Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I like the idea of gestation period being tied to host activity. Like, if you are eating and running about it is less than a day, but if you are cocooned you are left to suffer. Makes sense too, the lady in Aliens looks awful and emaciated, but John Hurt was pretty spry stuffing his face until poo poo got real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A few rambling thoughts on Covenant:

Overall, I quite enjoyed it, the Neomorphs were a novel and distinctly different take on the classical Alien monster and the backbursting scene on the ship and the subsequent mauling of the biologist(?) was viscerally unpleasant to watch. If anything, the appearances of the mainline Aliens at the end felt kinda pointless and phoned in, I guess the studio really, really wanted the branding to be on point for this title? As it was, they just felt shoehorned in appearing in the last twenty minutes of the film, killing a few redshirts with their classical gimmicks (popping a dude's skull with their inner jaw, check. Skewering a woman through her crotch, check) before getting mirked by Daniels with civilian machinery and airlocks. The setpiece with the initial Alien trying to board the ship was pretty fun at least and I enjoyed Daniels immediately committing to kill the heck out of that Alien (and succeeding!) and just fighting it out there on the outer deck before it could get up to anything, it's a shame another one managed to get aboard anyway and they had to re-enact the second half of Alien in the last ten minutes.

I do wonder if Scott really just wanted to make a direct sequel to Prometheus though, the middle act in David's 'dire necropolis' was by far the strongest part of the film and is where the majority of the film's best scenes are (the revelation of the fates of the Engineers and Shaw particularly). Oram's fate did bug the hell out of me though, he already know's David's up to no good and flat out calls him the Devil, he's given a guided tour through his grotesque laboratory of horrors and sees the excavated corpse of Shaw and then when he's taken into the egg room he just lets himself get face-hugged by the extremely conspicuous giant alien egg because the satanic android who he knows created the creatures that killed half his crew says 'Nah, it's safe. just look in the egg. Really, would I lie to you? Just do it, look in the egg.' I don't wanna be that guy who complains because characters in a film act in a sub-optimal manner but literally every bit of information Oram has says 'do not trust David and do not fraternise with that alien egg' and he has no pressing need to do so, so why did trust David and look in the egg?? David joyously praising Baby Groot a fully formed three inch tall Alien as it emerges from Oram's chest was pretty funny at least.

Also, cripes that was a bleak ending. RIP the entire surviving cast and two thousand colonists.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Haven't seen the movie but wanted to ask those who have. Does it play out chronologically or does it jump back and forth? Prometheus was more or less chronologically except for the opening scene and the TED talk if you count it. Also the Isle of Skye scene is kind of a ways off from them arriving at the goo factory but it's still in order I guess. There's no flashbacks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shaocaholica posted:

Haven't seen the movie but wanted to ask those who have. Does it play out chronologically or does it jump back and forth? Prometheus was more or less chronologically except for the opening scene and the TED talk if you count it. Also the Isle of Skye scene is kind of a ways off from them arriving at the goo factory but it's still in order I guess. There's no flashbacks.

Prometheus plays out in order. The ted talk scene isn't the film. Unless you're talking about Weyland's message.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

CelticPredator posted:

Prometheus plays out in order. The ted talk scene isn't the film. Unless you're talking about Weyland's message.

I know its not in the film but I think it was supposed to be early on right after the cum swallow opening? I guess you're right its all in order but there are some big jumps in there.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

There's a single, significant flashback sequence but it otherwise plays in order.

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 12, 2017

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Thanks.

I don't want to go into spoiler territory but did anyone else notice there aren't any lady engineers in the released media nor prometheus? Like if there aren't any ladys then it probably means those big buff translucent baldies probably don't have a big translucent dong under there either.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think the Engineers are familiar with genitalia

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A race called "Engineers" being all male and despite having access to fantastic technology are clueless fuckups?????

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

There's actually a scene with a crowd of extremely normal and kind of goofy looking Engineers inadvertently cheering their imminent deaths in a flashback. After the 8-foot tall asexual superman of Prometheus it was pretty funny seeing them depicted as plain-rear end peasants.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

A race called "Engineers" being all male and despite having access to fantastic technology are clueless fuckups?????
Sounds right to me.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

The Alien stuck its tail in the showering ladies vagina right?

