Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Kopijeger posted:

Why assume that commenting on the fact that something happens makes you mad about it? Have no particular opinion on it.

You could have just said '1', you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

quote:

This romantic action musical portrays Alexandre Dumas' "The Three Musketeers," one of the classics of human civilization, with a new twist. Our story is set in France, where Louis XIV, the "Sun King," rules. D'Artagnan, a newly commissioned musketeer, has been assigned to serve as the king's fencing partner. The king, however, exhibits no interest in swordplay, as he is enthralled by the art of dance. One day, D'Artagnan learns of a secret concerning the king that will shake the very foundations of the House of Bourbon...
This action romanesque is a production of immense scale that will wow audiences with D'Artagnan's love and bravery as he sets out on an adventure to support his sovereign lord, Louis XIV, as well as his friendship with the Three Musketeers who fight at his side. "The Three Musketeers," a tale with adoring fans across the globe, now hits the stage at the Takarazuka Revue in a new iteration written and directed by Shuichiro Koike.

This show sounds kind of amazing, honestly.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

Yeah this rules

Edit: also holy hell. Someone make a Kelly edit for "politoons when we do/don't talk about race"

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cat Mattress posted:

Japan needs greater representation of its Ainu minority.

There also tend to be a lot of racist depictions of Korean and Chinese people, and general racism towards southeast asian immigrants. Japan is not the monoculture it pretends to be.

But their racism looks different from ours. Saying "look at then besmirching the purity of French literature!" is pretty goddamn ridiculous.

Also that show does sound pretty good.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
A lot of people seem to be confused about some aspects of the whitewashing controversies, and luckily Idea Channel just released this really interesting and helpful video explaining a lot of it and why it matters. Check it out.

Also, saying "it's wrong in the US because it's multicultural, but it's fine in Japan/China/India/wherever because those are more homogenic cultures" is pretty offensively wrong. Literally every single country on the planet Earth has bad issues with racism and ethnic minorities, and those problems aren't insignificant just because the population of said minorities are smaller.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

tyblazitar posted:

A lot of people seem to be confused about some aspects of the whitewashing controversies, and luckily Idea Channel just released this really interesting and helpful video explaining a lot of it and why it matters. Check it out.

Also, saying "it's wrong in the US because it's multicultural, but it's fine in Japan/China/India/wherever because those are more homogenic cultures" is pretty offensively wrong. Literally every single country on the planet Earth has bad issues with racism and ethnic minorities, and those problems aren't insignificant just because the population of said minorities are smaller.

Just don't say "yellow-washed" anymore. It's icky and racist.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Don't you get that a bad thing happening somewhere else that's analagous to a bad thing happening here makes both things totally loving fine?

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

tyblazitar posted:

I agree that all countries should be held to that standard, I believe in it and multiculturalism.

But I can't really say I'm naive enough to be able to say that those standards currently apply globally, and that at the end of the day I can argue that it's important for any place that openly sells itself as multicultural that it is important for them to adhere to those standards. It's problematic when they don't because of poor representation when representation is something that is supposed to be an iconic aspect of that country, again it leads people to believe for instance that the US is a white country.

Can I hold Japan to that standard when they're so closed off as a cultural standard? I can't in reality, I want to and I would love to see every country to do so, right now though, I can only hold the countries that say they support multiculturalism accountable.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Skippy Granola posted:

How about "Japanese Actors playing fictional characters?"

D'Artagnan wasn't a fictional character.

quote:

Mail:
MAC on... The Labour Party's new manifesto

Eskimos do buy refrigerators, because they stop food getting too cold. Likewise Britain needs Labour's manifesto to avoid the catastrophes that will be caused by the total lack of a plan from the Tories. AGC.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't think that the Japanese have a shortage of media starring white people available to them, which makes the idea that they somehow need to scrounge up white actors to star in Japanese plays or movies kinda strange.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

What's the deal with fox hunting? Are they endangered in the UK or something?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Pants Donkey posted:

I would assume the deal is that foxes are cool and chasing one around on horses with dogs until they tear it limb from limb is barbaric as gently caress.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

RoboRodent posted:

The 'new twist' is clearly that the Musketeers serve the Sun King and not his father like in the original story :colbert:

Edit: Foxes are a rural pest but hunting with hounds is literally the least efficient way to control their population. People participating are also pretty much all rich twats so gently caress em

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 12, 2017

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Skippy Granola posted:

Just don't say "yellow-washed" anymore. It's icky and racist.
That was Kopijeger, not me.

Syfe posted:

I agree that all countries should be held to that standard, I believe in it and multiculturalism.

