Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Quick rules question:

If I cast Lay Claim on an opponent's legendary permanent that I already control a copy of I assume that it invokes the legend rule after it resolves and I can send the opponent's permanent to the graveyard. Is that right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ManMythLegend posted:

Quick rules question:

If I cast Lay Claim on an opponent's legendary permanent that I already control a copy of I assume that it invokes the legend rule after it resolves and I can send the opponent's permanent to the graveyard. Is that right?

Yes. SBE are checked after resolution. Legend rule goes into effect. Choose one to keep. EXPLOSIONS!!!!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

AlternateNu posted:

Yes. SBE are checked after resolution. Legend rule goes into effect. Choose one to keep. EXPLOSIONS!!!!

Cool, thanks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AlternateNu posted:

I can get DShields for about $8.50 per 100ct. I mean, if they're cheaper, I'm willing to try the new HyperMattes.

They are going to be cheaper most of the time and it will make up for the 20 less sleeves. I don't dislike getting sleeves in 100, but unless you are buying sleeves in bulk or are set on a certain color, generally getting 100 ds sleeves means you just have 75 dirty sleeves and 25 clean sleeves eventually. The ultra pro double sleeve a little easier but come in less colors. The DS sleeves also have an issue with not being tournament playable with double sided cards in certain colors which the ultra pros are all will pass.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Crewing a Skysovereign with a Snake is pretty bold.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
lol this match is such a mess

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Tainen posted:

lol this match is such a mess

Magic is not an esport.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Sickening posted:

They are going to be cheaper most of the time and it will make up for the 20 less sleeves. I don't dislike getting sleeves in 100, but unless you are buying sleeves in bulk or are set on a certain color, generally getting 100 ds sleeves means you just have 75 dirty sleeves and 25 clean sleeves eventually. The ultra pro double sleeve a little easier but come in less colors. The DS sleeves also have an issue with not being tournament playable with double sided cards in certain colors which the ultra pros are all will pass.

I bought the tinted back DS smoke perfect fits and they make the back of the lighter colors fully opaque (they were expensive for perfect fits though so I'm not sure they are worth it).

The eclipse sleeves are great, I may buy a full box of them next time I need sleeves. How easy do the backs mark up? I like how soft they feel and how they suffle I am just curious about if they mark up.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Chill la Chill posted:

APAC Japanese swamp best swamp.

I just picked one of these up on Wednesday! Pretty neat!

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
For someone getting reintroduced to Magic after 15 years, would you guys generally recommend a specific format to get back into?

Standard would have the smaller card pool to keep track of; Legacy offers up the chance to play the old cards I'm familiar with but has 15 years worth of new cards; and Modern is somewhere in the middle.

Seems like everyone at my LGS was playing with dual lands at a Legacy event. Seems like a pricey format but does the constant rotation of Standard make the costs comparable?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Tortilla Maker posted:

For someone getting reintroduced to Magic after 15 years, would you guys generally recommend a specific format to get back into?

Standard would have the smaller card pool to keep track of; Legacy offers up the chance to play the old cards I'm familiar with but has 15 years worth of new cards; and Modern is somewhere in the middle.

Seems like everyone at my LGS was playing with dual lands at a Legacy event. Seems like a pricey format but does the constant rotation of Standard make the costs comparable?

I started up again at the beginning of last year and wish I bought into modern right away instead of standard. I'd recommend playing modern, if you really want to play standard play a budget deck, very few of your cards in standard will keep value after a few sets.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Tortilla Maker posted:

Legacy is expensive, so if you don't already have stuff like duals it's probably not a good starting point in paper. There are some fairly cheap decks like burn that post results but yeah it's burn. That being said if you happen to go to my lgs I'd be happy to bring a spare legacy deck if you wanted to try it.

