Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
having a crazy person yell at u is not a big deal and is in fact a not uncommon occurrence in my life???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

deadgoon posted:

having a crazy person yell at u is not a big deal and is in fact a not uncommon occurrence in my life???

Well yeah you post on these forums

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

mysterious frankie posted:

Well yeah you post on these forums

whor you callin crazy

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lol, that doesnt surprise me at all. with trump slowly making things worse for alot of people. people dont have time for some click bait didactic bullshit and are finally seeing it as part of the problem.

FuzzySkinner posted:

He's acting like a loving gorilla. Pounding his chest, playing with his dick.

He reminds me of those dipshits I'd run into back home in my little town. They'd live in the 'burbs, but try to put up this big front about how "country" they were, all while driving those big rear end "lifted" trucks. They always seemed to reject education and opportunities to better themselves in favor of being purposely ignorant.

There's like a mass difference between guys like this and the "trailer park" stereotypes people like to prop up as stereotypical :911: voters. In my experience? That guy would be more of an accurate representation versus someone who's struggling to make ends meet.

pretty much. he is rural towny trash, who give rural folks a even worse name. he probaly jerks off to cernovich or some poo poo like that.

and of course he is in the end, a giant pussy.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Had this show up in my feed via a Jimmy Dore fan account.

https://twitter.com/HeyAprill/status/863038867317956610

1.) Who is celebrating white women wearing braids? Why do you care what the hell these shallow people think?

2.) It's a private school and they can choose to enforce whatever dress code they want. I can guarantee whites, asians, hispanics...whatever the gently caress cannot wear that hairstyle they got in trouble for.

3.)Black people can wear braids on the same magazine covers, and other various mediums as white people. (I believe this was the issue, correct?) A quick google search confirms that black entertainers and athletes have been doing it for a long time with no issue.

4.) The origins of "braids" doesn't appear to be strictly "black" per the quick research I did.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Are you quoting somebody?

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

FuzzySkinner posted:

Had this show up in my feed via a Jimmy Dore fan account.

https://twitter.com/HeyAprill/status/863038867317956610

1.) Who is celebrating white women wearing braids? Why do you care what the hell these shallow people think?

2.) It's a private school and they can choose to enforce whatever dress code they want. I can guarantee whites, asians, hispanics...whatever the gently caress cannot wear that hairstyle they got in trouble for.

3.)Black people can wear braids on the same magazine covers, and other various mediums as white people. (I believe this was the issue, correct?) A quick google search confirms that black entertainers and athletes have been doing it for a long time with no issue.

4.) The origins of "braids" doesn't appear to be strictly "black" per the quick research I did.

It's coming from inside the thread

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cinnamon Bear posted:

It's coming from inside the thread

Here. Have a reason why the guillotine will be coming back in style

https://twitter.com/kirstinbutler/status/863117497511399424

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Black women's hair (well some but not all) acts differently than you think, because it's actually physically different. It doesn't stay straight, it fuzzes and curls. So braiding it makes sense, just to keep it neat. The alternative is using an iron to straighten it out, but that has drawbacks, and some women don't want to do that.

So while technically the school has the right, it's stupid to do this, because its going to unduly inconvenience people whose hair doesn't just sit flat.

As long as it's neat, tidy & presentable, it shouldn't be a problem, and braiding is fine imo. The only reason you'd pass this policy is if you think braiding is necessarily 'ghetto' or whatever, but that's not true, or rather, it's only true because black people have been shoved into ghettos.

Complaining about appropriation is also dumb here, as is the weird logic that complaining about hair appropriation is justified because of these policies - white people aren't a monolithic block, and the people passing these policies arent gonna be the same ones that braid their hair. But it's not an entirely unpredictable response either, because anger manifests itself in weird ways.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

rudatron posted:

Black women's hair (well some but not all) acts differently than you think, because it's actually physically different. It doesn't stay straight, it fuzzes and curls. So braiding it makes sense, just to keep it neat. The alternative is using an iron to straighten it out, but that has drawbacks, and some women don't want to do that.

So while technically the school has the right, it's stupid to do this, because its going to unduly inconvenience people whose hair doesn't just sit flat.

As long as it's neat, tidy & presentable, it shouldn't be a problem, and braiding is fine imo. The only reason you'd pass this policy is if you think braiding is necessarily 'ghetto' or whatever, but that's not true, or rather, it's only true because black people have been shoved into ghettos.

Complaining about appropriation is also dumb here, as is the weird logic that complaining about hair appropriation is justified because of these policies - white people aren't a monolithic block, and the people passing these policies arent gonna be the same ones that braid their hair. But it's not an entirely unpredictable response either, because anger manifests itself in weird ways.

See I think this is a fair argument and that needs to be made. I can understand this perspective and share in the feeling that, that in fact is a bullshit way of doing things. If it's from the perspective of "hey this is bullshit and racist"? I'm on board with this.

But yeah the "Cultural appropriation" line of thinking is the wrong way to go. Going monolith about people is incredibly dumb.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

rudatron posted:

It's because of hair extensions, not because they're braided, people are crying racism because black girls are more likely to get a weave than white girls.

