Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

PenguinKnight posted:

Once our society breaks inevitably down within the next few years, we will go to you for renditions of The Force Awakens, like how we would go to the village elders for tales of our forefathers.

The only error I've found is the quad jumper is in a bb8 shot after it is blown up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

Here's a really good video that goes into the various ways George Lucas truly does know his stuff, in many ways far better than many of the most successful blockbuster filmmakers working today, using the podrace as a study:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz7xgfawz44

I think I've mentioned a few things along these lines before as reasons why pretty much all the action sequences in the new Star Wars films tend to leave me feeling bored and checking my watch. They all tend to lack the sense of clear, overriding purpose and carefully modulated escalation that Lucas's (and Spielberg's, and Cameron's) action sequences always exhibit. Rogue One's action sequences in particular suffer from being too samey all throughout, there being a clear lack of emotional calculation involved in the sequences' construction and progression--at least in comparison to the older films. The newer films really do seem to not even think about this sort of thing, and just assume that it's as simple as just animating a bunch of X-wings and TIE fighters whirling through the air shooting lasers and doing cool maneuvers. They really are like Marvel films in that regard. ILM does all the heavy lifting while the directors rest on their laurels, and the result is just a bunch of pretty CGI debris flying haphazardly across the screen.

That was a great YouTube thanks.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I've mentioned before and that video reminded me how much I want a Special Edition of the Star Wars movies with no dialog.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Cnut the Great posted:

Here's a really good video that goes into the various ways George Lucas truly does know his stuff, in many ways far better than many of the most successful blockbuster filmmakers working today, using the podrace as a study:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz7xgfawz44

I think I've mentioned a few things along these lines before as reasons why pretty much all the action sequences in the new Star Wars films tend to leave me feeling bored and checking my watch. They all tend to lack the sense of clear, overriding purpose and carefully modulated escalation that Lucas's (and Spielberg's, and Cameron's) action sequences always exhibit. Rogue One's action sequences in particular suffer from being too samey all throughout, there being a clear lack of emotional calculation involved in the sequences' construction and progression--at least in comparison to the older films. The newer films really do seem to not even think about this sort of thing, and just assume that it's as simple as just animating a bunch of X-wings and TIE fighters whirling through the air shooting lasers and doing cool maneuvers. They really are like Marvel films in that regard. ILM does all the heavy lifting while the directors rest on their laurels, and the result is just a bunch of pretty CGI debris flying haphazardly across the screen.

I'm sorry but I'm being told now that any argument you could make is invalid because I can just say "you don't like them because you didn't watch them growing up." Tough break dude

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

ILM does all the heavy lifting while the directors rest on their laurels, and the result is just a bunch of pretty CGI debris flying haphazardly across the screen.

lmao for real that a man who feels the need to leg hump george lucas like a dog with a brain tumor has made this argument

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tezzor your politics are good but your cinema is bad???

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
george lucas, elderly and obese, sitting in a chair watching two tvs of static cameras filming two people also sitting down in a prequel to an established franchise: whatever i do, i can't rest on my laurels and have this scene rely on ILM creating pretty debris later

Tezzora fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 13, 2017

Barudak
May 7, 2007

euphronius posted:

The only error I've found is the quad jumper is in a bb8 shot after it is blown up

Dont worry, this isnt an error it is an intractable truth and can never be removed, and as such we need a 30 minute video discussing the second quad jumpers canonicity.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tezzora posted:

george lucas, elderly and obese, sitting in a chair watching two tvs of static cameras filming two people also sitting down in a prequel to an established franchise: whatever i do, i can't rest on my laurels have this scene rely on ILM creating pretty debris later

Your projecting

(Cinema pun)

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the pod race is probably the best part of the phantom menace, but the chase through the city was the best part of godzilla 2000. neither of them are sufficient to make the films good. the pod race has some good directing, some good editing, some very good sound design. it's still a contrived 80s movie premise about winning the big ski race to save the youth center, involving an 8 year old darth vader whittled out of wood, who can't die or lose, gritting his teeth for 20 minutes starting with a camel fart as he defeats market-driven terrible-looking videogame characters until the one who has the villain moustache yells "poodoo" and the futurama announcer does the ikky shuffle, except more baffling than that sounds

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You forgot to mention Greg proops greatest film role

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

euphronius posted:

I have finally accepted that the star killer bases laser would be visible across the galaxy and travel at super luminal speeds while still being visible .

