Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They increase your speed. Your top speed is maxed when you have 10. You also get a tiny speed boost whenever you collect one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Your speed gets incrementally faster the more coins you have (with a max of 10). You also get a tiny, barely-visible boost whenever you collect one.

It's generally not worth going out of your way to collect them, but if you can adjust your line to pick up some (at least until you get 10), it won't hurt.

efb

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

They increase your speed. Your top speed is maxed when you have 10. You also get a tiny speed boost whenever you collect one.

:aaaaa:

Well maybe that will add that 0.05 seconds I need to beat the time trial times.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Coins are why chasing Maple Leaf the other day was such a pain in the dick. I was close enough to be on his rear end, but not far enough off so that the coins would respawn for me and give me any oomph.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I think it's great that there are so many things (besides that stupid fire hop poo poo) this game does to really let people be skillful. Then it all doesn't matter when you get a blue shell in the face.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there anything you can do to recover faster from getting hit? I spectate every now and then and I'll spot someone get hit by a shell and not even lose half of his speed.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is there anything you can do to recover faster from getting hit? I spectate every now and then and I'll spot someone get hit by a shell and not even lose half of his speed.

That's online lag, the local client will display what makes sense to it until I gets an update and corrects it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Join goon cup jabronis let's get s game going

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nephzinho posted:

Coins are why chasing Maple Leaf the other day was such a pain in the dick. I was close enough to be on his rear end, but not far enough off so that the coins would respawn for me and give me any oomph.

Yeah, the coin boosts don't seem like much but you can get a huge lead if you keep preventing people behind you from getting them and you're not being harassed much.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Stangg posted:

:aaaaa:

Well maybe that will add that 0.05 seconds I need to beat the time trial times.

It worked, I beat my first ghost in two more attempts. Dunked the next one by 4 seconds and then proceeded to get dicked on over and over in the candy mountain track.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Friends it is time for Goon Cup. :getin:

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
the ai cheats in this game?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

General Morden posted:

the ai cheats in this game?

I haven't noticed it. It seems really fair compared to previous ones.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

There's definitely rubberbanding, but it seems pretty fair.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

I am one rusty motherfucker at this game. Also anyone got a peak goon time for the two tournaments so I can become slightly less rusty?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Norns posted:

There's definitely rubberbanding, but it seems pretty fair.

I have a replay of Waluigi keeping pace with me on Super Bell Subway at 200cc. It is not fair. He didn't drift and he often took the longer routes, and he was still on me.

That level of rubberbanding might just be reserved for 200cc, the most X-Treme of the ccs, though. I didn't have any issue with 150cc.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Commissar Ken posted:

I am one rusty motherfucker at this game. Also anyone got a peak goon time for the two tournaments so I can become slightly less rusty?

There's three of us in here right now. Seems to be between 5-9pm EST for me mostly.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Commissar Ken posted:

It usually picks up around 5pm PST/8pm EST each day.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

SeANMcBAY posted:

people have said that they have unfair green shell, banana, and bomb item aiming at the higher grand prix levels

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Meridian posted:

There's three of us in here right now. Seems to be between 5-9pm EST for me mostly.

Weird was playing with one goon then a totally separate goon. Does it segregate into rooms or should I just leave and enter till I snag it?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Commissar Ken posted:

Weird was playing with one goon then a totally separate goon. Does it segregate into rooms or should I just leave and enter till I snag it?

I actually just dipped out since it was just me and a dude named SilverNova. Figured I'd try back a little later once I saw more people posting here or in the discord.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Discord you say?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Commissar Ken posted:

Discord you say?

https://discord.gg/nnH4wXF

edit: I just joined for some races.

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
Just got this game yesterday after playing a lot on Wii U and I'm still bad! I will join and try to make everyone else feel better.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

The Manticore posted:

Just got this game yesterday after playing a lot on Wii U and I'm still bad! I will join and try to make everyone else feel better.

Good man.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

General Morden posted:

people have said that they have unfair green shell, banana, and bomb item aiming at the higher grand prix levels

I suppose. It's still much better than the previous games.

I still find it hilarious when other racers conjure up exclusive items out of nowhere in the first Mario Kart.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Let's go goons, there's nothing more important for you to be doing on a friday night than getting drunk and playing Kart game.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

When you say rubberbanding do you mean in the traditional video game sense in that a player is bouncing around due to lag?

Or do you mean the game lets NPC's just magically get faster?

Beastie fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 13, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Can some of you goon room regulars add me as a friend? I figure I'd have a better chance of getting in via the friend option vs. just trying to get in the tournament.

SW-1651-3438-4706

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Can some of you goon room regulars add me as a friend? I figure I'd have a better chance of getting in via the friend option vs. just trying to get in the tournament.

SW-1651-3438-4706

Sent.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

SW-1651-3438-4706

Added you. Added all you crafty schmucks I got to play.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
3 in here let's gooo

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SeANMcBAY posted:

"Previous" in this case being Mario Kart Wii, the game whose AI made Skynet look as harmless as the MS Word Paperclip.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's two in here now and we need more!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's two in here now and we need more!

Coming in. Hopefully one of you that added me as a friend is in.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
SilverNova, I don't know how you overtook me at the end there, but you're a cheating rear end in a top hat bastard and I despise you for it :colbert:.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I DONT THINK SO SPRAYLAN

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Maple Leaf posted:

I have a replay of Waluigi keeping pace with me on Super Bell Subway at 200cc. It is not fair. He didn't drift and he often took the longer routes, and he was still on me.

That level of rubberbanding might just be reserved for 200cc, the most X-Treme of the ccs, though. I didn't have any issue with 150cc.

Bit late but yeah, your characters assigned rival will break rules to keep pace with you. Toadettes rival is Wario and seeing him take a 200cc turn in Neo Bowser City without drifting is hilarious.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

God damnit! That didn't go well at all... Lol

Edit: Finally!

Canned Panda fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That was some BULLLLLLLLLSHIT at the end of that race.

• Locked thread