Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If a safe has a code and belongs to a person, you can usually logically find it by looking through the person's emails or finding their body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Ending chat:

Anyone else notice this at the very end of the game? Looks like it's another glimpse of operators. https://youtu.be/uEHJvCOLgmA?t=19m2s
stillframe of it: http://imgur.com/a/a7IAO

No Alex, and the monitoring screens are all smashed.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 13, 2017

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Iron Rose posted:

Ending chat:

Anyone else notice this at the very end of the game? Looks like it's another glimpse of operators. https://youtu.be/uEHJvCOLgmA?t=19m2s
stillframe of it: http://imgur.com/a/a7IAO

No Alex, and the monitoring screens are all smashed.

It's just the game deciding what ending you're gonna get and loading the final series of animations, probably. It does the same before you turn around the first time.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CJacobs posted:

It's just the game deciding what ending you're gonna get and loading the final series of animations, probably. It does the same before you turn around the first time.

This is after the psychopath check that prompts "start again," and occurs as you see what happened to earth. After that it's just the choice of whether you want to kill them all or take Alex's hand, no?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Iron Rose posted:

This is after the psychopath check that prompts "start again," and occurs as you see what happened to earth. After that it's just the choice of whether you want to kill them all or take Alex's hand, no?

Yes, but it's presumably segmented for each thing that happens. You being judged -> You being turned around -> You being turned back around -> The ending choice are all different animations that have to be loaded in. Again, it happens multiple times during the end sequence but that video is only in 30fps so it doesn't catch all of them.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Does the nightmare hunt you aggressively if you use Typhon powers a lot? I just finished an all-human playthrough on Hard, and only ran into it a few times, and even when I got its attention, I could more or less run away and hide round a corner without it being able to find me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I found my first Nighmare as it spawned right in front of me.
I don't think it got a chance to attack because I instantly popped a Combat Focus 3 and killed it with a max upgraded shotgun.

That was a bit anticlimactic.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Jack Trades posted:

I found my first Nighmare as it spawned right in front of me.
I don't think it got a chance to attack because I instantly popped a Combat Focus 3 and killed it with a max upgraded shotgun.

That was a bit anticlimactic.

What they should have done imo is dynamically scale the Nightmare's stats based on the player's current 'power level'. Got a bunch of upgrades to combat power/weapon damage/etc? Bump that thing up a notch. Someone doing a no power run or nothing that useful against the big bad? Have it at default.

I still think it's crazy that one can basically 3-shot the Technomancer (i forget the real name) with a max upgraded shock pistol.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Gadzuko posted:

There are three total books, and there's a lot of context clues that pin it down (I think). Here's what I've got: There's a loading screen hint which references the Evacuation as leading to a reform in the usage of recyclers, which implies that it was indeed some kind of grey goo incident. The dog's name in the first book is Aleeza which the author translates to "Joy", google says it could be either Hebrew or Arabic but the Hebrew specifically says Joy. The author mentions compulsory military service and drives a M35 truck in the story. Based on the Hebrew, the conscription, and the M35 (US military model truck), I'm going to say it happened in Israel. I think that Transtar North was a different thing, because that would be a weird name for an Israeli facility, but who knows.

edit: oh and there are bomb shelters in the city, which is another Israeli thing.

And Elazar is a Hebrew name. Theory checks out!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Evacuation and Ending Chat Since the whole thing is a sim to test a typhon/human hybrid, is it possible the Evacuation is the Typhon invasion of Earth that was implanted into the sim? The data on it is super vague and I don't remember if there's any dates on any of the text or audio logs

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Antti posted:

And Elazar is a Hebrew name. Theory checks out!

Her real first name, Sarai, is also Hebrew.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Evacuation and Ending Chat Since the whole thing is a sim to test a typhon/human hybrid, is it possible the Evacuation is the Typhon invasion of Earth that was implanted into the sim? The data on it is super vague and I don't remember if there's any dates on any of the text or audio logs

Sarah was a veteran of the Evacuation and it's discussed during her psych evals, so it happened before the Talos 1 incident.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Do we really need to spoiler evacuation discussion? It's like 3 whole text files, a mention in an audio log and some lore in a loading screen.

