Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Work Friend Keven posted:

Hey all, question: I picked this up and have been playing some but I'm having an error: the game crashes after I beat it. My understanding is they added a ng+ type option where it starts you over in basement 1 after a win... is this a common problem? Does anyone know the fix.

It'll only let you do the "victory lap" after beating the Lamb (Sheol/Dark Room run). If you went the heaven route, you don't get the new game plus. That said, I don't know what could be causing your error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Hey all, question: I picked this up and have been playing some but I'm having an error: the game crashes after I beat it. My understanding is they added a ng+ type option where it starts you over in basement 1 after a win... is this a common problem? Does anyone know the fix.
The game will give you the option to start the "victory lap" round (from Basement 1 again with most of your items), after you've beaten the Lamb (in the Dark room). You can select "No" when the game asks you to make the choice.
So, it won't automatically load up an "ng+" game, so your crashing issue must have another cause. I can't help either though, since it doesn't crash for me.

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

check the logfile at Documents\My Games\Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+\log.txt

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
Funny how the rerun isn't shown. No continue or anything. In other news I think it broke my greed run because I don't have the option to do greedier runs anymore lol.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Huh I did the lamb to try it & victory lap doesnt crash me, just completing a run. Weird.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

IUG posted:

I noticed this topic has really slowed down lately. Is anyone else like me, just utterly burned out on this game? I'm finally trying to tackle other parts of my Steam Library I've ignored (Shovel Knight, for one).

From a few days ago, but yeah that's kinda where I am. Nuclear Throne and Binding of Isaac have been my go to podcast games for a while. I used to play mostly Isaac and not much of Nuclear Throne, but it's pretty much the complete opposite now.

I dunno, I just have more fun in Nuclear Throne quickly getting more and more powerful until I ascend into godhood and proceed to get killed by my own hubris, I guess. Playing Isaac right now just feels like I have to do all this work so the game's pace doesn't leave me behind.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 7, 2017

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
The Switch still has the glitch where you can't unlock Challenge 11 because it doesn't treat Lokii kills properly so even though I've got full completion marks on every character I'm stuck waiting for a patch so I can finish the final unlocks.

It also crashes 95% of the time when accessing the daily run leaderboards and I noticed quite a few unlock notices never popped for things like the card for Five Nights at Mom's so you have to go into the unlocks and scroll around to see if the game just forgot to notify you that you satisfied the unlock conditions.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Holy hell. Finally just beat Ultra Hard after not playing since AB+ launch basically. After many terrible reset runs I started a pyro run. Managed to get some good damage and a Judas' Shadow but like no hearts. I was so desperate for something that I did the loving hush with 2 hearts just for an ipecac/fetus chance. The only thing that saved the run (besides pyro) was a blind buy of a stopwatch that saved my hush kill. Ended up having 2 hearts as I got to the dark room and had to clear it out to get some more life. Finally killed Mega Stan without taking a hit with a big-rear end Tech X and 4 red hearts.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

IUG posted:

I noticed this topic has really slowed down lately. Is anyone else like me, just utterly burned out on this game? I'm finally trying to tackle other parts of my Steam Library I've ignored (Shovel Knight, for one).

It's still in my Podcast Game Rotation, but if I weren't grinding out the final daily challenge achievements (keep loving up on the 5th of the 5-streak one), I probably would retire it. I've certainly gotten my money's worth though, and despite some frustrating challenges the constant allure of new item unlocks was very effective on my caveman brain.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I'm thinking I'll get back to the game if/ when Antibirth is properly added as a mod for its current version.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So are Booster Packs dead already? The first one was actually pretty cool.

Also, somehow I ended up with an instant charge Brimstone earlier. Stats/items:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jibo posted:

So are Booster Packs dead already? The first one was actually pretty cool.

Also, somehow I ended up with an instant charge Brimstone earlier. Stats/items:

The next one is likely coming out today, actually.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

IUG posted:

Grinding attempts to get the Keeper Delirium is straight-up the least fun I've had playing any version of Isaac, moreso than pre-holy mantle Lost unlocks. Like I try a few times, get bored, and then don't open the game again for weeks. This might be the first time I don't 100% an Isaac game.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

I'm having good luck getting delerium on my victory laps so it makes it super easy.

