Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
UmOk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even disco may come back to life.

https://youtu.be/bOp04pxm7ro

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Gosh if only people had gone to stores 5 years ago when The Clone Wars was airing. The amount of prequel themed merch meant they were good movies back then but alas

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jewmanji posted:

They are too useful. They were made to suffer.

C-3PO literally was!

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

El Burbo posted:

Gosh if only people had gone to stores 5 years ago when The Clone Wars was airing. The amount of prequel themed merch meant they were good movies back then but alas

you ever wonder why disney pulled clone wars from the air almost instantly in favor of the same show but not set in the prequels

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tezzora posted:

for my money i thought it was how you all continue to allow supermechagodzilla to post without beating him half to death with towels full of soap every time he tries to argue that Get Out is about illegal immigration or whatever the gently caress

Of all the movies you're going to accuse SMG of reading too much into, you pick Get Out. Odd choice.

Tezzora posted:

you ever wonder why disney pulled clone wars from the air almost instantly in favor of the same show but not set in the prequels

If by 'almost instantly' you mean a full year and a half after they bought the rights, then I can only imagine their motives.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tezzora posted:

Probably the same reason they made their own Spider-Man and Avengers cartoons to replace Spectacular and Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

Of all the movies you're going to accuse SMG of reading too much into, you pick Get Out. Odd choice.

If by 'almost instantly' you mean a full year and a half after they bought the rights, then I can only imagine their motives.

jesus christ

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Tezzora posted:

Possibly because the Clone Wars was massively expensive because it was one of the best looking CG cartoons ever. Rebels in comparison is visually poorer. Or maybe it was licensing issues between Disney and Cartoon Network's parent Time Warner. Perhaps the war theme was too dark for Disney's demographic target. Maybe they wanted something that was completely associated with their brand. I don't know, but it's certainly not because the show was unpopular, if that's what your implying.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tezzora posted:

jesus christ

I'm wondering what your non response is in non response to.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Tezzora posted:

Probably because Clone Wars had a bunch of Lucas's own money funding it and was stupid expensive to make compared to Rebels.
^yeah what that guy said
Also Rebels has Clone Wars characters popping in and out all the time so i don't know how much they're worried about prequel vs ot stuff.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

I'm wondering what your non response is in non response to.

your delusional stupidity, mostly, but also my surprise at its depth. why?

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pops Mgee posted:

Probably because Clone Wars had a bunch of Lucas's own money funding it and was stupid expensive to make compared to Rebels.
^yeah what that guy said
Also Rebels has Clone Wars characters popping in and out all the time so i don't know how much they're worried about prequel vs ot stuff.

if the prequels were really very popular and marketable, then why was their cartoon unprofitable without the frogman bailing them out. a high budget? this is the world's most valuable IP. surely if this was a juggernaut belying its total lack of presence in the mainstream world, they could have produced a cartoon that looked good and didn't need subsidy

Tezzora fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 13, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Tezzora posted:

your delusional stupidity, mostly, but also my surprise at its depth. why?

"On October 30, 2012, Disney announced a deal to acquire Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion"

"Star Wars - The Clone Wars, Original Run: October 3, 2008 – March 7, 2014"

The show had an entire season made and aired after the deal, premiering a full 18 months after the company changed ownership.

Is it stupidity when you can read a calendar? What's it called when you can't read one? And call '18 months later' 'almost instantly'

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 13, 2017

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Tezzora posted:

if the prequels were really very popular and marketable, then why was their cartoon unprofitable without the frogman bailing them out. a high budget? this is the world's most valuable IP. surely if this was a juggernaut belying its total lack of presence in the mainstream world, they could have produced a cartoon that looked good and didn't need subsidy

By this same reasoning, why does Rebels look like poo poo?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tezzora posted:

If the Star Wars movies are so popular, why isn't The Last Jedi budgeted at 600 million dollars?

El Burbo posted:

Possibly because the Clone Wars was massively expensive because it was one of the best looking CG cartoons ever. Rebels in comparison is visually poorer. Or maybe it was licensing issues between Disney and Cartoon Network's parent Time Warner. Perhaps the war theme was too dark for Disney's demographic target. Maybe they wanted something that was completely associated with their brand. I don't know, but it's certainly not because the show was unpopular, if that's what your implying.

