Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

EggsAisle posted:

what the gently caress is "fud" and why are backers so hung up on it?

It's a sales strategy employed to ensure that existing customers don't jump ship to a competing product. It was heavily employed by IBM back in the day, when clones of their mainframes and workstations started to appear and, rather than trying to sell (or… gasp! improve) on their own product, IBM sales people would remind their customers that “oh, but that's such a small and untested company that it'll probably go out of business” or “sure, they're compatible now but will it actually keep up with developments?” and so on. By spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt about those competitors and the long-term reliability and viability of their products, IBM tried to make sure everyone stayed with them, even when there was little real reason to do so.

It may not surprise you that the citizens have fundamentally misunderstood and continuously misuse the term to simply mean “saying scary things about a product.” The fundamental aspects are there: CIG can trivially be accused of not having any long-term viability as a company; it's easy to point to SC and demonstrate that it's not keeping up with development; and the amount of evidence to support the fear that it will never come out is staggering. However, there is no sales pitch; there's no competing product that you should go to instead because of all that; and it's all based on actual past performance, rather than some nebulous assumption about the future, so the whole point of FUD is quite simply missing.

FUD isn't negativity — it's negativity with a purpose and preying on not just ignorance but on the unknowable, which essentially means that the only FUD-like claims we see surrounding this project is when SC is compared to, and is claimed to be poised to beat the snot out of, already released games that will die horribly whenever SC is released so therefore you should back SC rather than those silly losers.

necroid
May 14, 2009

trucutru posted:

Come Wait My Lord!

lmao

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

It's a sales strategy employed to ensure that existing customers don't jump ship to a competing product. It was heavily employed by IBM back in the day, when clones of their mainframes and workstations started to appear and, rather than trying to sell (or… gasp! improve) on their own product, IBM sales people would remind their customers that “oh, but that's such a small and untested company that it'll probably go out of business” or “sure, they're compatible now but will it actually keep up with developments?” and so on. By spreading fear, uncertainty, and doubt about those competitors and the long-term reliability and viability of their products, IBM tried to make sure everyone stayed with them, even when there was little real reason to do so.

It may not surprise you that the citizens have fundamentally misunderstood and continuously misuse the term to simply mean “saying scary things about a product.” The fundamental aspects are there: CIG can trivially be accused of not having any long-term viability as a company; it's easy to point to SC and demonstrate that it's not keeping up with development; and the amount of evidence to support the fear that it will never come out is staggering. However, there is no sales pitch; there's no competing product that you should go to instead because of all that; and it's all based on actual past performance, rather than some nebulous assumption about the future, so the whole point of FUD is quite simply missing.

FUD isn't negativity — it's negativity with a purpose and preying on not just ignorance but on the unknowable, which essentially means that the only FUD-like claims we see surrounding this project is when SC is compared to, and is claimed to be poised to beat the snot out of, already released games that will die horribly whenever SC is released so therefore you should back SC rather than those silly losers.

i just thought he tried to shoot bugs bunny

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
So after having ignored this mess of a project for like 4- 5 months, how often did we have to reset the "days since CIG hosed up" counter to zero? Weekly?
When will be the next big show or convention where Crobbers will show new "ingame"(LOL).avi videos and fake demos? Don't wanna miss the hilarity!

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

I bet the $5 CCU tax is a way to try and re-categorize existing technical debt to a $5.5million asset, perhaps as collateral for a loan.

And lol at any institution that would fall for it.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Mr.PayDay posted:

So after having ignored this mess of a project for like 4- 5 months, how often did we have to reset the "days since CIG hosed up" counter to zero? Weekly?
When will be the next big show or convention where Crobbers will show new "ingame"(LOL).avi videos and fake demos? Don't wanna miss the hilarity!

The answer depends on who you're asking. If you'd ask a "citizen" it wouldn't need to be reset at all. Since Chris Roberts is a perfectionist and won't make mistakes.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.
Meanwhile on :reddit:.....

This guy is reasonable sounding, almost calming. And he's getting voted through the roof. I don't want them to wake up though. Who will carry the torch of mental disorders when they come around???

