Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think U19 is 12 chapters right now, maybe 13.

And in the presence of a righteous god it won't reach 14.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
magi didn't end this chapter but i like where its going

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

KnY is really great, I've been enjoying it a lot since I caught up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i love those dumb, goofy kids

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
KnY?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Fabricated posted:

It'll be lucky if it makes it to 20 chapters.

'Under 19' most accurate title of the new debut comics.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Kimetsu no Yaiba

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Silento posted:

KnY is really great, I've been enjoying it a lot since I caught up.

I like it even if everyone is kinda forgettable except MC and his sister. The artist improves quite a lot from ch1.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I consider Kimetsu no Yaiba a very solid above average shounen. It's not super amazing or anything, but it's still quite good.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The author has a bad habit of "show, and then also tell in excruciating detail via narrator comments" that seems to get worse as time goes on.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

HenryEx posted:

The author has a bad habit of "show, and then also tell in excruciating detail via narrator comments" that seems to get worse as time goes on.
Yeah, there's a lot of narration at times.

The characters are pretty funny though. Also some of the demon powers are pretty cool; there's a surprising amount of badguys who can warp space and time. If it ever gets an anime the fight with the demon who uses a set of drums to turn a mansion into a shifting maze and can flip the gravity every which way could be wild.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dr. stowns http://readms.net/r/dr_stone/010/4237/1

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
dr stone fuckin rules

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Senkuus dad
The True hero of Dr. Stone

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Can't believe they ended Dr. Stone. Dang

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Has Dr. Stone been doing well in the rankings? Because it's seriously one of my favorite manga going on right now.

Also Senku's dad, drat, what a hero.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
hey that was actually a pretty touching chapter

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Senku's dad for dad of the year 2017.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that was a subtle way to demonstrate that no, not every adult is lovely without the two of them actually having such a stupid argument.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just started Dr. Stone. This story needs to end up with the two main characters becoming gay and falling in love in a world without any women.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

This story needs to end up with the two main characters becoming gay and falling in love in a world without any women.

This would improve endless shonen series if this theme were implemented but Japan.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

idk why I'm still reading this robot laserbeam thing because it's not great

now there are golf delinquents harassing a caddy and the protagonist is gonna fight them in golf and the concept of gold delinquents is at least amusing to me

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Having now caught up with Dr Stone, I now regret starting it. Well, depending on the next chapter I guess. But ugh. I don't want anything bad to happen. :(

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there was a lady who saw the smoke signal. they aren't gonna start a story about two best buds and then kill the one who drives the plot 10 chapters in.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Tsukasa may be at the absolute limit of human physical ability, but there's no way he can win a fight against those cool platform heels.

Unless she's already here and somehow made Tsukasa pull the punch at the last moment, my best guess is she's a medic and Senkuu will be spending an arc in a neck brace.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Senku is gonna get Hawking'd isnt he

Also bad anarcho primitivist
Using anatomy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I find it funny how they're trying to portray Tsukasa as being morally ambiguous, when he is pretty much straight up evil no matter how you look at it.

Like poo poo dude, it's a big world, I'm sure you can find some random place that will be untouched by Senkuu and company's burgeoning civilization, since it will clearly take many decades to un-stone and redevelop the rest of the world.

Regarding the recent chapter, I'm wondering if Senkuu may have anticipated where Tsukasa would strike him and purposed mentioned the "please make it painless" thing to make Tsukasa strike him in that specific place. Though I'm not sure how he could really protect himself giving that knowledge.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I find it funny how they're trying to portray Tsukasa as being morally ambiguous, when he is pretty much straight up evil no matter how you look at it.

Are they? He comes off as a pretty straightforward philosophical anime manga villain to me.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The only reason he gets to half assedly philosophize and get away with it is because the protags cant actually beat him (yet).
I expect senkuu to lay a verbal beatdown when he does get the power to anyways.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
best manga dad in dr stone

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

New Promised Neverland is out.

It's mostly just set-up but i'm glad they're getting straight into the next arc right after the escape. I've loved the series up until this point but now it needs to show it can stay good outside of the initial premise. I'm pretty confident though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They've wandered into ninja territory and now they're going to learn their techniques so it can finally become a battle manga.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sindai posted:

They've wandered into ninja territory and now they're going to learn their techniques so it can finally become a battle manga.

I hope not because there's too many battle manga series out.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Alder posted:

I hope not because there's too many battle manga series out.

You do know you're talking about Jump, right?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Isn't one of the reasons series turn into battle mangas is because their ratings fail and the editor demands quick fixes, one of which is usually 'more battles'? I vaguely remember this was what happened to Medaka Box? It isn't as if Jump is strictly opposed to non-fighting or more complex manga if they sell well, and direct combat isn't the only kind of conflict kids will read.

I can see Promised Neverland turning more into a 'battle' manga as the kids have to outsmart, sneak and plan their way through hostile territory with extremely limited equipment and incredibly malicious opposition, but turning it into a straight-up fisticuffs comic feels impossible given the setup and characters involved.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno why they do that with failing manga. it never works.

also, i dunno what the problem is with brilliant children who had to get through dangerous situations with their wits encountering an unknown threat that they have to figure out (with their wits). the farm served as a buffer against all the weirdness of a world apparently ruled by enormous demons.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Eh it works when done well.

Medaka got waaay better when it raised the stakes. Because it was able to keep its self awareness and be fun while doing it.

Reborn also did a good job at the conversion, even though the manga fell apart when the future arc kept dragging. And then the Shinon arc was trash. Though the final arc got closer to what I liked about the series. But Murkuro arc and Vongola Rings arcs were good

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Medaka ruled when they let it off the leash.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Pierson posted:

Medaka ruled when they let it off the leash.

Yeah it's like the best example of the switch to being a jump battle manga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What else has successfully changed gears like that (in either direction) besides Medaka Box? Apparently Ken Akamatsu always wanted Negi to be a battle manga but was forced to start as pervy school hijinks and he switched it gradually enough either his editors didn't notice until it was too late or he brought them around to his side. Not that the pervy school hijinks ever ended they just became a backdrop and running gag to a space-magic adventure.