Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

SeanBeansShako posted:

That MMO was really really unlucky. At the mercy of SOE, LucasArts marketeering AND being rushed?
After reading a bunch of stuff on Raph Koster's blog I'm convinced it was mostly LA's fault, with most SOE-induced problems peanuts in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah LucasArts just didn't understand that game.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

SeanBeansShako posted:

That MMO was really really unlucky. At the mercy of SOE, LucasArts marketeering AND being rushed?

It was way more ambitious than it had any right to be. It's still the best crafting system I've seen. It's too bad the combat system was horribly imbalances and also completely broken. Oh and the severe lack of content.

E: I would kill for a proper re-imagining of SWG.

KIM JONG TRILL fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 13, 2017

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

It was way more ambitious than it had any right to be. It's still the best crafting system I've seen. It's too bad the combat system was horribly imbalances and also completely broken. Oh and the severe lack of content.
Perhaps appropriately, it reached for the stars. Then when it missed and careened back down it burned up, screaming and swearing the whole way.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Teek posted:

Boba Fett was almost certainly about to be announced, then it's director, Josh Trank, crapped the bed with Fantastic Four and had very public personality issues revealed. He was then quietly removed and Boba Fett was put on the back burner.

Kennedy has said she plans to make final decisions on the next stand alone this summer. If they get everything nailed down early enough, they may announce what that is at D23 this July.

Currently all the rumors seem to focus on these two:

Obi-Wan Kenobi stand alone set between III and IV.
Bounty Hunter movie, which includes Boba Fett but is not focused on him.

My guess is they may move to a 1 year ~ 6 month rotation for movies, which means every other year we would get two movies a year. Something like this:

December 2017 - Last Jedi (Confirmed release date)
May 2018 - Han Solo (Confirmed release date)
May 2019 - Episode IX (Confirmed release date)
December 2019 - Next stand alone
May 2020 - Another stand alone
May 2021 - Han Solo 2
December 2021 - ?

Then they either take a break for awhile, keep rolling out stand alones on the regular and/or give a few years break until they go back to the Saga films.

I'd add to the mix a Vader standalone set any drat time you want to, hard to go wrong since there's plenty of interesting situations to imagine him in once he's more machine than man. My personal fave would be between clone wars and a new hope, Rebels is getting into that somewhat but there's plenty of time in between there to work with. That minute at the end of Rogue One was the best Star Wars Minute of any SW film I've seen, so give me more!

Bounty hunters is hard to screw up, get an interesting bounty and have Boba and about 4 other cool hunters go after it and away you go. Obi-Wan can work as well, but from what we know he mostly is chilling on Tattoine, it'd be more interesting to see what Vader gets up to as he runs around policing the entire galaxy, in my view at least.

If they want to go real wild, you can do a very interesting young Palpatine movie. Studying under his apprentice, how he managed to get into the Senate while keeping his sithness a secret, more detail on how he was the shadowy figure behind all the clone war shenanigans, whether he did in fact create Anakin and thus ultimately created his own destruction with Luke and Anakin taking him down. The prequels did a poor job of it, but it's not like the broad stroke ideas and situations of the clone wars were inherently bad. I don't think Palpatine really gets enough credit for being the force of will and personality to lead to literally billions of people dying all across the galaxy just to see himself on top, now that's some Game of Thrones poo poo right there!

Plus we've only ever seen him as an old man, I wouldn't mind at all seeing a 40-ish Palpatine making plans and busting out real slick fighting skills when he has to.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The key difference is that everything in KOTOR 2 is based off of perception and rumours. Nothing about Revan beyond him being an extremely gifted tactician and powerful Force user is ever treated as fact. There is a lot of nuance because Revan is seen in multiple perspectives, from those who followed him (Atton), to those that trained him (Kreia).

Bioware, especially post-2011 Bioware, lacked the nuance to properly address the developments that Obsidian made, so they took Kreia's figurative theories on the Sith literally, and just turned them into Galactic Empire 2.0, with Revan being a puppet but also the greatest most powerful Jedi ever to defeat Uber Emperor.