Had a super low damage run last night but I had SMB and about 6 orbitals and gnawed leaf so I literally stood still and afk'd my way through my initial run and the victory lap to delerium.

It took 40 minutes for my 2nd victory lap lol but I was so lazy and watching Netflix while I did it.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Pigbuster posted:

The next one is likely coming out today, actually.

There's a new patch, but nothing in the way of patch notes yet. I'm assuming it's the booster.

Edit: Two observations. One, I got an Arcade on the 2nd floor when I had less than 5 pennies at the start. Two, each wave in the Challenge Rooms charges your active item by one pip, same way the Boss Rush and Greed Mode do.

IMJack fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 13, 2017

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dafuq, that vanity table just appeared at the start of floor 5.

Poking it will reroll Isaac's appearance based on the items you have.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Oh good so I can make sure I'm just the right shade of beautiful hellbeast.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

IMJack posted:

Dafuq, that vanity table just appeared at the start of floor 5.

Poking it will reroll Isaac's appearance based on the items you have.

That's actually pretty cool

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've actually been playing this a bit again lately.... but I've been playing the 3DS version.

Despite the horrible framerate and system-crashing bugs I've actually been enjoying it a lot more than I've enjoyed Afterbirth+. I think I just don't like the way the game has evolved, what with it being more chaotic. It just feels more "unfair" than the old Isaac, and while there are plenty of overpowered items to balance that out I just don't enjoy that kind of RNG gameplay :( The thing I'm missing the most in the 3ds version are the item synergies though, since pretty much all of them were patched in after Rebirth came out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I like the fact that the Switch version unlocks the Afterbirth and Afterbirth+ stuff gradually to raise the difficulty instead of having it immediately unlocked like when it's bought as DLC. If/when I get a Switch I might actually get another copy of this game

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

quote:

6 New Items!

• Technology Zero by Ashkait and Scayze! The dynamic duo returns, with another of their popular mods implemented in game! Similarly to Jacob's Ladder, this item creates electricity which spans between your tears, which can damage enemies. It's rad!
• Jumper Cables by Ashkait and Scayze! Another by the same dudes, this time revolving around their mod of the same name. It's neat! Similarly to the mod it hails from, this item grants you a bar of charge after 15 enemy kills. Neat!
• Coupon by Plumbo! Based on their mod Cereal Cutout, this 6-charge active item buys a random shop item on use while standing in the shop. This also applies in Devil Deals/Black Markets, so it's particularly effective. It also appears to be obtainable from Shopkeepers!
• Moving Box by Tim l'enchanteur! This active item picks up all items and consumables in a room, and plops them down when used again! Curse of the Blind? Want to bring more Chests down to, well, The Chest? This item has got your back!
• Leprosy, inspired by Extreme Ninja Home Makeover, and redesigned by Ed! When you take a hit, you gain a body part as an orbital! These last between floors, but disappear on taking enough damage. Go get wild, yo.
• Telekinesis by Eufuu! This 2 second timed active item stops any fired projectiles on use for 2 seconds—we're in the Matrix now, bois. After this time, these shots will be fired.

A New Trinket!

• Filigree Feather by Edmund! This trinket causes Angel Statues to drop items rather than Key Pieces while held!

Balance Changes

• Better Angel Rooms! New, improved layouts!

Mod Changes

• Mods no longer disable achievements after beating Mom's Heart!
• At least one mod must be enabled for mods to be considered "active"!