That said I did get the impression that it's the recycler tech running rampant. What I'm confused about is how the response seemed to involve attacking it with weaponry, how does that help with a deconstruction field running rampant?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Luminaflare posted:

Do we really need to spoiler evacuation discussion? It's like 3 whole text files, a mention in an audio log and some lore in a loading screen.

That said I did get the impression that it's the recycler tech running rampant. What I'm confused about is how the response seemed to involve attacking it with weaponry, how does that help with a deconstruction field running rampant?

I'm not going to spoiler since it's all speculation anyway. The weapons use confuses me too, but the third book flat out says it was a science experiment gone wrong. Maybe a rogue AI deconstructing things? The army just being dumb and dropping bombs on gray goo?

Come to think of it, that setting would make for a good DLC.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Gadzuko posted:

I'm not going to spoiler since it's all speculation anyway. The weapons use confuses me too, but the third book flat out says it was a science experiment gone wrong. Maybe a rogue AI deconstructing things? The army just being dumb and dropping bombs on gray goo?

Come to think of it, that setting would make for a good DLC.

It might be that recycler machines are 'new' and previously it was done through operators or something.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I found the second and third evacuation books but I never found the first. Where is it?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Is it possible to save December by killing January beforehand?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kurzon posted:

Is it possible to save December by killing January beforehand?

Yes. December becomes your new plot guidance after that, though much less talkative. You also can kill them both if you want to completely eliminate your plot guidance help for some reason.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

alphabettitouretti posted:

My inventory no longer auto stacks spare parts. Anyone else experiencing this? Inv management is a chore at the best of times but it's even more tiresome now.
I think it doesn't properly stack things you gained from Necropsy or Dismantle when looting a corpse.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

alphabettitouretti posted:

My inventory no longer auto stacks spare parts. Anyone else experiencing this? Inv management is a chore at the best of times but it's even more tiresome now.

You know that you can auto-sort your inventory with a button (Y on keyboard), right? That stacks all the things as well.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Highlight of last night: "pff this bitch-rear end Nightmare can't even go through doors oh god it can go through doors run"

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Is there any way to tell if you have the new patch? Switching from beta branch to live didn't cause an update. Reloading steam did nothing, integrity check turns out fine. Did they just declare the beta stable and move it to live?

I still have the issue and when I went "gently caress it" and started a new game. My game just froze 5 minutes in. This is the only game I have problems with. Everything is up to date I'm not quite sure what else I can do. :sigh:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mindblast posted:

Is there any way to tell if you have the new patch? Switching from beta branch to live didn't cause an update. Reloading steam did nothing, integrity check turns out fine. Did they just declare the beta stable and move it to live?

I still have the issue and when I went "gently caress it" and started a new game. My game just froze 5 minutes in. This is the only game I have problems with. Everything is up to date I'm not quite sure what else I can do. :sigh:

The game should have a "beta branch" added to the name in the steam library if it is switched over.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The "beta" patch has already released.

If you're passing the integrity check in any way then you have the latest patch.

Alternatively in the game folder you can open Game.log and check for "buildtime=[May 9 2017 16:37:11]"

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I didn't read the patch notes, but with the exception of the shotgun, it's cheaper to make the weapon itself because you'll get the ammo AND you'll get a spare you can recycle. And usually the plan to make a weapon is cheaper than the ammo plan

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lakbay posted:

I didn't read the patch notes, but with the exception of the shotgun, it's cheaper to make the weapon itself because you'll get the ammo AND you'll get a spare you can recycle. And usually the plan to make a weapon is cheaper than the ammo plan

Which weapons is it true for because out of all the weapon fabrication plans all of them cost more than the ammo.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Oh I should've looked harder, pistol and stun gun are cheaper to make than their ammo. Q-beam costs the same amount as its ammo

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Is it possible to read all emails and transcribes without getting Typhon skills? After someone mentioned using mimic to access some rooms, I realized there are some which don't have any way in outside of that.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
How do you open Dr Calvino's secret stash? An email talks about a 170 coffee mug and a scale programmed to send a signal when 170g is applied to it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kurzon posted:

How do you open Dr Calvino's secret stash? An email talks about a 170 coffee mug and a scale programmed to send a signal when 170g is applied to it.