I get it .

I though all the planets were in the same solar system?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

I though all the planets were in the same solar system?

No lol

The first order developed a form of energy and matter faster than hyperspace. Hyper hyper space. The ghost detective from lost even mentions it in the film .

So the energy you see is moving faster than light which makes no sense because there is clearly a bow shockwave but whatever

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

euphronius posted:

No lol

The first order developed a form of energy and matter faster than hyperspace. Hyper hyper space. The ghost detective from lost even mentions it in the film .

So the energy you see is moving faster than light which makes no sense because there is clearly a bow shockwave but whatever

Well...ok then.

I will allow it under the rule of cool. :colbert:

Also, if it was moving faster than light the people on those planets would never have seen it coming.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Well...ok then.

Also, if it was moving faster than light the people on those planets would never have seen it coming.

The power of the dark side dialates space time allowing them to see their death.

Or

45 minute discussion of now cannon time displacing shield generators

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That was a good video.

Can you help me understand why anyone should feel similarly about the fight between Obi-Wan and Jango Fett though? I love the prequels but I find that sequence to be uniquely horrible amongst the
six films. Nothing about it works for me at all. It's not tense, it's not beautiful, the whole thing plays a bit too close to slapstick.

I hate it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Well...ok then.

I know right but whatever.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Tezzora posted:

the pod race is probably the best part of the phantom menace, but the chase through the city was the best part of godzilla 2000. neither of them are sufficient to make the films good. the pod race has some good directing, some good editing, some very good sound design. it's still a contrived 80s movie premise about winning the big ski race to save the youth center, involving an 8 year old darth vader whittled out of wood, who can't die or lose, gritting his teeth for 20 minutes starting with a camel fart as he defeats market-driven terrible-looking videogame characters until the one who has the villain moustache yells "poodoo" and the futurama announcer does the ikky shuffle, except more baffling than that sounds

You don't like Stars War or 80's movies?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You could say they weren't seeing normal light but the hyper hyper light. And they would have seen that since it was moving with the rest of the hyper hyper energy I guess I don't know.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Physics could just be different in that universe

Or smoke black magiced it.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Jewmanji posted:

That was a good video.

Can you help me understand why anyone should feel similarly about the fight between Obi-Wan and Jango Fett though? I love the prequels but I find that sequence to be uniquely horrible amongst the
six films. Nothing about it works for me at all. It's not tense, it's not beautiful, the whole thing plays a bit too close to slapstick.

I hate it.

christ this is cult thinking. you're not obligated to like something because it's in a movie with the right brand logo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What if it didnt actually blow up the planet and it was all a fake by the republic to avoid Leia?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
"Some people like the prequels, especially those who grew up with them."
"YOU'RE WRONG! THEY'RE WRONG! THE PREQUELS RAPED MY CHILDHOOD! THEY'RE OBJECTIVELY BAD FOREVER AND EVER! JUST WATCH RLM'S VIDEOS!"

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
hey guys i feel like the fight scene in a movie, generally regarded as being terrible, is itself not very good. i've tried but i can't shake the feeling that it's boring, lazy, and uninspired.someone please link me something to contradict my own thoughts

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

"YOU'RE WRONG! THEY'RE WRONG! THE PREQUELS RAPED MY CHILDHOOD! THEY'RE OBJECTIVELY BAD FOREVER AND EVER! JUST WATCH RLM'S VIDEOS!"

i am so dumb, and in addition, goddamn crazy

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Tezzora posted:

christ this is cult thinking. you're not obligated to like something because it's in a movie with the right brand logo

My high school English teacher sat me down and forced me to watch Aguirre the Wrath of God once. I didn't get it. Then he explained it. Then I got it. Now I see it's one of the greatest films ever made. I guess that means I took classes from Jim Jones then?

What are you, against discourse? Everyone gets to just make up their own mind and no one can convince anyone of anything? Then what the gently caress are you doing in this thread?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tezzor did you like malicks the new world ? I think that movie may have bothered you for some reason.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I read Finnegan's Wake once. It didn't make any sense. Worst book ever written.

