Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

So, not sure if this is something that will happen automatically, but I propose the Golden Age of Innovation which states that we do what is necessary to make Al Andalus a haven for free thinking and innovation, rather than be too rigid in our thinking (Move the Piety scale to maximum Technology Points)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
The Celts called us into a war so Andalusian sons and brothers could die just to keep France distracted. Would they do the same for us? We must end this one-sided alliance.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Policies at the moment:

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I, Ismail al-Cyrahzax, propose that we use the wealth that will surely be coming to us on a comprehensive program of military expansion and reform. We should build a barracks in the capital and in other population centers if possible, while also expanding the size of the standing army, recruiting better officers to lead it, and maintaining a minimum amount of wealth for hiring auxiliary forces in times of crisis.

Lord Cyrahzax, TravelLog, Tendronai, Ibblebibble.

catlord posted:

I propose a small expansion to our army for the purpose of defence. Gold is good, and we don't want the French or whoever stealing ours.

catlord.

Luhood posted:

I, Lutfi al-Uthman, hereby declare a motion that we are to KEEP our alliance with the Celts. If we are to have the Rhine as our goal we can't let their lack of piety stand in the way of a masterful alliance.

Luhood, Rodyle, Flavius Belisarius.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I, Ralepozozaxe, The Dalai Ullama, propose that we break our alliance with them, and find a good Muslim ally to replace them.

Ralepozozaxe, Mountaineer, Agean90, Erwin the German.

Snipee posted:

I, Snipee of the Ulama, propose that we dedicate resources towards developing an alliance with Bavaria to weaken the Kingdom of Italy. Palermo must not fall.

Snipee.

AJ_Impy posted:

I, Al-rusim khataan taht-Impy of the Ulama, propose that, should the opportunity arise, we claim for Allah via war of conquest one of the minor infidel nations on our northern border, if doing so will not embroil us in a wider conflict with stronger powers.

AJ_Impy.

TildeATH posted:

I propose we Explore and colonize these new islands Allah has delivered to us and continue to explore West of these islands to find a route to our Muslim brothers in China!

TildeATH, Grizzwold, Samovar, Dick Trauma, GunnerJ, Talas, Yvonmukluk, RZApublican, Ikasuhito, Technowolf, Rubix Squid, Aeromancia, Cerebral Bore.

Affi posted:

The League of Merchants propose that we find the sea route to Mecca so that our pilgrims do not have to brave the deserts or Christian pirates to pray at our holiest place! we can partake of the riches of India!

(I want us to explore towards finding a way to cross Africa so actually not going west towards the new world!)

Affi.

GunnerJ posted:

Proposing the Naval Superiority Policy: Develop the size and power of our navy so that it exceeds that of our strongest plausible naval rival. Consider this auto-withdrawn if we're already the strongest naval power in the area.

GunnerJ, Soup du Jour, ShootaBoy, Hitlers Gay Secret, Mikl.

WilliamAnderson posted:

Given this, I propose that we develop the production on our gold mine up to 10, with the other development increases split equally.

WilliamAnderson, Frionnel, Crazycryodude, paragon1, Archaeology Hat, Captain Oblivious, Lynneth.

the JJ posted:

The "we won the electoral vote by YUGE amounts" proposal

As a merchant I propose we not ditch an important friend in the struggle with France. Just because the Ulema are getting all puritanical doesn't mean we should randomly abandon an important ally at a time when the French threat looms large.

the JJ, Bot 02.

Shogeton posted:

So, not sure if this is something that will happen automatically, but I propose the Golden Age of Innovation which states that we do what is necessary to make Al Andalus a haven for free thinking and innovation, rather than be too rigid in our thinking (Move the Piety scale to maximum Technology Points)

Shogeton.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

the JJ posted:

As a merchant I propose we not ditch an important friend in the struggle with France.

Just because the Ulema are getting all puritanical doesn't mean we should randomly abandon an important ally at a time when the French threat looms large.

I, Qasim ibn Qaptin, shift my support to this motion.

We cannot let the Ulema destroy this critical alliance!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

the JJ posted:

As a merchant I propose we not ditch an important friend in the struggle with France.

