization in mind. And as with most things Roberts related, the future is now! It'll now cost $5 for a ticket, which means you can bet your bottom, your middle, and most of your top dollars that CIG is about to release a flurry of concept ships that are identical to every ship they have currently, but with one distinguishing feature that spergs crave, wringing that extra $5 - multiplied not by every backer, but by every ship.

CIG is like a loving glossary of confidence scam techniques.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Greetings citizens!
Here we are for another round of 3.0.0 and Global Progress Schedules!
3.0.0 Progress Watch
This week has been a quite difficult one to build the Progress Watch. There has been a lot of changes, but the texts and the images often contradict each other. I usually use the images as they are more accurate, but this time I think some images have not been properly updated, so I relied on the text instead.
Let's start with the PU Content. The mission givers are going to require some additionnal work to improve their behavior, which will need 3 more weeks of work. The delamar / Levski landing zone is also requiring 4 more weeks of work. This puts the PU Content right in the critical path for 3.0.0 release, but since Levski is a stretch goal, it could be removed from 3.0.0 if it takes too long to complete.
The Gameplay team has also delayed the Insurance task, because they can't work on it yet due to some pre-required backend technology not being ready yet. Also, a new task has appeared and it's an exciting one! There is now work in progress to get our Rovers and Dragonflys In Ships!
For the same reason, the Entity Owner Manager from Core Tech is also delayed as they need some network persistence dependencies to be resolved first.
On the UI front, the Kiosk UI is waiting for some tech, and the StarMap App is having some troubles in its development. The StarMap is a huge App with tons of dependencies, on the website and in-game, so this kind of delays are to be expected.
Continuing with the AI team, the AI turrets are delayed, but the text description isn't up to date so we don't have a reason yet.
The Graphics team is close to completing the beautiful Volumetric Fog (we saw an example yesterday on ATV) and needs a few more days to put the finishing touches.
The network team is hard at work to fix the remaining bugs in the Physics Serialization, a critical feature to improve stability while traversing multiple physics grids.
The Ships & Weapons part is... quite contradictory. The image of the schedule and the text don't seem up to date, and have very different informations (at least on the weapons part). For that reason, I will wait until the next schedule to see what has really changed in that front.
Finally, some ships (and features) have been completed this week :
Radar System (Gameplay)
Drake Dragonfly
RSI Constellation Aquila
Misc Prospector
Galliant Rifle (Rework)
Global Progress Watch
Nothing interesting on the Global Progress Watch this week, all changes are also in the 3.0.0 Progress Watch.
See you next week for more Schedule Adventures!
Archives : 2.6.3 2.6.2 2.6.1 2.6.0

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=9085&open=star_citizen_airship_city_home__digital_

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

5 years in, and I still can't get over the fact that they're selling ship concepts.

Not ships, not the promise of a ship, not a demo ship, not a starter ship, not the Good Ship Lollipop.

Just the concept. "Ship Concept Sale." Keep sending your disability checks, backers. Nobody's more disabled than Chris Roberts - it's pretty fair when you keep that in mind.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sappo569 posted:

Remember when that developer fell off his bike and broke his wrist , And it delayed everything by 4 weeks ?

I'm honestly surprised they haven't done more of that after backers fell for it the first time.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Real question at what point do you stop doing major content patches and still call your product alpha

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

You have to do a major content patch before you can stop doing them.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

female model is in... I'm sure Sandi had nothing to do with the art direction

the crowd goes mild

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6au2dn/female_character_model/

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

JugbandDude posted:

Imagine you are done moving your stuff, so naturally you are chilling next to your ship, at the space docks. Suddenly a very hot lady emerges from a ship next to yours. You offer to help her unload her cargo, because you are a gentleman and hope she will have sex with you as payment. After hours of hard work in the 'verse, you are rewarded with a sore back and two weeks in the station hospital. And she didn't even give you her phone number, the fidelity!

This is unironically Star Citizen.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

5 years in, and I still can't get over the fact that they're selling ship concepts.

Not ships, not the promise of a ship, not a demo ship, not a starter ship, not the Good Ship Lollipop.

Just the concept. "Ship Concept Sale." Keep sending your disability checks, backers. Nobody's more disabled than Chris Roberts - it's pretty fair when you keep that in mind.

We are still waiting on a female model. And a decent patcher. What a clusterfuck.

My god, some random dude is flying a Port Olisar ring through space like a kid that absconded his dad's Camaro.

This shitheap keeps on giving.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

TheAgent posted:

lol if crobbers got hit with wannacry

2017 is an amazing wonderland where anything imaginable can happen.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Abuminable posted:

How about a Space IKEA so you can browse the showroom for furniture you like and then take it home as cargo in your Freelancer. Then, you can spend several hours using Items 2.0 to manipulate an Allen wrench to assemble your new bookshelf and entertainment center.

Reminder that Chris wanted an NPC salesperson to walk up and immerse you in the ship buying experience. lol

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Thoatse posted:

female model is in... I'm sure Sandi had nothing to do with the art direction

the crowd goes mild

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6au2dn/female_character_model/

Is now the right time to ask, when doing it Star Citizen T-Pose style, which is the right way, the male or the female on top? (I need to know so I can let the hooker know for my next role playing session)

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Normally they are clipped so hard into each other you can't tell.