Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I know Unity was buggy as gently caress at launch, but was it bad or just mediocre?

ImpAtom posted:

It also has probably one of the coolest undocumented secrets in a recent game.

You find a hidden area that unlocks a third protagonist who plays through a series of World War-era missions set during the bombing of London.

Wait what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

flatluigi posted:

I know Unity was buggy as gently caress at launch, but was it bad or just mediocre?

Wait what?

Forgive the Polygon link but:
https://www.polygon.com/2015/10/23/9602520/assassins-creed-syndicate-secret-spoilers

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sad lions posted:

That's AC Unity. A bad bad game. Syndicate was legit fun and if you hate the modern story stuff it's probably your best bet as it's just a rare cutscene here and there that ties it in with the rest of the series. No modern era gameplay.

ImpAtom posted:

It also has probably one of the coolest undocumented secrets in a recent game.

You find a hidden area that unlocks a third protagonist who plays through a series of World War-era missions set during the bombing of London.

Ok, I'm not paying £35 for it, but it's going on the wishlist for the next sale.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I grabbed Syndicate on a whim during the Playstation holiday sale, maybe I'll bump it up the list.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

OutOfPrint posted:

You can play Wei Shen as the worst beat cop, the worst undercover cop, and the worst triad gangster at the same time. It's almost as beautiful as repeatedly and severely beating up those poor teenagers who are just trying to learn martial arts down at the dojo so Wei can learn how to break limbs.

It is very important that every time Wei Shen leaves his apartment he bundles one of the arguing mother/daughter couple into his boot and dumps them somewhere random.

Be nicer to each other. :argh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That reminds me of how you can dump hostages into the boots of cars in Ghost Recon: Wildlands. There is zero practical benefit for this, but you can hear them freaking out and whimpering inside.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Syndicate is a lot of fun. Solid core gameplay. The dual protagonists work well narratively because they can talk to each other instead of the player being bossed around by NPCs. The virtual tourism aspect of Victorian London is also really strong. The background NPCs often have little skits they play out if you stop and watch them.

Bar Crow has a new favorite as of 20:56 on May 12, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crossing the Thames is one of the absolute best things in any AC game.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What I LOVE about Saints Row 4 is they got past the heavy emphasis on sex jokes in 3 and really worked on character driven humor and some surprisingly clever writing. The sheer goofiness of everything that goes on, and the fact that it's a game about a character you're not really supposed to "like" in the conventional fashion, paradoxically ends up giving the game more heart than if it were more serious or grounded. There's a real sense of love throughout.

And the way they set up Jane Austen being the narrator is legitimately brilliant. It's good plotting.

On a related note, and to add something to this thread, I picked up Gat Out of Hell on sale recently, and they FINALLY made Steelport interesting! The Hell aesthetic works wonders for it and there's a sense of places to explore and different environments, even though the game itself is by necessity smaller and shorter than any of the main titles.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I dunno, I thought all the goofy stuff wore thin pretty quickly and had me wanting more of SR3. Of all the silly poo poo in that game the only thing I thoroughly enjoyed for what it was was picking the Nolan North VO.

Did not pick up gat out of hell though

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Mondian posted:

Did not pick up gat out of hell though

It's worth it for the musical number alone.

https://youtu.be/XMxVFOCpluQ

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Maxwell Lord posted:

What I LOVE about Saints Row 4 is they got past the heavy emphasis on sex jokes in 3 and really worked on character driven humor and some surprisingly clever writing. The sheer goofiness of everything that goes on, and the fact that it's a game about a character you're not really supposed to "like" in the conventional fashion, paradoxically ends up giving the game more heart than if it were more serious or grounded. There's a real sense of love throughout.

And the way they set up Jane Austen being the narrator is legitimately brilliant. It's good plotting.

SRIV gets compared to Mass Effect a lot, but all the homie stuff is very Persona, especially Shaundi and Asha's.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

The best mission in SR4 is where you enter the Nyte Blade simulation and the Boss starts off taking the piss out of Matt Miller for being a nerd but ends up getting into it.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Action Tortoise posted:

imagine trevor saying prospero's final speech in the tempest.

GTA games are all about the American Dream, and i think IV explored that theme the best with its intro and Niko's realization that he can't escape from his demons.

the dissonance between the story about a guy who's tired of killing and the gameplay offering the possibility of numerous killing sprees between missions kneecapped the overall theme, but i always thought rockstar operated on the idea that story missions are separate from the rest of the game and it's up to the player whether or not they play the role.

That still doesn't work though (at least for me), because they're setting up a world where it's more rewarding to gently caress Stuff Up instead of play the game as somebody who is trying to escape his past violent demons. They don't exactly let you help a little old lady carry her groceries home.

I liked GTA V for how they had a couple of characters who were a lot more loose and calm about wanton murder. it messes with narrative flow to have a character whining about the ramifications of violence when he's got 60 rounds left on his grenade launcher left.

I think the engine as it exists on modern consoles is actually on the way to allowing for a bit more empathy in gameplay though. stabbing people in first person in GTAV is shocking the first few times you do it, and that Euphoria engine is incredible for how it handles animations and character actions. I can't wait to see what they do with Red Dead Redemption 2

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Action Tortoise posted:

SRIV gets compared to Mass Effect a lot, but all the homie stuff is very Persona, especially Shaundi and Asha's.