Just because the Ulema are getting all puritanical doesn't mean we should randomly abandon an important ally at a time when the French threat looms large.

I support this motion.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

I, Sheikha Rabab al-Majnun, throw my support behind Lutfi al-Uthman's proposal to keep our alliance with the Celts, and further propose that we ally ourselves with any other enemies of France, regardless of their faith. Believe me, I understand the kneejerk reaction to an alliance with Christians after so much Andalusi blood has been shed driving them from our rightful lands. But the followers of Isa are still People of the Book, and unlike the filthy conquistadors infesting the north, the Celts have never threatened Andalusi territory. The Ulama would do well to recall that Islam cannot thrive without a secure land for the faithful. We must build an alliance against the Frankish hordes. If we must grit our teeth to fight alongside Christians, then so be it!

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Viola the Mad posted:

I, Sheikha Rabab al-Majnun, throw my support behind Lutfi al-Uthman's proposal to keep our alliance with the Celts, and further propose that we ally ourselves with any other enemies of France, regardless of their faith. Believe me, I understand the kneejerk reaction to an alliance with Christians after so much Andalusi blood has been shed driving them from our rightful lands. But the followers of Isa are still People of the Book, and unlike the filthy conquistadors infesting the north, the Celts have never threatened Andalusi territory. The Ulama would do well to recall that Islam cannot thrive without a secure land for the faithful. We must build an alliance against the Frankish hordes. If we must grit our teeth to fight alongside Christians, then so be it!

I think the Celts did contribute troops to one of the crusades against us hundreds of years ago.

But anyways, what happens if the top policies of the Ulama and New Taifa cancel each other other?

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

the JJ posted:

I support this motion.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Talas posted:

Not to mention, the Celts were the reason why we didn't get destroyed by France during the most recent war. Breaking the alliance is very bad for us.

And they're coloured green! The colour of Islam!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Snipee posted:

I, Snipee of the Ulama, propose that we dedicate resources towards developing an alliance with Bavaria to weaken the Kingdom of Italy. Palermo must not fall.

Who knows. Maybe the Bavarians could even be useful should the Merchants mismanage that inevitable war with the French.

I, Slaan al-Andalusi, back this measure before the council. The Celts may not be the best ally, but Palermo is. We must make sure they do not lose our foothold in Italy.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

AJ_Impy posted:

There is a difference between dhimmi who pay the appropriate Jizya and infidels who see our religion as something to be crusaded against. The former are as you describe, the latter need to be taught the truth of Allah. I agree that breaking the treaty with the Celts is folly at this time, for regardless of who they are, we have given our word before Allah, and we must be true to that above all.

I have offered an option for my Ulama brethren to support, I can do no more.

No, my friend, don't trouble yourself, come to the oubliette with me and let's eat sorbet and listen to the distant moaning.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Snipee posted:

But anyways, what happens if the top policies of the Ulama and New Taifa cancel each other other?

If two policies are conflicting, then the Sultan picks between them, and I'll make the decision based on their personality. The current sultan is cruel, tall and is a 2/4/2, for reference.

I'll let the session run for a few more hours and close it tomorrow morning, cos I've got a lot of stuff to do atm, then try to get an update out tomorrow or the day after.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Snipee posted:

Who knows. Maybe the Bavarians could even be useful should the Merchants mismanage that inevitable war with the French.

I, Didi al-SalasaSab'aa, support this policy. Let's focus on trying to make Palermo (and Al-Andalus) safer instead of trying to make all our allies pure? This way we might even be able to convert the Celts to the rightful path!

(Can we send missionaries to convert other nations to our faith? If so, I'm instead making a policy to convert the Celts.There's no problem with an alliance with an Islmaic nation, after-all!)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

As hilarious as an Islamic Celtic Empire would be, it is a deeply implausible outcome and one which we have no realistic means by which to bring about.

Or more accurately, any means.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Hashim posted:

If two policies are conflicting, then the Sultan picks between them, and I'll make the decision based on their personality. The current sultan is cruel, tall and is a 2/4/2, for reference.

