Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I would think the metric most relevant to lane splitting when discussing states that allow or don't allow it would be the number of miles of road in the state. CA probably has a high % number on that too though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

What state has the most vehicle/motorcyclist accidents?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The Bananana posted:

What state has the most vehicle/motorcyclist accidents?

The state of inebriation

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh boy americans arguing about whose turd pool is the shallowest :allears:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Oh boy "insert really witty burn about where Slavvy lives".

Am I doing this right?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Who gives a poo poo about what the other states' laws regarding lane splitting are? He's complaining about something in a state where it is legal, wherein a number of riders do annoying things that impede his splitting.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coredump posted:

Am I doing this right?

Not enough stats, 3/10.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

pokie posted:

Let's consider a relevant statistic.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/191002/number-of-registered-motorcycles-in-the-us-by-state/

CA has ~10% of all registered motorcycle in the US.

:dong:

Slavvy posted:

Oh boy americans arguing about whose turd pool is the shallowest :allears:

Maybe you should come check it out and decide for yourself? Oh wait, you can't, because your island won't even let you travel. :smug:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Coredump posted:

Am I doing this right?

I wish I'd read this before my last post. :blush:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Maybe you should come check it out and decide for yourself? Oh wait, you can't, because your island won't even let you travel. :smug:

If I could travel I'd be moving further from the new reich not closer.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

If I could travel I'd be moving further from the new reich not closer.

So, Australia?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Coredump posted:

Am I doing this right?

loving got im

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

its all nice on rice posted:

Who gives a poo poo about what the other states' laws regarding lane splitting are? He's complaining about something in a state where it is legal, wherein a number of riders do annoying things that impede his splitting.

And I counter-complained about things people do here and he responded by insulting me.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

PCOS Bill posted:

And I counter-complained about things people do here and he responded by insulting me.

You say that, but if you were only complaining about things people do in your area, you'd have clarified that when he insulted you, rather than feeding into the back and forth.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
There's a meltdown and I didn't initiate it. What's happening

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Razzled posted:

loving got im

This made me lol irl.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Finger Prince posted:

Let's all just agree that places that allow filtering/splitting are cool and good and everywhere else is a hell not even satan his bad self could dream up.

Related: places that allow motorcycles in bus/congestion lanes, and places that don't give a poo poo about where you park your bike so long as it's not in the way.

Squarely falling outside the latter category is Lancaster. Fuckers almost ticketed me yesterday for stopping next to a cycle park on the edge of a pedestrian zone. poo poo like this is why they'll never be a real city to me (in addition to being the size of a large village; seriously it has like one road through it and that's it)

Like, I'm under no illusions about the actual legality of parking a motor vehicle in or near a pedestrian area regardless of its size, but civilised places have enough common sense to ignore bikes that aren't in the way.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Random rant, probably common. When a road is a known motorcycle route with plenty of challenging corners, don't drive your car like a goddamn dick please. Let the bikes past, don't hammer on the accelerator out of every corner because you can't handle your shitbox being slower than the bike behind you. Multiple people today on great roads basically stopping through turns and then accelerating madly. Either drive properly or use another route. At least I got a 100% clear no traffic run on my favourite road.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

nsaP posted:

There's a meltdown and I didn't initiate it. What's happening

Like an old wolf, your teeth are dull and your eyes are cloudy. Slavvy is attempting a coup to become king CA shitposter but he can only come up with bitter complaints about things that are tangential to him.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Like an old wolf, your teeth are dull and your eyes are cloudy. Slavvy is attempting a coup to become king CA shitposter but he can only come up with bitter complaints about things that are tangential to him.

I'm not anywhere near talented to be king poo poo poster, I'm just cranky. I'm a Bradley Smith midfield shitter at best.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Who gives a poo poo about what the other states' laws regarding lane splitting are?