Rebels did start out light, but they were not above showing stormtroopers getting thrown off cliffs and Kanan finding the corpse of his master even in the early episodes.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tezzora posted:

It's my understanding that the Clone Wars cartoon was quite profitable.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The run that Clone Wars had was actually pretty good by the standards of a children's cartoon. Places like Cartoon Network and Disney XD and whatever see 65 episodes or so as the magic number for half hour shows- at that number you can run the show for 5 days a week in 13 week blocks. Beyond that it can be hard to get them to sign on because costs go up and they've already got enough. Clone Wars has, according to IMDB, 129 episodes. That's a lot. Adventure Time has 270, but it's a 15-minute show so that's more like 135; Regular Show has 245, again, half that is 122.5.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

The run that Clone Wars had was actually pretty good by the standards of a children's cartoon. Places like Cartoon Network and Disney XD and whatever see 65 episodes or so as the magic number for half hour shows- at that number you can run the show for 5 days a week in 13 week blocks. Beyond that it can be hard to get them to sign on because costs go up and they've already got enough. Clone Wars has, according to IMDB, 129 episodes. That's a lot. Adventure Time has 270, but it's a 15-minute show so that's more like 135; Regular Show has 245, again, half that is 122.5.

Also, given what Adventure Time is doing, and has been doing for the last few seasons, it's hard to imagine it's a kids show these days.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Clone Wars is amazing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

You think a movie being unpopular is gonna make me stop defending it?

You don't know me very well.

I open palm slam that poo poo into the vhs

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Schwarzwald posted:

It's my understanding that the Clone Wars cartoon was quite profitable.

Can we get a consensus on what the truth is here? Was it heavily subsidized by Lucas or not

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tezzora posted:

Can we get a consensus on what the truth is here? Was it heavily subsidized by Lucas or not

Lucas invested more than would be called for for such a project because he really believed in it, the show was as far as Im aware successful but assuming they spent loss money it could likely have been more profitable.

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

"On October 30, 2012, Disney announced a deal to acquire Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion"

"Star Wars - The Clone Wars, Original Run: October 3, 2008 – March 7, 2014"

The show had an entire season made and aired after the deal, premiering a full 18 months after the company changed ownership.

Is it stupidity when you can read a calendar? What's it called when you can't read one? And call '18 months later' 'almost instantly'

presumably that season was already budgeted for (or even paid for) and well into production by the time the deal occurred, so there was no particular good reason to not broadcast those episodes. they still chose to cancel making new episodes the first chance they got. also, the show was allegedly profitable and not particularly bad or embarrassing on its own merits, unlike the planned but shitcanned 2nd and 3rd prequel 3D re-releases, or the also-already-produced multiple episodes of Star Wars Detours they are sitting on like The Day The Clown Cried

Tezzora fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 13, 2017

Tezzora
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
again: none of this means in itself the films are bad. they are, but that isn't the point. the point that you are deluding yourselves when you claim that you have the Silent Majority behind you. you don't. these films are a punchline in meatspace. they're the junk bonds that disney had to buy as a condition of the bailout. disney still paid money for them and some of their less loathsome aspects like Darth MaulTM and Young Obi-WanTM still have some marketability in marginal products explicitly for children and fanboys like the comic books and cartoon so they won't dispense with them entirely, but the fact that their existence in the vast merchandising arena has effectively ceased to exist and their presence in the films has been reduced to plausible deniability cameos to placate a small weirdo demographic is not a coincidence

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tezzora posted:

again: none of this means in itself the films are bad. they are, but that isn't the point. the point that you are deluding yourselves when you claim that you have the Silent Majority behind you. you don't. these films are a punchline in meatspace. they're the junk bonds that disney had to buy as a condition of the bailout. disney still paid money for them and some of their less loathsome aspects like Darth MaulTM and Young Obi-WanTM still have some marketability in marginal products explicitly for children and fanboys like the comic books and cartoon so they won't dispense with them entirely, but the fact that their existence in the vast merchandising arena has effectively ceased to exist and their presence in the films has been reduced to plausible deniability cameos to placate a small weirdo demographic is not a coincidence

I don't know about "the silent majority," but the seven season long spin off cartoon which, the sequel cartoon that spun off from that, and the toys which are still produced to this day, certainly support the notion that the prequels were and continue to be a highly popular and profitable series, especially with children.

