Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh wow that's a lot more interesting than I thought from reviews, but I guess they couldn't spoil it. I'll still wait until I can watch it for free though.

I knew it was not a direct adaptation though (which is good), only that it had scenes from the old movie haphazardly crammed in anyway.

Interesting twist that could've been good, but was seriously mishandled. (major spoilers, obviously)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

eviltastic posted:

Interesting twist that could've been good, but was seriously mishandled. (major spoilers, obviously)

Wow yeah that's pretty damning, besides being incoherent they didn't know or care about some completely basic things about Japanese culture right when it counted most.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Man, y'all are really over-analyzing this. It's a Hollywood movie, when this project first started coming together some studio executive said this needs a recognizable Hollywood star and everything else is just working around that. That executive had no objective other than profit, having someone like Scarlett Johansson as the lead will drag more butts into theater seats. Whatever creative decisions were made around the character are utterly secondary.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Rebel Blob posted:

Man, y'all are really over-analyzing this. It's a Hollywood movie, when this project first started coming together some studio executive said this needs a recognizable Hollywood star and everything else is just working around that. That executive had no objective other than profit, having someone like Scarlett Johansson as the lead will drag more butts into theater seats. Whatever creative decisions were made around the character are utterly secondary.

I dunno that interview above makes a good point that these days if you really just care about profit you'd make the lead chinese for that sweet sweet chinese market dosh.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm not a fatalist about characters in action movies either, it is totally possible to make them relatable and internally consistent. Those are the only kind of action movies I want to watch.

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

I dunno that interview above makes a good point that these days if you really just care about profit you'd make the lead chinese for that sweet sweet chinese market dosh.

Yeah, but since when has Hollywood ever (successfully) directly aimed at the Chinese market? That would require a willingness to take risks and try new things, neither of which align too well with remaking a classic anime franchise but in live action.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Chip Bok posted:

Let’s recap:

Comey went public with Hillary’s email server crimes.

And Republicans loved it.

But he said she lacked intent and couldn’t be prosecuted.

And Democrats loved it.

But then he said someone sent classified documents to pervert Carlos Danger’s laptop.

And Republicans loved it.

But then he said, “Never mind.”

And Hillary blamed him for losing the election.

And Comey became mildly nauseous.

Then Trump fired him.

That somehow outraged Democrats. They called it the Tuesday Night Massacre. Like the Saturday Night Massacre of Watergate lore.

They said Trump is Nixonian. Nixon, through Henry Kissinger, had Detente with Russia. Democrats say Trump had collusion with Russia.

And then Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and ambassador Sergey Kislyak showed up at the White House.

And then Henry Kissinger showed up at the White House…

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Rebel Blob posted:

Man, y'all are really over-analyzing this.

The thread has been clinging to things a lot lately. When that happens, it's best to throw a lot of politoons at the problem.

All hail president cookie!

What, me warming?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Another stinker from JR Rose, gently caress his cutesy grandpa bullshit

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Rebel Blob posted:

Alternatively, GITS is already one of the better known series out there and the movie could've been a starmaker for some asian actress. Instead they alienated a huge chunk of the people who were most likely to go see the movie.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Kit Walker posted:

Alternatively, GITS is already one of the better known series out there and the movie could've been a starmaker for some asian actress. Instead they alienated a huge chunk of the people who were most likely to go see the movie.

If I remember who they cast to play her in the flashbacks later in the movie I'm pretty sure they basically cast the person they probably would have cast for the role overall if things had been different.

I'll admit to actually liking the movie while also noting that I like a lot of things that are objectively poo poo.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 13, 2017

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Fates End posted:

Yeah, but since when has Hollywood ever (successfully) directly aimed at the Chinese market? That would require a willingness to take risks and try new things, neither of which align too well with remaking a classic anime franchise but in live action.

Pacific Rim was Warner's most successful movie in China ever.

E: If Hollywood didn't have a long and storied history of casting white actors to play non-white characters then no one would care about Ghost in the Shell. Unfortunately, that's not the case, Hollywood is racist as hell and Ghost in the Shell is just another lovely movie to toss on the whitewashed pile.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 13, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also I didn't realize the first GiTS movie was considered a classic but basically every movie has described it that way. It doesn't even have a remastered version far as I know. I watched it on Amazon here a bit ago to remember what it was like and it was basically the same quality as the VHS tape I had when I was in high school.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 13, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KillerJunglist posted:

The thread has been clinging to things a lot lately. When that happens, it's best to throw a lot of politoons at the problem.

How much of a hateful rear end in a top hat do you have to be for this to pop in your brain as you think up your yearly vapid holiday cartoon.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also I didn't realize the first GiTS movie was considered a classic but basically every movie has described it that way. It doesn't even have a remastered version as far as I know. I watched it a bit ago to remember what it was like and it was basically the same quality as the VHS tape I had when I was in high school.

There was a remastering in 2008 called GitS 2.0 and a new blu ray remaster in 2014.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Improbable Lobster posted:

There was a remastering in 2008 called GitS 2.0 and a new blu ray remaster in 2014.
Oh yeah, forgot about that POS 2008 version.

edit: oh huh, there is a bluray version in Japan that came out just last month. Reviews make it sound like not very good visual quality though.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 13, 2017

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

For the record, the study being referred to here is bullshit even by nutrition science standards, which are already pretty low.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Discendo Vox posted:

For the record, the study being referred to here is bullshit even by nutrition science standards, which are already pretty low.

That's just what big soda wants you to think. You should drink healthier like Tinsley and intoxicate yourself on a regular basis.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Rebel Blob posted:

That's actually the problem. There *are* no big name leading ladies of Japanese descent (or,uh, "close enough for Hollywood" like Korean or something.) And why is that? Because Hollywood doesn't put forward minority women in "leading lady/man" roles, so they don't get famous enough. Minority actors tend to get stuck in "character" roles. Despite audiences being perfectly fine with Asian stars (remember the "kung fu" craze?)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also I didn't realize the first GiTS movie was considered a classic but basically every movie has described it that way. It doesn't even have a remastered version far as I know. I watched it on Amazon here a bit ago to remember what it was like and it was basically the same quality as the VHS tape I had when I was in high school.

I dont think the original animation cels even exist anymore.
And getting people to redraw all of it would be prohibitively expensive for a remaster.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Samurai Sanders posted:

As a piece of animation it's amazing.

As a narrative trying to explore themes almost every adaptation or remake has done it way better than the original film ever did.

Stand Alone Complex is kind of the only GitS you ever really need to see, unless you really need to see the pretty animation.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SeANMcBAY posted:

How much of a hateful rear end in a top hat do you have to be for this to pop in your brain as you think up your yearly vapid holiday cartoon.
Never mind "just what the gently caress do you think assume refers to?"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
GitS and Innocence are both masterpieces and lean heavy on symbolism, philosophy and atmosphere. Stand Alone Complex, 2nd GIG and Solid State Society are pretty straightforward sci-fi anime, though they do keep some of the less abstract philosophy and diverge in interesting ways from the movie. The Arise OVAs and The New Movie aren't great. They're basically SAC but without any interesting philosophy and some seriously questionable writing. The original manga is pretty bad. It's tonally all over the place and not really worth reading.

The live action film is the 2017 version of the live action Aeon Flux.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Improbable Lobster posted:

GitS and Innocence are both masterpieces and lean heavy on symbolism, philosophy and atmosphere. Stand Alone Complex, 2nd GIG and Solid State Society are pretty straightforward sci-fi anime, though they do keep some of the less abstract philosophy and diverge in interesting ways from the movie. The Arise OVAs and The New Movie aren't great. They're basically SAC but without any interesting philosophy and some seriously questionable writing. The original manga is pretty bad. It's tonally all over the place and not really worth reading.

The live action film is the 2017 version of the live action Aeon Flux.
I agree pretty much, but you forgot the second manga which was made after Shirow went off into art book crazyland never to return (?)

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Bok posted:

Then Trump fired him.

That somehow outraged Democrats. They called it the Tuesday Night Massacre. Like the Saturday Night Massacre of Watergate lore.

Gee, do you think the outrage might have something to do with the fact that Comey was investigating the guy who fired him? That can't be it. You stupid motherfucker.

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

There's something great(?) seeing someone post Chuck Asay cartoons on a Finnish forum and instinctively knowing they must be a goon.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Openly colluding with Russia and being Nixon... is good!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Theresa May and the Labour manifesto – Conservative leader accuses Jeremy Corbyn of ‘deserting proud and patriotic working-class people’"

Telegraph:

Eurovision Song Contest 2017 tonight! :toot:

Independent:

After Rubens.

The i paper:

Corbyn pledges ‘triple commitment’ to ​​defence, development and diplomacy

Times:

Stephen Collins:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Because you've made me call you "mommy" since I was born?

quote:

All hail president cookie!
I assume this is a Macron sounds like Macaroon joke and I just want to say, as a Jew, I experienced some serious culture shock when I learned that's how macaroons actually look and not like this:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Macaroons are those cookies, yes. A macaron is the light airy cookie. And Macron is the French President (Prime Minister?)

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Manuel Calavera posted:

Macaroons are those cookies, yes. A macaron is the light airy cookie. And Macron is the French President (Prime Minister?)

Lord Protector.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
What about Macron 1?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Politoons.jpg

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Trump is drowning.
There is no sign of land.
Dems are going down with them.
Dressed as captain Ahab.

The toon is lies.
It's all lies.

underappreciated Mountain Goats reference, 11/10 would read the whole thing

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Manuel Calavera posted:

I feel like there could be a Paul McCartney joke in this somewhere.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I have cheerled for Republicans for years.
The current president is a Republican and an objectively terrible person and president.
The rest of the Republicans are allowing this.
How can I resolve this cognitive dissonance?

ah.... retreat into fantasy

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Boy is he gonna feel stupid when Hillary doesn't run again. Just kidding, he'll keep pumping out Hunny Bunny comics until the heat death of the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Kit Walker posted:

Boy is he gonna feel stupid when Hillary doesn't run again. Just kidding, he'll keep pumping out Hunny Bunny comics until the heat death of the universe

If it hadn't so badly hosed us, it would be funny how incredibly, searingly mad this one woman made the entire right wing and a good portion of the left as well.

• Locked thread