Modern is a little bit more reasonable to start but also not very cheap. If you know anyone who plays and want to try constructed maybe see if they'll loan you a deck at events

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tortilla Maker posted:

Play limited. Duh.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Hmm. I wonder if there is an argument for building Modern Fish and then gradually upgrading to Legacy Fish so you can play both formats.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
My first opponent at FNM either has an undisclosed condition or needs rehab.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Funny that with all space the team branding crap takes up, deck names don't fit on screen.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 13, 2017

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Smashing Link posted:

Hmm. I wonder if there is an argument for building Modern Fish and then gradually upgrading to Legacy Fish so you can play both formats.

Depends on how much you want to play legacy fish I guess.

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

Rinkles posted:

Funny that with all space the team branding crap takes up, deck names don't fit on screen.

What percentage of viewers even care about the teams?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

It seems WOTC has done a great job of making the vods of everything sorted well. They are already all up for today.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/142445814

that is the zombies deck tech for those curious.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mattah posted:

.005%

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!

Sickening posted:

It seems WOTC has done a great job of making the vods of everything sorted well. They are already all up for today.

Do they usually not go through the sideboard as well?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Sickening posted:

Still can't play back Twitch videos at any speed other than 1x, too bad, I don't have 5 hours to watch Standard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mattah posted:

Did you guys miss the interview with the guy who stated he didn't test with the team but instead tested alone because he wanted to. The teams are a joke. The only reason most of these teams exist is because the top 4 teams get special perks for all their members no matter how each individual did.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Playback is much better on youtube for me. Especially when jumping from one moment to the next, videos will sometimes takes excessively long to reload, occasionally to the point of needing to refresh the page. It's inconsistent. Twitch vods also randomly pause for me (unlike youtube, so it's not a bad internet connection), but maybe that's related to having an adblocker.

Nevermind that Youtube has live pausing on streams.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Hellsau posted:

Whole lotta Marvel misses today, Christ.

Maybe people won't cry about banning it now

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

As weird as the Dredge deck was to play against, at least I was kind of impressed to watch it run.

I just lost to a deck where the guy played Timewalk and Duress over and over until he was able to do Tendrils of Agony to me 10 times in a turn. I think I got 2 turns and he got 5. It's the first game I've played where I legitimately did not enjoy the game at all.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

As weird as the Dredge deck was to play against, at least I was kind of impressed to watch it run.

I just lost to a deck where the guy played Timewalk and Duress over and over until he was able to do Tendrils of Agony to me 10 times in a turn. I think I got 2 turns and he got 5. It's the first game I've played where I legitimately did not enjoy the game at all.

You really should not be playing vintage.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yep, the eclipses are great. I bought 2 packs after the TCC video and they're great and double sleeve as easily as KMC. You can also find them online for $6 per 80-count pack, so there's no reason to get KMC hyper mattes anymore since their quality dropped.

Their longevity is poor though.. they are a magnet for grime and sweaty pizza hand dirt. I love the feel at the start but they turn to clouded sand paper pretty quick. I'm sticking with dragon shield matt for now.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I was out all evening. What was this judge thing I'm hearing about with the snake?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

HMS Beagle posted:

I was out all evening. What was this judge thing I'm hearing about with the snake?

Some dude tried to crew a Skysovereign with a Snake, then play a Verdurous Gearhulk to pump the Boat and a menace creature. They rewound back before the Boat got crewed and he crewed with a Greenbelt Rampager, attacked and the snake traded with a Rogue Refiner which the Rampager wouldn't have.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Tortilla Maker posted:

Legacy may have some cards you're familiar with but it's anything but newly-returned friendly (as Bulky is finding out) and you're looking at a few grand to buy into a format that's not terribly popular. Standard requires constant investment to keep up and the cost has gotten really out of whack recently. Modern is the bed Goldilocks finds comfortable, but it has some pretty big issues. If there's a Pauper scene where you live you should totally pony up the $50 a deck. gently caress it, buy 4. It's cheap, non-rotating, and you get to play a bunch of old cards.

There's also limited. Draft is what most sets are designed for these days and it's about $60 a month if you play weekly and never sell a card (you'll sell your cards if you draft and don't play standard).

