Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

A RN DD that isn't the Cam. I'm missing a tier 6 premium destroyer that is interesting to play.

Shinonome doesn't count, it is aggressively mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Heartcatch posted:

A RN DD that isn't the Cam. I'm missing a tier 6 premium destroyer that is interesting to play.

I legit didn't care about this DD until this post made me realise that I need more T6 premium DDs in my life. There's what, Anshan and Shinonome?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/nevergrind/

Am I reading this right? 30 days of premium time for 15 bucks + flags? Is that cheap? I hate spending money on Free to play but man grinding Wyoming makes me sad. Does WG give out any better deals on premium?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MikeC posted:

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/nevergrind/

Am I reading this right? 30 days of premium time for 15 bucks + flags? Is that cheap? I hate spending money on Free to play but man grinding Wyoming makes me sad. Does WG give out any better deals on premium?

30d of premium is slightly cheaper - it all depends on whether the flags are worth the extra pocket change to you: https://na.wargaming.net/shop/wot/premium/85/

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Insert name here posted:

I legit didn't care about this DD until this post made me realise that I need more T6 premium DDs in my life. There's what, Anshan and Shinonome?

That's pretty much it. Anshan's turrets are a bit unfortunately and well, Shinonome.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Heartcatch posted:

That's pretty much it. Anshan's turrets are a bit unfortunately and well, Shinonome.

Lenningrad?

In all honesty though, the issue is that because of the matchmaker, the blys and sims are still superior. Or the gremy at t5 (though you can also play with fujin/kamikaze r for stealth torp fun as well).

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
$34 for Lo Yang (VIII - DD - China)

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

JuffoWup posted:

Lenningrad?

In all honesty though, the issue is that because of the matchmaker, the blys and sims are still superior. Or the gremy at t5 (though you can also play with fujin/kamikaze r for stealth torp fun as well).

But.. those aren't tier 6. :confused:

Gremy, Sims, and Blys are absolutely excellent destroyers for their tiers, and Lo Yang at 8 is good as well. Tier 6 is the one tier in between lacking a strong performing premium destroyer. Anshan is sluggish despite having workable torpedoes, and Shinonome is a worse Fubuki in nearly every way.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Anshan is sad to play. The guns can have tough times tracking targets up close, the torps are ok not great and you only get 6 of them, and the detection is pretty poor. Stack tier 6 MM on it and I wouldn't really recommend it.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Heartcatch posted:

Gremy, Sims, and Blys are absolutely excellent destroyers for their tiers, and Lo Yang at 8 is good as well. Tier 6 is the one tier in between lacking a strong performing premium destroyer. Anshan is sluggish despite having workable torpedoes, and Shinonome is a worse Fubuki in nearly every way.

Do note that the Anshan is a very slightly modified Gremy that's a tier higher. The only thing it really has over the Gremy is actually being available for purchase.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Heartcatch posted:

I thought the leningrad was 6, but I see it is actually 7. I agree that 6 is lacking, but I also would point out that tier 6 matchmaking kind of blows anyway. That is why I mentioned the blys and sims. Gremy was just a throw in as it is a tier 5 DD. However it isn't obtainable so it doesn't matter. Not that tier 5 isn't any better for matchmaking nowadays.

JCFalkenberg
Jul 7, 2008
Just a couple tier 5 goons (and a ranger) carrying in a last second victory
I really thought we were hosed until the absolute last second.

az
Dec 2, 2005

JCFalkenberg posted:

that game was a rollercoaster of emotions

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

El Disco posted:

Do note that the Anshan is a very slightly modified Gremy that's a tier higher. The only thing it really has over the Gremy is actually being available for purchase.

I've posited that a few hundred(thousand?) pages back in the thread with frowny faces. It's actually just a Gnevny with better torpedoes rather than a Gremy. It might be good or even decent if it were Gremy.

JuffoWup posted:

I thought the leningrad was 6, but I see it is actually 7. I agree that 6 is lacking, but I also would point out that tier 6 matchmaking kind of blows anyway. That is why I mentioned the blys and sims. Gremy was just a throw in as it is a tier 5 DD. However it isn't obtainable so it doesn't matter. Not that tier 5 isn't any better for matchmaking nowadays.