Find his mug! Also, to quote the phantoms, what do you see in the Glass?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I looked for his thermos and couldn't find that either.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Going back a very long way, but I wonder if the obscure and subversive way of playing that one of the developers was talking about is to say "OK, I am a Typhon" and play like that - take only Typhon powers and kill all humans/friendly operators while sparing all Typhons you encounter. Would probably be pretty difficult, but should be doable especially on lower difficulties.

Also, doing a pure Typhon playthrough is kind of frustrating because you lose out on the ability to expand your psi pool, inventory, and suit/psychoscope slot count. It seems like those abilities should've been put in a separate neutral skill tree.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I was trying to 100% the game in my latest playthrough but I went Typhon powers only and it looks like it's not possible. There's quite a few computers I haven't been able to access and corpses that I needed repair to get to. I'm hoping new game plus is released soon so I can cheese another playthrough.

Question though: what's the deal with key pads that have all Xs instead of numbers? Is there anyway to get into these? I think hacking still works but it doesn't look like you can use the key code anymore.

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (

LemonDrizzle posted:

Also, doing a pure Typhon playthrough is kind of frustrating because you lose out on the ability to expand your psi pool, inventory, and suit/psychoscope slot count. It seems like those abilities should've been put in a separate neutral skill tree.

Yea seriously. The small inventory is the worst.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Find his mug! Also, to quote the phantoms, what do you see in the Glass?

The phantoms quote things that haven't been said yet by people that they haven't even kill or phamtomized, and thats a bit freaky.

n4 posted:

Yea seriously. The small inventory is the worst.

Only a truly advanced human has the mental acuity to realize that zipper opens an extra pocket.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 13, 2017

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I really like this game but the combat is the absolute worst part. I'm not even remotely spooked by the enemies despite the atrocious sound design *BWAMP*ing with the force of a goddamn orchestra whenever I get looked at so I generally conserve ammo by beating them with wrenches despite them wonkily flailing around me and occasionally throwing out a half-hearted slap like I'm not swinging for the fences in their face with a piece of construction equipment.

The sound design loving sucks as well. Like, normally I don't pick nits but in this case... its a real issue, it loving sucks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kurzon posted:

It isn't a coffee up, it's a red thermos. That is what got me the first time around.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I did have a laugh at one bit though reading a log in which an engineer tech plugged a mimic pretending to be a resistor rack into a high energy device and it loving melted

Apparently mimics were showing up way before things went to poo poo and barely anyone noticed. Just a couple notes to the effect of 'stop duping dumb poo poo' and 'huh weird two teddies'

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Jan posted:

Is it possible to read all emails and transcribes without getting Typhon skills? After someone mentioned using mimic to access some rooms, I realized there are some which don't have any way in outside of that.

There are exactly 2 rooms with Mimic only access. One is a Medbay with no info in it near the Magnetosphere. The other is Mikhalia's Room in Crew Quarters. Her terminal emails can all be found by reading them off the terminals of people she sent them too.

Also Typhon powers clicked for me when I realized I didn't need guns because they were worthless anyway. Clearing your inventory of all the guns/not caring about picking things up for recycle made it work quite well.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

n4 posted:

I was trying to 100% the game in my latest playthrough but I went Typhon powers only and it looks like it's not possible. There's quite a few computers I haven't been able to access and corpses that I needed repair to get to. I'm hoping new game plus is released soon so I can cheese another playthrough.

Question though: what's the deal with key pads that have all Xs instead of numbers? Is there anyway to get into these? I think hacking still works but it doesn't look like you can use the key code anymore.

It's definitely not possible. One of the side quests requires repair to get to a broken satellite.

edit: And before I forget again

Mimir posted:

Okay I'm done, I've gotta return this Redbox, and I have a few questions . These might've been explained but if so I totally missed it.

- The shuttle leaving the station mentioned seeing both a military vessel (the security guy) and a "large black unidentified object" IIRC - what was that about?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

That's interesting about the unidentified object. Maybe someone else will know.

Cicadalek posted:

Oh and someone was asking about easter eggs on the moon. I definitely saw at one point a grid of lights on the dark side, like there was a big formation of structures. There is also a log somewhere from a shuttle pilot that mentions seeing a mysterious structure, but I don't know if that's meant to be on the moon or some secret listening post in space.

Pretty sure that's the Argus station where Dahl comes from.

Luminaflare fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 13, 2017