Also was talking to my brother about this, did the David "Walter" remove his hand to make them believe he was Walter - and if so was it the same hand? OR did he transfer himself into Walters body or something

Looke fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 12, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Looke posted:

The Alien stuck its tail in the showering ladies vagina right?

Also was talking to my brother about this, did the David "Walter" remove his hand to make them believe he was Walter - and if so was it the same hand? OR did he transfer himself into Walters body or something

No, it does not.

Also, David removed his hand and it was the correct one. Presumably he just used the knife to scar himself up to match Walters condition/hide the nail wound. He heals a bit slower than Walter and Daniels seems slightly suspicious, but she doesn't see that he's still scarred when she wakes up because she goes to fight the xeno and he's healed by time he puts her into cryo. He also does a good job of maintaining the act until she asks about the cabin.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Does it bother anyone else in this clip that the alien isn't able to fit into the hole so its dorsal tubes just clip through the floor? Just seems like really lazy VFX. Typically what would happen is an artist will deform the alien as it squeezes through the hole just like if one were to squeeze through practically and contort its body to fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SCnJ2NknyQ&t=54s

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Sorry this is a bit off topic with the new aliens movie coming out but this thread tends to do all predator stuff too, no?

Predators is on telly and I've just had a thought about it in a similar vein to previous talk about predators as bored dentists on safari. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the situation in predators is a sort of adventure holiday, cosplay re-enactment type, possibly reality TV for predators. So years ago a really famous predator was killed by a badass Arnie in some alien jungle, it became a big deal, water cooler conversation for all the cubicle office worker predators.

Now some morally dubious predator start up company runs reenactment, westworld style, holidays for bored predator execs. Re live the most famous predator death in history! They buy up some unzoned jungle planet noone cares about, pays some boring patches-on-elbows predator david attenborough to workshop up some human stereotypes for them and kidnaps appropriately to drop onto said jungle world for their high paying customers to hunt.

All the famous bits are there, chainguns and mud and whatnot, to make it the authentic experience for the predator dudes to chat about in the bar afterwards. Its the adverts now so I might change channel and not refine my reading any further.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If they are just desk jockies why are they so fit? Where are the fat Yautja decked out with cannons because they can't do the physical thing.

e:

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 13, 2017

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Sorry I turned over and am now watching 'Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!' so can't be sure. But you are right, its a potential plot hole.

^^^^ You've got to know I straight away googled fat predator and if I wasn't engrossed in 'Win a Date with Tad Hamilton!' I would have posted that same image!!!

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 13, 2017

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Need an alien queen themed mothers day card

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Despera posted:

Need an alien queen themed mothers day card

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Shaocaholica posted:

Does it bother anyone else in this clip that the alien isn't able to fit into the hole so its dorsal tubes just clip through the floor? Just seems like really lazy VFX. Typically what would happen is an artist will deform the alien as it squeezes through the hole just like if one were to squeeze through practically and contort its body to fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SCnJ2NknyQ&t=54s

Yeah. That's lovely. Guess it's about the norm for this film.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 13, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah. That's lovely. Guess it's about the norm for this film.

As is typical for ad material, that's not he final shot. It's movement for that shot is different and more natural in the final film. Its dorsals also aren't rigid in the final film.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bugblatter posted:

As is typical for ad material, that's not he final shot. It's movement for that shot is different and more natural in the final film. Its dorsals also aren't rigid in the final film.

Ah good. That would have 'bugged' me to see in the theater.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

:kimchi:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

CelticPredator posted:

Yo, non spoiler question I have on my mind.

Does the Alien Incubation process take hours to gestate before the Chestburster pops out? Or is it all AvP style, where it happens in minutes?

I just want to know minutes or hours.

Re: Covenant incubation

It's so much like AvP that you almost wonder what the point of having hosts is, they're barely implanted before they're already looking for an exit. Maybe half an hour at the most before they're out, and mere minutes after before they're fully grown.

