Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

TerminusEst13 posted:

Since the website's dead, the promotional demo isn't up anymore, so I figure I might as well pass it around for folks. Does this count as :filez: ? Probably not, but if I suddenly get banned then oops.
Way I see it, the alpha was free to begin with, so I can't imagine how it'd be :filez:. It's the non-existent full game that'd have been a paid product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

King Vidiot posted:

Fair, but I'm the kind of guy who as a kid had a Game Genie or Game Shark for every console, and who used to only play Duke3D with god mode and all weapons.

I mean I'm not That Guy anymore, but dammit I own these games and I'll do what I want with them. But... a poster said it could break scripting so I guess that's bad :shrug:

Yeah, I mean hey, do whatever you want. No shame. I use CheatEngine on the regular on PC to hack the poo poo out of games that are bothering me and speed poo poo up. I don't have time to grind currency in loving assassin's creed, just gimme the good poo poo and let me go have fun already.

But there are a lot of cool puzzles in Doom where there's some health kit taunting you from juuuuuust out of reach, and you have to go find some secret to get to it, but if you can just jump you just jump and grab it and move on, so you kinda rob yourself from ever seeing how you're supposed to accomplish that. That's the only thing, don't miss out on those parts of the game because you were jumping all the while.

That said, lots of doom 1/2 secrets are pretty drat sneaky and you may end up just looking up the solutions online anyways so :shrug:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Here is an alternative download for Retroblazer:

https://retro-blazer.en.uptodown.com/windows

The creator is apparently still working on the game according to the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/RetroBlazer/

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

God drat that last mission in Dark Forces is wild :stare:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mak0rz posted:

God drat that last mission in Dark Forces is wild :stare:

Yeah it's certainly an ending. That wall puzzle right before the final boss always weirds me out and breaks my flow though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
What's the best way to play Arcane Dimensions? Just QuakeSpasm?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Quake Champions seems rad but the time between matches sucks. Right now for every match it's:

- Match searching
- Map voting
- Waiting for connection
- Posing
- Mandatory minute warm-up

loving stop it. Just have people run around until everyone connects and then do a 10 second countdown once everyone is ready.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

skasion posted:

Yeah it's certainly an ending. That wall puzzle right before the final boss always weirds me out and breaks my flow though.

I lost my last life to a Dark Trooper shortly after planting the last bomb. Dammit :argh:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I gotta say the more I play Quake Champions the more I think...it might actually be cool and good? These characters are loving terrible though.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Strafe is okay, I guess, but it mostly makes me want to play Quake. Is it currently possible to get that game with the soundtrack? I remember there was some issue there but I can't really remember the details or if it's a thing of the past.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The default game on Steam or GoG won't have the soundtrack but there are fan patches out there to add it back in

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Strafe is okay, I guess, but it mostly makes me want to play Quake. Is it currently possible to get that game with the soundtrack? I remember there was some issue there but I can't really remember the details or if it's a thing of the past.

Use Johnny Law's Quake Starter. It adds the music and it does a few other things if you want it to:

http://neogeographica.com/site/pages/tools/quakestarter.html

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Wonderful! Thank you!

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
I finally picked up all the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games thanks to that GOG sale. I'm definitely looking forward to playing them after putting them all off for way too long.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Yodzilla posted:

These characters are loving terrible though.

I'm not playing it until they add Lucy :colbert:

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The default game on Steam or GoG won't have the soundtrack but there are fan patches out there to add it back in

I thought Steam didn't but GOG did?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yodzilla posted:

I gotta say the more I play Quake Champions the more I think...it might actually be cool and good? These characters are loving terrible though.

Yeah I think it might be cool and good, I can see myself playing it. The characters are kinda weak but I can't be too upset for being faithful to the weird-rear end Q3 characters. Just need to get the ones that we're missing.

They should add Bones and his special ability should just be a smaller hitbox :lol: (aka the oddjob)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The default game on GOG has the soundtrack. As a CD image. And there's a small mistake in the cue sheet. But anyway. You patch that single cue sheet and then you run this baby and there you go.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Yodzilla posted:

I will not accept criticism of Sorlag, aka best girl

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

IronicDongz posted:

Sorlag, aka best girl

What?!! Is this canon?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Copper Vein posted:

What?!! Is this canon?

I think you'll find that Sorlag is a clever girl

Yes, read the fluff on her champion page. It's great to see someone make an alien reptile race that doesn't have breast for some reason

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Copper Vein posted:

What?!! Is this canon?

Its the new canon.