Matchmaking has been pretty bad for 5 and 6 after the changes, but sometimes you have mates who want to play tier 6 and it can't be helped. I'm not going to repurchase ships I've ground through at that tier just for that! We can hope that this destroyer is actually decent though. Leningrad is not a bad ship for tier 7 at all, but that's Blyskawica's tier.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Just lol if you didn't keep a Bayern for T6 division games.

I kept my Farragut too in anticipation of the next T6 ranked season.

But really its a good idea to have at least one ship at every tier for divisioning/odd missions/ranked.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 13, 2017

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Heartcatch posted:

I'm thinking of setting up one with a Expert Marksman captain.
Could be a nice gun/torp hybrid with those 6 guns.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Heartcatch posted:

Matchmaking has been pretty bad for 5 and 6 after the changes, but sometimes you have mates who want to play tier 6 and it can't be helped. I'm not going to repurchase ships I've ground through at that tier just for that! We can hope that this destroyer is actually decent though. Leningrad is not a bad ship for tier 7 at all, but that's Blyskawica's tier.
I don't mind T6 MM that much so I'll gladly play at that tier. T5 is pretty bad though yeah.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

JCFalkenberg posted:

Looks like that game was very fun.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Krogort posted:

I'm thinking of setting up one with a Expert Marksman captain.
Could be a nice gun/torp hybrid with those 6 guns.

PEOPLE PUTTING EM ON IJN DESTROYERS

anyways, the Shinonome's problem is its rear end range. loving awful range, needs AFT, to be honest. I'm too lazy to work on a commander for it so it lays unused for now.

Meanwhile, in "every game I played in my Atago today was a T10 match"...

At least credits aren't affected by whether you win or lose.

Lord Koth posted:

That would make it literally impossible for battleships with 16"+ guns from ever getting penetrations on any destroyer in the game (bar Khabarovsk), because aside from the Gearing's 21mm belt armor, none exceed even 19mm of armor anywhere on the ship. No matter how you angle that, you're not getting anywhere near the ~68mm of armor needed to fuse a 16" shell. Hell, it'd be incredibly hard to fuse even 8" shells (203mm, of which 1/6th is 34mm).

There's more to armor than just whats on the outside, theres modules and poo poo on the inside too that will catch shells and slow them down/add to the effective thickness for fuzing the shell. Also, the shells fuze based on effective thickness, so a BB shell hitting a DD nose on then going the length of the ship will hit something like 100mm or effective armor on just the first plate and fuze pretty quickly as it goes through, blowing up in the midsection or aft.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Warspite forever :britain:

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

You guys misspelled Fuso

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Pacra posted:

You guys misspelled Fuso

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I can't believe I just ground through the Pensacola. Finished it with a Confederate which was nice, but oof, rough boat.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Vengarr posted:

I kept mine because I earned that perma-camo and sometimes I just have to grind a little more to get a second container, dammit.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

MrKatharsis posted:

I can't believe I just ground through the Pensacola. Finished it with a Confederate which was nice, but oof, rough boat.

It's actually really excellent post concealment buff IMO. I prefer playing it to the Schors for example because you can be a bit more aggressive in situations that Schors doesn't allow. If the Indy got buffed to that concealment I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

kaesarsosei posted:

I hope as well as the Enterprise they actually add the Yorktown class as regular CVs. The yanks had enough CVs in the war to justify at least an IJN-DD style partial split (perhaps separate T6, 7 and 8 ending at the Yorktown).

There's a sneaking chance this Russian Nurnberg will have radar you know. Apparently it was fitted to it in 1954 and we know Wargaming will go to the 50's for stuff (Kutusov).

Honestly I hope they don't, carriers are loving cancer and anything they do that encourages more carriers is a bad thing.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Bombing idiot BBs and having them complain about you is cool + good actually

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

Insert name here posted:

Bombing idiot BBs and having them complain about you is cool + good actually

Source your quotes

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Pacra posted:

You guys misspelled Fuso

Fuso and New Mexico don't punch up as well as the Bayern IMO. They can still merk cruisers, but uptier BBs will eat you. Bayern's better armor and guns give you a better fighting chance.

