Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Dead or Alive Mask vs. Hair 5 Way Steel Cage Match: YAMATO vs. Naruki Doi vs. BxB Hulk vs. Shingo Takagi vs. Cyber Kong 

This was amazing. Why don't more promotions do this match?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jenkem Delivery posted:

MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Dead or Alive Mask vs. Hair 5 Way Steel Cage Match: YAMATO vs. Naruki Doi vs. BxB Hulk vs. Shingo Takagi vs. Cyber Kong 

This was amazing. Why don't more promotions do this match?

It's a cage match where the loser loses his mask or hair right? They happen pretty frequently in lucha promotions when they can't be assed to build to a real main event for a major show.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Probably because the lucha cage matches aren't a glorious 5-way clusterfuck that involve grabbing flags to qualify for the title, and copious amounts of outside interference.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Who loses their mask/hair in a match like that? All 4 losers, or whoever takes the fall?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Who loses their mask/hair in a match like that? All 4 losers, or whoever takes the fall?

Usually there are five flags at the top of the cage and the goal is to climb up and grab one in order to escape. Last one left loses their mask/hair.

This year the match was for the Dream Gate title. There were four flags and the belt on top of the cage this year. The rules were you had to climb up and get a flag, at which point you became eligible to climb up and get the belt. People could be pinned or submitted at any time, eliminating them from the match. The defending champ, YAMATO, could not be eliminated from the match, and he could not climb up to get the belt until only two were left in the cage. If anyone had gotten the belt, YAMATO lost his hair. If YAMATO got the belt, than the last man in the cage with him loses his mask/hair.

If this seems overly convoluted, it is. The rules are meant to encourage lots of outside interference, as Dragon Gate is booked around stable warfare so every stable came out to interfere with a vested interest in either getting their guy the title or preventing Verserk (the main heel group) from getting the title.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 12, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So when they do something like that, do they just find a guy willing to shave his head to take the fall? I can't imagine a big permanent change like losing a mask happens that frequently in a 5 way clusterfuck match.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MOTYC - Will Ospreay vs. Jay White, ROH War of the Worlds, 5/12

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Second

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yep yep yep

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

This match was hot.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: Young Bucks vs Naito and Bushi. Match was great and there was a nearfall so believable that Hulkamatt thought Bushi had just become ROH Tag Team Champion.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dimebags Brain posted:

If this seems overly convoluted, it is. The rules are meant to encourage lots of outside interference, as Dragon Gate is booked around stable warfare so every stable came out to interfere with a vested interest in either getting their guy the title or preventing Verserk (the main heel group) from getting the title.

It's not even the most convoluted version of the match they've had, either. In recent years they've had a "Double Risk" version of the match where each participant had a representative outside the cage, and you had to first pin/submit someone and then get a flag to free your representative from risk of losing their hair/mask. One participant had two representatives because they lost a qualifier, so they had to pin/submit two people before they were eligible to climb for a flag. There were then one fewer flags than participants, so whoever didn't get one had his head shaved or lost his mask.

When actually watching the match though, it was surprisingly straight forward because it gave you visual trackers on screen of who represented who, and who was freed. It's one of the most fun match styles I've ever seen.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Agreed

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MOTYC: Will Ospreay vs. Marty Scurll, NJPW Best of the Super Juniors, 05/17

Archbishop Karaoke
May 10, 2006

Venomous posted:

God drat yes, seconded

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I thought it could have used another 5-10 mins, so I'd like to give an HM to Marty Scurll v Will Ospreay, NJPW Best of the Super Juniors 2017

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yes. Jay White looks good (except for his hair)

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Venomous posted:

Also:

HM: Hiromu Takahashi vs Dragon Lee, NJPW Best of the Super Juniors, 05/17

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

St Evan Echoes posted:

I thought it could have used another 5-10 mins, so I'd like to give an HM to Marty Scurll v Will Ospreay, NJPW Best of the Super Juniors 2017