The Q3 sorlag had male pronouns

but it doesn't matter because its a lizardperson anyways

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah with that change "Male (presumed)" kinda implies they just couldn't tell before, because sorlag is a weird lizard

I got a triple kill with her acid spit ability earlier :haw:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Does "spill his "sacred" bowel-bowl" mean she was gonna topple over his toilet?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

Does "spill his "sacred" bowel-bowl" mean she was gonna topple over his toilet?

It mentioned the Haruspex used guts to power his magic, so its a magic guts bowl. But hey sure whatever you're into :cheeky:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

IronicDongz posted:

I will not accept criticism of Sorlag, aka best girl

Sorlag is one of the ones with a good personality at least. My favorite to play as is the drag addict who ups his speed and healing but I just hate everything that comes out of his mouth.

Getting the quad damage and then increasing your movement speed is just loving ruinous.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

It mentioned the Haruspex used guts to power his magic, so its a magic guts bowl. But hey sure whatever you're into :cheeky:

Haruspex is a real word. And it's pretty much the whole deal of haruspicy to do magic with the entrails of slaughtered animals.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Yodzilla posted:

Sorlag is one of the ones with a good personality at least. My favorite to play as is the drag addict who ups his speed and healing but I just hate everything that comes out of his mouth.

Getting the quad damage and then increasing your movement speed is just loving ruinous.

THINGS ARE ABOUT TO GET EPIC!!!!

ME AND SLASH ARE STILL BFFS THOUGH RIGHT?

BAZINGA!

anyway, on another note Strafe is going the reverse direction to most games for me. A lot of the time the first area is the best, then it's downhill from there. Strafe is the opposite. And in other games I start of jazzed, then get more and more annoyed by the flaws I see pop up. I started out kind of mixed opinioned with Strafe, but it gets more fun the more i play it and I'm not sure why.

edit: also sorlag was always female, that fact card thing just got it wrong.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
STRAFE's best area is probably the third. The final one isn't bad but the new enemies there just don't....do anything. They stand there and shoot slowly and the big ones just get hung up on geometry all the drat time.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Is it worth it to play Soldier of Fortune nowadays? I was watching Gggmanlives' reviews of the first and second game, and I'm interested in trying the first one (the second one sounds pretty frustrating). It doesn't look you can buy it digitally (probably because a lot of Raven Software's stuff is in limbo because of Activision).

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Max Wilco posted:

Is it worth it to play Soldier of Fortune nowadays? I was watching Gggmanlives' reviews of the first and second game, and I'm interested in trying the first one (the second one sounds pretty frustrating). It doesn't look you can buy it digitally (probably because a lot of Raven Software's stuff is in limbo because of Activision).

I can only get the first game working on my PC but it's still fun. The violence isn't as novel as it once was but the action is alright even if the story is bad.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Overbite posted:

I can only get the first game working on my PC but it's still fun. The violence isn't as novel as it once was but the action is alright even if the story is bad.

What's wrong with the story? From what I saw, it looks like you do goofy stuff like fighting ninjas and guys in cyber suits or something. I find it especially funny since the protagonist, John Mullins, was based off the game's military consultant.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Quake Champions seems rad but the time between matches sucks. Right now for every match it's:

- Match searching
- Map voting
- Waiting for connection
- Posing
- Mandatory minute warm-up

loving stop it. Just have people run around until everyone connects and then do a 10 second countdown once everyone is ready.

This was my main problem with the multiplayer in Doom. The matches lasted like 5 minutes tops and the intermission felt even longer.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I remember the Soldier of Fortune games being okay but also pretty rote and basic once you got past the over the top gore. The multiplayer in SoF2 was fun as hell though. The mission generator was ambitious but always felt flat.

Whatever you do don't waste any time tracking down and/or playing the third Soldier of Fortune. Holy poo poo is that an Activion Value rear end game

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Yodzilla posted:

Whatever you do don't waste any time tracking down and/or playing the third Soldier of Fortune. Holy poo poo is that an Activion Value rear end game
Agreed, you should play 'Rogue Warrior' instead :unsmigghh:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Should I give Strafe a try or wait for a sale? £15 isn't that bad for a new game, to be fair.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Hell yeah you should, if only for Mickey Rourke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ8RTVi84l0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVoyGUcXepc

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Really, Rouge Warrior should've just been called 'Mickey Rourke Cursing into a Microphone'.

My favorite quote: "Snoop and Poop."

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ironically, like Soldier of Fortune, Rogue Warrior's protagonist is also based off an actual person, Richard Marchinko.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Nighty night you sweet piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Should I give Strafe a try or wait for a sale? £15 isn't that bad for a new game, to be fair.

Strafe is pretty fun but don't get discouraged by the first zone, Icarus. As others have mentioned it's probably the worst part of the game