And one of the bigger infodumps about Revan comes from a character hardly anyone interacts with and so gets to see his quite interesting story: G0-T0. Of course, take anything he says with a truckload of salt because G0-T0 is an interesting AI story concept in a setting that has zero interest in exploring the ramifications of AI beyond the odd beep boop kill all organics droid rebellion.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
They should make the Tarkin novel into a movie.

Vader and Tarkin in a buddy cop movie to recover a stolen spaceship by applying maximum murder and force choking.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Lets think slightly outside the OT characters box for a minute and dream of a timeline in which we get a Thrawn standalone movie.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm still hoping they are saving some more of the Thrawn series minor characters for telly stuff.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
R2-D2 origins or bust.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Young Qui-Gon Jinn would be most interesting to me. Not sure who'd play him. If you go for "a bit younger than TPM" it'd have to be Kenneth Branagh. If you go for "a lot younger than TPM" I'm less sure.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

E: I would kill for a proper re-imagining of SWG.

It still has potential, the framework was all there. It sadly just didn't have the time or focus to fix what issues it had. I am looking forward to when the emultation is done and the first server that tries to actually add all the good CU/post NGE content AND fix the classic games combat mechanics instead of not touching anything.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Young Qui-Gon Jinn would be most interesting to me. Not sure who'd play him. If you go for "a bit younger than TPM" it'd have to be Kenneth Branagh. If you go for "a lot younger than TPM" I'm less sure.

Interestingly way back in the mid-90s, after the prequels were first announced, I remember Kenneth Branagh being one of the first rumored actors, for Obi-Wan.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Lets think slightly outside the OT characters box for a minute and dream of a timeline in which we get a Thrawn standalone movie.

I don't dare to dream of that. In the Thrawn Novel when he's introduced to the Emperor he drops the bomb that he had some wild adventure with Anakin Skywalker and that he spoke highly of Palpatine, so Thrawn and Anakin wrecking poo poo with a recast Anakin and practical makeup on whoever plays Thrawn sounds amazing. I hope Zahn at least does a novella or something about that, it's such a crazy situation that I really want to see what went down there.

However Rebels wraps up my #1 hope is that Thrawn is left out there. Maybe he does get his butt kicked, but he goes back to his people or something, leave as much potential use for him on the table as you can. Sadly I mostly expect that Rebels ends with him dead.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

NowonSA posted:

I don't dare to dream of that. In the Thrawn Novel when he's introduced to the Emperor he drops the bomb that he had some wild adventure with Anakin Skywalker and that he spoke highly of Palpatine, so Thrawn and Anakin wrecking poo poo with a recast Anakin and practical makeup on whoever plays Thrawn sounds amazing. I hope Zahn at least does a novella or something about that, it's such a crazy situation that I really want to see what went down there.

Wasn't that just a nod to Outbound Flight?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tensokuu posted:

Wasn't that just a nod to Outbound Flight?
They didn't end up encountering each other in Outbound Flight. There was a tacked on bit with Obi-Wan and Anakin but they were in and out of the story in short order and feels like something that Del Ray insisted on.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
It's been a while since I read it, so thanks for the reminder. For some reason I thought they all interacted.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Currently working my way through the novels containing young Anakin and they are painful. Anakin does everything in his power to gently caress everything up and just complains all the time. All the while being some mini super Jedi that amazes everyone with his force connection.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Just started on Outbound Flight.

This Thrawn guy seems like a real Mary Sue. He can solve anything with anything. Is super smart, wise.

He just looks at a painting and instantly knows what the creator looks like and that the creators race fears something particular.

He even stares down two destroyer drones because he deduced that it was all just a feint based on the thickness of the entrance doors.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Not yet discovered Corran Horn then?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Not yet discovered Corran Horn then?