But I can't really say I'm naive enough to be able to say that those standards currently apply globally, and that at the end of the day I can argue that it's important for any place that openly sells itself as multicultural that it is important for them to adhere to those standards. It's problematic when they don't because of poor representation when representation is something that is supposed to be an iconic aspect of that country, again it leads people to believe for instance that the US is a white country.

Can I hold Japan to that standard when they're so closed off as a cultural standard? I can't in reality, I want to and I would love to see every country to do so, right now though, I can only hold the countries that say they support multiculturalism accountable.

First of all, countries can't talk, and the claim that "the US supports multiculturalism" is an interesting one to make these days. This effort to draw a clear distinction between "multicultural" and "non-multicultural" countries is confusing to me, and I doubt it's particularly enlightening or helpful.

Second, as someone who has first-hand experience of life in Japan as a foreigner, I wish that Japan had a lot better representation of non-ethnically Japanese people in its popular media, especially for the more marginalized groups of society.

EDIT: Third, the Takarazuka Revue is amazing and if you ever have a chance you should definitely check out one of their shows, even if you can't understand the dialogue.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Feinne posted:

I would assume the deal is that foxes are cool and chasing one around on horses with dogs until they tear it limb from limb is barbaric as gently caress.
:stare: I thought the dog lead them to one and they shot it

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pants Donkey posted:

Sounds like it's a class thing. Even Tory voters don't really care but it keeps ending up on their manifesto because TRADITION.

There are, if anything, too many foxes in England, but rich people chasing them with hounds and shooting them is not an efficient way of controlling the population.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 12, 2017

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

It's a bit of a misnomer - it's not illegal to hunt or kill a fox, other than usual animal cruelty laws.

However, there is an old upper-class tradition of hunting foxes riding horses with large packs of aggressive dogs. They flush out the foxes, chase them, and tear them apart. Although the hunters carry guns, they generally don't actually shoot the foxes unless the dogs don't completely kill them. The practice was made illegal during the Blair years, as it is cruel.

Naturally, the tories want to bring it back, as fleeting concepts like "ethics" may have no bearing on what games rich white people get to play.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cloks posted:

Two things happened. A bad comic.

The coke button. :3:

It's good because of the art. I think the artist does superhero comics too.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pants Donkey posted:

:stare: I thought the dog lead them to one and they shot it

I don't think you get how the British upper class works.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sandpuppy posted:

Soon Miyazaki will control all of Hollywood.

I thought this was a commentary on those god-awful Funko dolls that get made for every piece of media.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I thought this was a commentary on those god-awful Funko dolls that get made for every piece of media.

It can be both

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
As one of the twenty people who actually saw Ghost in the Shell it's funny as poo poo to include it with those others.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Feinne posted:

As one of the twenty people who actually saw Ghost in the Shell it's funny as poo poo to include it with those others.
How come? I mean, I heard that its a multicultural cast but there's no getting away from the headliner being white.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !
With regards to fox hunting, it's very much a thing that the upper classes do to remind themselves of Better Times when People Knew Their Place.

Foxes can be a pest in rural areas as they're quite good at getting into enclosures for smaller animals (chickens, rabbits) and killing the whole stock and only taking one as actual food. I can understand why foxes were considered worthy of extermination in the past where even one such break-in could cost you your livelihood, but now most people who keep animals on a small scale are doing it to teach little Noah exactly Where His Food Comes From.

The fox hunt itself is pretty much a call-back to when people who owned the country rode horses. It's a big pageant of noise, colour and horsemanship to hunt something that basically fills the same ecological niche as a loving house cat. A pack of hounds will track the fox, followed by the inbred shitheads on horseback. If the hounds catch the fox in the open, it gets torn to shreds. If the fox goes to ground, then a small terrier is sent into whatever burrow to find the fox, latch on to it and make a lot of noise. The fox is then dug out and, again, usually thrown to the hounds.

If you were actually interested in keeping control of the fox population, you would do the humane thing that is done with every other pest animal over a certain size and blow its brains out with a rifle from a reasonable distance.

Having grown up in the British countryside I've developed a deep loathing for horsey people in general. It's like owning a gigantic dog that can poo poo everywhere at will and make a big loving deal of itself and owner every time you have to pass one when you're out for a walk.

Also, pheasant shooting can also gently caress off. Congrats! You blew one of the stupidest animals in the history of living things out of the sky with your £20,000 shotgun!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Or you can pull a Chaney and shoot a friend.:69snypa:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Samurai Sanders posted:

How come? I mean, I heard that its a multicultural cast but there's no getting away from the headliner being white.