There's a new thing called "Magic League" where you buy 3 packs the first week and make a 30 card deck and play super casual games. Each week, or every 3 losses you can buy another pack: it's a total money sink but really cheap if you don't buy a pack every 3 losses. It's a 4 week thing and if you started now you'd be on week 3, so not great, and would start with 5 packs of cards.

The next one starts in June.

(I got a pack of Eternal Masters, a pack of Amonkhet and the FNM Unlicensed Disintegration my first week as prizes for playing, so pretty decent value, but prizes are determined by the shop. "Results not typical.") (P.P.S, my Eternal Masters pack was like 30% Pauper Playables so I was super happy even though the EDH players thought my rare and foil were garbage)

There's also commander. We don't like to talk about commander. Apparently it's insanely popular in my town and 30+ people show up for commander night. They tried to tell me "we're really casual" while also claiming "we're the HOME of proxies"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Anyone complaining about standard prices now is wrong. Everything that costs money is playable in other formats. This is nothing compared to BFZ monstrosity standard, where standard decks cost as much ad modern decks. 200-300 is the top right now, and several of those could be made for cheaper. 150-250 standard is probably where is probably where it should go, and before the next set it will be there.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Thoughts about Hazoret in modern burn? Maindeckable? Too expensive? Which match-ups do you think he cleans up?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AlternateNu posted:

Thoughts about Hazoret in modern burn? Maindeckable? Too expensive? Which match-ups do you think he cleans up?

Do you really want 4 lands in play?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Maybe in a midrange Mardu deck with LotV? It would probably be good at grinding out vs other midrange decks. The problem I have with the new gods compared to the old is that they're always creatures so they're vulnerable to path but enough discard might make that ok.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

suicidesteve posted:

You really should not be playing vintage.

I"m sure at some point I'll get past the nostalgia of playing these specific cards again and want to try to win more consistently. But for right now I'm still enjoying the hell out of it. It's like remembering a great car you had when you were younger and finding it again in a barn somewhere. Firing it up and taking it for a spin is so satisfying even though there's newer, faster, better cars on the streets today. The Timewalk deck was annoying because it like watching someone play solitaire.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Maybe in a midrange Mardu deck with LotV? It would probably be good at grinding out vs other midrange decks. The problem I have with the new gods compared to the old is that they're always creatures so they're vulnerable to path but enough discard might make that ok.

I wouldn't even go Mardu with it. Just
4 Thoughtseize
4 Kozilek's Inquisition
4 Fatal Push
4 Lightning Bolts
2 Terminate
1 Dreadbore
1 Collective Brutality
4 Dark Confidant
2 Kolaghan's Command
4 Blood Moon
4 Liliana of the Veil
4 Hazoret

22 Lands

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

I wouldn't even go Mardu with it. Just
4 Thoughtseize
4 Kozilek's Inquisition
4 Fatal Push
4 Lightning Bolts
2 Terminate
1 Dreadbore
1 Collective Brutality
4 Dark Confidant
2 Kolaghan's Command
4 Blood Moon
4 Liliana of the Veil
4 Hazoret

22 Lands

Have you seen the "bad moon" lists? Similar to what you posted but has 4 demigod of revenge and 4 faithless looting for card selection. Also usually has some number of pia and kiran and kalitas. Might work in that. Demigod seems like a fun card to play with.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Modern Jund seems like a better place for Harzoret. They are usually playing helbent anyway after a Lili. It is a different style of 4-drop for Jund though. The other ones Jund would play (Kalitas, Olivia, Huntmaster) are much more about stabilizing while this one is aggro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

AlternateNu posted:

Way too expensive and still just gets chump blocked against creature decks or Pathed or Pushed against spell decks.

I have a fun-of Chandra, Torch of Defiance in my sideboard if I'm playing against a deck that goes long, but I'm not sure what I'm bringing Hazoret in for where I'm still not just losing.