Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

STAC Goat posted:

I find the utter lack of desire to use the premise of the show really captivating. I want desperately to sit down with the creative behind the show and ask "Why?"

I have to assume it's some kind of Inside Out me-too that they realized didn't really work quite like the movie? Like, the way they've put the imaginary friend together I thiiiiink that's what they were going for.

Show's inoffensive and fine for what it is but yeah the imaginary friend seems to show up twice per episode to bookend whatever non-issue the main character (who isn't Mary but I keep wanting to call her that) has to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

get that OUT of my face posted:

Wasn't Last Man Standing always a Friday night show? If ABC is losing money on any show on that night, it deserves to get axed.

Friday night is where shows go to die. I love all the nutters on social media screaming that THE FAKA MEDIA TOOK AWAY MY JINGOIST SHOW!

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 12, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Croatoan posted:

Friday night is where shows go to die. I love all the nutters on social media screaming that THE FAKA MEDIA TOOK AWAY MY JINGOIST SHOW!

I think you've accidentally quoted the wrong post. Did you mean Last Man Standing, not The Leftovers?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think you've accidentally quoted the wrong post. Did you mean Last Man Standing, not The Leftovers?

Well poo poo. Thank you friend!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

How's the second season of Master of None? I enjoyed the first season, then forgot it existed.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Is Aziz Ansari's loving adorable dad in this season too?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I'm in the middle of the first episode now. He's in Italy, it's all in black & white, and like 95% of the spoken dialogue (including his) is in Italian w/ English subtitles.

Strangely, it kinda works.

No sign of his dad yet, but it's pretty decent so far. Gonna see where it goes.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 12, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aziz does worship italian food. I bet he did a similar trip in real life.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mu Zeta posted:

Based on Eric Wareheim's Instagram, I think they did the entire episode so they could get paid to eat insane Italian food for like two weeks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Seeing about half the main cast (including the main character) of Once Upon a Time leaving in the next season has me wondering: a) are there any other series (soaps notwithstanding) that dispensed with a large part of their cast like this; and b) did any of them manage to pull it off successfully?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Friday Night Lights comes to mind, though they got rid of the majority of their original cast throughout 2 seasons rather than all at once.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Seeing about half the main cast (including the main character) of Once Upon a Time leaving in the next season has me wondering: a) are there any other series (soaps notwithstanding) that dispensed with a large part of their cast like this; and b) did any of them manage to pull it off successfully?

Happens in British TV a lot. Misfits was a 100% completely different cast in it's first and last series, so was Being Human, off the top of my head.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I'm sure there's been at least a few, though I can't remember many off the top of my head. The one that comes to mind is Grey's Anatomy, even though it did keep the main character, it cycled out nearly everyone else.

Out of curiosity who all is leaving Once Upon a Time? I used to watch that show, it was ok.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

There are a number of British shows that have -- Misfits, Skins, Being Human; all had complete cast changeovers in recent memory -- and though a lot of fans tend to hate that the shows did that, I've never really minded it. Being Human, in particular, I thought was as good if not better with its new cast. It's one of my favourite shows.

There's another British show this famously applies to as well, but its name shalt not be spoken here.

Once Upon A Time's new season will be bad because the show is bad and its showrunners can't manage for poo poo, not because they're only keeping three cast members.

-Blackadder- posted:

Out of curiosity who all is leaving Once Upon a Time? I used to watch that show, it was ok.

Literally everyone who isn't Regina, Captain Hook or Rumpelstiltskin. Every other regular is gone.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 13, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

There's another British show this famously applies to as well, but its name shalt not be spoken here.
Coronation Street right?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Coronation Street right?

YOU SAID THE WORDS!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

Coronation Street right?

OOOH ARRHHHH!

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Literally everyone who isn't Regina, Captain Hook or Rumpelstiltskin. Every other regular is gone.

That's interesting, they're keeping the best actors and getting rid of everyone else. Robert Carlyle and Lana Parrilla especially blow everyone else out of the water. Focusing the show on Rumpelstiltskin and the Evil Queen can only be an improvement.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

Coronation Street right?

Eastenders?
or uh...Emmerdale? I only know so much Britishisms

Since we're(apparently?) discussing cancellations, I'm happy and sad that Sleepy Hollow is finally allowed to rest.

Also, did all of the time-travel shows get axed?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
12 Monkey's got another season.... even though it's getting season 3 over like 3 nights.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
I guess I should have clarified, have all the freshman time-travelers been axed?

And with the cancellation of Zorn, will FOX just loving bring Bob's back into the warmth of 8-10 and stop trying to ditch the "animation domination" label? Though, I do enjoy Last Man on Earth

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Wheat Loaf posted:

House kind of did it where the team in the frist 3 seasons was basically written to recurring roles instead of feature.

I know its not a typical answer, but Young Justice basically flash forwarded a decade between season 1 and 2, abd had such a major shift. Sure the characters were all there, but the roles were so radically shifted.

