Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Also, don't play nice at all. The enemies always drop in the same locations. Memorize them, and have a nice meaty heavy attack started up so that it goes off right as they hit the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Thank god the arenas don't, to my knowledge, include the most dangerous enemy type of all:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Your god has no part in this madness

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 13, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Your god has no part in this madness

How the hell did you beat such an imposing opponent?? It's so... tall

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

Huh, i only just now realized that the only reason that the player is assigned the YoRHa betrayers mission is because 2B is, well, actually E series. Also her lack of commentary at 9S' exasperation at how the mission turns out, but early-game that's easily attributed to her general lack of dialogue whenever 9S tries conversation.

Holy poo poo.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Trash YoRHa shirt shipped :bubblewoop:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

Try medium biped with dual axes if you haven't already. It's L1 attack basically turns it into a blender that damages anything it walks into and destroys all bullets coming at you. The only problem with it is that it has a very long startup time, so you either want to anticipate an enemy spawn to take some guys out immediately, or create some distance so you can wind up first.

If you rely on fists he is one of the most mobile and handy robots in the arena. I thought the axes were cool but they're very slow so I'd get cut to death by the smaller guys during my set-up. Apparently, you can control the laser worm robot in there too but they always found me so I never managed to control one outside.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Being a laser worm is a massive liability because the enemy just needs to hit anywhere you've been in the last like 10 seconds to damage you.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh my god I did it. I finally did it. It took me three irl god drat loving hours but I did it. I only needed to get lucky once, and I didn't get hit by any of spear guys stupid lingering hitboxes, or roll too high on the inevitable electric shield damage, or have to deal with spider machine's combos, or have the gun guys use any of their effectively instant kill bullet spams, or let Masamune even attack once before eating a heavy combo.

Bless you, tiny saw man. Bless you and your batshit damage output, ludicrous spinning combo, and implausibly large HP pool (seriously what is up with this? Everyone's HP in the arena seems to be roughly the opposite of what it should be).

gently caress this whole sequence. It's a cool idea, but it just doesn't work. Everything about it, even its context as DLC in this game of all games, is exactly working against it.

Why, Platinum. Everything about this is things I thought you were above...

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

verbal enema posted:

Trash YoRHa shirt shipped :bubblewoop:

:same:

Just been doing more trophy cleanup postgame.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

HenryEx posted:

Huh, i only just now realized that the only reason that the player is assigned the YoRHa betrayers mission is because 2B is, well, actually E series. Also her lack of commentary at 9S' exasperation at how the mission turns out, but early-game that's easily attributed to her general lack of dialogue whenever 9S tries conversation.

It's kind of a neat effect; as 2B, I found 9S' chatting constantly amusing, and completely understood 2B's silence suggesting she's happy to listen to him talk, and also she's surrounded by chatting people; her Operator is a good example. Yet when you play as 9S, it's a much more isolating experience; everyone's telling him to shut up, 2B barely says three words to him, and he's just sort of idly chattering at nothing. They get more conversational after the Amusement Park, but 9S' existence seems much, much sadder once you play as him, and by Ending B you've really come to understand what he means when he expresses how happy he is to have someone to talk to.

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

Fedule posted:

(seriously what is up with this? Everyone's HP in the arena seems to be roughly the opposite of what it should be).

Stubbies being megalithic hp tanks makes me smile.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I completed C path, and...sweet Jesus that was an emotional roller coaster. I haven't had a video game get to me this much since I was a teenager.

I have so many questions, but I'm going to hold off on those until I see the last two endings.

:gbsmith:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I completed C path, and...sweet Jesus that was an emotional roller coaster. I haven't had a video game get to me this much since I was a teenager.

I have so many questions, but I'm going to hold off on those until I see the last two endings.

:gbsmith:

You'll get some answers after E, if you come back to your save to look for them.

Jackass knows the score.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Here's a neat story that recently got translated, and it fits in neatly with the themes of the game in general.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17yNgiXN3BIAMzXP7AyIZPv-6grsEbYcTcXCGLwPCdNA/edit

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Phobophilia posted:

Here's a neat story that recently got translated, and it fits in neatly with the themes of the game in general.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17yNgiXN3BIAMzXP7AyIZPv-6grsEbYcTcXCGLwPCdNA/edit

10Hikkikomori and Pod 006 are a good daughter and father combo

Sadly, they're in a Taro franchise

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 13, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Fedule posted:

What am I missing with the machine arena DLC? It appears to be complete poo poo. I am trying to do the last challenge (lv99 (I am lv99)) and I'm being stunlocked in a goddamn Platinum game. The receptionist is talking about hacking like it does something but it seems to not. The controllable machines ask me to choose a weapon from a menu with only one option, ever. I have to be missing something, right?

