Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Poltergrift posted:

Father with adopted daughter, formerly the daughter of a woman of his acquaintance, now dead, for whom he quit his former government career, sheltering her from the world, only for her to be drawn into a rebellion by an idealistic young man -- Sojiro's Persona is definitely Valjean, right?

Now I want to hear Jamieson Price singing.

"Who art thou? Who art I? I'm Jean Valjean!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Controversial Goro Hot Take: Right before fighting Shadow Sae, Goro puts his hand on Makoto's shoulder and says "You'll save her, yeah?" and I think that's cute and maybe the most sincere Goro ever is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the most sincere goro is ever is when he says 'did i hear something about delicious pancakes'

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The most sincere Goro ever gets is when he's like 'ahhh i'm dying the other me shot me ahhh' and then he dies.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
okay yeah, second then. he was really excited to talk about pancakes.

lmao that goro's only avenue for social interaction, food, is what destroys him in the end. pancakes betray him

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The most sincere Goro gets is when he calls the Phantom Thieves pieces of poo poo

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Endorph posted:

the most sincere goro is ever is when he says 'did i hear something about delicious pancakes'

I bet Goro doesn't even like pancakes, the little sycophant

Bogart posted:

The most sincere Goro ever gets is when he's like 'ahhh i'm dying the other me shot me ahhh' and then he dies.

Definitely this

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Controversial Goro Hot Take: Right before fighting Shadow Sae, Goro puts his hand on Makoto's shoulder and says "You'll save her, yeah?" and I think that's cute and maybe the most sincere Goro ever is

I thought the most sincere part was "I was an orphan and grew up in foster homes" during our 2nd meeting at LeBlanc. It was an intense moment since I'm sure Akira forgot who he was until weeks later when he blackmailed our friends and cat.

Justice Confident: So many missed opportunities.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He doesn't say a thing after the shots go off don't lie to me.

Moltrey posted:

He was going to kill her later so I don't think that's true.

Boy definitely loves pancakes though, maybe just as a conversation topic. But he still loves them.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

multijoe posted:

I bet Goro doesn't even like pancakes, the little sycophant
what the gently caress

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Justice Confidant was good and its main problem is how the last 2 rank ups don't make sense. Everything else though is solid.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Moltrey posted:

what the gently caress

He also says he likes justice and spicy food.

Lies.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The Justice Confidant was good and its main problem is how the last 2 rank ups don't make sense. Everything else though is solid.

I don't know what you possibly mean there, it totally makes sense for Joker to think "hm he's dead I feel closer to him than ever before" DING RANK 10

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He was going to kill her later so I don't think that's true.
Goro has such a warped experience with social interactions and viewing people, that I can get behind he wants to support the two people in the world that he can sort of talk to that aren't Joker, even if he is going to kill one, maybe both of them, at some point.

I like that Makoto just tosses out after Joker's "suicide" that "Yeah, Akechi and I had a little rivalry", like it was a silly little competition they had

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Goro has such a warped experience with social interactions and viewing people, that I can get behind he wants to support the two people in the world that he can sort of talk to that aren't Joker, even if he is going to kill one, maybe both of them, at some point.

I like that Makoto just tosses out after Joker's "suicide" that "Yeah, Akechi and I had a little rivalry", like it was a silly little competition they had

I legitimately think that Sae was like the 2nd closest acquaintance he had to a friend, but all throughout Sae's palace he is just so obviously over-dramatically reacting to everything Shadow Sae does that I can't take anything he says regarding her as sincere. Like, whenever more stuff about Sae is revealed he'll go on a spiel about how he can't believe the person he respected so much has fallen so far, and it's his fault because he should've noticed sooner.

Like, seriously dude you're being the least sincere person right now, no wonder everyone can see through you.

Though yeah in general, Akechi's relationship with the Niijima's is interesting and should've had more of an involvement in things following the reveal.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Coughing Hobo posted:

I don't know what you possibly mean there, it totally makes sense for Joker to think "hm he's dead I feel closer to him than ever before" DING RANK 10

Oh wait that one made sense, ranks 9 and 8 were the ones that didn't.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Perhaps, something was lost in translation? I didn't understand how our ideals became one since Goro still hated our guts until the last moment. He never goes "I made a grave error" the game just decided to dropkick his arc into the abyss after 7th palace.