Mutsu might even be better with the 16-inch guns. As long as no-one shoots you. Of course, Fuso and NM are also great if no one is shooting at you.

CV's are necessary for the game but the current balance is wonky and terrible. And the icing on the cake is that they're not really that fun to play either.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 13, 2017

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Playing the Blyskawica for the first time since stealth firing went away, I'm not sure what I should be doing in it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Vengarr posted:

CV's are necessary for the game ..........

Yeah I totally don't see why or how.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Vengarr posted:

CV's are necessary for the game but the current balance is wonky and terrible. And the icing on the cake is that they're not really that fun to play either.

Considering the game has been doing quite well with a barebones CV population and the majority of matches not actually having CVs in them... I disagree. And I think if CVs were more prevalent, they'd be far more damaging to the game than them disappearing all together.

There needs to be some serious soulsearching within WG about what CVs should be about before they actually enact their CV rework, because CVs as they are seem schizophrenic in their intended purpose (are they damage dealers? are they support?), with huge gaps between suboptimal and pro play to ever see true balance.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
What are the recommened perks for a T5-7 American BB these days. Most of flamu's guides are outdated with old tech trees

edit: I am the kind of guy willing to cheat on AA and hope they don't show up

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Sperglord Actual posted:

Playing the Blyskawica for the first time since stealth firing went away, I'm not sure what I should be doing in it.

Same thing you did before, but a little more carefully.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

MikeC posted:

What are the recommened perks for a T5-7 American BB these days. Most of flamu's guides are outdated with old tech trees

Priority Target, Expert Marksmen, Basics of Survivability, Fire Prevention

If you don't care about knowing how many people are targeting you or HE lighting you on fire, then:
Preventative Maintenance, Expert Marksmen, Basics of Survivability, Concealment Expert

Priorities after 10 points is to pickup Fire Prevention or Concealment Expert (14), whichever you didn't take, then Adrenaline Rush (16), then whatever you want. A good cap off in my opinion would be Superintedent (19), or you could go with some piecemeal other choices like Priority Target/Preventative Maintenance and Jack of All Trades or High Alert, etc.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 13, 2017

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

MikeC posted:

I'd go something like:
  1. Preventative maintenance (could also go with the double float plane skill, especially if you're going to be taking the float fighter on the Colorado)
  2. Expert Marksmen
  3. Superintendent
  4. Concealment Expert
Then afterwards it's your choice. I personally go AFT for extra AA range, then probably either vigilance or BoS at seventeen and then AR for the last two points.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Need a book recommendation. I have read The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, A Home on the Rolling Main, and Japansese Destroyer Captain. All excellent destroyer books.

I want a similar book on battleships, preferably dreadnoughts, but any will do. I want to smell the gear oil and hear the profanity. What have you got?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Castles of Steel is in the realm but less gear oily first person accounts and more high level analysis.

Also there's literally a book called Dreadnaught by the same author. Again higher level stuff.

rex rabidorum vires fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 14, 2017

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Is there some graphical tweaking I can do to make the game less foggy and bright? I played with the gamma, and that only helped a little. Any map with fog or oh so beautiful ( bright as gently caress ) sunlight gleaming off the waves is absolutely awful and screws my aim up fierce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Hazdoc posted:

Considering the game has been doing quite well with a barebones CV population and the majority of matches not actually having CVs in them... I disagree. And I think if CVs were more prevalent, they'd be far more damaging to the game than them disappearing all together.

There needs to be some serious soulsearching within WG about what CVs should be about before they actually enact their CV rework, because CVs as they are seem schizophrenic in their intended purpose (are they damage dealers? are they support?), with huge gaps between suboptimal and pro play to ever see true balance.

As someone who actually enjoys playing carriers (because completely loving people over is hilarious, tbh), I agree. I really don't think they're good for the game and I hate seeing good CV players on the other team more than any other ship.