Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

pubic works project posted:

I agree with this 100% and I'm a huge Hal Jordan/GL fan. I enjoyed his GL, but his JSA, Flash, and his run on Action Comics just blows everything else out of the water.

Does that JSA run begin with the 1999 series or the 2007? It looks like he worked on more than one JSA series...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Shitshow posted:

Does that JSA run begin with the 1999 series or the 2007? It looks like he worked on more than one JSA series...

1999 and then it was rebooted in the 2007

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

drat. What is that? Another three omnibuses for the Flash?

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
So on a whim, and because it was on sale, I grabbed a collection of Dark Horse's current take on Creepy and it was terrific. Are there any other current horror comics anthology type things worth reading?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

joehonkie posted:

So on a whim, and because it was on sale, I grabbed a collection of Dark Horse's current take on Creepy and it was terrific. Are there any other current horror comics anthology type things worth reading?

I like IDW's Haunted Horror, which collects real pre-code horror comics and reprint them beautifully. They are very weird, absurd and ridiculous.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Franchescanado posted:

I like IDW's Haunted Horror, which collects real pre-code horror comics and reprint them beautifully. They are very weird, absurd and ridiculous.

I'll check it out. Creepy is neat because it's like new artists and writers treading that ground successfully though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The Sleep of Reason is an anthology by indie comic creators.

https://ironcircus.com/shop/books/26-the-sleep-of-reason-softcover.html

The PDF is half off. I think it's on comiXology, too.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Uthor posted:

The Sleep of Reason is an anthology by indie comic creators.

https://ironcircus.com/shop/books/26-the-sleep-of-reason-softcover.html

The PDF is half off. I think it's on comiXology, too.

I'll check it out. Thanks!

EDIT: Seems to be $30 for the PDF, $20 at ComiXology.

joehonkie fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 13, 2017

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

joehonkie posted:

EDIT: Seems to be $30 for the PDF, $20 at ComiXology.

$15 for the PDF.

https://ironcircus.com/shop/ebooks/25-the-sleep-of-reason-pdf-ebook.html

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

obi_ant posted:

Finally collected Geoff's three omnibuses for Green Lantern. Just wondering was there something else I needed to pick up before I jump in.

Not specifically Johns, but if you enjoy his GL, definitely check out the concurrent Green Lantern Corps series, variously written by Dave Gibbons, Peter Tomasi and others.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://www.amazon.ca/Rumble-1-What-Color-Darkness/dp/1632153831/ref=pd_sim_14_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=548JC60W0Z6GGRFNC85C

Is this as cool as it looks?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I got volume one from a humble bundle a while back and yeah it's pretty cool. Very mignola/Kirby esque with an interesting story and good characters

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I recently finished getting through all 300 issues of Hellblazer and I'm still kind of :psyduck: trying to figure out wtf is going on with "the new 52" and the dc rebirth stuff - I'm at least several years out of date apparently. Can someone point me toward a resource to figure out where to start from here? I'm not hugely focused on Constantine or The Hellblazer I just am interested in figuring out what's going on with this whole rebirth thing and figure someone around here might be able to tell me where to find a decent breakdown of what to get and in what order. THanks

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Which Elseworlds collections do I positively have to have? I have my eye on the Batman collections they just released, especially the first one. I'm intrigued by the Supes collection on the way but am worried the premises are the best part and the stories are dogshit. I'm also eyeing up that big trade that celebrates Mignola's work for DC. Anything else? How's the Justice League one?

Keep in mind I have Kingdom Come, Red Son and I cherish New Frontier the way seniors cherish their grandchildren. I also think Gotham by Gaslight is one of the best alternate history type stories ever, and don't really dig the Batman/Dracula stuff.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 26, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Which Elseworlds collections do I positively have to have? I have my eye on the Batman collections they just released, especially the first one. I'm intrigued by the Supes collection on the way but am worried the premises are the best part and the stories are dogshit. I'm also eyeing up that big trade that celebrates Mignola's work for DC. Anything else? How's the Justice League one?

