Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Numbers can definitely mean a lot of things. If I say 99 there are a ton of references that spring to mind. Plus, at first I thought 88 was a reference to that 888 thing the conservative SA off-shoot used to do. It will fade with enough time so that it becomes an innocent Back to the Future reference again, and until then, we can 86 the reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Bicyclops posted:

and until then, we can 86 the reference.

:golfclap:

So, I've been listening to the BBC produced Tenth Doctor stories that are narrated by David Tenannt. Surprisingly enjoyable, but the stories haven't stood out so much as it's just nice to hear David Tennant playing his excitable Doctor again.

There are flashes where it feels like the RTD seasons, but I still think the tone is off a bit for the most part.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

vegetables posted:

I was sad to hear about Geoffrey Bayldon dying; he was really good as the Doctor in the two Big Finish plays he did. I was sad BF didn't acknowledge his passing at all, as to me he counts as A Doctor even though he's a very obscure one. Auld Mortality is definitely worth a listen if you've not heard it, although it does have a few baffling references to book continuity.

A Storm of Angels was also a cool combination of 60s-era sensibilities with 80s-style genre-mixing/established universe.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN7ZcyXWYHY
In which Nardole learns a very important lesson about listening to the Doctor

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

After The War posted:

A Storm of Angels was also a cool combination of 60s-era sensibilities with 80s-style genre-mixing/established universe.

I never actually finished that one, I'm ashamed to say.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

God I hope nobody involved with Doctor Who reads the Facebook comments on anything they ever post on there. Just the fuckin worst goddamn fans next to the ones for Star Wars and Ghostbusters.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

AndyElusive posted:

God I hope nobody involved with Doctor Who reads the Facebook comments on anything they ever post on there. Just the fuckin worst goddamn fans next to the ones for Star Wars and Ghostbusters.

Nothing will ever top Ghostbusters fans hating the GB Facebook page's pictures of little girls dressed up as Ghostbusters for Halloween. The saddest loving fandom, I swear.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Fandoms

Were a mistake

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Tiny pockets of fandom are the best. This thread, the TF thread, these are good pockets of good people. The bigger they get... welp.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Tiny pockets of fandom are the best. This thread, the TF thread, these are good pockets of good people. The bigger they get... welp.

This thread is my favorite place to talk about Doctor Who by far, but let's not forget some of those posts from back in the day that were extremely opposed to the idea of either a woman or a black man playing the Doctor.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Nothing will ever top Ghostbusters fans hating the GB Facebook page's pictures of little girls dressed up as Ghostbusters for Halloween. The saddest loving fandom, I swear.

This is the kind of thing that makes me embarrassed to live in this universe, though.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I don't care what color or gender the Doctor is, so long as I can recognize them as the Doctor.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This, this is why I'm embarrassed to own any fandom memorabilia that isn't niche enough it's hard to recognize. I don't want to be associated with these twats.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

This thread is my favorite place to talk about Doctor Who by far

Same. There is no place this cool for DW anywhere else. :colbert:

Vinylshadow posted:

I am really looking forward to seeing Nardole get out of the office!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That is so loving lovely that I'm glad they got the movie they did last year.

Astroman posted:

Same. There is no place this cool for DW anywhere else. :colbert:

:agreed:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Vinylshadow posted:

I don't care what color or gender the Doctor is, so long as I can recognize them as the Doctor.

I'm at the stage in all this where I actively want a woman or PoC Doctor just for a very deliberately different take on the character, 'cause so far the Doctor's been twelve different white men's interpretations of the same very vague character.

I mean when they inevitably cast the next Doctor as some fairly handsome late twenties-early 30s white male who's good at running and shouting I'll get back on board and be interested in what he's doing, but I don't want him right now.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I dunno, Peter Capaldi is pretty swoon-worthy with his wavey silver locks, attack-eyebrows and Scootish accent for a white cis male.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Vinylshadow posted:

That's what lapels are for!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

AndyElusive posted:

I actively avoid anything DW-y on the internet for the most part, but I did stumble onto Mike Mignola's facebook after the Hellboy news (which I have no opinion on), and the poo poo they were giving him in the most high and mighty fashion was just hilarious, the overriding comment being "disrespecting us fans". The entitlement of nerd culture these days is truly shocking.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

echoplex posted:

I actively avoid anything DW-y on the internet for the most part, but I did stumble onto Mike Mignola's facebook after the Hellboy news (which I have no opinion on), and the poo poo they were giving him in the most high and mighty fashion was just hilarious, the overriding comment being "disrespecting us fans". The entitlement of nerd culture these days is truly shocking.