I also listened to Jazz once and hated it don't try to talk to me about it please.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Jewmanji posted:

My high school English teacher sat me down and forced me to watch Aguirre the Wrath of God once. I didn't get it. Then he explained it. Then I got it. Now I see it's one of the greatest films ever made. I guess that means I took classes from Jim Jones then?

What are you, against discourse? Everyone gets to just make up their own mind and no one can convince anyone of anything? Then what the gently caress are you doing in this thread?

at what timecode in Aguierre the Wrath of God does Gaspar de Carvajal smell the huge fart of a capybara and exclaim "Dios mio!"

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
If fart jokes aren't up to your de rigeur standards maybe this comedy forum isn't the best venue for you.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Jewmanji posted:

I read Finnegan's Wake once. It didn't make any sense. Worst book ever written.

I also listened to Jazz once and hated it don't try to talk to me about it please.

the star wars prequels are not joyce. they are not even herzog. they are commercial diarrhea created by an aspergers toy billionaire that fail on every level. you are not seeking an explanation of their hidden meaning, which is good, as there is none. you are looking for something that validates your pre-existing desire to love something with the right brand on it, something that squares the circle between "i am very smart" and "i like this apparently terrible film for 10 year olds." you are not seeking enlightenment, but rather, justification.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I'm sorry that a film some stranger on the internet enjoys causes you so much grief. Seek therapy.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
How many pages before Tezzora/Tezzor/Phi has a meltdown?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tezzora posted:

at what timecode in Aguierre the Wrath of God does Gaspar de Carvajal smell the huge fart of a capybara and exclaim "Dios mio!"

Yeah, the prequel trilogy films went a little heavy on the scatological humor, unlike the originals, which feature the heroes leaping into a cesspit, R2D2 being swallowed and vomited up, and a brief interlude of a muppet in a desert belching.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah, the prequel trilogy films went a little heavy on the scatological humor, unlike the originals, which feature the heroes leaping into a cesspit, R2D2 being swallowed and vomited up, and a brief interlude of a muppet in a desert belching.

ah yes, well, even though those things are not equivalent, it is well-established that i like the films not in spite of those things but rather because of them, and you have thus demonstrated my irrational hypocrisy, and also i am melting

Tezzora fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 13, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tezzora posted:

It's because the films were terrible, made the original films worse, and after fighting through contemporary delusion and denial it eventually became accepted that this was the case, until recently when a small percentage of the less intelligent four year olds who watched them grew up got older and decided brand loyalty was more important than quality, and are now defending the films in the manner a schizophrenic defends a collection of stolen hair. That's why. How many of y'all like sex?? *crowd hollering*

gently caress, you're really holding onto your beef with Richard, the guy in your science class. Let it go, man. So you didn't get along when you were 14, big deal. He's moved on, he's moderately successful sculptor now, you need to do so as well.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Any time people online say they like the Prequels, someone will them to watch the RLM videos. I just tell them that watching the RLM videos has lead to prequel fans being more vocal lately.

In real life news: A lot of people named their babies "Kylo", along with "Benjamin" (but that may not always have to do with Star Wars).

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Covok posted:

You seem to have a real grasp on the nuances of the argument.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

gently caress, you're really holding onto your beef with Richard, the guy in your science class. Let it go, man. So you didn't get along when you were 14, big deal. He's moved on, he's moderately successful sculptor now, you need to do so as well.

richard from science class has a new foster family after his dad suffered a meltdown and his new family occasionally let him out in public briefly to allay suspicion of the truth that they have him locked in an attic due to being an embarrassment. really it is rather sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

Any time people online say they like the Prequels, someone will them to watch the RLM videos. I just tell them that watching the RLM videos has lead to prequel fans being more vocal lately.

In real life news: A lot of people named their babies "Kylo", along with "Benjamin" (but that may not always have to do with Star Wars).

prequel fans are fairly vocal and act like they matter, but then you go to target and see that maybe 1 out of 300 star wars brand products has any relation to the prequels and it's usually darth maul

• Locked thread