Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Kazinsal posted:

Maple syrup and heroin goes to Montreal. Money and no heroin comes back to Riverdale.

K so....thst makes even less sense though.

Cause montreal has traditionally been righr around where we make Maple Syrup here in Canada. As well Montreal is massive port where people have smuggled in heroin for distribution in the states.

So he is sending poo poo to where literally they have it alrwady in greater numbers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

Cheryl was telegraphing her intentions pretty hard, and right when she was going to open up to The Gang they took off without a second thought to save Jughead from (being the most popular kid at) Southside High. That moment felt like it was lifted from something like Wet Hot American Summer or Strangers With Candy, asking the vulnerable peer to open up and IMMEDIATELY ignoring her.

The Jughead thing was later in the episode. The point where Cheryl was about to open up and everyone took off was the Betty Cooper, Serpent Slut scene, and they left because Kevin said it was urgent.

Speaking of Jughead being surrounded by friends and admirers on the South Side, do we really think it's just because he fits in better there? Or does everyone kind of know who he is? There seems to be this idea going around that Jughead is basically South Side royalty, and I kind of like it. It'd be cool to find out that Forsythe Pendleton the First was the loving founder of the Serpents or something.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Well, he's weird.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
gently caress me, retro noir episode next season. Set it with FP the first and the.rest of the groups ancestors played by them.

.....actually poo poo yeah. You can show the beginning of the cooper/blossom poo poo too.

Seriously I originally started this as a joke but after typing it, I actually think it has potential

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

That's some classic Archie right there!

I hope with Hiram Lodge coming in that Archie gets to be more of a bumbling dummy because that's more or less the only relationship he's ever had with Veronica's dad. If they're gonna be insistent on not bringing in the supernatural despite the heavyhanded hints, at least give Archie back his supernatural talent for loving up the simplest tasks.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fighting Trousers posted:

Nah, the sight of Juggie in that Serpents jacket killed her lady boner.

I wish they would've cut to her waking up wearing the jacket in the morning. :heysexy:

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

bunnyofdoom posted:

Cause montreal has traditionally been righr around where we make Maple Syrup here in Canada. As well Montreal is massive port where people have smuggled in heroin for distribution in the states.

So he is sending poo poo to where literally they have it alrwady in greater numbers?

I think it's the other way around - the heroin comes from Montreal (in the barrels they're gonna put the maple syrup in?) and gets smuggled around the US by Cliff.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Murderion posted:

I think it's the other way around - the heroin comes from Montreal (in the barrels they're gonna put the maple syrup in?) and gets smuggled around the US by Cliff.

I think this is closer but, but the Blossoms are built up as syrup MAGNATES, implying they're not just harvesting their own land. They probably import, bottle and sell Canadian syrup and other American syrup, and the actual Blossom land is for Blossom Special Reserve or whatever. This is the model used by major winemakers, distilleries, olive oil bottlers, and some breweries the world over, for instance.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So they made upgraded Kevin to series regular. Hopefully now that means he'll have something to do!

Then again, I'm pretty sure Josie was listed as a regular this season and we all know how that went. :sweatdrop:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

Showrunner Interview

So there's your genre twist: It's not a supernatural one, it's a superHERO one.
I'm going to be bummed if we don't get a cold open of Archie dreaming that he's Pureheart the Powerful.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Archie meets The Punisher WHEN

Jems
Mar 23, 2005

Duckling, darling.

X-O posted:

I don't know if you've ever read any Archie comics, but I've been reading the new series by Mark Waid

Some of Archie's finer moments:

Haha. I haven't been checking out the latest comics but these (and the ones I didn't quote - especially the icecream one) are amazing.

I totally read all of Jughead's lines in the actor's voice. Less so with KJ for Archie, but man oh man. I want to go out and pick these up for sure now.

So good.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Apparently, next season is going to be a full 22 episodes, which has me kind of worried. It's possible to do a 22-episode season and maintain a consistent level of quality throughout, but it's not easy, and very few shows I've watched have actually pulled it off. I'm hoping they take the Agents of SHIELD route where the season is basically divided into two or three 'pods' that are basically mini-seasons that tell separate-but-connected stories. 'Who killed Jason Blossom' would not have been sustainable for 22 episodes, and I don't know why 'Who shot Fred Andrews' would.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
In the first episode it will turn out that it was just a random mugging.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Are you sure? I thought their main revenue stream was strip clubs.