I'll let the session run for a few more hours and close it tomorrow morning, cos I've got a lot of stuff to do atm, then try to get an update out tomorrow or the day after.

I take it if the Merchants policy canceled one of the other factions out it would win based on us being the majority party?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I take it if the Merchants policy canceled one of the other factions out it would win based on us being the majority party?

For the most part yes, but under the current government the sultan still has a lot of power, so he'll use it wherever and whenever possible. You haven't had the chance to see it so far because our last sultan was a 0/0/0, but the Majlis isn't all-powerful.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
As useful as i think our alliance with the celts is, i'd rather we Merchants don't waste one of our actions trying to combat the Ulema, and instead use it for more useful things, like all the other proposals. There are other countries to ally, and ducats to be earned.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 12, 2017

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Frionnel posted:

As useful as i think our alliance with the celts is, i'd rather we Merchants don't waste one of our actions trying to combat the Ulema, and instead use it for more useful things, like all the other proposals. There are other countries to ally, and ducats to be earned.

That presumes there is an action more useful for our second policy than combating the Ulema's madness. I say there is not.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Captain Oblivious posted:

That presumes there is an action more useful for our second policy than combating the Ulema's madness. I say there is not.

The GOLD MINE.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

*as I am being beaten to death by a Frank in front of a productive goldmine marked 'Property of Aragon'*

"But their Epistles!"

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Luhood posted:

I, Lutfi al-Uthman, hereby declare a motion that we are to KEEP our alliance with the Celts. If we are to have the Rhine as our goal we can't let their lack of piety stand in the way of a masterful alliance.

I am going to change my vote to this. At the very least this alliance will make others think twice about messing with us.

I'd hesitate to call that fingernail of territory a foothold. I'm more referring to oh say

The French subjugating Aragon. A possibility that should haunt us all.

Normally I would too, but France does have the power to hold and expand that fingernail of territory. Were it anyone else I would be less worried.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

All this talk about France is exactly why we need to get some overseas colonies up and running. If worse comes to worse we will need somewhere Allah's children can be safe and allowed to prosper.

Again I say let the old world rot!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Look, digging up immense and ever-expanding quantities of gold is a no brainer. It's gold, everybody loves it, and having more is objectively better. There is absolutely no imaginable way that this could backfire, because more coins never hurt anyone and if some dumbass "economist" tries to tell you otherwise, just ask them how, exactly, too much money is a bad thing then laugh at all their made up words. And I personally guarantee it will never run out, either, no matter how much we dig up. Trust me, I'm a merchant.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

WilliamAnderson posted:

The GOLD MINE.

This

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
So quick question. The ruling party can put forward two policies. Can members of that party also endorse two policies?

If not I might switch my vote to the gold mine.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Luhood posted:

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

GunnerJ posted:

Proposing the Naval Superiority Policy: Develop the size and power of our navy so that it exceeds that of our strongest plausible naval rival. Consider this auto-withdrawn if we're already the strongest naval power in the area.

I Quarl al-Ifrinjyy support this motion; Control of the sea is control of trade. I have faith that our Sultan, who had an education focused on Diplomacy would never be so mad as to blindly follow the Ulama into blindly giving away control of the peninsula to the French for a matter of faith; surely they cannot think that Allah (PBUH) would want us to be weak in the face of our worst enemy.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Nine of Eight posted:

I Quarl al-Ifrinjyy support this motion; Control of the sea is control of trade. I have faith that our Sultan, who had an education focused on Diplomacy would never be so mad as to blindly follow the Ulama into blindly giving away control of the peninsula to the French for a matter of faith; surely they cannot think that Allah (PBUH) would want us to be weak in the face of our worst enemy.

Peace Be Upon Him (PBUH) is reserved for the Rasul'allah, Muhammad, the seal of the prophets, and would be considered out of place applied to Ar-Rahim, for whom we might more commonly say Subhana wa tala or (SWT) afterward. Careful, there's worse places than the oubliette with these Ulama fanatics wandering about.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

We will need the Ulama in time. If we are to make anything of former Christian holdings in Iberia, we must convert the populace to the true faith of the last Prophet.