Taking the piss out of the Jedi Academy Trilogy is a matter of practice.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Also some other things.

parsec is used as a unit of time in these books.
"sensed the dark side" is used for everything ominous. For example Anakin sensed the dark side in Sebulba
Anakin laments him and his mothers harsh treatment as slaves under the cruel Watto. But if I recall Watto was pretty lenient as far as slave owners go. Especially on a Hutt planet.

Do authors have access to some sort of ship registry or do they just use the names as they like?

For example: Obi-wan was riding a speeder in the Coruscant traffic and had to swerve to avoid hitting a Cruiser.
In "Lords of the Sith" Darth Vader was on foot and being attacked by a freighter. It made strafing runs. Isn't a freighter a cargo ship? Star Wars authors seem to use "freighter" for all kinds of things.

You would think that there would be an image chart with denoted sizes and uses to double check when you wanted to pick a ship for something.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Catberry posted:

In "Lords of the Sith" Darth Vader was on foot and being attacked by a freighter. It made strafing runs. Isn't a freighter a cargo ship? Star Wars authors seem to use "freighter" for all kinds of things.

Freighters can be modified to have laser turrets, etc. Especially freighters used by resistance groups like the Free Ryloth Movement.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Catberry posted:

You would think that there would be an image chart with denoted sizes and uses to double check when you wanted to pick a ship for something.

I think stuff like this is a symptom of the fact that these books are also not really edited as closely as the public perception of them.

I remember back in the day that Leland Chee, the guy who supervises all continuity, was emphatic that some character had been killed off in some early 2000s thing and fans had to point out to him that the character actually was on-screen in ROTS. The official Lucasfilm head of continuity, and who is now also on the vaunted story group.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Catberry posted:

The Falcon is a freighter.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

The Falcon is a freighter.

I think that's where the issue comes from. Authors use "freighter" as "small to medium fighter/transport ship"

Catberry fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 16, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember back in the day that Leland Chee, the guy who supervises all continuity, was emphatic that some character had been killed off in some early 2000s thing and fans had to point out to him that the character actually was on-screen in ROTS. The official Lucasfilm head of continuity, and who is now also on the vaunted story group.

Which character was it?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which character was it?

It was some minor Separatist alien... one of those senators who are in the background across the prequels but I don't think actually have any lines in the films. So I guess Chee could be given some slack since it's not like he thought that Mace Windu died in AOTC or whatever, but still.

Fake edit: it was Tikkes the Quarren senator. Who apparently was originally supposed to be Tessek, the Quarren at Jabba's palace in ROTJ. I kind of wish that had been kept... guy goes from being a Republic senator, to a separatist rebel, to hiding with the galaxy's largest criminal after his revolution is crushed.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Catberry posted:

Also some other things.

parsec is used as a unit of time in these books.
"sensed the dark side" is used for everything ominous. For example Anakin sensed the dark side in Sebulba
Anakin laments him and his mothers harsh treatment as slaves under the cruel Watto. But if I recall Watto was pretty lenient as far as slave owners go. Especially on a Hutt planet.

Do authors have access to some sort of ship registry or do they just use the names as they like?

For example: Obi-wan was riding a speeder in the Coruscant traffic and had to swerve to avoid hitting a Cruiser.

Parsec is used as a unit of time if the author remembers Han Solo's line and doesn't know astronomy, and a unit of distance otherwise.

"Sensing the dark side" in a non-force-sensitive sounds like a diplomatic way to say "sensing that he's a dick".

Star Wars authors only manage to get even close to realistic ship sizes because Zahn, Stackpole, and Allston were pretty careful about using ship size classes in a sensible way. Offensive freighters are pretty core to Star Wars though - the Millennium Falcon is a freighter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jazerus posted:

Parsec is used as a unit of time if the author remembers Han Solo's line and doesn't know astronomy, and a unit of distance otherwise.

"Sensing the dark side" in a non-force-sensitive sounds like a diplomatic way to say "sensing that he's a dick".