Even the old lady bagging my groceries at a Shopper's drug mart asked if I bought a lap dance, that city is not shy about their trades.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Archie punching through the ice was the most intense scene of any show I've watched this month. That was some goddamned good television.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

esperterra posted:

Archie meets The Punisher WHEN

Archie BECOMES The Punisher. Seeing his dad shot and killed in front of him breaks him to the point where he decides if Riverdale is going to poo poo, he'll be there use the blood of the guilty to wash away the filth.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

"There's a vigilante in town that calls himself 'Archiekins'. We don't have any suspects, but he's probably one of the Snakes."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Codependent Poster posted:

"There's a vigilante in town that calls himself 'Archiekins'. We don't have any suspects, but he's probably one of the Snakes."

By the way, I love your Pizza Dog avatar. That Matt Fraction run of Hawkeye was great. Kate is basically Veronica Lodge if she had decided to become a marvel hero. To be honest, that describes her so well, that I wonder if that was an inspiration in some way.

If Archie becomes Punisher, Veronica should become Hawkeye.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Rhyno posted:

Archie punching through the ice was the most intense scene of any show I've watched this month. That was some goddamned good television.

That made me feel nauseous. Then wonder why he didn't just use his foot. Although I guess he could have fallen in if he'd done that.

Could someone really have survived falling through the ice like that? All it took was some CPR and hot chocolate and she was ready for her next crazy gothic adventure. Whoever directs this show needs to start adapting Virginia Andrews novels because they capture that sort of tone perfectly.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

SEX BURRITO posted:

That made me feel nauseous. Then wonder why he didn't just use his foot. Although I guess he could have fallen in if he'd done that.

Could someone really have survived falling through the ice like that? All it took was some CPR and hot chocolate and she was ready for her next crazy gothic adventure. Whoever directs this show needs to start adapting Virginia Andrews novels because they capture that sort of tone perfectly.
Hypothermia actually takes a while to set in, even in really cold water. She might have still had water in her lungs which could potentially cause her problems later, but secondary drowning mostly occurs in children because they have smaller lungs more easily overwhelmed by small amounts of leftover water. The bigger and more obvious issue is that they left someone by themselves in the immediate aftermath of a suicide attempt.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Spergatory posted:

Apparently, next season is going to be a full 22 episodes, which has me kind of worried. It's possible to do a 22-episode season and maintain a consistent level of quality throughout, but it's not easy, and very few shows I've watched have actually pulled it off.

:stare:

That's... not a good idea. Even during this season the murder mystery seemed stretched out.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm assuming next season is going to be less murder mystery and more character drama. Archie trying to deal with the fact that his father got shot, Betty trying to deal with Jughead being a Serpent, Jughead rising up the ranks and being ostracized by the north side of Riverdale, and Veronica balancing her vaguely-mafia parents and her feelings for Archie.

And, of course, Kevin being amazing.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

A lot of characters were really underserved this year. Pussycats, Reggie, Ethel, Polly, Kevin+Joaquin. Like, the entire K+J romance was, what, they make out a drive-through, Joaquin is introduced as Kevin's boyfriend at Jughead's party, and Joaquin leaves town? Polly was barely part of the season. I feel this season could have used like 3-5 more episodes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/dim-the-lights-and-feast-your-eyes-on-netflix-s-jughead-1795206111

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Reggie Mantle has been recast with male model Charles Melton taking over for Ross Butler. The implication is that Reggie will actually be a character going forward.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Spergatory posted:

Apparently, next season is going to be a full 22 episodes, which has me kind of worried. It's possible to do a 22-episode season and maintain a consistent level of quality throughout, but it's not easy, and very few shows I've watched have actually pulled it off. I'm hoping they take the Agents of SHIELD route where the season is basically divided into two or three 'pods' that are basically mini-seasons that tell separate-but-connected stories. 'Who killed Jason Blossom' would not have been sustainable for 22 episodes, and I don't know why 'Who shot Fred Andrews' would.

I agree completely....though I would be 100% OK with a filler episode of Jughead eating at various burger places.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Kazinsal posted:

I'm assuming next season is going to be less murder mystery and more character drama. Archie trying to deal with the fact that his father got shot, Betty trying to deal with Jughead being a Serpent, Jughead rising up the ranks and being ostracized by the north side of Riverdale, and Veronica balancing her vaguely-mafia parents and her feelings for Archie.