Overall, I enjoyed it, it's a decent follow up to comedy of the decade Prometheus, though like that I was less interested in seeing more Aliens and would have preferred more time with David and the Engineers. Was greatly surprised to find that Alien 3 is no longer the bleakest entry in the series, it's downright hopeful and optimistic compared to this thing, where the insane play in the ruins of the dead old world before fly off into the sunset with a ship full of doomed lab rats. Fassbender has a grand old time playing off himself, the film is at its best whenever David and Walter are onscreen.

Also, Weyland-Yutani's holy grail turning out to be created by one of their own creations is delightfully perverse, and probably going to piss off the spergelords something chronic.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

No, it does not.

Also, David removed his hand and it was the correct one. Presumably he just used the knife to scar himself up to match Walters condition/hide the nail wound. He heals a bit slower than Walter and Daniels seems slightly suspicious, but she doesn't see that he's still scarred when she wakes up because she goes to fight the xeno and he's healed by time he puts her into cryo. He also does a good job of maintaining the act until she asks about the cabin.

I was a little bit confused too so I looked up the Wikipedia and it says David copied his programming onto Walter, however that works.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Octy posted:

I was a little bit confused too so I looked up the Wikipedia and it says David copied his programming onto Walter, however that works.

I don't think that's right? It's not depicted or hinted in the film, I think this is just a case of a random person updating wikipedia with their weird guess.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

I don't think that's right? It's not depicted or hinted in the film, I think this is just a case of a random person updating wikipedia with their weird guess.

Probably not. I'll have to watch the scene again.

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
I just assumed it was David but I marveled at the amount of time he had to cut his hair, change clothes, scar himself up and burn off a hand. At least he was committed.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Operation Juicebox posted:

I just assumed it was David but I marveled at the amount of time he had to cut his hair, change clothes, scar himself up and burn off a hand. At least he was committed.

His hair was already cut, he just had to comb it. I don't know why you think his hand was burned off instead of cut? He just had to change clothes, brush hair, and make some cuts that shouldn't be too tough given his strength.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
David if anything is fastidious

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.

CelticPredator posted:

Yo, non spoiler question I have on my mind.

Does the Alien Incubation process take hours to gestate before the Chestburster pops out? Or is it all AvP style, where it happens in minutes?

I just want to know minutes or hours.

Minutes, if not seconds. Wether it is from the "CGI black plague from spores" or actual Alien-like eggs + facehuggers, characters die from plot disease instantly, and in doing so they release xenomorphs just as quickly. As soon as that happened i was shaking my head and looking away from the screen in disgust. Nothing in the remainder of the film excuses this.

Alien: Covenant is garbage.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

White Rabbit posted:

Minutes, if not seconds. Wether it is from the "CGI black plague from spores" or actual Alien-like eggs + facehuggers, characters die from plot disease instantly, and in doing so they release xenomorphs just as quickly. As soon as that happened i was shaking my head and looking away from the screen in disgust. Nothing in the remainder of the film excuses this.

Alien: Covenant is garbage.

You think it took a few seconds to climb down the mountain or run the skiff prep?

Landing occurs at a what seems to be afternoon, the first infection is almost immediate, they don't burst until after nightfall. They arrive at the necropolis shortly after nightfall, the facehugging occurs not long after when they begin the plan to use the skiff. The skiff takes some time to prepare and isn't ready until dawn, about when the chestburster appears. It grows faster, but is also a different breed that starts full grown rather than wormlike.

Granted, we don't know how long a day/night cycle is here, but there's no way the events between infection and birth are mere "minutes."

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 13, 2017

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Avert your eyes, children! These aliens are non-canon!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Somebody spoil what happens to Shaw and whether we get any closure to her arc - does she finally lose faith, stop looking for answers? Do we get any reaction from her about events between Prometheus and Covenant?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Somebody spoil what happens to Shaw and whether we get any closure to her arc - does she finally lose faith, stop looking for answers? Do we get any reaction from her about events between Prometheus and Covenant?

She's killed by David off screen and experimented on.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I know — I'm just curious whether we get any more.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

General Battuta posted:

I don't know what your asking, then. That's it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

General Battuta posted:

She's killed long before the film even starts. It's seems David killed all the engineers before she was even out of cryo, let alone able to ask them questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

General Battuta posted:

supposedly there's a scene where her body is vivisected and decapitated