Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

My 20v dewalt sawzall only sees less use than the small impact, but I admit I'm using it away from power generally, on smaller/quicker cuts. It wouldn't be appropriate for heavy shop use.

Also, there's a knock-off 5 Ah battery for $39, and I'm pretty impressed by the performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The Door Frame posted:

Any way to keep Li-ion batteries cool during heavy use? I learned how to keep the electric motor cool, but my 18v ryobi angle grinder is overheating its batteries in half an hour or so of use

Or should I pick up some Ni-Cad batteries instead?

I usually hose my batteries down with a Li-ion power washer.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Now, does that shoot out Lithium, or is it designed to clean the lithium cells?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

The Door Frame posted:

Well, that's a frustrating answer, but I suppose that it's the trade-off for not needing a compressor

And I've never even seen a 12/18v Ni-Cad battery before, but for whatever reason, my charger and tools are compatible. I know that they're less heat sensitive, but I guess that there's a reason I've never seen one...

If it's got the same pinout and voltage, NiCd batteries will work with lithium ion tools, and you can find adapters in many cases to breathe life back into your lovely old NiCd tools with lithium batteries. You've just never seen one because they're all either in the garbage or sitting at thrift stores, bare tool only with battery long gone, dead because it's a steaming pile or the previous owner didn't charge it correctly. Nickel metal batteries are nothing to pine over, we are living in the freaking golden age of cordless tools

If your batteries are get getting too hot, get them out of direct sunlight, that'll bake them into oblivion if it's hot enough. Also, you know, just swap it out with a spare.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ryobi tools come in enough varieties that you should get a second and possibly third battery, eventually you'll buy a bunch more tools.

also you can use the older blue nicad tools with newer lion batteries if you're looking for cheap tools on craigslist

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I finally got a tool chest and ratcheting box wrenches. Holy poo poo, productivity.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Can we have a brief storage chat?

Just moved into a new house and need to get all my shovels and some bulky stuff off the floor. Recommendations? Looking at something like this.

https://www.costco.ca/Proslat-Ultimate-Organization-Bundle.product.100081474.html

Also looking to buy some cheap pegboard for behind my workbench for small hand tools and the like. Anything better/more economical than that?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

slidebite posted:

Can we have a brief storage chat?

Just moved into a new house and need to get all my shovels and some bulky stuff off the floor. Recommendations? Looking at something like this.

https://www.costco.ca/Proslat-Ultimate-Organization-Bundle.product.100081474.html

Also looking to buy some cheap pegboard for behind my workbench for small hand tools and the like. Anything better/more economical than that?

If you're interested in slat wall or peg board I would look for a retail store going out of business. You can usually get the wall and shelf brackets cheap and then just buy hooks/bulk thing hangers.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
cheappegboard.com

idk about buying a whole wall of those slats, you can just buy one or two boards of it at home depot for much less

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
While not car related, Youtube MTBer Seth's Bike Hacks dis a video of outfitting his first garage/workshop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQoGc_nhuOs

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

monsterzero posted:

If you're interested in slat wall or peg board I would look for a retail store going out of business. You can usually get the wall and shelf brackets cheap and then just buy hooks/bulk thing hangers.

Slatwall is the way to go. Retail liquidation is the way to go.

Retail slatwall often has aluminum channels in the slats that are strong as hell and configurable as needed. I've got ~30' of slatwall in my garage and it's one of the best things I've done to the house.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm thinking slat for the big heavy things and peg for small poo poo (hand tools, etc) behind the bench. I live in a small city so we don't really have businesses going under every day, but that is a drat good idea.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
You have any RadioShack stores going out of business?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

In case anyone needs some more garage inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lCrlVhwHnE

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
I have slatwall, pegboard and french cleats. I got the slatwall from a craft store closure. To be completely honest, I thought I would like it 10X more than pegboard. I'm pretty much meh on it. Nicer than pegboard, but not by much.

Then I discovered the FRENCH CLEAT. loving awesome system if you are the least bit handy and can make your own mounts for various tools. .

I'm almost finished with my shop and will probably do a thread on the various things I have culled from different forums such as garagejournal and a bunch of woodworking forums. But seriously the two best things I have done is pipe my small shop for air and vacuum and learn about the french cleat.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Deeters posted:

In case anyone needs some more garage inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lCrlVhwHnE

Where does the wife park?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Where does the wife park?
The what?

You have somne strange priorities, my friend.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

The Door Frame posted:

Any way to keep Li-ion batteries cool during heavy use? I learned how to keep the electric motor cool, but my 18v ryobi angle grinder is overheating its batteries in half an hour or so of use

Or should I pick up some Ni-Cad batteries instead?

The correct answer is going corded. We bought a top end Milwaukee Fuel grinder at work with a 5ah red battery to stress test and it drained the battery in a very short time. For heavy duty go corded or air. Battery grinders are still just for cleaning welds and quick or light jobs. I dont think NiCads could even supply the current you need to do serious grinder work.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Cordless Grinders are for cutting locks, unistrut, wire shelving, closet rods, and occasionally rebar. Anything heavier duty needs a corded. I've got four corded, and consider that the bare minimum (4" Makita with a flap disc, 4.5" Metabo with a cutoff wheel, 4.5" Ryobi with a knotted wire cup [rust removal, so I use the worst grinder], and a 5"/6" rat tail Milwaukee with a 6" T27 grinding disc). The cordless Makita only sees the thin kerf cutoff wheels. If I'm doing fabrication and not rust removal, another smaller grinding wheel goes into circulation. The r/a air die grinder runs the scotch discs.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sadi posted:

The correct answer is going corded. We bought a top end Milwaukee Fuel grinder at work with a 5ah red battery to stress test and it drained the battery in a very short time. For heavy duty go corded or air. Battery grinders are still just for cleaning welds and quick or light jobs. I dont think NiCads could even supply the current you need to do serious grinder work.