Misc Changes

• Active items charge during Challenge Room waves!
• Magic Mirror! This station changes the appearance of your active synergies, to make you more fashionable, yo. It also drops consumables on being bombed!
• Visible Jar of Flies! You can now better see your progress, with little flies being visible in the jar. They're so cute.
• Better bomb synergies! It's much easier to see all of the bomb effects you have active.
• Broken Modem sprite now has an outline. Praise the sun.
• Consuming 3 One Makes You Larger pills will grant the "Stompy" transformation, leaving (visual-only) dust clouds behind Isaac, as well as have a change to leave a circle of spikes (similar to the effect of Wait What?) on taking damage.
API Changes
• Functions dealing with Item Pools! Item Pools can now be edited via Lua!
• Stay tuned! Some new functions were added to the modding API, though the documentation has not yet been updated. Our team of elite nerds is on the case!

Bug Fixes

• Jera breakfasting bug was fixed!
• Angry Fly now counts towards Beelzebub!
• Loki's Horns bug was FINALLY fixed!

Was not expecting mod achievements to be allowed, nice.

Also, the bomb synergy visuals improvement is really nice, your bombs should match exactly what kinda item combo you have now.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 13, 2017

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Jesus. It's time to check out the mods now I guess.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I want to make a mod that disables telepills for the Mom and Womb/Utero II pills. Had an amazing run that gave me all sorts of damage up boosts with Godhead, only for me to accidentally use a ??? Pill that spawned when It Lives died. Triggered the telepill and sent me to the error room. :mad:

This isn't even the first time too.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TopHatGenius posted:

I want to make a mod that disables telepills for the Mom and Womb/Utero II pills. Had an amazing run that gave me all sorts of damage up boosts with Godhead, only for me to accidentally use a ??? Pill that spawned when It Lives died. Triggered the telepill and sent me to the error room. :mad:

This isn't even the first time too.

I forever hate telepills for ruining my Ultra Hard run, as it sent me to a Error Room on the floor you fight Mom, so I had no negative to finish it.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Your Computer posted:

Despite the horrible framerate and system-crashing bugs I've actually been enjoying it a lot more than I've enjoyed Afterbirth+. I think I just don't like the way the game has evolved, what with it being more chaotic.

I haven't played Isaac in over a year and already sort of felt this way about Afterbirth. I think it became too big for me, there was just too much stuff in it that it threatened to collapse under its own weight. I actually feel a little nostalgic for flash Isaac since it was smaller and more intimate and everything felt more thematically cohesive. (Not enough to go back and play it, mind.)

If I ever go back to this game I might uninstall Afterbirth and just play standard Rebirth. But I'm much more looking forward to Edmund's new games.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Glare Seethe posted:

I haven't played Isaac in over a year and already sort of felt this way about Afterbirth. I think it became too big for me, there was just too much stuff in it that it threatened to collapse under its own weight. I actually feel a little nostalgic for flash Isaac since it was smaller and more intimate and everything felt more thematically cohesive. (Not enough to go back and play it, mind.)

If I ever go back to this game I might uninstall Afterbirth and just play standard Rebirth. But I'm much more looking forward to Edmund's new games.

Yeah, it definitely started showing in Afterbirth. I put something crazy like 1000+ hours into flash BoI and a similar amount in the remake but every expansion has just made the game less fun for me. I booted it up earlier to see if anything had changed since I last played and my second floor boss was two Monstros in a tiny room. Quite a "oh right, this is why I stopped playing" moment. I'm not saying that Afterbirth(+) is a bad game mind you, it just isn't my kinda game anymore (and Ed's vision for the game clearly isn't what I thought it was originally) :shobon:

Ironically, I wonder if the limitations of the lovely code (and flash in general) made the original game into what I enjoyed so much.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Your Computer posted:

(and Ed's vision for the game clearly isn't what I thought it was originally)

The funny thing is that I think Isaac as it is now doesn't even represent Ed's vision necessarily. From reading some of his tweets and blogs about the game it really seems like it got away from him once it blew up in popularity and what the community wanted wasn't what he wanted. I mean just reading this thread shows that conflict. I guess it's only recently that he's sort of been able to let go of his own vision for the game and roll with the community (at least that's my impression - as I said I haven't played it in a year).