Not a Sperg on Reddit posted:

Oh my sweet summer child. 3.0 is not going to silence the critics, 3.0 as it gets delayed and trimmed back is going to be gasoline on the flame. It will release and really not be that big of a deal, because the key features that were going to make it so impactful have been pruned and delayed.
It will be a few more bones on the skeleton of a game that is SC Alpha 2.6. But what was promised for 3.0 was flesh on the bones, and that is now simply not going to be true, lobbies will still be limited, the world will still be just one planet and a few moons. This would not be an issue if this was just 2.7, but it's not just 2.7 its 3.0 and 3.0 has been the subject of hype both from the community and the developers for nearly a year now. "3.0 is the patch that is going to prove all the critics wrong!" And its going to be nothing much really, a few more ships, a couple moons and a rudimentary missions and trade system. 3.0 is the patch everyone has been telling everyone to hold out for, 3.0 is the patch that's going to change things. And 3.0 is going to be just another alpha iteration. The letdown is going to be crushing for all the people who only sort of pay attention to the game, and if history is any guide, 3.0 is going to be conveniently delayed until Citcon or some other media/hype related date and, the nothing will be rolled out with great fanfare, silence on the status of SQ42 and of course, a sale! A sale for another big ship, probably its will go on sale slightly before the announcement that Sq42 will not be out in 2017 either and a sheepish deflection of the reality that the actual major content feature of 3.0, the Crusader system, with multiple planets and enough space to get truly lost in won't be coming in 2017 either.

3.0 is not going to silence the critics, it's going to silence even more long suffering defenders of this game who will no longer in good conscience be able to recommend that people buy in. 3.0 is not going to be the beginning of the game, or the beginning end, it's going to be yet another mile marker in development terms and the monotony with which it passes is going be the cue for both another round of media criticism and perhaps the biggest community shitstorm yet. The pot of community patience is beginning to boil over, everyone knows it, and when it's made clear that yet again the hype is hollow and there is no substance people are going to be intensely disappointed.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

trucutru posted:

Every 2-3 weeks a new schedule pushing everything back 2-3 weeks is uploaded, this is good for SC.

I just pray none of those employees are regular bike riders :ohdear:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

EggsAisle posted:

Facts U Dislike

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Reminder.

This was "accidentally" put in a build of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr-I8XIAj8I

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Reminder.

CCP>CIG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEgUL_QrNtI

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
What is CCU?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Thanks for that. To be honest not sure these kind of vids show that EVE is one of the most unforgiving, steepest learning curve, unmerciful, cuththroat games out there. But it is cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXKVnXFQuUA

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Sillybones posted:

What is CCU?

Coronary Care Unit

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Golli posted:

I bet the $5 CCU tax is a way to try and re-categorize existing technical debt to a $5.5million asset, perhaps as collateral for a loan.

They floated the idea of this before but backed away from it when even Citizens weren't stupid enough to believe that a simple database transaction cost $5.

Link to old thread when we discussed it.

I think it's a great idea, if Citizens are stupid enough to pay $5 each time they change from not owning concept artwork of one ship to not owning concept art of another one, you could argue they sort of deserve to be scammed like this.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

I don't understand CCU enough to comprehend how sad this is.

Scruffpuff posted:

It's a cross-chassis upgrade ticket that gives you the flexibility to swap out your poo poo Mustang* for a totally pimp Mustang* with racing stripes and an automated dildo with <USE> functionality and all you have to pay for is the difference in price.

*Game does not exist.

A zero-dollar CCU lets you swap between ships of equal value.

This is a feature that any other game would consider something you could just build into the game and it be a feature. CIG built it with future monetization in mind. And as with most things Roberts related, the future is now! It'll now cost $5 for a ticket, which means you can bet your bottom, your middle, and most of your top dollars that CIG is about to release a flurry of concept ships that are identical to every ship they have currently, but with one distinguishing feature that spergs crave, wringing that extra $5 - multiplied not by every backer, but by every ship.

CIG is like a loving glossary of confidence scam techniques.

CCU is $5 you give CIG that lets you upgrade your ship, just to get the honor of paying them the difference in ship prices.
Its incredible how intricate their site shop mechanics work, meanwhile actual game mechanics get added once in a blue moon and break horribly.

https://twitter.com/Toshi_TNE/status/863118949235519488

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Golli posted:

Subprime pledging. Hey Lehman Brothers did.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Imagine if a game store made nerds pay $5 a time to trade Pokemon cards.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Virtual Captain posted:

CCU is $5 you give CIG that lets you upgrade your ship, just to get the honor of paying them the difference in ship prices.
Its incredible how intricate their site shop mechanics work, meanwhile actual game mechanics get added once in a blue moon and break horribly.