See, I would've been inclined to agree with you, as their match in Edinburgh last month was a lot better from a technical standpoint, but as Marty's debut match in NJPW, possibly his first match in front of a Japanese crowd in general, that match got him and his character over so drat well. Like, in this match he repeatedly took the piss out of Ospreay and his mannerisms, and the way they set up the chickenwing and the finger snap as significant spots was absolutely perfect. I dunno, I just really liked it as a character piece.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
wmotyc Ospreay vs scurll

match built around corny unfunny banter, goofy rear end mugging and contrived sequences. idk how anyone could for a moment forget this was fake. sub-pantomime level poo poo. I've liked some of their previous matches too.

motyc Hiromu vs dragon lee

the closest of their series to a normal match. I'm glad they reined it in a little bc the last one finally ventured a little too far into indyriffic territory with the bloat, endless near falls and overdone exhaustion selling. loved all the unique little spots playing off their history. as always with these two, not everything came off perfectly but its so spirited that you can forgive it. Lee seems to be turning into a more well-rounded worker while still being an exhilarating spot machine.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 17, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

wmotyc Ospreay vs scurll

match built around corny unfunny banter, goofy rear end mugging and contrived sequences. idk how anyone could for a moment forget this was fake. sub-pantomime level poo poo. I've liked some of their previous matches too.

the closest of their series to a normal match. I'm glad they reined it in a little bc the last one finally ventured a little too far into indyriffic territory with the bloat, endless near falls and overdone exhaustion selling. loved all the unique little spots playing off their history. as always with these two, not everything came off perfectly but its so spirited that you can forgive it. Lee seems to be turning into a more well-rounded worker while still being an exhilarating spot machine.

Martin sure is lucky he was in front of such unsophisticated loser fans who popped for that.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

idk seems like you're putting words in his mouth

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spermgod posted:

wmotyc Ospreay vs scurll

...dive.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

marty's bird taunt and batman and robin-rear end interjections are stupid as hell

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i mean there were like a few dozen ECW matches which mainly consisted of awful slow buildups to blown garbage spots repeatedly that everyone went nuts for in the building so the "everyone popped for it!" argument isnt a very good one

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
my favorite part was Ospreay yet again mocking someone that said something bad about flips in one of his big new japan matches

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

Martin sure is lucky he was in front of such unsophisticated loser fans who popped for that.

it got way over in the building yeah. i said as much on twitter at the time + agreed with Dave that Marty has his act down pat and is pretty much ready made to be a star in WWE (or anywhere). that i think his act is often completely insufferable is kind of irrelevant in that regard. in the context of what i thought of a match, though, idk why you'd take that line of argument. i thought you were above the weird goon passive aggressive misrepresenting deflection thing.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 18, 2017

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

HM for Will Ospreay vs. Marty Scurll and Hiromu vs dragon lee from Best of Super Juniors 05/17

Both great matches that didn't quite MOTYC for me but topped off a fun watchable show.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
MRT is not, in fact he's really mastered it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SatoshiMiwa posted:

HM for Will Ospreay vs. Marty Scurll and Hiromu vs dragon lee from Best of Super Juniors 05/17

Both great matches that didn't quite MOTYC for me but topped off a fun watchable show.

Yeah I'd agree with these, both were very good matches but not [i]quite[i] up there at the top level with other matches I've seen this year.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

it got way over in the building yeah. i said as much on twitter at the time + agreed with Dave that Marty has his act down pat and is pretty much ready made to be a star in WWE (or anywhere). that i think his act is often completely insufferable is kind of irrelevant in that regard. in the context of what i thought of a match, though, idk why you'd take that line of argument. i thought you were above the weird goon passive aggressive misrepresenting deflection thing.