Flash Isaac (or vanilla Rebirth) was definitely a tighter game. It's obviously the items that primarily make the game so I understand the inclination to add more of them, but it just became too unwieldy for me.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

The new mirror makes the assbackwards challenge fairly easy, since you know where you are aiming for.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
The update charges your item at the end of each wave of newly spawned monsters. The Boss Rush charges your item at the beginning of each wave. You fully recharge a 6-room item twice in 3 waves of Boss Rush. I need to see if it does this with Greed Mode as well.

Also, the Filligree Feather trinket will let you hunt down those Angel Room items that never loving spawn. Every angel killed drops an Angel Room item.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Finally got 1000000% just because of the new angel room changes. Seems like I've been after that delirium item forever... :agesilaus:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I threw together a mod that makes everyone start with Eden's Blessing (in addition to what they start with by default) and uploaded it to the workshop.

If anyone's interested it's Forever Blessed and currently it's at the top of the Newest list.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

It's going to take me a while to internalize that angel rooms are great now and crown of light, godhead, and sacred heart will actually exist and possibly carry runs.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Jibo posted:

I threw together a mod that makes everyone start with Eden's Blessing (in addition to what they start with by default) and uploaded it to the workshop.

If anyone's interested it's Forever Blessed and currently it's at the top of the Newest list.

It looks like this only works if you actually have Eden's Blessing unlocked. That's unfortunate because I am bad at this game but I guess I have a goal now

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I know interest in this game has finally slowed down after a million years, but I just got around to it (vanilla Rebirth) over the weekend. My first kill of Isaac was as Beelzebub with the smallest possible anti gravity tears and a bomb-fly friend doing the majority of the damage.

Been thinking about getting Afterbirth because the daily challenges sound fun, but am hesitant, since I'm really still just starting, given the concerns about the way the content is paced. Should I wait until I've come close to completing everything in Rebirth first, or is there a point in between now and then that would make sense?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Stagger_Lee posted:

I know interest in this game has finally slowed down after a million years, but I just got around to it (vanilla Rebirth) over the weekend. My first kill of Isaac was as Beelzebub with the smallest possible anti gravity tears and a bomb-fly friend doing the majority of the damage.

Been thinking about getting Afterbirth because the daily challenges sound fun, but am hesitant, since I'm really still just starting, given the concerns about the way the content is paced. Should I wait until I've come close to completing everything in Rebirth first, or is there a point in between now and then that would make sense?

I would at the very least get all of Judas' and Azazel's unlocks, do challenge 17 & 18 for Deaths touch and Tech.5. Also donate 600 coins to unlock the lvl. 3 store.
The new afterbirth(+) enemies and bosses have more hp than vanilla Rebirth, so having more damage right from the beginning is helpful.

Completing Greed Mode with Azazel right after buying Afterbirth unlocks Lilith, all her unlocks are extremely useful and will keep you alive.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

This was in cathedral from spike room where I also finally got Swallowed Penny. That's the last completion mark done (Delirium, got the portal after Isaac).

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I returned the game
By Tina
from Pittsburgh PA

"The outer cover does not look as disturbing as the game is, a boys mother is told by God that she has to kill him and she is trying to murder her own son. My son was so upset we had to take the game back...

BOTTOM LINE No, I would not recommend this to a friend"

1 out of 5 stars

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Technology Zero with the Dunce Cap is SO GOOD.

Does the Switch version let you restart by holding down a button? That's the only way I can play Greed mode.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Lowen SoDium posted:

I returned the game
By Tina
from Pittsburgh PA

"The outer cover does not look as disturbing as the game is, a boys mother is told by God that she has to kill him and she is trying to murder her own son. My son was so upset we had to take the game back...

BOTTOM LINE No, I would not recommend this to a friend"

1 out of 5 stars

This is why parents should at least read the box before buying stuff. People are dumb.

Speaking of dumb people I am still waiting for afterbirth plus for PS4 while I try to beat mega satan with the keeper and the lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Schremp Howard posted:

This is why parents should at least read the box before buying stuff. People are dumb.

Speaking of dumb people I am still waiting for afterbirth plus for PS4 while I try to beat mega satan with the keeper and the lost.

With magic google machines in everyone's pockets this kinda poo poo shouldn't happen anymore.