You are right that none of this says anything about the quality of the films.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Tezzora posted:

What you call the Silent Majority argument (I'd call it the Kids Are Alright [With the Prequels] argument) is mostly a counterpoint to the Everybody Knows the Prequels Suck argument, though.

You're correct that Disney bought a brand whose value is independent of the quality of the three prequel films, but your mistake is thinking that prequel toys, etc, are ancillary to the real purchase. The idea that "their existence in the vast merchandising arena has effectively ceased to exist" is precisely the opposite of true. Marvel, for example, launched a Darth Maul comic line earlier this year. The character also appears in the Rebels TV show, as well as in Star Wars themed Lego sets and video games, and has the potential to drives sales in multiple related markets. From Disney's perspective, Star Wars is a collection of interconnected intellectual properties such as "Darth Maul," "Obi-wan Kenobi," "The Force," etc, with established intergenerational market penetration.

If you were a Disney executive, you would pay a high price for your lack of vision!

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 13, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Before Episode I was released Lucas/etc. were already well aware that they created an entire new generation's worth of potential merchandising/toys/spin off shows/etc. Even Darth Maul's role being so small and his "definitive" death was a decision made later in the production because they fell in love with Maul. They realized they made a dude so perfect and awesome looking that they felt he would overshadow Anakin/etc. as the most popular characters so they killed him off. Once the CG show was underway and established and very popular of course they brought him back.

The prequels suck and the prequel characters/setting/events suck are not mutually exclusive. When I worked in retail still I'd encounter tons of kids who weren't crazy about the prequel movies themselves but thought Clone Wars/individual characters from the prequels were awesome and would get all the toys and video games and were super into the Clone Wars shows and so on. That's not unusual. Star Wars merchandising of stuff from that point in the setting has always been strong and never went away.

This was years before Disney bought Star Wars, and as a franchise it was already excelling at selling characters first and foremost, now with Disney of all companies in charge it'd be naive to think that's going to change.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm stuck at home sick today, so I decided since I already feel like poo poo, I might as well watch the prequels since I never actually watched them back to back to back

Holy poo poo, attack of the clones is so much worse than Phantom Menace. I mean, PM isn't great, but it has a couple great set pieces in the pod racing and Darth Maul fight. Its not great, and it definitely suffers from having too much JarJar and young Anakin, but I can watch that movie and see how it could have been good.

Attack of the Clones is just sooo bad. It drags on and on, with so little energy. Not to mention that this one relies far, far more on dramatic scenes, so the bad writing becomes even more of an issue. I'm halfway through it, and I'm struggling to not constantly fast forward through all of the Anakin/Padme scenes.

Atleast I remember that Revenge of the Sith as passable, with some good action scenes, so I have those to look forward to. Though I seem to recall, they're all stacked towards the end

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 13, 2017

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Tezzora posted:

christ this is cult thinking. you're not obligated to like something because it's in a movie with the right brand logo

When you build your house of truth on the unstable ground of likeability, it makes it impossible to recognize misperception. The purpose of learning why someone else likes something you don't is an attempt to acquire new information (To learn more about the object as well as yourself). Whether that information actually leads to changes in likeability is utterly irrelevant.

Your belief that this is "cult thinking" betrays the fact that all you care about is the immediacy of subjectivity (Or more specifically anyone's subjectivity that already aligns with yours).

"I really really dislike waiting until Christmas morning to open presents, but I really really like opening presents." This line of thinking leads you unable to recognize that removing the Christmas morning wait would actually reduce the likeability of opening presents.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 13, 2017

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
I think the prequel films are merely ok. They are very flawed, but also took some really cool risks (e.g. -with the idea that the Jedi are corrupt and bad) and played with expectations very well.