Source: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...1QMP/story.html

edit: The thing the school isn't being consistent on is kids that colour their hair, which I imagine is because it involved getting their hair dyed again to correct rather than taking something out, but they apparently only started actually enforcing this sort of stuff after spring break so it might just be some inconsistency as they finally start enforcing their policies.

lohli has issued a correction as of 08:42 on May 13, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

So is the reaction against "identity politics" here more an attempt to wrest it away from corporatism or what? Like how people now think shopping at Target is woke because morons are boycotting them and poo poo like that?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

So is the reaction against "identity politics" here more an attempt to wrest it away from corporatism or what? Like how people now think shopping at Target is woke because morons are boycotting them and poo poo like that?

The idpol warriors tend to be just as exclusionary and hateful/spiteful as /pol/ers. They just target their hate and exclusion at different parts of society. If your goal is inclusion and equality then the sort of rhetoric espoused by the loudest idpollers is damaging to the cause.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Byolante posted:

The idpol warriors tend to be just as exclusionary and hateful/spiteful as /pol/ers. They just target their hate and exclusion at different parts of society. If your goal is inclusion and equality then the sort of rhetoric espoused by the loudest idpollers is damaging to the cause.

Can you break this down further for me? I think I know what you're saying but I just want to make sure this isn't "BLM is a hategroup" type garbage

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

Can you break this down further for me? I think I know what you're saying but I just want to make sure this isn't "BLM is a hategroup" type garbage

People who think that speech should be shut down with violence, or that certain groups in the population should be denied the franchise. Because the people losing the franchise in the specific case is cis white males or the people losing their first amendment rights are maga hat wearing yahoos a lot of people are happy to jump on the bandwagon and cheer for it. Before you decide you are going to strip a class of people a fundamental human right you should think long and hard about what you are planning to do and who else has done the same act but to a different class of people.

BLM from everything I have seen is trying to restore fundamental rights to people who currently lack them so they really aren't anything to do with the sort of people I am talking about.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I don't even like Jeet Heer that much but Eric Garland is an incredibly stupid human being.

https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/863312235501846529
https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/863314139875336192

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"the worst possible take," says man who made 100+ tweets about russia stealing the election from hillary clinton

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Expanding and protecting rights: Good
Denying rights and cultural segregation: Bad

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/thekarami/status/863415752090501121

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Not a Step posted:

Expanding and protecting rights: Good
Denying rights and cultural segregation: Bad

What identity politics focused groups do you all think do this? Hoteps?

I get laughing at Dems who respond to cries for economic and social justice and adequate health care with "But Russia!" but Nunes has actively tampered with the Russian investigation, and was a huge manbaby about it. Why not hammer him about it? Lots of people are pissed about it, I don't think it's just neolib Dems.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

this guy is worth mocking because who is just now realizing this

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lightning Lord posted:

I get laughing at Dems who respond to cries for economic and social justice and adequate health care with "But Russia!" but Nunes has actively tampered with the Russian investigation, and was a huge manbaby about it. Why not hammer him about it? Lots of people are pissed about it, I don't think it's just neolib Dems.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
make a case against republicans with russia and make a case for dems with jobs and healthcare and equality

extremely tough imo

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

an actual dog posted:

this guy is worth mocking because who is just now realizing this

The problem isn't so much republican voter turn out. That's a number of people who are likely excited, willing to get off their rear end and vote for Trump, etc. Barring him making GBS threads up the White House ala GW Bush? They'll come out in 2018, 2020 for him.

The problem is the sheer lack of enthusiasm within independent and democratic voters. When you have someone like Nancy Pelosi who is one of the most prominent democrats out there pretty much say things like "We're capitalists" and "No sngle payer". Why would you want to get off your rear end and pull the lever for "D" at this point?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/g0...w.google.com%2F

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

anime was right posted:

make a case against republicans with russia and make a case for dems with jobs and healthcare and equality

extremely tough imo

The problem is the republican base finds this laughable and annoying. If the strategy is "Red Baiting Trump is gonna get Republican voters to turn on him". It aiin't working. People like Limbaugh, the TCOT types...all mock this poo poo regularly and will circle the wagon for Trump at a moment's notice.

I mean it'll get the "NEVER TRUMP/EVAN MCMULLIN/GLENN BECK"-type Republicans on their side. But those people are in a very small minority compared to the rest of their base. You are not getting the "Gods and Guns" types to turn on him.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

FuzzySkinner posted:

The problem is the republican base finds this laughable and annoying. If the strategy is "Red Baiting Trump is gonna get Republican voters to turn on him". It aiin't working. People like Limbaugh, the TCOT types...all mock this poo poo regularly and will circle the wagon for Trump at a moment's notice.

I mean it'll get the "NEVER TRUMP/EVAN MCMULLIN/GLENN BECK"-type Republicans on their side. But those people are in a very small minority compared to the rest of their base. You are not getting the "Gods and Guns" types to turn on him.

