Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Klyith posted:

The thing about game design is that incredible complexity is actually easier than elegant simplicity. Starcraft is far harder to balance than Eve. And a whole lot of Eve's best complexity is free -- the market economy is very complex, but the software that runs it is not.

What I give props to CCP for is the way they scaled as the game got more players, keeping the single shard that can support thousands of people interacting in a system. The original eve beta would not be all that hard to replicate. Old CCP guys have said that they made an operating system because they couldn't make a game, and it's not like they were hot-shot programmers. Making a clone that could do the things that eve can do now would be hard.

This is v. good commentary.

I've been thinking more about technical debt lately and I want to sperg but more but I'm phone posting so :effort: but I think the fact is that CCP is still releasing new content, qol features, new systems, and the occasional architectural upgrade. Their TD is bad, but, having worked on systems encumbered by enormous amounts of TD, I don't think it's as bad as the player base likes to claim. I think part of their prowess (lol) as a developer is that they've figured out great ways to work around their debt, compartmentalize bad systems and continue to develop and release new, cool features in spite of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DisgracelandUSA posted:

This is v. good commentary.

I've been thinking more about technical debt lately and I want to sperg but more but I'm phone posting so :effort: but I think the fact is that CCP is still releasing new content, qol features, new systems, and the occasional architectural upgrade. Their TD is bad, but, having worked on systems encumbered by enormous amounts of TD, I don't think it's as bad as the player base likes to claim. I think part of their prowess (lol) as a developer is that they've figured out great ways to work around their debt, compartmentalize bad systems and continue to develop and release new, cool features in spite of it.

From what I've heard, so much of what makes Eve tick is still tied to POS code, and the fact they're working around it while working on ways to finally excise that massive tumor is impressive. Yeah, people are going to whine about bugs and poo poo, and "WHY ARE YOU MAKING SHIPS INSTEAD OF FIXING THIS :argh:", but chances are those people have no idea how development works as a whole.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Eve definitely runs on pos code :smugdog:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What has worse code, Eve or these dead, gay forums?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Reminder that you can redeem a free capsule skin for the next days. Redeeming items was moved to the login-screen, there's a bar at the bottom if you can redeem something.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

iospace posted:

From what I've heard, so much of what makes Eve tick is still tied to POS code, and the fact they're working around it while working on ways to finally excise that massive tumor is impressive. Yeah, people are going to whine about bugs and poo poo, and "WHY ARE YOU MAKING SHIPS INSTEAD OF FIXING THIS :argh:", but chances are those people have no idea how development works as a whole.

Eh, I think this quote is misattributed. What really happened was that, on a lark, CCP decided to straight up delete all the code related to the operation of POS, on a test server build, just to see what would happen. This occurred without any particular finesse or purpose; it was just a "what if" to try and get a handle on the scope of the issue.

What turned out to happen was that POS use the same code as rats do to target and attack players. Since the code was used by POS, it got removed by whatever process they used. As such, rats stopped being able to attack players.

The takeaway here is that POS code can't just be roughly excised from the codebase in an afternoon. A nonzero amount of analysis will be required. Certainly, it's easier (more work, but easier) to design wholly new systems, remove the POS items from the game, and leave the code that governs them in place.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Eh, I think this quote is misattributed. What really happened was that, on a lark, CCP decided to straight up delete all the code related to the operation of POS, on a test server build, just to see what would happen. This occurred without any particular finesse or purpose; it was just a "what if" to try and get a handle on the scope of the issue.

What turned out to happen was that POS use the same code as rats do to target and attack players. Since the code was used by POS, it got removed by whatever process they used. As such, rats stopped being able to attack players.

The takeaway here is that POS code can't just be roughly excised from the codebase in an afternoon. A nonzero amount of analysis will be required. Certainly, it's easier (more work, but easier) to design wholly new systems, remove the POS items from the game, and leave the code that governs them in place.

Yeah. I forget that storage space isn't so much of a premium anymore. The downfall of being pretty much an embedded programmer for a while is you start thinking about space.