I don't understand why people liking movies offends other people so much.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't even think they're all that flawed . I guess it depends whose perspective or what standards you are using .

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I don't know, I'm watching the second movie right now, and we finally got to the first scene I considering compelling (Obi-Wan and Dooku meeting), and its a loving hour and a half into the movie. Like, if that had been the actual focus of the movie, it could have been good, but that would require cutting out so much other poo poo that it would be an entirely different movie.

Like Phantom Menace could have been good with some better dialog and a harsher editor, but I just see no way to salvage AotC without rewriting the whole thing from scratch. The plot feels fundamentally flawed, with useless scene after useless scene. If it had been Obi-wan and Anakin playing detectives and investigating the rumors of corruption and sith at the heart of the republic it would have been a much better movie.

Though I guess that would just be the Revenge of the Sith, but with more Christopher Lee, which seems like an excellent idea

Edit: I'm now at the climax of the movie, and the stuff in the arena is just as bad as I remember. The action has so little energy, nothing is really dynamic, everything is just 1 v 1, with slow aliens that dont feel like a real threat. Like the scene gets better when it just turns into a giant clusterfuck of everything, but it still manages to feel less interesting than the battle at the end of TPM, probably because that was interspliced with the Darth Maul fight

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 13, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The prequels are extremely bad, but the legos that the prequels made are extremely good, so thanks for those Lucas.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

RBA Starblade posted:

The prequels are extremely bad, but the legos that the prequels made are extremely good, so thanks for those Lucas.

This post is extremely my poo poo. I got the pod racing set once as a birthday present, and it was amazing. Such cool models, and when I did get bored, they had tons of cool unique pieces.

Also, I'm 5 minutes into RotS and it's amazing how much better it looks and how much better the acting is (so far, I recall that it dips in the middle)

Edit: I'm further in and I cant believe this was written and directed by the same guy as AotC. Like, its not perfect, but it is very competently put together, it maintains a good flow of action, the dialog works so much better, the actors actually have chemistry. I'm saying all of this and I still havent even hit the parts I remember liking the most

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 13, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Glumslinger posted:

This post is extremely my poo poo. I got the pod racing set once as a birthday present, and it was amazing. Such cool models, and when I did get bored, they had tons of cool unique pieces.

The big brown tank thing and the clone trooper transports were pretty great too.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
How about Lego Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures? Where does that rank for y'all?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

I don't know, I'm watching the second movie right now, and we finally got to the first scene I considering compelling (Obi-Wan and Dooku meeting), and its a loving hour and a half into the movie. Like, if that had been the actual focus of the movie, it could have been good, but that would require cutting out so much other poo poo that it would be an entirely different movie.

Like Phantom Menace could have been good with some better dialog and a harsher editor, but I just see no way to salvage AotC without rewriting the whole thing from scratch. The plot feels fundamentally flawed, with useless scene after useless scene. If it had been Obi-wan and Anakin playing Woodward and Bernstein and investigating the rumors of corruption and sith at the heart of the republic it would have been a much better movie.

Though I guess that would just be the Revenge of the Sith, but with more Christopher Lee, which seems like an excellent idea

Edit: I'm now at the climax of the movie, and the stuff in the arena is just as bad as I remember. The action has so little energy, nothing is really dynamic, everything is just 1 v 1, with slow aliens that dont feel like a real threat. Like the scene gets better when it just turns into a giant clusterfuck of everything, but it still manages to feel less interesting than the battle at the end of TPM, probably because that was interspliced with the Darth Maul fight

I'll say this much: Attack of the Clones is probably my least favorite of the three, but it's the one that I think about most often. Clumsy or bloated as it may be, Lucas packed a lot of interesting ideas into it. It really is the heart of the trilogy.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
E:^ yes this is the crux of it

Who posted the sexual subtext of the gladiator games in episode 2?

That poo poo was compelling to read and has completely colored my subsequent readings of the film, extending the metaphor back (obi wan's inherent asexuality as a foil for the cloning on Kamino, etc)

Really makes the film a lot more watchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I can't really figure out why the giant harvester columns in Kamino look just like the generators inside the heart of Theed, but it's interesting to think about.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 13, 2017

• Locked thread