Tarezax posted:

You can only control machines that you've previously remote controlled elsewhere.

Apparently medium biped with an axe is the strongest option.

Oh no, I'm too late to give advice... but might introduce you to my friend, unarmed Stubby doing windmills?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaABg892SjU

Apparently he has exponential scaling and does 12000 damage at level 99, unless this is hacked.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Phobophilia posted:

I love the confirmation that even the server operators are completely in the dark about what they're doing. But it just makes me more curious about who the hell set up the whole sham

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Some jerk I guess!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nina posted:

I love the confirmation that even the server operators are completely in the dark about what they're doing. But it just makes me more curious about who the hell set up the whole sham

One truly miserable rear end in a top hat, whoever they were.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CJacobs posted:

One truly miserable rear end in a top hat, whoever they were.

One of the plays covered some of it. One of the miserable assholes designing it was an early iteration of the 9S personality type!

The first iteration of the 2B personality type wound up putting him the gently caress down.

Theirs is truly a romance for the ages.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Man made Androids in their own image, and so the Androids made Pods in their own. The Pods have a simpler agenda than the Androids, who too easily fall into the confusion of free will.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I'm now convinced the Council of Humanity announcer is just a particularly deep voiced Pod talking into a mic

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Jesus gently caress activating the golden bunny is so tedious now.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

HGH posted:

Oh no, I'm too late to give advice... but might introduce you to my friend, unarmed Stubby doing windmills?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaABg892SjU

Apparently he has exponential scaling and does 12000 damage at level 99, unless this is hacked.

My strategy was identical to this, except for using saw stubby instead of windmill fist master stubby. I prefer the saw spam attack for its mobility. The only disadvantage is that it doesn't have the range to hit the spider, so you have to bait it into doing it's overhead slam that gets its claws stuck in the ground to get an opening to do the otherwise useless R1 attack.

Note the video guy understood as well as I did that if you let the gun guys live for a second longer than you have to you are going to lose. Hell, he got lucky; I had to dodge laser spam and bullets on my way to kill the second one. I also like how they can if they choose dodge straight out of spawn and shoot you in the face, for an instant loss.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I actually really hate that the DLC rewards anyone who didn't delete their save or kept a backup

This grind just to be able to complete the DLC I paid 15€ for feels like I'm playing Drakengard

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
i mean

People knew it was coming for a while

You could've just said no and come back later, and the dlc description very much highlights that stuff becomes accessible as you progress

i think the game is the last thing to blame in this scenario

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I 100%d the game way before they announced the DLC though and really I was expecting it to be cosmetics without context or separate chapter DLC like Drakengard 3.

At least the level 130 challenges aren't that essential and even the CEOs are only level 85 so I won't feel bad skipping the Special Rank stuff

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Should have downloaded a copy of your save from online storage like any good android.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I played through the game twice. For the glory of mankind.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

I'd be totally cool with it if the game actually let you fight stuff significantly underleveled like most action RPGs

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
It would be nice if the scaling was more like a Souls game.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Oh definitely. The best way to design an action RPG in my opinion is pretty much to have leveling mainly only affect your durability while leaving most major progress to a gear system. Like Kingdom Hearts, Dark Souls and many other games do. The whole point of the subgenre is to have player skill and character progression working in tandem so that one can make up for the other if you're having trouble.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Finding the apologetic machines and figuring there must be something with them isn't a huge leap of logic.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fangz posted:

It was worth every second too.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Fangz posted:

I only did that to get all the sidequests and weapons and stuff I missed, but boy am I glad I did it anyway. A second playthrough recontextualizes so much.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
too bad most sidequests consist of a half dozen loading screens as you fast travel back and forth. I can't believe progress on them doesnt pick back up when you go back via chapter select.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fedule posted:

Why, Platinum. Everything about this is things I thought you were above...

looks like somebody is repressing some memories from other Platinum games!

Tarezax posted:

You can only control machines that you've previously remote controlled elsewhere.

gently caress. Wow, that was not adequately explained in the slightest

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 13, 2017

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Phobophilia posted:

"That's the 46th time."

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Bunnyhop talkin' about the story https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehM1m5-TG5g

I actually really enjoy hearing an angle focused more on topics that don't get brought up as often in mainstream discussion about the game.