Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

veedubfreak posted:

So when can I play beta, god damnit.

June 1, supposedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
GOG has a teaser article up claiming that they'll have it 'soon.'

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Are the Clan mechs going to go back to being much stronger than IS since the quirks are being wiped and everyone gets to pick their skills now? Since part of the reason they're even somewhat balanced is because of all the structure and weapon quirks they gave the IS.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

The Saddest Robot posted:

Are the Clan mechs going to go back to being much stronger than IS since the quirks are being wiped and everyone gets to pick their skills now? Since part of the reason they're even somewhat balanced is because of all the structure and weapon quirks they gave the IS.

Do any IS robots cost $500? Just checking.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Really, REALLY depends on what happens with mobility. If it ends up working like it was on the PTS anything with masc will be heads and shoulders better, period.

It also depends on how the new weapons pan out.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Quirks aren't being wiped, just most of the duration/cooldown ones are being reduced drastically on all mechs, which mostly affects the really garbage IS mechs more than any of the good ones. Mobility quirks are being folded into the base mobility stats.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

never skip leg day
http://mwomercs.com/news/2017/05/1815-countdown-to-javelin-release-date-may-16th

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
This mech has a dad bod.

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOqbniPVhF8

I'm making a physics mod to go with my weapon mod, finally got the weapon delay bug fixed

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Well, at least they removed the negative quirks from it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

aniviron posted:

Will it come with strings attached meaning the game comes out half-done with updates & DLC eventually fixing the game? We'll see.

probably not. paradox dev studios does the long-tail DLC model. paradox interactive, the publisher, not so much. tyranny doesn't have dlc, pillars only had the dlc they promised with the kickstarter. it almost certainly comes down to how hbs wants to handle it, which is probably a no but who knows

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

tbh complaining about the paradox dlc is dumb because they are basically mini expansion packs and they are still releasing content for some games 5+ years later

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

I deserve this for not hiding my credit card while drunk.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Cease to Hope posted:

probably not. paradox dev studios does the long-tail DLC model. paradox interactive, the publisher, not so much. tyranny doesn't have dlc, pillars only had the dlc they promised with the kickstarter. it almost certainly comes down to how hbs wants to handle it, which is probably a no but who knows

HBS said yes on expansions, and no on small dlc, in their latest update.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Javelin is probably going to make the oxide obsolete. Jump jets, a slightly smaller engine but faster speed due to lower tonnage, hit boxes that don't make it all CT, no arm weapons so you can strip all armor off the arms, and the same weapons package.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Atlatl posted:

I deserve this for not hiding my credit card while drunk.

Whiskey didn't compel you to buy the Lynx hero. I mean, yeah I make the little fucker do some work for me, but still...

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Commoners posted:

Javelin is probably going to make the oxide obsolete. Jump jets, a slightly smaller engine but faster speed due to lower tonnage, hit boxes that don't make it all CT, no arm weapons so you can strip all armor off the arms, and the same weapons package.

The Annihilator is so comically hosed :D

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Commoners posted:

I've been trying to theory craft builds for my Javelin's, ahead of release. With the 4 missile variant I want to try as many SRM6+A as I can fit. The 6 missile I'm thinking SRM2s, no Artemis. Haven't settled on the Energy variant, 4 MPLs seems like the obvious choice though.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

armchairyoda posted:

Do any IS robots cost $500? Just checking.

I was in a scouting match with a gold Nova the other day. It was really hard not to leg him.

e: please explain to me how you do 136 damage in an invasion match using 4 mechs. 2 other idiots barely broke 300 damage.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 13, 2017

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

You're supposed to leg the gold nova

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
The (G) stands for "Go for it, leg me"

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
TK all gold mechs.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
I'd just hump their legs a lot. The key: MAINTAIN THAT EYE CONTACT.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

You're supposed to leg the gold nova

You don't leg novas. You shoot their arms off.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/250428-skill-tree-q-a-with-paul-inouye-and-chris-lowrey/

Blah blah blah, we don't know what the gently caress we're doing it's taken six years to get to this point-

But at least they fixed the firepower tree (Picture in that post but I don't wanna upload poo poo to imgur or anything and am not gonna hotlink) to be less poo poo. You don't end up with a bunch of weird side quirks, and you can avoid stuff very easily for weapons you don't have.

They also removed arm skills, which are completely loving useless 100% even for mechs WITH arms, from the mobility tree.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
End of the event. Got all the rewards I wanted. I think now is a good time to take a break and wait to see if this breaks the game for good.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

So, before the skill tree hits, if I'm reading the last post correctly, the smart thing to do is to:

(1) spend all your GXP on unlocking 'mech skills. Unspent GXP will remain as GXP, but spent GXPs will both be refunded and (if you spend them on 'mech skills) turn into Mech Skill Points, which will save you a fair bit of cash (a mastery slot is worth 34 skill points, or ~1.5M CBills).

(2) don't sell any modules unless you have an absolute shitload of them, because they'll turn into their full-price CBill equivalent in General Skill Points, and as long as you expect to buy enough new mechs that you'll have a use for those GSP it's a better deal than selling them for half-price now. (And if you don't expect to buy a lot of new mechs, then you don't need the CBills anyway.)

(3) wait until tomorrow to do any of the above, just on the off-chance that they change their mind again with the last-minute Patch Notes, because :pgi:

Do I have this right?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Uhh, close, but...

