Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I just caught up on this season and it's a lot of fun, enjoyable television. I know y'all are having a lot of fun ripping it apart in here, but I just wanna say that my inner child is having a blast. This may have something to do with my policy of skipping "love interest" scenes. Without pointless CW drama this is like a goofy live action Dragonball Z and I love it.

I'm catching up on Legends now as well, and I'm blown away by how much it's improved over last season. If the arrowverse can double down on dumb, fun action I'll be happy to forgive a lot of the missteps they've made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?
I just don't understand how he used a time remnant to defeat savitar and that time remnant became savitar there can't be a savitar to fight in the first place I don't get it, was this explained or am I missing something?

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
They should just rename the show "Speedforce" at this point and make it like Sliders, but instead of going to different dimensions he tries to fix whatever he's hosed via time traveling.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

6-year plan man posted:

I just don't understand how he used a time remnant to defeat savitar and that time remnant became savitar there can't be a savitar to fight in the first place I don't get it, was this explained or am I missing something?

Savitar killed all the time remnants except the one that is Savitar. Barry locks Savitar away in the speed force. Surviving time remnant becomes bitter because nobody like the idea of two Barrys running around and becomes Savitar.

Where it gets complicated is how freeing Savitar from the Speed force trap fits into things.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

6-year plan man posted:

...It's a loop. There isn't a first place.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Savitar did mention Flashpoint so that probably had something to do with it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hamsystem posted:

They should just rename the show "Speedforce" at this point and make it like Sliders, but instead of going to different dimensions he tries to fix whatever he's hosed via time traveling.

FWIW thats basically what they retooled Legends of Tomorrow into.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah but where did he get the suit?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Hollismason posted:

Yeah but where did he get the suit?

Well, Gideon says Barry built her, so at some point in the future I guess Barry becomes a genius inventor?

Or Tracy Brand built/will build it (time travel makes verb tenses hard) either under duress or because she's secretly evil or because she becomes evil through superscience mishaps.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

This is all fun conversation, but seriously, what is the McGuffin?

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

This is all fun conversation, but seriously, what is the McGuffin?
It's got to be the stone Dr. Alchemy was using to (re)make metahumans, right? Has anything about that been explained yet?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Is there a reason why Killer Frost cared about helping Savitar?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

WhyteRyce posted:

Looking for reasons is a black hole that you'll never escape from.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

WhyteRyce posted:

He promised to take away her powers, or did I just imagine that?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Don't think it's been revealed what she's getting out of it yet, or if it has I missed it. I assumed like, bringing Ronnie back or some poo poo? Who knows, they've written the whole Killer Frost thing so badly. Why does her getting her powers activated make her basically like Angelus or whatever?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WhyteRyce posted:

He promised to "kill" Caitlyn so she would be Killer Frost forever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
One of these days, someone in this thread is going to post a question about something that happened on this show and the response is going to be a full page of Speedforce gifs.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 12, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't have any idea what the gently caress Savitar is and I make the choice not to care and just enjoy the ride. Time travel is dumb.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Season 4 Big Bad confirmed.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

Barry creates Time Remnants to fight Savitar -> Savitar is defeated and a Time Remnant remains -> Time Remnant becomes Savitar and gets trapped in the Speed Force -> Events of S3, Iris Dies -> repeat.
The point of contention here is that from what we know so far, Savitar isn't defeated. Unless I'm remembering it wrong, Emo Future Barry says he created tons of time remnants but still couldn't stop him, and it wasn't until four years later until Dr. Whatever built the thing that he was able to trap him in the Speed Force. So for those four years there should have been both suit Savitar and leftover time-remnant Barry hanging around. Then after suit Savitar got trapped in the Speed Force leftover Barry is still out in the real world and able to do whatever.

But that's still not really a plothole with the way The Flash handles time travel because there's no issue with two of the same individual coexisting at the same time, and it's not like leftover Barry turned evil right away. Presumably he just moped around for a long time before going crazy, going through all that stuff about all his friends not accepting him because they already had a Barry, then at some point got the suit and set everything in motion. The problem is there's no initial point for suit Savitar that we know of. To look at it from the time remnant perspective:

Time remnant is created > Time remnant goes crazy from Iris dying, lack of support, whatever > Time remnant gets suit and becomes Savitar > ??? > Savitar escapes from Speed Force in S3 and kills Iris > Savitar runs loose for four years before getting trapped in Speed Force

So far all of Savitar's interactions with Team Flash have been shortly before or after he escapes from the Speed Force, the Savitar Emo Barry traps in the Speed Force is seemingly the same one who escaped a few years earlier, so what was Savitar doing after getting the suit?

But it's easier to just assume now that this Savitar is from a parallel timeline where Barry never figured out who Savitar was, since Emo Barry didn't know but our Barry does.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Don't think it's been revealed what she's getting out of it yet, or if it has I missed it. I assumed like, bringing Ronnie back or some poo poo? Who knows, they've written the whole Killer Frost thing so badly. Why does her getting her powers activated make her basically like Angelus or whatever?

Because the writers abhor any notion of actual character motivations or development. Bad people are bad because they are bad and good people are good because they are good. Beep boop.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's so Cisco can hit her with another happy memory and she rejoins team Flash, maybe after a motivational talk from Snart about being a cold based bad guy and learning to do the right thing, all just in time to wrap up the season.
Also I expect the cheap drama will be Julian being killed because no way he stays on as a member of the team for season 4 and no way they get rid of Wally "Better than Flash in every way" West by killing him or depowering him.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Would be neat if Caitlyn did rejoin but remain killer frost.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Avalerion posted:

Would be neat if Caitlyn did rejoin but remain killer frost.