Yeah this is true I mean actual white supremacists are marching around going "Russia is our friend"

I just don't want to see them get away with this poo poo you know?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

The problem isn't so much republican voter turn out. That's a number of people who are likely excited, willing to get off their rear end and vote for Trump, etc. Barring him making GBS threads up the White House ala GW Bush? They'll come out in 2018, 2020 for him.

The problem is the sheer lack of enthusiasm within independent and democratic voters. When you have someone like Nancy Pelosi who is one of the most prominent democrats out there pretty much say things like "We're capitalists" and "No sngle payer". Why would you want to get off your rear end and pull the lever for "D" at this point?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/g0...w.google.com%2F

If the republican party ditched the whole "hate minorities of all kinds" angle the Democratic party really wouldn't have anything going for it, because that's basically the only reason I ever hear from people I've talked to about why they support the democrats.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah this is true I mean actual white supremacists are marching around going "Russia is our friend"

I just don't want to see them get away with this poo poo you know?

What poo poo. The russia stuff is hysteria

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

when people say, "your background is different from mine, you have never experienced my particular species of pain, it is impossible for you to understand, there is no way for us to be equal parts of a common movement, you should either take a subservient role or stick to your own kind", that's identity politics, and it's real bad

deadgoon has issued a correction as of 09:25 on May 14, 2017

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Byolante posted:

What poo poo. The russia stuff is hysteria

i have a hard time wrapping my head around the mental process that's making establishment dems think a loving red scare is their ticket to success

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Office Surprise Store posted:

i have a hard time wrapping my head around the mental process that's making establishment dems think a loving red scare is their ticket to success

I don't think it's anything more complicated than "door number one pisses off donors and well off voters, door number two kinda fires them up" combined with their general fecklessness

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

When the DNC got a tame security company to audit their servers instead of the FBI to 'prove' it was deffo russian state actors I knew something was up. Its only got more outlandish since then.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Reminder one of the heads of that security firm, Crowdstrike, is also a senior fellow of a think tank heavily involved in America's response to populism in Europe. Here is a valuable paper they published in mid 2016

The Atlantic Council posted:

A wave of far-right populism is sweeping across Europe. Once on the fringes of politics, extremist parties are capitalizing on the refugee crisis and the financial meltdown of 2008 to gain at the polls. The re-emergence of anti-immigrant and isolationist groups and parties in Europe erodes the European Union’s ability to coordinate policies for solving Europe’s crises. Indeed, their growing popularity undermines the basic tenets of the European project. Taking advantage of Europe’s far-right turn, Russia has been aiding its far-right allies, which in turn publicly support Putin’s geopolitical interests and foreign policy agenda. Western policymakers have been slow to recognize the problem and to effectively respond. At a time when Europe faces some of its greatest challenges, we urgently need strategy-driven policies to strengthen the transatlantic relationship.

I do wonder how that security firm came up with the answer that Putin was helping a right wing populist win an election over a globalist.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

El Mero Mero posted:

I'm not sure why people are lukewarm on the Russia items in this thread. That line of coverage has generated more resignations, prosecution-worthy rear end-covering, and political capital expenditures from the right than any other particular thread.

It's pretty clearly the opposite of a nothing burger, even if it doesn't end up pulling down trump.

SSNeoman posted:

This Russia thing needs to become the new Benghazi. Regardless if it's true or not. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Majorian posted:

Well, I have good news for you - it's already bigger than Benghazi. I'm pretty certain there is something at the center of this. It probably isn't as sexy as Putin directly controlling Trump, but I think it's something along the lines of Trump having done business with the Russian mob that has caused him to become compromised. That may not sound like much, but as the hoary old maxim goes, the coverup is worse than the crime. It was the case with Watergate, and it is the case, and will continue to be the case going forward, with Trump.

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah. Honestly, I will be VERY surprised if anyone goes to jail over this or suffers in any way, but it's a good way of casting a shadow over the GOP.

[this is what establishment dems actually believe]

I always laugh when they rush to say it's not a red scare or red-baiting because russia isn't red anymore :downs:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

lol they still believe in "political capital" in d&d

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

obama has so much political capital banked that he's gonna be more powerful than president goku

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

have coordinated campaigns that amount to accusing a sitting president of treason ever worked out in modern America? it's not working with Trump and probably won't, it didn't work with Obama, nor with Clinton, nor with JFK

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

have coordinated campaigns that amount to accusing a sitting president of treason ever worked out in modern America? it's not working with Trump and probably won't, it didn't work with Obama, nor with Clinton, nor with JFK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5gSTa8O17c

It makes you actually want to cheer on Trump because the media in this country are incompetent dickbags.

I SHOULDN'T be feeling the emotion of wanting that, but holy gently caress these people are bad at holding the powerful accountable. They helped carry water to get us into Iraq, protected war criminals, and smeared a lot of people out there.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/TIME/status/864166012689817600

I don't understand the world these people live in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I swear this guy says the same thing every other year. We got riled up about the same dumb comments a few years ago. "Stupid POORS, eat nothing but rice until you are a mogul, like me."

• Locked thread