1. GXP spent on unlocking Mech Skills will be refunded as HSP (Historic Skill Points) and HSP only. HSP is like GSP (General Skill Points) but it can only be used to unlock skill nodes on the mech variant it's associated with. E.g. if you have a mastered Timber Wolf-Prime you'll get 91 HSP, which is enough to unlock the max number of skill nodes that can be enabled on a mech at any given time. GXP is only being given in refund for Pilot Skills, which is the stuff like weapon range/cooldown and the various module unlocks/upgrades.

2. Only models purchased before Dec. 3rd 2016 are being refunded as GSP, any you bought after that date come back as full C-bills.

3. Man, they better not. They've confused and pissed off so many people already that even good chances would probably be received poorly.

This new system involves juggling six, six different currencies. Two old: XP and GXP, three new: SP, GSP, and HSP, and two transitional: HXP and HSP.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 14, 2017

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I completely forgot about the event and good lord does this poo poo sound confusing for this tree

I'm guessing this game will die off for everyone except the tippy top whales now

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm sure it'll trundle along. The only people I see leaving are a few embittered long timers who're furious about not getting their precious space bucks refunded. For the average player, the new skill tree is just one more weird and esoteric system layered on top of a big ol' heaping pile of them.

This happens a lot in older MMOs and F2P games. I experienced something very similar when playing Marvel Heroes. Older players constantly want new and updated things, but you end up with so many overlapping systems that the knowledge barrier for a new player is astoundingly high. Imagine coming to this game with no prior knowledge of Battletech or the Mechwarrior franchise. Then layer on top all the stuff PGI has bolted on to that legacy which further obfuscates an already hideously complicated system.

So like, if you're a new player and are willing to buy in for all of that, then the new skill is just one more hurdle to clear and a relatively low one at that.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm sure it'll trundle along. The only people I see leaving are a few embittered long timers who're furious about not getting their precious space bucks refunded. For the average player, the new skill tree is just one more weird and esoteric system layered on top of a big ol' heaping pile of them.

This happens a lot in older MMOs and F2P games. I experienced something very similar when playing Marvel Heroes. Older players constantly want new and updated things, but you end up with so many overlapping systems that the knowledge barrier for a new player is astoundingly high. Imagine coming to this game with no prior knowledge of Battletech or the Mechwarrior franchise. Then layer on top all the stuff PGI has bolted on to that legacy which further obfuscates an already hideously complicated system.

So like, if you're a new player and are willing to buy in for all of that, then the new skill is just one more hurdle to clear and a relatively low one at that.

Note how talent trees were a lot bigger/complex in years past....And that many of those talents were pretty much worthless as far as metas as well, for those into twinking or min/maxing.

Still have to upgrade my potatobox, since my current one will simply freeze upon landing....Was a bit better when I was able to force 32bit, 4GB isn't enough anymore.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
All the new currencies is what really gets me.

Why didn't they make it so you just spend XP and cbills? Why this convoluted process where you purchase SP using HSP/HXP/XP/GXP and then immediately spend the SP? With the removal of the modules the XP or SP are not used anywhere else in the game. Why differentiate between HSP and SP? What is the point of HXP and why is it any different than XP? Why not just fold these into the actual SP/XP? It's not like they can do anything with it that would imbalance the economy or game balance.

The pointless over-engineered complexity boggles my mind.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Why didn't they make it so you just spend XP and cbills? Why this convoluted process where you purchase SP using HSP/HXP/XP/GXP and then immediately spend the SP? With the removal of the modules the XP or SP are not used anywhere else in the game. Why differentiate between HSP and SP? What is the point of HXP and why is it any different than XP? Why not just fold these into the actual SP/XP? It's not like they can do anything with it that would imbalance the economy or game balance.

The HXP/XP thing is so they can sequester all the experience on your favorite mechs to those mechs. Some people have hundreds and hundreds of thousands of XP sitting on maxed out mechs. Take my KDK-3, for example. Lat I looked I had 600k xp rotting away on it. PGI wants you to pay MC to change that to GXP but lol gently caress that noise. If they converted all of that XP to "regular XP" (which would pretty much be GXP) then I would be able to max out a couple more mechs based on what I"ve got parked on my KDK-3 - and that's just one mech. My scorch has something like 200k on it at this point, and I"m sure I've got tons that are sitting on smaller stashes in the 5 figure range. Once all the changes come down all that KDK xp just becomes KDK-3 HXP which locks it in and means I can't use it.

What they REALLY should have done is just offer the chance to convert HXP to GXP at some bad rate or something - 50:1 off the top of my head seems like it would work. But no, I'm sure they have some way to try and monitize that kind of conversion.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Short answer? :pgi:
Long answer. Russ is a loving moron.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
is group play completely borked for anyone else right now?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm done with this gaem, someone make a new OP. TIA

ninja e: *for now. I know in a month I'll reinstall because I'm broken.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Anita Dickinme posted:

I'm done with this gaem, someone make a new OP. TIA

ninja e: *for now. I know in a month I'll reinstall because I'm broken.

2 weeks till the Battletech beta.

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

is group play completely borked for anyone else right now?

I can't create or join groups? Is anyone else having this issue?

EDIT: Found info on it. Apparently they disabled Faction Play after Tukayid ended and it broke ALL grouping in ALL modes for everyone. Wow. PGI.

Darius099 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 15, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Darius099 posted:

From what i heard from pubbies, group drops were broken after the event ended yesterday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Darius099 posted:

EDIT: Found info on it. Apparently they disabled Faction Play after Tukayid ended and it broke ALL grouping in ALL modes for everyone. Wow. PGI.

That's amazing.

• Locked thread