Justice Confidant felt insufficient because we met approx 5x and for the most part it just him stalking us at the train station. Also, I like Goro but the time where he's like "You should talk to me about Phantom Thieves and I could teach you deduction skills" came off as a veiled threat because plot-wise we never interacted until this moment.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Oh wait that one made sense, ranks 9 and 8 were the ones that didn't.

What made the least sense to me was the rank up from interacting with, like, cognitive Akechi in the metaverse interrogation room????????

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alder posted:

Perhaps, something was lost in translation? I didn't understand how our ideals became one since Goro still hated our guts until the last moment. He never goes "I made a grave error" the game just decided to dropkick his arc into the abyss after 7th palace.

Justice Confidant felt insufficient because we met approx 5x and for the most part it just him stalking us at the train station. Also, I like Goro but the time where he's like "You should talk to me about Phantom Thieves and I could teach you deduction skills" came off as a veiled threat because plot-wise we never interacted until this moment.

He totally does though! He has the whole "If I only I had met you sooner...." thing, which is super obviously him figuring out that he's in the wrong here and that the team are good people who have it right. Which is why shoots the door down so you guys don't need to deal with cognitive Akechi and his crazy shadows (even if you probably could have taken them). Akechi doesn't really apologise for anything, likely because he "dies" tbf, but he definitely has a moment of "oh, you're the good guys in the end".

The Justice Confidant is funny because Akechi acts overly-familiar and talks about his tragic past despite not even knowing you, but that's like legitimately his character so I don't think it's a problem of the link. He has 0 bonds with anyone, he doesn't interact with people on a sincere level, and never grew up emotionally. Of course the dude is just the worst at talking to you and making friends like a regular human being. So I think it's sorta appropriate if you're kinda weirded out by how he interacts with you, even if I think you're supposed to pass it off as the guy just being way too overly polite and familiar.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I legitimately think that Sae was like the 2nd closest acquaintance he had to a friend, but all throughout Sae's palace he is just so obviously over-dramatically reacting to everything Shadow Sae does that I can't take anything he says regarding her as sincere. Like, whenever more stuff about Sae is revealed he'll go on a spiel about how he can't believe the person he respected so much has fallen so far, and it's his fault because he should've noticed sooner.

Like, seriously dude you're being the least sincere person right now, no wonder everyone can see through you.

Though yeah in general, Akechi's relationship with the Niijima's is interesting and should've had more of an involvement in things following the reveal.
Even knowing about Goro's turn, I found his reactions to Sae a bit more subdued than I expected? Like he certainly gets a bit waxing on how awful this is, but I feel it's believable enough if you didn't know or forgot about his Did Somebody Say Pancakes. I found his knowledge of how to cheat through her palace much more suspicious.

and yeah the Nijimas are really the closest connection we have to Goro and I thought the scene with Makoto and Goro at practice exams was super rad and was really hoping for more.

Still dying to see what an updated re-release does with his whole arc, if anything

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Coughing Hobo posted:

What made the least sense to me was the rank up from interacting with, like, cognitive Akechi in the metaverse interrogation room????????

It's a very real Akechi, but he's interacting with a very fake Joker. So you get a rank up without even being there! It's the silliest thing.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Coughing Hobo posted:

Goro is so loving starved for friends that really anything makes you closer.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

He totally does though! He has the whole "If I only I had met you sooner...." thing, which is super obviously him figuring out that he's in the wrong here and that the team are good people who have it right. Which is why shoots the door down so you guys don't need to deal with cognitive Akechi and his crazy shadows (even if you probably could have taken them). Akechi doesn't really apologise for anything, likely because he "dies" tbf, but he definitely has a moment of "oh, you're the good guys in the end".

The Justice Confidant is funny because Akechi acts overly-familiar and talks about his tragic past despite not even knowing you, but that's like legitimately his character so I don't think it's a problem of the link. He has 0 bonds with anyone, he doesn't interact with people on a sincere level, and never grew up emotionally. Of course the dude is just the worst at talking to you and making friends like a regular human being. So I think it's sorta appropriate if you're kinda weirded out by how he interacts with you, even if I think you're supposed to pass it off as the guy just being way too overly polite and familiar.