That would be the best possible outcome for Killer Frost, so it won't be what happens.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!

irlZaphod posted:

Someone post the clip from the Star Trek TNG finale where Picard in his jammies explains a time paradox to Riker.

IT'S JUST LIKE THE CHICKEN AND THE EGG, WILL! THE CHICKEN AND THE EGG!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGfWrJR5Ck

Kilson fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 12, 2017

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

:smith:

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Last episode, Barry's going to create the time remnants anyways. One will survive.

"Why'd you do it, Bare?" they'll say.

"Sorry guys, it was on an impulse."

They'll decide to be nice to him instead of shunning him and he'll ask to be called Bart.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GigaPeon posted:

Last episode, Barry's going to create the time remnants anyways. One will survive.

"Why'd you do it, Bare?" they'll say.

"Sorry guys, it was on an impulse."

They'll decide to be nice to him instead of shunning him and he'll ask to be called Bart.

And then after a couple episodes of build up at the start of Season 4, he'll decide to go over to Earth-2 to be the Flash there so that Jessie can come back to Earth-1 and be with Wally and Jay can finally get out of Speed Hell and go back to Earth-3. Just so that Grant Gustin doesn't have to spend all that time acting against himself via greenscreen.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Why did they call Barry in to check out the Speed Force Bazooka? He didn't have anything to do with it and they know Savitar will know everything he learns!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Aren't time remnants created by travelling a half a second back (forward?) in time? Why couldn't the leftover time remnant just go back to when he came from?

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

lotus circle posted:

Season 4 Big Bad confirmed.

Once again Reverse Flash is the real hero!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

McSpanky posted:

Why did they call Barry in to check out the Speed Force Bazooka? He didn't have anything to do with it and they know Savitar will know everything he learns!

"Barry- We need you to go on vacation for a bit. We're working on a plan to defeat Savitar but it will only work if you don't know what it is."

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Reverse_flash_theyre_idiots.gif

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's this weird reversal of competence that's like the inverse ninja law or the storm trooper effect that all of the CW shows except maybe Supergirl has where, in order to balance the fact there's almost a half dozen people on the heroes side, they have to be dumbed down or the villains made hyper competent to even the odds.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

nelson posted:

"Barry- We need you to go on vacation for a bit. We're working on a plan to defeat Savitar but it will only work if you don't know what it is."

I know that "why doesn't Spiderman just call The Avengers for help?" is a well-worn dumb comics thing, but seriously. This is the exact specific situation where he really should be calling his other superhero friends for help

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

oh jay posted:

Aren't time remnants created by travelling a half a second back (forward?) in time? Why couldn't the leftover time remnant just go back to when he came from?

Not like time travel on the show has been consistent with this, but the idea is that bringing the remnant back to the present changes the future, the timeline he's from no longer exists so there's nowhere to go back to.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

I know that "why doesn't Spiderman just call The Avengers for help?" is a well-worn dumb comics thing, but seriously. This is the exact specific situation where he really should be calling his other superhero friends for help

The episode where they did just this for the Reverse-Flash loving ruled so I don't see why not. The universe is bigger now but Savitar is a bigger threat, it could be pretty amazing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

McSpanky posted:

The episode where they did just this for the Reverse-Flash loving ruled so I don't see why not. The universe is bigger now but Savitar is a bigger threat, it could be pretty amazing.

From what I've read this year the producers of each show are reticent to do small crossovers and cross-show continuity bits like they did before because they think they've shot themselves in the foot by having so many successful shows in the same universe. They've rationalized it by saying "we don't want to assign our audience homework" by allegedly forcing them to keep up with the entire CWverse to understand how show A was suddenly affected by something major happening on show C (like how the Legends breaking the gently caress out of time, and then ending their season three months before every other series didn't result in dinosaurs running around on Flash and Arrow of the rest of their runs this year).

And to an extent, I get that, especially with the wacky bullshit Legends gets up to, that stuff kind of does need to be partitioned behind watertight doors at times, but they've kind of gone overboard with the philosophy and have applied it to the whole drat universe this year, the mandated yearly crossover specials notwithstanding. And I think that's a little insulting to their audience's intelligence... but not by loving much because your average TV viewing family is dumb as poo poo on a good day.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

nine-gear crow posted:

From what I've read this year the producers of each show are reticent to do small crossovers and cross-show continuity bits like they did before because they think they've shot themselves in the foot by having so many successful shows in the same universe. They've rationalized it by saying "we don't want to assign our audience homework" by allegedly forcing them to keep up with the entire CWverse to understand how show A was suddenly affected by something major happening on show C (like how the Legends breaking the gently caress out of time, and then ending their season three months before every other series didn't result in dinosaurs running around on Flash and Arrow of the rest of their runs this year).

That's hilarious considering how implausibly the Reverse Flash takedown fit into Ollie's story at that time anyway; you'd think you'd have to watch that week's Arrow to understand where it fit, but doing that just ends up confusing you even more, and you'd have to do a bunch of contortions of the timeline to make it fit.

Then again, contortions of the timeline are what Barry's best at anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
That was an episode where whacky things were happening in a lighthearted way - I know this because of the plinky plonky music in the background. I would have been confused if that wasn't there.

• Locked thread