To be fair this is because Mignola has personally shot down the third GDT film now several times due to a personal feud with that director and is now letting this version go ahead as a full reboot. Fans just wanted to see GET and Perlman finish out the trilogy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vinylshadow posted:

"I'm docking your pay!"

I love it when the Doctor pulls poo poo like this :allears:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

That clip is Adams as.

The next Doctor better be a woman or POC or something other than a cis white male because otherwise the show will go on a long hiatus. You can feel it in the air.

Tnt.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Carbon dioxide posted:

The most important question: How do you decide what percentage the battery is at in your mock phone screens? I bet people complain if it's too low or too high.

Somehow I'm surprised that "where your battery charge really goes" hasn't already been a monster of the week...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The best thing about Nardole is that so far, there haven't been any episodes where he overstays his welcome.

I feel he would get really annoying if he got any more screen time.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

This feels like Moffat dialog that has been edited down by someone else (and that's a good thing).

It's the whole thing this season has going up to now where things feel more tight and less patting itself on the back. 2-3 years ago this scene would have played out the same, except you would have had River hanging out there interjecting with "...and you believed him *shakes head pityingly*..." remarks.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Carbon dioxide posted:

The best thing about Nardole is that so far, there haven't been any episodes where he overstays his welcome.

I feel he would get really annoying if he got any more screen time.
I've been rather disappointed by the lack of Nardole and want more of his commentary

Him being all fussy feels odd after his portrayal in Husbands of River Song and Return of Doctor Mysterio

Bill's great and all, but having another male companion is a breath of fresh air after three and a half Series of Clara

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Atarask posted:

Somehow I'm surprised that "where your battery charge really goes" hasn't already been a monster of the week...

Don't charge. Charge and you're dead.

The_Doctor posted:

I find the sense8 fandom is pretty cool too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Morning all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is that little Ianto shrine still there?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Is that little Ianto shrine still there?

Yes!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's goddamn adorable :3:

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I never finished Torchwood and now I'm spoiled on it forever :feelsbadman:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well, Ianto is appearing in the new Torchwood audios, so apparently death isn't the handicap it used to be? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Guys I've got something to tell you. It's me.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

echoplex posted:

The entitlement of nerd culture these days is truly shocking.

I'm surprised there aren't people clamoring for Sony to make a "real" Ghostbusters 3 and just reanimate Ramis, a la Zombie Cushing from Rogue One.

... actually, there probably are people clamoring for such a thing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Guys I've got something to tell you. It's me.

That's gotta be the coolest thing, to stand there in the Console Room!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Is it actually the console room used for filming, or a replica? From an insurance perspective I'm surprised if they would let people play with the real set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

Is it actually the console room used for filming, or a replica? From an insurance perspective I'm surprised if they would let people play with the real set.

It's the actual set! They're running tours for a few weeks before filming starts on the Christmas special. They've got the TARDIS background noise playing while you're in there for extra atmosphere. They kindly ask you don't touch the console.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

It's the actual set! They're running tours for a few weeks before filming starts on the Christmas special. They've got the TARDIS background noise playing while you're in there for extra atmosphere. They kindly ask you don't touch the console.

I don't suppose you saw any clues? No stickers labelled "Kris stands here" or the like? :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Sadly not, if the staff there know who it is (and they claim they don't), they're keeping tight lips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Some other names who have recently come up include Luke Treadaway (who was in A Street Cat Named Bob) and Sacha Dhawan (who already has a connection to Doctor Who - he played Waris Hussein, the programme's very first director, in An Adventure In Space and Time). Either could be interesting.

• Locked thread