It will just be a nest of vipers otherwise.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Nah, it'll be fine.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I think breaking the alliance is dumb move but probably not the apocalyptic horrorshow it's being made out to be.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Celtic Empire is unlikely to ever land troops in France to help. It's why I almost never ally England in my own games.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Session closed.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I, Ismail al-Cyrahzax, propose that we use the wealth that will surely be coming to us on a comprehensive program of military expansion and reform. We should build a barracks in the capital and in other population centers if possible, while also expanding the size of the standing army, recruiting better officers to lead it, and maintaining a minimum amount of wealth for hiring auxiliary forces in times of crisis.

Lord Cyrahzax, TravelLog, Tendronai, Ibblebibble.

Luhood posted:

Luhood, Rodyle, Flavius Belisarius, Viola the Mad, catlord, Sampatrick.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I, Ralepozozaxe, The Dalai Ullama, propose that we break our alliance with them, and find a good Muslim ally to replace them.

Ralepozozaxe, Mountaineer, Agean90, Erwin the German.

Snipee posted:

Snipee, Slaan, devildragon777.

AJ_Impy posted:

I, Al-rusim khataan taht-Impy of the Ulama, propose that, should the opportunity arise, we claim for Allah via war of conquest one of the minor infidel nations on our northern border, if doing so will not embroil us in a wider conflict with stronger powers.

AJ_Impy.

TildeATH posted:

I propose we Explore and colonize these new islands Allah has delivered to us and continue to explore West of these islands to find a route to our Muslim brothers in China!

TildeATH, Grizzwold, Samovar, Dick Trauma, GunnerJ, Talas, Yvonmukluk, RZApublican, Ikasuhito, Technowolf, Rubix Squid, Aeromancia, Cerebral Bore.

Affi posted:

The League of Merchants propose that we find the sea route to Mecca so that our pilgrims do not have to brave the deserts or Christian pirates to pray at our holiest place! we can partake of the riches of India!

(I want us to explore towards finding a way to cross Africa so actually not going west towards the new world!)

Affi.

GunnerJ posted:

GunnerJ, Soup du Jour, ShootaBoy, Hitlers Gay Secret, Mikl, Nine of Eight.

WilliamAnderson posted:

Given this, I propose that we develop the production on our gold mine up to 10, with the other development increases split equally.

WilliamAnderson, Frionnel, Crazycryodude, paragon1, Archaeology Hat, Lynneth.

the JJ posted:

As a merchant I propose we not ditch an important friend in the struggle with France. Just because the Ulema are getting all puritanical doesn't mean we should randomly abandon an important ally at a time when the French threat looms large.

the JJ, Bot 02, Captain Oblivious, RZApublican, Camoes.

Shogeton posted:

Shogeton.

edit: Also, I'll be adding another restriction for the next policy session: if a policy failed to pass, factions will not be able to submit it again for at least another 2 sessions.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 13, 2017

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Suggestion: restrict the faction that submitted it from re-proposing. Otherwise you'll​ have factions gaming the system by proposing things they never want to see pass just so the other factions can never propose them.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Suggestion: restrict the faction that submitted it from re-proposing. Otherwise you'll​ have factions gaming the system by proposing things they never want to see pass just so the other factions can never propose them.

Yeah, already said that I'd be doing that at the bottom of my last post.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I misread your edit, then, as I took it to mean that no faction is allowed to resubmit any failed proposal​ regardless of who originally proposed it.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I misread your edit, then, as I took it to mean that no faction is allowed to resubmit any failed proposal​ regardless of who originally proposed it.

Yeah, probably should've been clearer, but it'll be limited to the faction that proposed it. Policies won't be permanently banned either, just for a session or two, assuming they already failed to pass.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Hashim, you missed my vote to cancel the alliance with the Celts, just in case it matters.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Looks like it doesn't since the Taifas nullified our vote anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

Looks like it doesn't since the Taifas nullified our vote anyway.

Wait we can vote on that?

In that case I vote to end voting and going back to absolutism please for quicker updates