It's more accurate to say change your ship. The early digital freelancer, hornet, cutlass packages were all $110, the boxed game versions of the same packages $140. So anyone with a standard Cutlass, Freelancer or Hornet has been able to switch between them for free using CCU's priced at $0.

Now each time they switch it costs them $5.

It's yet another sign they are desperate for money, it looks like this ship sale next week is yet another military one they'll be hoping to make 2.5 million on or so. Are Citizens dumb enough to fall for it again? The answer every time has been yes. Moma even bought the last ship whatever the hell it was called and you'd assume with him posting here he'd be wise enough to know better.

But super rare, limited edition, must buy, can't miss out.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Virtual Captain posted:

I don't understand CCU enough to comprehend how sad this is.

https://twitter.com/Toshi_TNE/status/863118949235519488

My attempt at understanding: You pay $5 to be allowed to buy ship skins? Then you still need to actually go and buy the ship skins. And you lose your old skin when you switch?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/WilliamMesilane/status/863339873356337153

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Sillybones posted:

My attempt at understanding: You pay $5 to be allowed to buy ship skins? Then you still need to actually go and buy the ship skins. And you lose your old skin when you switch?

No ship skins are seperate, they don't work anyway.

This is changing the ship you "own" to a different ship by a token thing you buy on their website.

These ships are same price, so ccu token upgrade was free.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/863228179175092224

:lesnick: doesn't know wtf because nobody tells him anything anymore.

But at least he knows the end is coming I think.

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/863228537305653248

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

EggsAisle posted:

gently caress U Derek

As you may know, many of them are very keen to talk about his privates.

I believe they wish to ineveitable consicate of piracy him.

God speed Derek.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNJKHiu2mcg

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

AP posted:

Moma even bought the last ship whatever the hell it was called and you'd assume with him posting here he'd be wise enough to know better.

That is because MoMA is Toast, you silly goose. As a poxy paralegal there, he has a vested interest.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MedicineHut posted:

That is because MoMA is Toast, you silly goose. As a poxy paralegal there, he has a vested interest.

I don't think anyone in the actual know have bought even one tiny $120 ship since like 2015

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I don't think anyone in the actual know have bought even one tiny $120 ship since like 2015

Poxy paralegals are not really in the know. Dont underestimate Toast / CIG ability to screw up. Also, his actual lists of ships is probably as clearcut as CIG´s tracker.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GhandiSardiner/status/863365592698564612

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Imagine how fast you can go with those nipple jets!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

happyhippy posted:

Imagine how fast you can go with those nipple jets!

Zoom! Whoosh! Neeeaaauuuugghhhh! Jiggle!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Honestly CIG not giving a gently caress about what ships people buy regardless of how it fucks up the game makes a lot of sense if you think of it as an excuse to make more money later in the name of balance.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
https://twitter.com/GhandiSardiner/status/863373588761587712

:sandance: #worththewait :sandance: #actress

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Thoatse posted:

female model is in... I'm sure Sandi had nothing to do with the art direction

the crowd goes mild

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6au2dn/female_character_model/

wow shitizens are railing on that pic. chrobs is going to scream himself hoarse at some poor intern

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am at Paradox Convention and both Paradox and Frontier are using Star Citizen as a joke.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am at Paradox Convention and both Paradox and Frontier are using Star Citizen as a joke.

Please post pics or say what they are sayin

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
What's wrong with having Susan Sarandon in the game ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Liu posted:

I'm sure he'll get unbanned if he wants, reddit won't even ban literal facist hate speech so I doubt they'd ban someone for criticizing a scam game. If he lies and says he got banned because he pissed off SJWs I'm sure the reddit admins will be tripping over themselves to unban him.

Yeah, it appears as if those rear end-clowns mass reported him and so he was auto-banned by a bot. I emailed him last night via Lockbin to let him know. I will post when I hear back.

The curious case of OldSchoolCmdr