Star Wars authors only manage to get even close to realistic ship sizes because Zahn, Stackpole, and Allston were pretty careful about using ship size classes in a sensible way. Offensive freighters are pretty core to Star Wars though - the Millennium Falcon is a freighter.

I feel like people forget that Luke's first impression of the Falcon is that it's a giant piece of poo poo and Han clarifies that it's not a standard ship and he's modified it a bunch. "All freighters are the Millenium Falcon" ignores that the Falcon is nonstandard as poo poo.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like people forget that Luke's first impression of the Falcon is that it's a giant piece of poo poo and Han clarifies that it's not a standard ship and he's modified it a bunch. "All freighters are the Millenium Falcon" ignores that the Falcon is nonstandard as poo poo.

Mods or not, Chewie or not, Han didn't rip out the spine of the ship to cram in two gravity compensated quad gun seats.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Freighters were basically what galleons were in the 17th century. You can get many different types of both, some of which can easily be modified legally or otherwise now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mods or not, Chewie or not, Han didn't rip out the spine of the ship to cram in two gravity compensated quad gun seats.

From what i can find on Google they did in fact exactly that. The unmodified TY-1300 has only a single laser cannon mounted on the top of the ship.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

Fake edit: it was Tikkes the Quarren senator. Who apparently was originally supposed to be Tessek, the Quarren at Jabba's palace in ROTJ. I kind of wish that had been kept... guy goes from being a Republic senator, to a separatist rebel, to hiding with the galaxy's largest criminal after his revolution is crushed.

One thing I would (have) be(en) pretty keen to see more of was former Separatists joining up with the Rebellion to oppose the Empire; you have people who fought against the Republic allied with people who want to restore the Republic. It might have made for interesting stories.

As it happens (in Legends, at least), I think the limits of the idea's use were the Rebels using old Separatist ships and the official storyline was that the remnants of the Separatists were crushed by the Imperial fleet in the space of a year or two after ROTS (e.g. that Battlefront 2 mission where you go to Mustafar after a Geonosian scientist reactivates an old droid army; Dan Wallace and Jason Fry introduced a whole bunch more when they did the Essential Guide to Warfare).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The most interesting thing about the Separatists to me is the context they had in the Legends EU (how much of which has been maintained in the New EU I'm not sure): the Separatists were based in the Outer Rim, which was mainly populated by non-human aliens; this region of space was poor, overrun in equal measure by corrupt megacorporations with private armies and vast crime syndicates controlled by hedonistic slugs; slavery is rife, as are drug smuggling and gun running; as for their bread and circuses, they can gamble on illegal sports like podracing.

They were represented in the senate by the conservative faction but felt left behind by the institutions, which were dominated by the prosperous and peaceful majority human Core worlds, who were represented by the liberal faction but seemed to spend all their time listening to a bunch of ivory tower religious fanatics with a deranged puritanical philosophy who kidnap babies and had strange supernatural abilities.

The Separatists themselves are led by a council of crooked plutocrats and their leader is an old money aristocrat who happens to be very charismatic, seems to elucidate their problems and offers a very simple solution to them: leave the Republic and Make the Galaxy Great Again.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 16, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well poo poo, now I can't look at Dooku the same way ever again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On the other hand, I'm not sure what really motivated the Republic during the Clone War. Presumably it was a sort of American Civil War "secession is illegal" angle on their side. I think the Separatists are more interesting because you can read a lot into them; they're a cause that might have been worthy at one point but they've been hijacked by a cartel of crooks.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 16, 2017

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Liberal decadence

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wheat Loaf posted:

On the other hand, I'm not sure what really motivated the Republic during the Clone War. Presumably it was a sort of American Civil War "secession is illegal" angle on their side. I think the Separatists are more interesting because you can read a lot into them; they're a cause that might have been worthy at one point but they've been hijacked by a cartel of crooks.

Well there was that and the multiple assassination attempts against high profile senators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's like that one episode of DS9 where Eddington tells Sisko that he thinks the Federation, in its own way, is worse than the Borg, because at least the Borg are honest about what they do.