Not me, I lane split in all states regardless of local law.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

hot sauce posted:

You're my hero. :allears:

This is my main fear about leaving California. I could never sit in traffic again. :ohdear:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

hot sauce posted:

Wow, I follow every traffic law religiously, you should try it.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

hot sauce posted:

I got yelled at yesterday while splitting. "You're stupid, that's against the law here!" is all I heard as I split past.

Better than sitting still in the rain.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'll filter to an intersection, but that's about it. In too afraid of a grayish prius or tesla suddenly slamming into me. PNW aggression comes out in the strangest ways. Also Oregon drivers suck poo poo.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

I heard they were working on legalizing it here in Texas

Crossing my fingerssssss

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

After an exciting first 2.5 weeks of riding and 1000 miles, I've had my first close call!

Nothing special, 2 lanes on each side with a cutout for a left turn, minivan in said lane decided he wasn't turning and listed back lazily into my lane as I quickly approached them. I got on the brakes hard and downshifted twice and was fine because I was watching. Yay! For their troubles, they got a stern glance :nono: and a revbomb :jerkbag: and I was on my way.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

spouse posted:

After an exciting first 2.5 weeks of riding and 1000 miles, I've had my first close call!

Nothing special, 2 lanes on each side with a cutout for a left turn, minivan in said lane decided he wasn't turning and listed back lazily into my lane as I quickly approached them. I got on the brakes hard and downshifted twice and was fine because I was watching. Yay! For their troubles, they got a stern glance :nono: and a revbomb :jerkbag: and I was on my way.

Good for you for keeping your head on the swivel.

Imo, save the mean glances and poo poo for venting about it here. Keep your eyes and attention on the road.
I know it's hard to resist, but your gonna end up eating tailgate one day while you're busy chiding some idiot SMIDSY.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Also revbombs are lame as gently caress at the best of times, especially so when used in place of a horn.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Bananana posted:

I heard they were working on legalizing it here in Texas

Crossing my fingerssssss

It comes up for vote in various states at various times and always gets knocked down by some incredible only tangentially related bullshit

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Also revbombs are lame as gently caress at the best of times, especially so when used in place of a horn.

agreed. I roll my eyes every time I see them in videos... it just kinda happened. I became what I hate. Thus the :jerkbag: :)

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It comes up for vote in various states at various times and always gets knocked down by some incredible only tangentially related bullshit

Or abate ruins it for everyone.

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I've found them to be very effective at getting flocks of drunk british people out of the road as quickly as possible. Horn doesn't work - they just get defensive and more obstructive, and even when sober most pedestrians are incapable of judging speed. I'd agree revbombing in most circumstances is pretty dumb, but I'd rather have people think I'm doing 50 when I'm under 15 and watch them dive for cover than worry about some piss-headed idiot stumbling out in front of me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Or abate ruins it for everyone.

See also: incredible bullshit. gently caress abate, for real.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
I rev because my horn sounds like a toy trumpet :saddowns:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wait... ABATE is for the freedom to not wear a helmet but against splitting/filtering?

Does not compute.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I believe the AMA's official stance on helmet laws is against them. I dunno if they actually campaign on them. Do they do anything about lane splitting? The only thing I've heard of them agitating about is anti-ethanol poo poo. Thanks, AMA, keeping the priorities straight.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

They also hate motorcycle only checkpoints and that beef tax that will put a huge tariff on European bikes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

Wait... ABATE is for the freedom to not wear a helmet but against splitting/filtering?

Does not compute.

it stands for A Brotherhood Against Totalitarian Enforcements (helmet laws) so you can guess what kind of people they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

a cute sea otter posted:

I've found them to be very effective at getting flocks of drunk british people out of the road as quickly as possible. Horn doesn't work - they just get defensive and more obstructive, and even when sober most pedestrians are incapable of judging speed. I'd agree revbombing in most circumstances is pretty dumb, but I'd rather have people think I'm doing 50 when I'm under 15 and watch them dive for cover than worry about some piss-headed idiot stumbling out in front of me.

http://www.rg-racing.com/browseType/Denali_Sound/

Sometimes I deliberately go the long way round through the West End just to watch people jump when I hit the horn button.