Last season of Scrubs did simething similar, and I still maintain that could have been a good show if it was just Dr. Cox and all the new people instead of trying to shoehorn in all the old characters for 3 episodes at a time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

2 Broke Girls was canceled. Probably the only people that care were the ones who were directly employed by it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wheat Loaf posted:

They fired like 99% of the Good Morning, Miss Bliss cast and then changed its name to Saved by the Bell.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

2 Broke Girls was canceled. Probably the only people that care were the ones who were directly employed by it.

This surprised me, mostly because I assumed it has been cancelled year ago. Does this mark the end of the obnoxiously mean-spirited sitcom?

Oh wait no The Great Indoors is still on the air, drat it. What a loving waste of Stephen Fry.

[Edit: Great Indoors finished up the season with half the viewers it started with, I'll be shocked if it doesn't get shitcanned]

[Another edit: gently caress me, CBS is moving forward with Young Sheldon. :suicide:]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 13, 2017

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

Cool, hopefully that means Kat Dennings will do other stuff worth watching. Hopefully, she ends up being Squirrel Girl in the MCU somehow.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

swickles posted:

Cool, hopefully that means Kat Dennings will do other stuff worth watching. Hopefully, she ends up being Squirrel Girl in the MCU somehow.

She's already in Thor and Thor: The Dark World.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

lelandjs posted:

She's already in Thor and Thor: The Dark World.

I know, I am just hoping she ends up as Squirrel Girl to extend her character arc.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Kinda surprised that 2 Broke Girls was cancelled, but according to Deadline CBS wasn't getting any sweet sweet mailbox money like everybody else involved was as part of the syndication deals (That said, they got their payday 5 years ago when TBS paid $1.7 mil per ep for the cable rights.)

I only recently actually watched the show, owing to the fact that I was bored, it was on and I ditched cable a while ago so my options were limited. The episode was about the Broke Girls having to do their taxes, so they went to a "trendy" "millennial" tax firm where a guy who would've been overplaying "stoned idiot" if he went in for a Harold and Kumar 4 audition tried to get the Broke Girls to count everything in their lives as a deduction. The jokes were lazy and everything was scripted to appeal to an audience who hadn't actually interacted with a young person in the last decade, but after 30 seconds of watching Kat Dennings and Beth Behrs running around in those outfits and routinely, casually pawing at each other I instantly knew that if this show had been on the air when I was a teenager, it would have been my favorite show, I would have planned my entire LIFE around when the local CW affiliate scheduled the reruns. In that instant I knew how it had been on the air for 6 years and where the viewer numbers were coming from.

lelandjs posted:

[Another edit: gently caress me, CBS is moving forward with Young Sheldon. :suicide:]

They're not "moving forward" with it - Young Sheldon got a straight-to-series order.

:suicide: Buzungur! :suicide:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

On the Bill Simmons Podcast, he says he actually did move to Italy and make pasta.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

Based on Eric Wareheim's Instagram, I think they did the entire episode so they could get paid to eat insane Italian food for like two weeks.

Eating in Italy is my favourite thing!

Eating in Italy is my favourite

thing!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
L'appetito vien mangiando

I'd kill a man over a bowl of Aglio e olio,

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, there's no way you could look at Slack's Twitter and think "Hmm, that guy totally supports police privatization." There had to be a swerve planned.

Moreover, nearly half of Slack's POI episodes were such utter beasts -- "No Good Deed," "Prisoner's Dilemma," "Razgovor," "Root Path," "Deus Ex Machina" -- that I would always refer to his episodes as David Slack Specials. Even when it was a lighter one like "Super" or "Bury the Lede," his fingerprints were all over it, and it was usually kind of awesome.

He jumped over to the MacGuyver reboot after Fox shitcanned him, where I assume he's having fun being wasted (I mean...it's still MacGuyver, right?). But next time you see that he's running a show, no matter how lovely it sounds, underestimate it at your own peril; this dude can loving write.

I just wanted to say this is a good post, I agree, and he should team up with Nolan and Lisa Joy again for Westworld season 3.

Also, in a surprise move, fox renewed the Exorcist for a season 2!

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 13, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I watched 2 episodes of 13 Reasons Why, and it really sucked. I'm not saying it doesn't get good, but after 2 eps it was the worst show I've ever seen. Like, Big Bang Theory was much better after 2 eps.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

I watched 2 episodes of 13 Reasons Why, and it really sucked. I'm not saying it doesn't get good, but after 2 eps it was the worst show I've ever seen. Like, Big Bang Theory was much better after 2 eps.

Uuuuuuuuuh

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I was far from the show's biggest fan, but that does seem a tad harsh. Each to his own though.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Snak posted:

This is the weirdest opinion I've ever seen you have. I really thought you'd love 13 Reasons given your other taste.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wasn't a fan, but some of the acting was good. Didn't make it all the way through it though, It just felt contrived.
If you do something like that, you either go hard or go home.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Re: 13 Reasons: I don't know what or who I'm supposed to relate to or sympathize with. Hannah is practically Hannibal in terms of being a relatable person, and the main dude​ is a wierd creeper who we aren't given any reason to relate to. Like, Im not saying there​ isn't potential... But they sure aren't setting it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This season of Rogue is awesome stuff. Ethan Kelly is a confident mofo.

• Locked thread