I hope at some point Betty ends up running the Serpents for a while when Jughead goes missing or something.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Cole Sprouse had some thoughts on the larger episode order:

Cole Sprouse posted:

Here’s my opinion on this tall order as an actor on the show, so take it with a grain of salt.

While a smaller season (13 episodes) would keep the narratives more succinct, a larger season would compliment our show in the exact way we have all been wanting.

What you guys probably don’t know, because you’re only seeing the final product, is that we cut a TON of footage from this season due to timing. If nothing shot was omitted, we, realistically, would have had around 17 episodes worth of content.

We’re a huge ensemble for a show. Massive. And were only getting bigger. With Kevin becoming a series regular in season two, and the introduction of a host of new, fundamental, characters to the season, a taller order will give us space to discuss characters that many people feel didn’t get the screen time they deserved (which we all agree with).

it will also benefit us with negative space. What do I mean by negative space? I mean silence. Silence is a fundamental, drama building rule for entertainment. Actors will often bury a lot of micro expressions within that silence, and that can lend itself to character development. negative space is something season 1, truthfully, doesn’t have a lot of. And a larger season will allow us to keep and hold our voices in scenes that I believe will serve the quality of our show.

Another thing to consider, is that the majority of our audience comes from digital mediums such as the CW app and netflix. With our introduction to US netflix this month, many people will be binging our show all at once. A larger season only assists this kind of digestion.

Lastly, a larger season keeps everyone on the crew working :) many families will be very pleased to have a larger working order.

As of now, I can’t spoil too much, but we are not planning on any “filler” episodes. Considering how jam packed season 1 was, a larger order will allow us to re-infuse the show with a lot of the neo-noir genre elements we all grew to love as a cast and crew.

We’re all very excited to start working, and equally excited for you guys to see all our prospective work.

-Cole
I mean, I can't disagree that a lot of characters were kind of underserved this season. Josie and the Pussycats, Kevin and boyfriend, Asian Dude-Bro Reggie (though that was for other reasons).

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
All you guys talking about Archie becoming Batman, I just keep thinking about James Ellroy's My Dark Places and Death Wish, and what the Archie/CW versions of that would look like. If the longer episode order means I only have to wait until late September / early October to find out, then I'm quite all right with it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hey guys, remember when Cheryl wore the dress and it was the greatest scene in television history.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Can't recall if it's been mentioned here before but KJ Apa really broke his hand punching through that ice and the cast afterwards was real.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Did someone tell him Madelaine Petsch wasn't really drowning?

D-...does he know he's on TV?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Phylodox posted:

The genre twist is Archie is in a Truman Show

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Hey guys, remember when Cheryl wore the dress and it was the greatest scene in television history.

The greatest scene in television history was when Dark Betty appeared. Runner up, the maple tapping ceremony and Cheryl's insane Red Riding Hood Miniskirt getup.

Speaking of, all those other "shareholders" at the maple ceremony...they're totally part of the international heroin smuggling ring, right?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Sometimes you just get a little too method. It was probably a situation where he thought "oh, I don't mind loving up my hand a little to make the shot look good" and didn't realize until afterwards that he hosed up his hand a LOT. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

Fun fact; since tv episodes are filmed out of order, there are a couple of scenes that take place chronologically before the ice breaking but were filmed after the hand-breaking where they had to awkwardly hide KJ Apa's cast by draping his jacket over his arm.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Plus visually that was sick seeing the blood pool around the top with Cheryl underneath. Even better knowing it was his real blood!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Snooze Cruise posted:

Kevin's "Yeeeessssss" was the greatest moment.

I wonder if they're really going to tie up Jason's death so neatly. Essentially, his dad died and took the answer to "Why" with him, and left people only with speculation. It's possible something else might be discovered that thickens the plot of the heroin and why his own frigging dad had to kill him.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm sure more will come of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

I'm sure more will come of it.

So the plot threads for season 2 off the bat are;

-Hiram Lodge returns, and all the poo poo he's mixed up with.
-FP Jones in jail and pending charges/conviction.
-Fred getting shot (possibly dead)
-The Blossoms rebuilding their lives.
-Polly's babies.
-Jughead on the Southside, taken in by the Serpents.
-Archie and Veronica exploring their relationship.
-Betty and Jughead testing their relationship.

Then you have the potential continuation of Jason's death, some new characters showing up, plenty of new drama. Yeah, I think they can manage 22 episodes.

• Locked thread