She's secretly a Japanese woman in a white woman's body, which makes it worse IMHO.

gently caress that movie.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Boogoose posted:

£20,000 shotgun

I have no doubt that, if I looked it up, I would find such a thing, but it would be far less jewel-encrusted than the one I'm picturing.

EDIT - That would, in fact, be the minimum value of the one Dick Chaney used.

DOUBLE EDIT - Engraved with gold plating isn't that far off on the Treasure Table, so I'm not completely disappointed, just disgusted.

After The War fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 13, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Samurai Sanders posted:

The entire point of GITS is that the protagonist is in a fully artificial body and that she can change it if she wants to.

Boogoose
Oct 5, 2003

GIVE ME THE CASH !

After The War posted:

I have no doubt that, if I looked it up, I would find such a thing, but it would be far less jewel-encrusted than the one I'm picturing.

There are gunsmiths such as Purdey that hand-make bespoke pieces, usually in pairs. The tolerances are crazy tight and they usually have incredibly intricate engraving on metal parts. They are no more or less accurate than a £500 gat from Beretta, because it's a shotgun it don't need no accuracy and it's single action so reliability isn't much of an issue either.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm figuring that some bespoke early 19th century piece (with hand crafted ammo) would really rub it in the faces of the new money.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Improbable Lobster posted:

She's secretly a Japanese woman in a white woman's body, which makes it worse IMHO.

gently caress that movie.
Are you serious? I thought someone said she got a cyborg body that looked like her old body.

I mean in the GOOD GITS stuff she's been a cyborg for so long she has basically forgotten what she was originally like and just changes bodies to fit her mood, but I thought this movie ignored all of that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

After The War posted:

EDIT - That would, in fact, be the minimum value of the one Dick Chaney used.

The idea that Cheney thought he needed an Olympic-grade shotgun to hunt quail says a lot about the world.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Cat Mattress posted:

The entire point of GITS is that the protagonist is in a fully artificial body and that she can change it if she wants to.

Literally every adaptation describes her as looking Japanese.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are you serious? I thought someone said she got a cyborg body that looked like her old body.

I mean in the GOOD GITS stuff she's been a cyborg for so long she has basically forgotten what she was originally like and just changes bodies to fit her mood, but I thought this movie ignored all of that.

She never actually swaps how her body looks. Even when she's explicitly being put into a new body in Stand Alone Complex it looks exactly like her previous one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Improbable Lobster posted:

She never actually swaps how her body looks. Even when she's explicitly being put into a new body in Stand Alone Complex it looks exactly like her previous one.

?

Granted one of those was because it was the only one that was available, but still.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Samurai Sanders posted:

?

Granted one of those was because it was the only one that was available, but still.

Multiple designs from different adaptations, all of which are Japanese women and one of which is after she's become a digital being after merging with an AI.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kegluneq posted:

The 'new twist' is clearly that the Musketeers serve the Sun King and not his father like in the original story :colbert:

Actually, in Vingt Ans Après and Le Vicomte de Bragellone, Louis XIV is the king (albeit a kid under regency in the first).

Furthermore, Ving Ans Après was always considered the important part of the story by Dumas, to the point where he adapted it simply as The Three Musketeers in theatres (later adapting the first novel as a prequel).

Edit: :goonsay:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The idea that Cheney thought he needed an Olympic-grade shotgun to hunt quail says a lot about the world.

Cage-raised quail. Whatever you think of Cheney's pastime, "hunting" is not a word that should be used to describe it.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

The movie starts with the major being told her brain was originally saved from a dying racially-non specified/presumably white "refugee" called Mira Killian. In the third act she learns her brain was forcibly taken from a Japanese-ethnicity protester called Motoko Kusanagi. The whole film is a non-direct adaptation with lots of nods to the source material so it feels well-intentioned but obviously struck a sour note with a lot of people.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sardine Wit posted:

The movie starts with the major being told her brain was originally saved from a dying racially-non specified/presumably white "refugee" called Mira Killian. In the third act she learns her brain was forcibly taken from a Japanese-ethnicity protester called Motoko Kusanagi. The whole film is a non-direct adaptation with lots of nods to the source material so it feels well-intentioned but obviously struck a sour note with a lot of people.
Oh wow that's a lot more interesting than I thought from reviews, but I guess they couldn't spoil it. I'll still wait until I can watch it for free though.

I knew it was not a direct adaptation though (which is good), only that it had scenes from the old movie haphazardly crammed in anyway.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
They leapt in front of the parade of their own criticism, which is sort of a cute trick to pull but maybe doesn't excuse doing it in the first place.

• Locked thread