Oh well. But yeah, they're addressing problems so I have hope.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

Eve definitely runs on pos code :smugdog:

oops we accidentally made 20% of jfs die trying to get to highsec

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

oops we accidentally made 20% of jfs die trying to get to highsec

are these not getting posted to zkb or something because otherwise wow jf traffic sure has dropped off

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

iospace posted:

What has worse code, Eve or these dead, gay forums?

D-named poster's DNA.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
the hopefully-unintentional changes to how decelerating from warp works has really hosed JFs

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Landsknecht posted:

the hopefully-unintentional changes to how decelerating from warp works has really hosed JFs

Havent played in a few days. What did they gently caress up with warp deceleration?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

are these not getting posted to zkb or something because otherwise wow jf traffic sure has dropped off

well 20% of jfs are killable by being bumped off the highsec entrance gate*

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

well 20% of jfs are killable by being bumped off the highsec entrance gate*

rl nightmares of bumping on low sec gates.

I once had a 30 man frigate fleet on me when it happened but any ship that attempted tackle was blapped by gate guns. So I managed to warp to a station before they had time to get tackle cruisers.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Zephyrine posted:

rl nightmares of bumping on low sec gates.

I once had a 30 man frigate fleet on me when it happened but any ship that attempted tackle was blapped by gate guns. So I managed to warp to a station before they had time to get tackle cruisers.

we're going back to 2003 where everyone is gonna have insta warps right in the middle of the gate

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Reverand maynard posted:

we're going back to 2003 where everyone is gonna have insta warps right in the middle of the gate

No please no.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Reverand maynard posted:

actually that is a pretty good way to convince CCP to fix it -- remind them of the bookmark hell that was "no warp to zero"

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
What is the actual issue?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ynglaur posted:

What is the actual issue?

some change in the way warp deceleration works means that a ship with a large mass parked right on top of you can bounce you off of activation range of a gate before your client has a chance to issue the command to take the gate

this makes trying to plow a JF through a gate into highsec from lowsec not a guaranteed thing

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014
Could it be that the problem has the rorqual too? Normaly it works fine to warp at 2k but last time It didn't work and mostly they warp in the rock and bump.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

You can now bump things with session change invulnerability from warp. station undocking invulnerability is still unbumpable. I haven't tested any other session changes invulnerabilities.

tick 0 jf lands
tick 1 jf asks to jump
tick 2 ccp confirms and jumps jf

So you can bump a jf on tick 1 and if you push them further than 2500 away before tick 2 from the gate they can't jump, so if the jf lands within 500 of the gate it's really unlikely but landing further than 2,000 meters has a good shot of getting the jf killed. A good 500mn navy omen bump can move a jf like 1200 m/s if timed properly which is more than enough to bump a jf 500 meters or so away from the gate in a single tick.

Lots of people do the 'sit big ship on warpin point' but it's hard to account for multiple stations or jfs cynoing from citadels, it's super easy to just practice a couple dozen times on sisi and just count the ticks a jf comes to a gate and bump it perfectly with a nomen, much harder than anything other than a triaged fax can bump it.

i highly recommend everyone to do it and to kill as many jfs as possible, just to give ccp more workload of having to reimburse all the crybaby petitions.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

To be fair, "Warp to 0 and automatically jump in an uninterruptible way" is dumb. Disclaimer: Ice never flown a jump freighter.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Ynglaur posted:

To be fair, "Warp to 0 and automatically jump in an uninterruptible way" is dumb. Disclaimer: Ice never flown a jump freighter.

almost as dumb as having the option to warp to 0 if that's how you want to put it. For most gates you can make a bookmark inside the gate or off to the side such that you land at 0 and have to be bumped 5km+ just to get to 1m from the gate. You could set up such a book mark, warp to it, and mid-warp activate autopilot, and you would get similar results to what you're saying is dumb except with far more clicks and was basically the justification for even making warp to 0 instead of making everyone have bookmarks behind every gate for every possible warp path.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

remove warping from eve online, problems solved

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

remove eve online, problems solved

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

gwrtheyrn posted:

almost as dumb as having the option to warp to 0 if that's how you want to put it. For most gates you can make a bookmark inside the gate or off to the side such that you land at 0 and have to be bumped 5km+ just to get to 1m from the gate. You could set up such a book mark, warp to it, and mid-warp activate autopilot, and you would get similar results to what you're saying is dumb except with far more clicks and was basically the justification for even making warp to 0 instead of making everyone have bookmarks behind every gate for every possible warp path.

