Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/863145278840418304

It looks like the papers are going for the 'why did they ignore the warnings???' attack angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

serious gaylord posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/863145278840418304

It looks like the papers are going for the 'why did they ignore the warnings???' attack angle.

If they're going to ask that then to the gulag with anyone unable to say 'Inability to fund better IT due to cuts'.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
CYBER HACKERS

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

WATCH OUT THEY'RE COMING FOR YOUR DATA

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

namesake posted:

So question for people in the know: say this event is a major push towards a completely nationalised NHS with a completely isolated network for critical systems to protect patient data from this sort of thing. How difficult would it be to build such a national network (very, obviously, but how much work would be involved) and would there be any way of incorporating wireless transmission, or is that inherently unsecure?

One of the infosec threads would be the best place to ask really. I don't think wireless is inherently insecure, but obviously the remote access aspect makes for a shedload of other security considerations. But there are best practices to follow, and ideally you'd limit access to the bare minimum

I remember talk of a kind of a kind of anonymised patient database, where you'd only have access to a general profile and history associated with an NHS number or something similar - the actual database linking a profile to a person would be more restricted. So you can create different levels of information sharing and modification, with different security policies for various roles and situations (like at a secure computer vs on a tablet in a clinical setting)

It's sort of an open-ended question and I dunno if we have anyone with that kind of broad overview of the current system and exactly what it should be like. But really you need this to be properly designed, top-down, and fully audited for compliance. Instead of the current 'hey let's get a bunch of contractors in to make isolated parts however they want using their proprietary software, the free market will surely make this cool and efficient' mess

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Also the system has to be usable by atrocious reception staff which does not help with security.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The few times i've been to hospital the medical staff were all lovely but the reception staff treated everyone like scum and were always in foul moods. That's my anecdotal story and why I wish for the privatisation of the NHS. Those crones must pay.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'd be making GBS threads myself if i was the person responsible lmao

https://intel.malwaretech.com/botnet/wcrypt

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

jBrereton posted:

Also the system has to be usable by atrocious reception staff which does not help with security.

If it's properly designed it shouldn't matter. People are (supposed to be) the biggest security weakness so the system should be designed for that. Don't expose more than you need to, get a decent authentication system (not passwords because they'll stick them to the monitor), enforce security policies like locking down the computers and wiping them regularly, that kind of thing

If it's properly designed it should all Just Work and minimise any potential problems. When you have a mess of different systems and hoops you need to jump through and the freedom to do things your own way, that's when things get really complicated and insecure

I'm just talking generally because I don't really know much about this, but it would be a massive project for something the size of the NHS. You'd have to design it properly and build it properly and train everyone to use it and shift all the data over into the new system, running it in parallel so everyone could switch over and leave the old system for good. It's a huge investment but it still needs to be done

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

baka kaba posted:

One of the infosec threads would be the best place to ask really. I don't think wireless is inherently insecure, but obviously the remote access aspect makes for a shedload of other security considerations. But there are best practices to follow, and ideally you'd limit access to the bare minimum

No need. Wireless means your security has to hold up without you knowing who's trying to open it, which is a risk, but making the entire system a fortress that is completely immune to attacks like this is fairly trivial with adequate funding.

Basically you take a whitelist approach and then tell the users to get lost when they want more access.

EDIT: Also, no, it wouldn't be a massive project because it benefits from economy of scale. Wiping the systems is stupid, passwords are fine as long as you combo them with, say, a rfid chip in the user's thigh and training people again would be mostly unnecessary.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 12, 2017

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/withorpe/status/863088159961210880

Well this might have legs.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I'm talking about designing and architecting an entirely new system from the ground up, built for purpose around best practices. I mean as I understand it, the NHS as a whole is a mishmash of different systems made by different contractors who have no interest in making their software interact smoothly with other companies' software, data still isn't completely centralised, different trusts are doing things in different ways and so on

If you're redoing the whole thing that would seem like a very big project, just for the sheer scope, and then you definitely need to retrain people if the processes have changed - ideally they would if your goal is to streamline things instead of having people work around all these quirks of the current setup. Even a change in the UI would require training for a lot of people, just because It's Different