I feel sad now that you mention it since he monologues so long during the entire battle and I was kinda tired after rushing 4 bosses. Akechi could've benefited like 1:1 Memento trips like Yusuke's SL where he slowly realized their pasts were similar instead of info-dumping in the 13th hour.

I don't mind his politeness since it's JAPAN but he comes off oversharing since his entire deal was trying to be the 2nd Detective Prince but then reveals he's had a broken childhood to complete cafe strangers. Alright, I'll just contribute him suffering from no social skills yet he's able to fool adults/fans for that long?

Akechi Goro: A Study of Contradictions

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Moltrey posted:

"Please leave"

*I feel our bond is growing stronger...*

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Moltrey posted:

He's basically a less sympathetic Mishima.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, he's a Mishima who bought a real gun and started actually shooting people.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's a very real Akechi, but he's interacting with a very fake Joker. So you get a rank up without even being there! It's the silliest thing.

I love that Morgana's like "So Akechi was interacting with cognitive Joker, but you feel a closer connection with him somehow? That's strange" (RANK UP!)

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
And to think stealing Haru's takoyaki was only the second meanest thing he did to her.

I am so making his rear end sit in the confessional all month in November.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

He's basically a less sympathetic Mishima.

Rude. Akechi is still more likable than Mishima and multi-faceted just poor writing affected his story arc.

See: Link to my 30-page thesis on the motivations of a minor villain in Persona 5

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

dragon_pamcake posted:

And to think stealing Haru's takoyaki was only the second meanest thing he did to her.

I am so making his rear end sit in the confessional all month in November.
Goro Did Nothing Wrong

By Killing Mr. Okumura.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Moltrey posted:

Goro Did Nothing Wrong

By Killing Mr. Okumura.

If he had failed to kill Okumura then the villains plot would have been over in October as Okumura would have the pull needed to ensure that the entire conspiracy goes down with him

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
okumura is literally just tanaka except there wasn't a blue haired boy to make him realize that doing nice things with his money is actually a better business deal after all, he has the exact same sappy backstory

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Okumura's my least favourite villain in the game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I kind of like him. As in the game never asks you to feel sorry for him until he dies horribly and his backstory does a decent job to explain why he became such a lovely person.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Okumura's my least favourite villain in the game.

What about eggman?

Hunt11 posted:

I kind of like him. As in the game never asks you to feel sorry for him until he dies horribly and his backstory does a decent job to explain why he became such a lovely person.

I hated his palace but felt bad about his death since it was broadcasted live and we were celebrating in Disneyland.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Okumura was fine with selling off his daughter to a guy who saw her as a sex object to further his career so im glad Goro iced that fool

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Okumura was fine with selling off his daughter to a guy who saw her as a sex object to further his career so im glad Goro iced that fool

We stole his heart and I'm sure Okumura would've revamped his entire company along with canceling Haru's engagement if he had lived.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Alder posted:

We stole his heart and I'm sure Okumura would've revamped his entire company along with canceling Haru's engagement if he had lived.
Guilt and apology are really worth beach sand after that conversation between Shadow Okumura and Cognitive Fiance where he says Haru is worthless to him if she rebels and that he'll give Haru away for nothing just for how much he hates her

Like that's a hard thing for Haru live with hearing a version of your own father say, even if he admits he crimes, gently caress that guy

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Guilt and apology are really worth beach sand after that conversation between Shadow Okumura and Cognitive Fiance where he says Haru is worthless to him if she rebels and that he'll give Haru away for nothing just for how much he hates her

Like that's a hard thing for Haru live with hearing a version of your own father say, even if he admits he crimes, gently caress that guy

Good point :smith:

I still need to max her SL in NG+ but I'm conflicted since now Haru is an orphan along with Yusuke albeit extremely wealthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Alder posted:

Good point :smith:

I still need to max her SL in NG+ but I'm conflicted since now Haru is an orphan along with Yusuke albeit extremely wealthy.
Haru's life def gets a lot harder of her father's death, but her S. Link has a good resolution and I do think she's better off without him, even as devastating as losing a parent can be

• Locked thread