I'm not saying "make bookmark hell", but good point on how my thought logically leads to that conclusion. Perhaps something like, "You can't cyno/jump/re-warp for n seconds after completing a warp."

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ynglaur posted:

I'm not saying "make bookmark hell", but good point on how my thought logically leads to that conclusion. Perhaps something like, "You can't cyno/jump/re-warp for n seconds after completing a warp."

Just what this game needs -- more timers.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

:agreed: we need to add another re-enforcement stage for citadels

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Fair point.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The only people bitching about how hard it is to kill jfs are people who's entire in game purpose is to kill jfs. It's not really a big deal.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

an eve without JFs would be pretty funny

we'd all be flying T1 ships and wars would be decided by who had the best local industry

the best local industry, of course, being decided by how many titans you have for bridging freighters around

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

CainFortea posted:

The only people bitching about how hard it is to kill jfs are people who's entire in game purpose is to kill jfs. It's not really a big deal.

the only way to kill jfs is to rely on a bug ccp just put into the game, or by ganking them in highsec and requiring them to NOT have an outcyno, NOT to go through .5s/.6s and to NOT be tanked.

there are far too many ways to not get killed, and there is no way to either kill jfs or stop them from doing their job, which is really bad gameplay (doing any activity with impunity with a huge/important impact without being able to be stopped is pretty bad)

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

You forgot the classic "cyno a nyx onto them in lowsec"

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

gwrtheyrn posted:

You forgot the classic "cyno a nyx onto them in lowsec"

this requires them to be not tanked, stupid, AND afk.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

grr jf hat jf

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

level 5 missions, though, those are fine

XenJ
Aug 1, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

an eve without JFs would be pretty funny

we'd all be flying T1 ships and wars would be decided by who had the best local industry

the best local industry, of course, being decided by how many titans you have for bridging freighters around

I realy like this Idea.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

the only way to kill jfs is to rely on a bug ccp just put into the game, or by ganking them in highsec and requiring them to NOT have an outcyno, NOT to go through .5s/.6s and to NOT be tanked.

there are far too many ways to not get killed, and there is no way to either kill jfs or stop them from doing their job, which is really bad gameplay (doing any activity with impunity with a huge/important impact without being able to be stopped is pretty bad)

Even in a 0.5/0.6 if they are paying attention unless you are ready to go its still incredibly difficult, I legit have no idea how people could get caught if not for stupidity. Speaking of which, recently found out that things being shot by facpo for standings, not sec don't get pointed (at least not in 0.5) which was poo poo to discover, thought I was going to get a free JF kill

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

level 5 missions, though, those are fine

it's not even on a comparable level, you can stop people from running level 5 missions easily (it's not that jfs are unkillable, they can 100% do their job while remaining unkillable)

also it's 2017 level 5s blow for income

working mom posted:

Even in a 0.5/0.6 if they are paying attention unless you are ready to go its still incredibly difficult, I legit have no idea how people could get caught if not for stupidity. Speaking of which, recently found out that things being shot by facpo for standings, not sec don't get pointed (at least not in 0.5) which was poo poo to discover, thought I was going to get a free JF kill

yeah you just keep them bumped and the popo will kill em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

yeah you just keep them bumped and the popo will kill em

Thats the thing though, he was positive sec so it must've been standings that were why he was getting shot, but they only webbed and shot him as he managed to jump out sadly, had I known I'd have just ganked him :smith:

• Locked thread