Whoever came up with the romance stuff is a genius.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rumble in the bunghole posted:

"I'm looking for rough sex, and Kinzie scares me."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rumble in the bunghole posted:

My favourite is Asha's; "I'm looking for rough sex and Kinzie scares the poo poo out of me". Though Kinzie's is pretty amazing too. She just decks you with a right hook and jumps your bones :stare:.

edit: GOOOOAAAAATSE!!! :argh:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

But I couldn't get in Keith's pants ):

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
edit: it was a hot take i'm not too confident putting out there.

I'm playing World to the West and this guy is the best.

You play four characters and he's an aristocratic strongman. All he does is punch punch punch but he has the best animations. When you charge a punch he points at the direction like a taunt while he pulls back and windmills his other arm.

The best thing though is that all of the face buttons before you get attacks have him flex and when you get all your abilities one of the face buttons is still reserved for flexing.

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 04:25 on May 13, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my favourite thing in the Kingdom Hearts games is how chill Riku gets in the later games. In Dream Drop Distance he hears about Judge Frollo's breakdown and turning to evil and decides he can just try to talk to him - he knows what it's like to be tempted by evil, he can relate to him, he's been evil and crazy before... Then he meets him and just realises "Sorry, can't do that, he's clearly insane and beyond reason", but at least he tries.

I alsao like his relationship with Ansem, Seeker of Darkness, for the moment in Chain of Memories where Ansem tries to tempt him with power again and he just responds with "I've had your power before and Sora kicked both of our asses. Sorry, I'm not impressed"

He was a total weenie in the first game, I agree with FaerieFortune on that point, but he gets a lot better. He's also a more fun character to play as in both games where that is an option.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://youtu.be/B2YTp67aijc

Azmodan isn't talking to Leah. Everything he's saying is being addressed to Diablo.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Rise of the Tomb Raider is a great game, and being able to engulf your enemies in a cloud of weird herbal Russian hallucinogens so that they start murdering each other is extremely satisfying, and if you have the Baba Yaga DLC, doing it while dressed as an insane skullwitch is even better (and it gives you a bonus for doing just that!)

It helps, too, that a lot of the documents you find establish your enemies as being real vicious and irredeemable cocksuckers.

barcoded
Jan 4, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My favourite is Asha's; "I'm looking for rough sex and Kinzie scares the poo poo out of me". Though Kinzie's is pretty amazing too. She just decks you with a right hook and jumps your bones :stare:.

edit: GOOOOAAAAATSE!!! :argh:

The fact that Gat's romance option is genuinely touching and heartfelt makes this even better

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Is it Saints Row 4 where your guy has a "flirt" or "romance" dialogue option when talking to Kinzie, and your guy just goes "hey Kinzie, waaanna gently caress?" Just about poo poo my pants laughing when it happened the first time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Biplane posted:

Is it Saints Row 4 where your guy has a "flirt" or "romance" dialogue option when talking to Kinzie, and your guy just goes "hey Kinzie, waaanna gently caress?" Just about poo poo my pants laughing when it happened the first time.

And Kinzie straight up punches you in the face in a sexual way before jumping on you for sexual purposes, yes

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I played through that whole game and don't remember this at all. End credits scene?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

jojoinnit posted:

I played through that whole game and don't remember this at all. End credits scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yen8UZqomZQ

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You can bare hand blade block in Nioh - your character catches the enemy's weapon, turns it on them and thrusts it through their body. :black101:

The best thing though? There's basically no reason to do this. You do just as much, if not more, by shoving your own weapon through the person's body, and being unarmed leaves you very vulnerable because you can't block properly and have a single two-hit combo to work with. Using your hands is purely a "gently caress you" maneuver, and it's amazing.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

rydiafan posted:

https://youtu.be/B2YTp67aijc

Azmodan isn't talking to Leah. Everything he's saying is being addressed to Diablo.

I dug that. I also appreciated how there wasn't some forced happy ending where you bring her back.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I also don't remember this, did it have any requirements to unlock?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

haveblue posted:

I also don't remember this, did it have any requirements to unlock?

Do all the loyalty missions, says about ten seconds of googling.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sad lions posted:

I dug that. I also appreciated how there wasn't some forced happy ending where you bring her back.

Blizzard has unfortunately hinting at that in a sequel/expansion but with Metzen out who knows?

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I found somebody's character sheet in Prey

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Being reminded of the existence of THAC0 is not a PYF little thing though :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Youll find the rest, but in case the name doesnt click the roleplaying game is named after and all its icon art and story based on another game by the Prey developers, Arx Fatalis.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

That might be the dorkiest easter egg ever

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

The "Fatal Fortress" subplot in Prey is amazing and lends a really deft touch of humanity to what would otherwise be nameless randos in some other game. I was actually kind of upset after reading all of the material around Abigail and Danielle, only to find Abigail's corpse in the cafeteria freezer. The audio log of their Fatal Fortress game session was really cheesy and adorable.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As a PYF within the Fatal Fortress set of logs, note that despite the extremely busy character sheet every player had to hand add their HP totals because that isn't on the page.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

TontoCorazon posted:

I found somebody's character sheet in Prey

Welp I sense a new Dark Souls playthrough on the horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
For Prey I liked how a handful of the missions have rewards like none whatsoever except for the NPC's gratitude (and [double spoiler] the post-credits scene[/ds]). I'm so used to games like Deus Ex: HR where you could exactly predict the reward a quest would give you based on cost of materials/bribes the quest required :nallears: