Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ending spoilers: I was disappointed in the direction of the ending, but for the one that was there, I dug it. I kind of figured what it was when the second half started delving into "what is a person" kind of questioning and how Morgan was essentially a different person each time she had her memories wiped. I was personally hoping it'd all end up in a courtroom and showing the political and ethical ramifications for those kinds of experiments and the Pandora's box it'd open for governments and other corporations to exploit. However, that said, I think the gameplay potential for a sequel is really good. You can have two protagonists or even coop if you wanted. The fate of the real Morgan is ambiguous and I wouldn't be surprised it was her idea to put her own memories and genetic material into a Typhon given that it's mentioned through-out the game that she has a massive ego (so she'd essentially have two of her running around), so her showing up in the beginning of the next game and you choosing to be real Morgan with a human skill tree or Typhon Morgan with the Typhon skill tree seems like it would be really cool. Or if it's coop you and your buddy play as each one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why are these people acting like blowing up the station will stop the Typhon? They were around long before the Soviet space program encountered one and will be around long after Talos 1 is dust. Killing this particular nexus of Typhon activity won't deal with all the ones who have already scattered into other orbits, or the ones who have been floating around the system since before humanity evolved.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Lone Badger posted:

Why are these people acting like blowing up the station will stop the Typhon? They were around long before the Soviet space program encountered one and will be around long after Talos 1 is dust. Killing this particular nexus of Typhon activity won't deal with all the ones who have already scattered into other orbits, or the ones who have been floating around the system since before humanity evolved.

ENDING SPOILERS I bet the actual events were that they really blew up Talos 1 and that actually precipitated the Earth infestation

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

ENDING SPOILERS I bet the actual events were that they really blew up Talos 1 and that actually precipitated the Earth infestation

maybe, if in the original run Alex acted differently and left the station.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

There were a number of books throughout the game that you could find detailing on "Evacuation". It sounded like Earth fought some war before the events of the game. Is this ever explained in detail?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There is some other lore about Russia invading India, I think they may be discussing the same thing

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Ending thoughts:

I actually didn't see the sim twist coming, but I did get a suspicion that you aren't actually morgan or was actually becoming a hybrid typhon/human. I would have liked more detail on what originally happened instead of just "earth is hosed lol". It at least made me think about what happened during the game and what was actually true, which can't be said for most endings these days.

The thing I didn't like was the gameplay leading up to it. Once dahl showed up I stopped having fun. The strength of the game is really the middle section where you have a few powers and are just exploring the station. The combat was serviceable enough, but I had the most fun when I was gloo-gunning my way into things or finding weird solutions to problems. Everything after dahl felt like a complete pace change and it just didn't work like I think they wanted to. I got bored very quickly of stun gunning operators, and eventually started leaving them broken so they wouldn't respawn right away.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

(endgame) The fact that the operators don't go away if you hack Kaspar is dumb. It doesn't seem to actually do anything at all.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Kraftwerk posted:

There were a number of books throughout the game that you could find detailing on "Evacuation". It sounded like Earth fought some war before the events of the game. Is this ever explained in detail?

I don't think there's anything explicit, but Elazar's session with the therapist suggests that it was some massive scientific-industrial accident, from the written accounts it sounds like a mishap with the future tech you see in use, maybe something to do with molecular physics (planes disintegrating, etc). There are some references to a "Transtar North" disaster but it's unclear if it's the same thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Shows how much of a wimp Isaac was, strapped into the machine freaking out as a single needle is lowered into his eye. Morgan looks at the neuromod injector for a second and then sticks it in like it's nothing. Then does it 100 more times.

Doesn't she also use it "wrong"? She stabs her eye with the needles already extended, rather then first bringing the device to her eye and only then pressing the needle release?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's also a huge portrait in one of the offices adjacent to Morgan's that depicts a Transtar facility on (presumably Earth) overrun with greenery and it seems in general disrepair.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Rinkles posted:

Doesn't she also use it "wrong"? She stabs her eye with the needles already extended, rather then first bringing the device to her eye and only then pressing the needle release?

Yes, I think she does.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any functional difference between the Margrave and the Shotgun? Or does it just have gold inlay and the same innards?

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
Another funny thing about the ending the Apex is gigantic and apparently flew through space to get to the station. Why do they think blowing up the station will stop Typhon from getting to earth when the apex could literally just fly there?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So I beat the game while being almost completely human. I put one point into mimic to get access to a few rooms :smith:

The thing that happens about 3/4ths of the way through with Dahl showing up would have sucked a whole lot more if I didn't do the satellite thing beforehand, so I just summoned my extremely large friend in the shuttle bay and atmospheric processing to distract all the goddamn murder drones

Concerning the tracking bracelets that the crew wear. Dahl specifically mentions him closing in on your brother. Does ditching your brother's collar in the rear end end of nowhere have any impact on the quantity of drones you encounter? When I deactivated my collar I also ditched Alex's next to the to the recycler in Deep Storage. After that the only time I really encountered any quantity of the drones were at designated ambush spots or around objectives, the rest were just from the operator dispensers

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

n4 posted:

Another funny thing about the ending the Apex is gigantic and apparently flew through space to get to the station. Why do they think blowing up the station will stop Typhon from getting to earth when the apex could literally just fly there?

Maybe it can't re enter atmosphere?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

n4 posted:

Is it possible to scan the Apex? I only managed to scan the tendrils.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Finished this after 28 hours, really enjoyed it. It had pretty much all my favorite elements from Dishonored and System Shock.

I have a question about one of the lategame sidequests, after Dahl shows up:

You get a sidequest to help a guy whose surname is Glass, who says he's trapped in the trauma center. When you get there it's full of blackbox operators, and his corpse is on the central operating table. To me it seemed like he is always dead no matter what you do, but I swear I hear him calling you when you first enter the room, and the quest text seems to imply you could save him. Was anyone able to do it?

I agree with the sentiment that the gameplay drags a bit towards the end. There's so many of those blackbox enemies, it feels like the only really viable way to fight them is either Electroshock or a lot of disruptor ammo, and it gets very repetitive. Blocking the fabricators to stop more from being made was very fiddly, and it felt like bullshit that stopping Kaspar doesn't neutralize them somehow.

I liked the ending, it was a twist that I didn't see coming. I think the operators are definitely backups of dead people. If the game wanted to imply they were alive it would have been a lot easier to show them observing via a Looking Glass screen or something. I saved everyone and went for maximum empathy, got typhon hand turning human.

Oh and someone was asking about easter eggs on the moon. I definitely saw at one point a grid of lights on the dark side, like there was a big formation of structures. There is also a log somewhere from a shuttle pilot that mentions seeing a mysterious structure, but I don't know if that's meant to be on the moon or some secret listening post in space.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cicadalek posted:

Finished this after 28 hours, really enjoyed it. It had pretty much all my favorite elements from Dishonored and System Shock.

I have a question about one of the lategame sidequests, after Dahl shows up:

You get a sidequest to help a guy whose surname is Glass, who says he's trapped in the trauma center. When you get there it's full of blackbox operators, and his corpse is on the central operating table. To me it seemed like he is always dead no matter what you do, but I swear I hear him calling you when you first enter the room, and the quest text seems to imply you could save him. Was anyone able to do it?

Kill all the operators and shortly afterwards you should get an objective complete ping. Then check the quest log again.

If you've seen it, or it doesn't trigger: They pranked you with a recording. It got me too.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 13, 2017

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

His body had always been there. I investigated despite remembering vaguely that I saw Glass on a death list. Showed me.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there any functional difference between the Margrave and the Shotgun? Or does it just have gold inlay and the same innards?

It just looks cooler.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
For anyone that gives a poo poo, following the patch, IGN updated its review score to an 8/10 (from the previous 4).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The Lone Badger posted:

No :(

Rinkles posted:

For anyone that gives a poo poo, following the patch, IGN updated its review score to an 8/10 (from the previous 4).

Only one point less then DA2 :can:
Stapleton @ IGN can stop being passive aggressive on Twitter now.

At least the higher score might convince more people to buy it. That's good.

I'm going to go back through the thread shortly and answer any questions that got missed, if there are any I can answer.

----

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm just guessing and it could be a plot hole, or it might just buy some time, but perhaps they can't enter atmosphere without burning up.

Mindblast posted:

Im one of the folk with corrupted saves. My Neuromod division was broken and I couldnt do some interesting sidequest things in there as a result. Now December is destroyed because I was forced to move on. I'm not sure if that was the cause of death though. My questions are essentially whether or not I now missed out on some interesting quests, if this changed things down the line and if I am still early enough in the game that a restart is not a bad idea.

Are you on PC? If so try entering the Neuromod division again with the Steam patch applied.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 13, 2017

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

It is possible, it's just an enormous pain in the rear end and not worth it

You instantly die when the scan completes

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bolow posted:

It is possible, it's just an enormous pain in the rear end and not worth it

You instantly die when the scan completes

1. How did you do it?

2. Laaaaaaaaaaaame. It should have at least given something cool.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

1. How did you do it?

2. Laaaaaaaaaaaame. It should have at least given something cool.

Arboretum, the actual main body of it is moving around up there, it's a giant pain in the dick to do it, the scan speed mod helps immensely

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Mimir posted:

Okay I'm done, I've gotta return this Redbox, and I have a few questions . These might've been explained but if so I totally missed it.

- How exactly did the outbreak start this time? Is this spelled out anywhere?

- Where did the fake cook go after I fell for his trap? I couldn't find him.

- How did the fake cook know about the simulation?

- The shuttle leaving the station mentioned seeing both a military vessel (the security guy) and a "large black unidentified object" IIRC - what was that about?

If this got answered already I'm sorry I missed it.

I didn't see any logs relating to how the outbreak started, but I'm guessing a fair amount of it is similar to the simulation.

There is a quest to find the cook. He might only respawn if you do it, I'm not sure. The quest is to find him and take him out, by using the security panel in the volunteer quarters to track him.

No idea how he knew that. Maybe he's paranoid or had been digging into people's emails?

That's interesting about the unidentified object. Maybe someone else will know.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

CJacobs posted:

If you just want a hint: It's closer to where the game started than you might think.

If you want to know the specific spot: It's in the closet right outside the simulation room, the one with the safe, computer, and creepy electroshock chair.

I'm going to punch Alex the moment I see him.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The cook went to the escape pods in the Bridge area where he has a recycler bomb trap to suicide kill you. If you disarm it he dies anyway though

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The cook went to the escape pods in the Bridge area where he has a recycler bomb trap to suicide kill you. If you disarm it he dies anyway though

Ohhhhh what happens if you disarm it?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Ohhhhh what happens if you disarm it?

he just laughs at you for a long time and then drops dead apropos of nothing. I was disappointed I couldn't mind control him.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That's strange though, I'll take it. I kept finding recycler bombs attached to doors. I wonder if taking him out as soon as you see him prevents that.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 13, 2017

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

Bolow posted:

Arboretum, the actual main body of it is moving around up there, it's a giant pain in the dick to do it, the scan speed mod helps immensely

drat. It doesn't even look like there's an achievement for it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don't think there's anything explicit, but Elazar's session with the therapist suggests that it was some massive scientific-industrial accident, from the written accounts it sounds like a mishap with the future tech you see in use, maybe something to do with molecular physics (planes disintegrating, etc). There are some references to a "Transtar North" disaster but it's unclear if it's the same thing.

I probably haven't read all the Evacuation Day memoirs yet but that sounds about right. My own theory was grey goo and nanomachine research would've been banned because of it, which would partly explain Transtar's interest in alien poo poo. However if nanomachines were actually a thing in this setting, they'd probably be loving around with those on Talos-1 too, and I've yet to see any evidence of that.

It's probably better if they keep it a little mysterious.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

My inventory no longer auto stacks spare parts. Anyone else experiencing this? Inv management is a chore at the best of times but it's even more tiresome now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
IDK if people had different experience, but when I took out Dahl and Kaspar, the military operators stopped except for the ones outside the station. Though to be fair I was kind of running away from everything at this point in the game.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Antti posted:

I probably haven't read all the Evacuation Day memoirs yet but that sounds about right. My own theory was grey goo and nanomachine research would've been banned because of it, which would partly explain Transtar's interest in alien poo poo. However if nanomachines were actually a thing in this setting, they'd probably be loving around with those on Talos-1 too, and I've yet to see any evidence of that.

It's probably better if they keep it a little mysterious.

There are three total books, and there's a lot of context clues that pin it down (I think). Here's what I've got: There's a loading screen hint which references the Evacuation as leading to a reform in the usage of recyclers, which implies that it was indeed some kind of grey goo incident. The dog's name in the first book is Aleeza which the author translates to "Joy", google says it could be either Hebrew or Arabic but the Hebrew specifically says Joy. The author mentions compulsory military service and drives a M35 truck in the story. Based on the Hebrew, the conscription, and the M35 (US military model truck), I'm going to say it happened in Israel. I think that Transtar North was a different thing, because that would be a weird name for an Israeli facility, but who knows.

edit: oh and there are bomb shelters in the city, which is another Israeli thing.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 13, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

n4 posted:

Another funny thing about the ending the Apex is gigantic and apparently flew through space to get to the station.

misread Apex as Alex and just about died laughing.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Am I missing the codes or are most safe codes not in the same area? There are like 4 in Hardware Labs that I couldn't find the code for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i mean, the hack skill has to be useful for something