I mean isn't this why all the past attempts at a do-over have failed? Nobody's willing to commit to the cost of something so big with such a long horizon

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

I liked LastPass but they've had a number of security holes found of late (by a Google security researcher, and they were all patched promptly, but still). Other popular managers that I have not used and which may also have security holes, but at least they haven't been made public yet, are Keepass and 1password. I believe both differ from LastPass in that you store the vault yourself, rather than them doing it on their server. This is potentially more secure but if you gently caress up then you're hosed. Dropbox is a popular option for storing your vault to make it accessible across devices and probably recoverable if you accidentally delete it.
Yeah, LastPass is good and cool if you're managing your email and amazon logins and stuff. For any critical security at the personal or SME level then you're better with Keepass, which stores a local database encrypted by a single master password. I've not used 1password but I think that's the same.

I'm not sure how that'd scale up to a corporate/infrastructure level but you should have the funding to get someone to find out when they're doing your security audit if you're a critical sector, Jeremy Hunt you cock.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Someone inform the Mail!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

baka kaba posted:

I'm talking about designing and architecting an entirely new system from the ground up, built for purpose around best practices. I mean as I understand it, the NHS as a whole is a mishmash of different systems made by different contractors who have no interest in making their software interact smoothly with other companies' software, data still isn't completely centralised, different trusts are doing things in different ways and so on

If you're redoing the whole thing that would seem like a very big project, just for the sheer scope, and then you definitely need to retrain people if the processes have changed - ideally they would if your goal is to streamline things instead of having people work around all these quirks of the current setup. Even a change in the UI would require training for a lot of people, just because It's Different

I mean isn't this why all the past attempts at a do-over have failed? Nobody's willing to commit to the cost of something so big with such a long horizon

The second most important data collection tool that the NHS has (after Secondary User Service) is a secure website which doesn't work properly (as in, it doesn't work) in Firefox and must be set up in compatibility mode in Chrome or IE after version 7.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Poor firefox. The other browser.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

baka kaba posted:

You're clueless.

This isn't a difficult problem to solve. We have the tools.

You just need the people making the decisions make decisions that work in the long run, to refuse all sorts of nice resort conferences from people selling their systems and to not let promoting themselves get in the way of making a functional system. It's even cheaper in the long run, though the initial spike is substantially bigger than just re-licensing software.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

Someone inform the Mail!

"immigrants mean NHS can't afford software updates"

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Julio Cruz posted:

"immigrants mean NHS can't afford software updates"

"Global cyber attack that uses stolen NSA superweapon cripples the world"

Oh wait that one's actually real

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pochoclo posted:

"Tool created using public money to spy on foreigners in the interests of capital ends up costing more public money and lives."

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

"Tool created using public money to spy on foreigners in the interests of capital ends up costing more public money and lives."

Change that to 'use on foreigners' and you've just described the entire military and most of the culture budget,

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Regarde Aduck posted:

The few times i've been to hospital the medical staff were all lovely but the reception staff treated everyone like scum and were always in foul moods. That's my anecdotal story and why I wish for the privatisation of the NHS. Those crones must pay.

I applied for a job at the reception of my local GP surgery, which is in a local hospital. They rejected me. I guess now I know why, I wasn't curmudgeonly enough.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

namesake posted:

Change that to 'use on foreigners' and you've just described the entire military and most of the culture budget,
Well yeah, but at least they've managed not to crash Trident into a hospital yet.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
It's cool living in an actual dystopian cyberpunk future, but i really wish we had more neon and mohawks.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Oberleutnant posted:

It's cool living in an actual dystopian cyberpunk future, but i really wish we had more neon and mohawks.

Be the change you wish to see in the world

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Pochoclo posted:

Just in case anyone wasn't aware, that's literally the Mail's front page tomorrow.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Oberleutnant posted:

go out in Shoreditch and get your fill

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've been out of the loop today. Did the Tories sabotage the NHS or what?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

I've been out of the loop today. Did the Tories sabotage the NHS or what?

Actually their normal everyday sabotage has been briefly out done by a spotty European teenager from their parents house.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

baka kaba posted:

The NHS has around 46,000 different networks, the vast majority of which are administered completely independently of each other.

There is no 'starting over', it would be an incomprehensively vast project.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ getting mixed messages on this one

namesake posted:

The second most important data collection tool that the NHS has (after Secondary User Service) is a secure website which doesn't work properly (as in, it doesn't work) in Firefox and must be set up in compatibility mode in Chrome or IE after version 7.

I bet they chose that narrow platform to make a truly great experience though, right!?

endlessmonotony posted:

You're clueless.

This isn't a difficult problem to solve. We have the tools.

You just need the people making the decisions make decisions that work in the long run, to refuse all sorts of nice resort conferences from people selling their systems and to not let promoting themselves get in the way of making a functional system. It's even cheaper in the long run, though the initial spike is substantially bigger than just re-licensing software.

I don't know why you think this contradicts what I said or makes the project actually no big deal at all. Yes it needs to be run top-down with an iron fist and not by a belief in ~free market magic~. Yes that will be far better in the long run. No that doesn't make overhauling one of the world's largest organisations (literally dealing with life and death) a quick and trivial exercise. It means a cost commitment now with the benefits delivered in the future, possibly to another government - assuming it even makes it that far without the next government cancelling the whole thing. "You just need [everything to go perfectly without politics and bureaucracy interfering]" is a nice thought and all

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Jose posted:

Chrome stores saved passwords in plain text lol

They are stored encrypted rather than hashed because websites expect them in plain text. All browsers do this.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
>Hack the planet
>send spike

Im zerocool lol

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

baka kaba posted:

I don't know why you think this contradicts what I said or makes the project actually no big deal at all. Yes it needs to be run top-down with an iron fist and not by a belief in ~free market magic~. Yes that will be far better in the long run. No that doesn't make overhauling one of the world's largest organisations (literally dealing with life and death) a quick and trivial exercise. It means a cost commitment now with the benefits delivered in the future, possibly to another government - assuming it even makes it that far without the next government cancelling the whole thing. "You just need [everything to go perfectly without politics and bureaucracy interfering]" is a nice thought and all

IT's not your strong suit, and neither is reading between the lines.

The technology side is trivial. Quick is a matter of how much staff you hire. And it's not incomprehensibly vast either. Or even especially large.

The "getting everyone on the side of making the NHS work right without regard to personal glory or the budget" is meanwhile an impossible pipe dream. The reason it's in the shape it is now is because of cost-cutting and going with the answer that's best for careers (in the short term, incidents such as this may be a problem) as opposed to best for NHS. Fixing it isn't hard, it's expensive.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Ok my bad, redoing the NHS and all its disparate interconnected systems and switching everything over to it while it all continues to operate is actually a piece of piss

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

endlessmonotony posted:

The technology side is trivial. Quick is a matter of how much staff you hire. And it's not incomprehensibly vast either. Or even especially large.

I never realised that it could be so easy. Why, if it's such a dismissively simple task you have to ask yourself why they haven't done it already?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

baka kaba posted:

Ok my bad, redoing the NHS and all its disparate interconnected systems and switching everything over to it while it all continues to operate is actually a piece of piss

My office of 4000 odd is trying to move everything over to some new Microsoft system whilst continuing as normal. It's bad. It's very bad.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

baka kaba posted:

Unironically this. Modern computers are kind of good at doing this very thing, and we've had this problem repeatedly solved in increasingly "hold my beer" ways for the past forty years, because "how do I keep these systems up to date, secure and reliable so actual work can be done?" is basically the most answered question in IT. These days the problems come more from, say, lacking firmware upgrades for the tools to do this exact kind of poo poo. Switching over 50k networks is the same as switching over one difficulty-wise, you just need more people to coordinate it.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Any IT project that takes more than 3 months and involves more than 4 people is a loving nightmare already, I can't even imagine the horror something like that would entail. Like one of those madness-inducing vistas from Lovecraft's stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
This bit of ransomware uses a vulnerability first found by the NSA, who sat on it (and possibly used it) for ages until someone hacked them and sprayed a bunch of their secret sauce all over the internet. Only then did they tell Microsoft about it.

This ought to light a fire under all those "should the NSA/GCHQ be mostly defending or attacking" debates.

• Locked thread