Keep in mind I have Kingdom Come, Red Son and I cherish New Frontier the way seniors cherish their grandchildren. I also think Gotham by Gaslight is one of the best alternate history type stories ever, and don't really dig the Batman/Dracula stuff.

JSA: The Golden Age. Definitely, without a doubt. I think it's on the same level as New Frontier.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Doom that comes to Gotham is fucken awesome as its batman and lovecraft.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JLA: The Nail / Another Nail.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Wheat Loaf posted:

JLA: The Nail / Another Nail.

I really need to read Another Nail. The Nail was so good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

joehonkie posted:

I really need to read Another Nail. The Nail was so good.

It's not as good as the Nail but it's Alan Davis at the top of his game as an artist and it's worth it for that alone.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Some rec's, in no particular order:

Thrillkiller/Thrillkiller '62
Doom that Came To Gotham
Holy Terror
Superman: Speeding Bullets? I think I liked that one...
Superman: At Earth's End just because it's bonkers
Elseworld's Finest: Supergirl & Batgirl
JLA: Riddle of the Beast
Justice Riders
JSA: The Liberty Files

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

redbackground posted:

Some rec's, in no particular order:

Thrillkiller/Thrillkiller '62
Doom that Came To Gotham
Holy Terror
Superman: Speeding Bullets? I think I liked that one...
Superman: At Earth's End just because it's bonkers
Elseworld's Finest: Supergirl & Batgirl
JLA: Riddle of the Beast
Justice Riders
JSA: The Liberty Files

I assume Holy Terror is the one where Batman's a priest, because otherwise you got some 'splainin to do

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

I assume Holy Terror is the one where Batman's a priest, because otherwise you got some 'splainin to do
Yes, this one.

i mean, the miller book isn't an elseworlds in the first place soooooo

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Any recent or limited Image series one should check out? I read most of the popular ones from a few years ago (Saga, Bitch Planet, Sex Criminals, Deadly Class, etc), but I haven't started anything knew from them in a while and don't know if I've missed something important/popular/buzzworthy/etc. I think Paper Girls is the most recent series I read.

How's Snotgirl? (edit, gently caress it, bought it)

Uthor fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 27, 2017

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

redbackground posted:

Yes, this one.

i mean, the miller book isn't an elseworlds in the first place soooooo

That cover is really something else.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Uthor posted:

Any recent or limited Image series one should check out? I read most of the popular ones from a few years ago (Saga, Bitch Planet, Sex Criminals, Deadly Class, etc), but I haven't started anything knew from them in a while and don't know if I've missed something important/popular/buzzworthy/etc. I think Paper Girls is the most recent series I read.

I liked East of West. Can't tell if it's gonna pay off at the end, too many stories going on. A few of the things are very vague too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

obi_ant posted:

I liked East of West. Can't tell if it's gonna pay off at the end, too many stories going on. A few of the things are very vague too.

I buy everything by Hickman ever since Nightly News. Except, stupidly, his Avengers run. One of these days, I'm going to set aside a month and read it on Marvel Unlimited...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uthor posted:

It has a lot of similarity to BLOM's other work, in that the protagonist is a fairly immature womanchild with a pretty selfish outlook, but so far the story seems to be not... exactly trying to disabuse her of that notion so much as go down a kinda Twin Peaksy rabbithole with a creepy stalker cop who's obsessed with fashion vloggers?

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Uthor posted:

I've been digging Monstress, the timeless story of demonic possession amidst the backdrop of a magical war, in a beautifully illustrated, steampunk-ish setting that reminds me of some of the Final Fantasy games but with a darker, grimier edge. It indulges in some anime tropes (i.e. your cute animal and half-animal sidekicks), but never gets saccharine and really doesn't pull any punches as far as how traumatic war is, which is something you might find it has in common with Saga.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Endless Mike posted:

New X-Men #114-154, Annual 2001 by Grant Morrison and Wolverine and the X-Men vol. 1 #1-42, Annual #1 by Jason Aaron (there's also the Battle of the Atom crossover in here, so you'll need some other things, but it's not a very good crossover, and you won't be missing much by skipping it)

I'm gonna pop back in to say thanks for the recommendation of Quentin Quire comics! New X-Men was pretty good, but now I've read through Wolverine & the X-Men 1-35 and hey, what a fun, satisfying comic. Definitely feeling the QQ love now.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
ComiXology has a Wonder Woman sale going on. What's the best Wonder Woman trades to grab that are worth reading?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Spintzel posted:

ComiXology has a Wonder Woman sale going on. What's the best Wonder Woman trades to grab that are worth reading?

There's a bunch of recommendations on the last 2 pages of the DC thread. One that jumped out was a bundle that had the graphic novel The Hiketia along with the first ten issues of Rucka's run, I haven't read the former, but did dig what I've read of the latter.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Spintzel posted:

Teenage Fansub posted:

You're pretty much golden with anything as long as you avoid:
J. Michael Straczynski's run, Flashpoint, Superman/Wonder Woman (I liked Charles Soule's vol 1-2, but I dunno if anyone else was a fan of that era), and vol 7-9 of the N52 series (when Finch took over from Azzarello.)

I'd say start with the Parez and Rucka collections and then N52 which was great, but a skewed take on her mythology for the rebooted universe.
Can't speak to it, but Legends of Wonder Woman has big fans.
Jill Thompson's 'True Amazon' OGN is stunning.

edit: The 75th Anniversary thing is probably a good sampler. I like the one of those I got for Shazam/Captain Marvel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the Perez and Rucka omnibuses are good bets, as are Legend of Wonder Woman and Sensation Comics.
It's a shame the Rebirth trades aren't in the sale as WW: Year One is a solid version of the origin, but the Perez version still mostly holds up (once you get past George giving himself every excuse to draw naked ladies in chains).

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I'm looking to get into batgirl comics, anything that's a good second step after burnside/rebirth? I liked elseworlds finest, but I like stories where babs is younger. I also read the Stephanie brown books. Anything for her outside her stint as batgirl.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

numerrik posted:

I'm looking to get into batgirl comics, anything that's a good second step after burnside/rebirth? I liked elseworlds finest, but I like stories where babs is younger. I also read the Stephanie brown books. Anything for her outside her stint as batgirl.

It's not Barbara or Stephanie, but Cassandra Cain's solo ongoing is really good stuff

https://www.amazon.com/Batgirl-Vol-1-Silent-Knight/dp/1401266274/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1496207940&sr=1-9&keywords=Batgirl

I don't really know any really good Barbara runs though, so I can't help you there.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

I liked her batwoman run, and that's what I normally read, never through to check her batgirl run.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Thanks goons! I'll look into those!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What are the best volumes of Batman: Black and White?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

What are the best volumes of Batman: Black and White?

I felt they got progressively worse when I read them so I guess just the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I recently finished getting through all 300 issues of Hellblazer and I'm still kind of :psyduck: trying to figure out wtf is going on with "the new 52" and the dc rebirth stuff - I'm at least several years out of date apparently. Can someone point me toward a resource to figure out where to start from here? I'm not hugely focused on Constantine or The Hellblazer I just am interested in figuring out what's going on with this whole rebirth thing and figure someone around here might be able to tell me where to find a decent breakdown of what to get and in what order. THanks

Sorry for the late reply. Hopefully you're still checking the thread.

The order goes: Justice League Dark (2011 magical/supernatural team comic where he's the leader,) Constantine (2013 solo running at the same time as JLD,) Constantine: The Hellblazer (2015 replacement solo comic) and now Hellblazer for Rebirth.

I would only suggest going for Constantine: The Hellblazer. Fun, good writing, great art and it actually used his bisexuality. The main love interest is a bloke the whole run.

The team book has it's moments too. Mostly with Jeff Lemire writing before it gets caught up in crossovers.
Do not bother with the first N52 solo and especially not the current Rebirth volume. No good.