I don't like Marty Scurll that much, and don't dig his matches but when a guy walks into a building and his match gets that over it's really, really hard to call it the Worst Match of the Year, or close to it. I really wanted Hogan vs Rock to be the Worst Match of the Year, and on a technical level it was really bad, but they did exactly what the people wanted to see. But when you are saying you don't know how anyone could forget this is fake about a match that got over in the building, it comes across super elitist and super misses the point. You do the match that gets over for the people who are in the building. I'd love wrestling to be done directly for me personally, but it's not. It's one thing when it's established stars like Rock and Hogan, or Hogan and a lot of people in WCW. They have a built in advantage and a crowd can react to the worst poo poo in the world due to nostalgia. But when you are debuting in a company and they eat your poo poo up? It seems really out of touch to say it's among the worst stuff of the year.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i mean there were like a few dozen ECW matches which mainly consisted of awful slow buildups to blown garbage spots repeatedly that everyone went nuts for in the building so the "everyone popped for it!" argument isnt a very good one

Plenty of ECW matches that looked awful in retrospect were given passes at the time and stuff that was average was praised. I've always felt RVD vs Lynn was spot, rest, spot, rest, spot, rest, spot, rest, spot, rest for 20 minutes. It bores me, but I wouldn't call it the worst match of the year it was in. And that match had junior matches with crazier, better paced stuff going on all around the world at the time, so you could compare it in context. But the crowd and overall fanbase loved it, so to call it poo poo is just stupid. It's something that didn't connect with me.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 18, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spoiler he doesn't really think it's the worst of the year he just didn't like it and needs people to notice his opinions.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Randy was right

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I badly want to not like Marty but my main memory from the WOTW will be the finger break and chicken wing getting a much bigger pop than a Cop Killah.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

MassRafTer posted:

I don't like Marty Scurll that much, and don't dig his matches but when a guy walks into a building and his match gets that over it's really, really hard to call it the Worst Match of the Year, or close to it. I really wanted Hogan vs Rock to be the Worst Match of the Year, and on a technical level it was really bad, but they did exactly what the people wanted to see. But when you are saying you don't know how anyone could forget this is fake about a match that got over in the building, it comes across super elitist and super misses the point. You do the match that gets over for the people who are in the building. I'd love wrestling to be done directly for me personally, but it's not. It's one thing when it's established stars like Rock and Hogan, or Hogan and a lot of people in WCW. They have a built in advantage and a crowd can react to the worst poo poo in the world due to nostalgia. But when you are debuting in a company and they eat your poo poo up? It seems really out of touch to say it's among the worst stuff of the year.

I dunno I'm just talking about my personal response to a match. whether it worked into the building doesn't really factor into whether i think it was good or bad (except for whatever aesthetic value the crowd's response provides). this isn't something I feel any need to be fair or objective about. after all, its art, as Will and Ricochet are so keen to remind us.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Aphrodite posted:

Spoiler he doesn't really think it's the worst of the year he just didn't like it and needs people to notice his opinions.

nah I really did. it wasn't the least competent match mechanically or structurally but it was the most antithetical to what I want wrestling to be, which is worse than incompetence.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

I dunno I'm just talking about my personal response to a match. whether it worked into the building doesn't really factor into whether i think it was good or bad (except for whatever aesthetic value the crowd's response provides). this isn't something I feel any need to be fair or objective about. after all, its art, as Will and Ricochet are so keen to remind us.

When you say you don't see how anyone could forget it's fake I find it hard to believe you aren't talking about other people too. I'd really love my first reaction to Marty Scurll to be correct and say he sucks, but when a guy makes a debut and does poo poo that gets over can you really hate the match for it? It's not even about the aesthetic of the crowd it's a guy working to get over and make himself a star. If you don't like it that's fine but to say "this is one of the worst things I've seen this year" seems silly.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I mean, yeah, I guess when I say that I'm looking at my response relative to others and am kind of bewildered that they clearly aren't seeing what I'm seeing. but it's not like I'm trying to say the match was objectively bad or anything. I'm not hating on the guy for getting over, but I don't see why I need to temper my personal response because of it. I can appreciate the craft involved in developing an act and masterfully playing to the crowd, and I'll give Marty all the credit in the world for that, but it doesn't make me find the act itself any less aesthetically repugnant.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

changing your worst match of the year nomination to an honorable mention for best match of the year would be more than enough to display your personal feelings, without attacking and making a mockery out of me and the process that i've created here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You have to consider the context when you nominate a worst of the year in a year where Enzo Amore has matches though.

• Locked thread