:agreed:

This is truth--grinders suck down too much current to be effective for anything beyond a portable cut or other small job. I'm 100% gung-ho for battery tools on everything else (including circular saws), but grinders are still a unique basket case.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yep, a couple minutes with a grinder on a battery and it is done for.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
I'm wondering about getting a cordless grinder and rigging up a 18v corded power supply, so I can choose, but I'm concerned about the duty cycle on the motor/electronics.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Any recommendations for a J2534 pass thru tool that works with 64 bit windows 7? And is relatively cheap? The $30 Amazon mini vci cables require 32 bit windows, and I don't have that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Dealt do a 60v grinder now right?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rdb posted:

Any recommendations for a J2534 pass thru tool that works with 64 bit windows 7? And is relatively cheap? The $30 Amazon mini vci cables require 32 bit windows, and I don't have that.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Dealt do a 60v grinder now right?
This is why you failed your MCSE tests, Cakefool.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Kafouille posted:

I'm wondering about getting a cordless grinder and rigging up a 18v corded power supply, so I can choose, but I'm concerned about the duty cycle on the motor/electronics.

You could probably buy twenty corded grinders for the cost of a power supply that'll much the current handling of a modern battery pack.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Get something with a universal motor and actually use the universal capability?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Are there any 12v compressors for filing tires that don't suck? I have a lovely car & driver one right now that takes forever and reads double the correct PSI, but I wouldn't mind a nicer one. If all the 12v ones suck, what's a good cheap compressor for the garage for filing tires? I saw a Dewalt one recommended somewhere, but $130 seems steep for something that can't run air tools.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Viair compressors are solid and can be had at a reasonable price.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MomJeans420 posted:

Are there any 12v compressors for filing tires that don't suck? I have a lovely car & driver one right now that takes forever and reads double the correct PSI, but I wouldn't mind a nicer one. If all the 12v ones suck, what's a good cheap compressor for the garage for filing tires? I saw a Dewalt one recommended somewhere, but $130 seems steep for something that can't run air tools.

https://www.amazon.com/Tire-Inflator-Compressor-FamilyTool-Automotive/dp/B00YQE53XU

I have one that looks similar to this and it works well and is dead accurate when I check it against my pressure gauge

Still takes forever though and I'd only want to use it for topping off tyres. I imagine it would melt if you tried to fill 4 tyres from empty

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

cheapest option besides buying a pancake will be a cordless ryobi 18v, which works pretty well and i dont bother with my 12v compressor any more now. easy enough to bring to the track too, so i dont have to use my portable tank anymore.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Seconding Viair stuff. I use them for autocross so they see pretty regular use. Decently quiet compared to the emergency roadside inflators as well.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hypothetical...if were one to buy into a new system and having a crapload of other stuff...

1) Perhaps a 3/8" ratchet
2) Basic lawn poo poo like a weed eater and a mini leaf blower for minor tasks.
3) Thinking Milwaukee or Dewalt at this point.

Just wish I knew the road maps.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was tempted to go with the Ryobi 18v one, which would make inflating my motorcycle tires a lot easier as I wouldn't have to park next to the car, but I don't have any of their chargers and batteries yet. I ended up going with the Viair 85P, which was the most powerful one that should work with my cigarette lighter outlet in the car. If it draws too much power for the outlet, I did see adapters on amazon that hook up straight to your battery.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hypothetical...if were one to buy into a new system and having a crapload of other stuff...

Milwaukee M12 is the only ratchet. It's a good system.

String trimmer and blower, I'd go Makita LXT 18V.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'd separate your lawn and shop needs.

I'm all-in on Milwaukee 12 and 18v stuff in the garage, but their lawn stuff is expensive apparently sucks.

I went with the Ryobi 40v trimmer for half the price including battery. Love it. Just as much power as my old 40cc gas wacker and uses all my old cheap shaft attachments: blower, edger, hedge trimmer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Thanks for the input.

Sad to say, I'm balls deep into Craftsman C3 world. Before passing judgement, with all the specials and surprise points stuff was cheap. And for the most part they are not bad! But the end is near and they don't have the variety of things I'm looking for.

Should have clarified that sooner.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thanks for the input.

Sad to say, I'm balls deep into Craftsman C3 world. Before passing judgement, with all the specials and surprise points stuff was cheap. And for the most part they are not bad! But the end is near and they don't have the variety of things I'm looking for.

Should have clarified that sooner.

Better start pulling your balls out, that craftsman won't be around next year.

Hell, they can't even get their tools made for them anymore. The company that was making it is owned by Techtronic, the same company that makes Milwaukee and Ryobi stuff.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-sears-craftsman-one-world-lawsuit-0516-biz-20170515-story.html

The other craftsman is Black and decker, so even if they keep building compatible stuff, it'll be built out of recycled mcdonalds straws and empty ketchup packets.

I guess the going out of business sale could be a good time to stock up, but i wouldn't expect warranty service on anything.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

I'd separate your lawn and shop needs.

I'm all-in on Milwaukee 12 and 18v stuff in the garage, but their lawn stuff is expensive apparently sucks.

No comment on the quality​, but holy hell it is expensive. The only advantage I'd gain from going Milwaukee on lawn equipment is having a fuckoff big M18 battery since I only have compact batteries right now. But I've never had an issue with the compact batteries, so that's a lot of money.

It's way cheaper to buy and maintain a separate set of batteries than it is to try and maintain compatibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Powershift posted:

but i wouldn't expect warranty service on anything.

That's not a terribly large change from recent years anyhow.