Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Ok EKs are going live for real v. soon: https://crowfall.com/en/news/eternally-yours-ek-parcel-placement/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
EKs are open for pre-alpha 1 & 2, and you can invite people to yours while it's up this week. They're still working out all the weird technical bullshit from updating unity to 5.5 so not sure I'd recommend playing.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is game dead?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Naw but it's been hardcore hosed since the 5.5 upgrade. Test two weeks ago had to be closed to just PVE and this weekend it was cancelled altogether because of serious bugs.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

They have been making a bit of progress, but testing it stopped being fun for the moment so I would give it a while.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I'm keeping an eye on this.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Worth noting that they've been focusing almost entirely on building (which is good because that poo poo's gotta get done before they can nuke the spirit bank from orbit & make the game fun again) and disciplines (which look cool). There's been zero visible progress on disciplines yet, but building actually seems like it's real neat atm so if you're Pre-Alpha 2 or better you can play with that now. Most of us won't be in the building test until Alpha 3 tho.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
In fact, hey, here's the State Of This Game:

The game isn't a game, and it's not even fun to test, due to 3 things:

1) The Performance/Stability Is hosed

There's huge lag spikes & framerate & crash problems all over the loving place, it's terrible. About two months back, they started trying to deal with this. They removed all monsters from the game, and then started dealing with the remaining issues. They did a great job with this and we had about two weeks where the game wasn't physically painful to play, so they put monsters back in & the game went to poo poo again, but they were working on that too.

Then, Unity announced 5.6 was coming out, which probably meant they were dropping enterprise support for 5.3, the version crowfall was on, because every unity 5.3 game upgraded to 5.5 at the exact same time, in the two weeks before 5.6 came out. So all the work on performance and stability went into the upgrade, and now it's going into fixing how literally everything in the game broke at the same time after the upgrade. This is being actively worked on.

2) The Balance Is hosed

They regularly do some spot improvements on things that are Too hosed Up (especially on the Templar, who's new) but basically they've written this off until all the serious bugs impacting stat calculations are fixed and also disciplines are released. They're actively making things worse because the designers need to test discipline ideas so they'll gently caress with random abilities every weekend so they can see how stuff feels in a live test. This is probably not going to be fixed until at least a month after disciplines are out because they don't want to balance stuff just to rebalance stuff when they release a thing that redoes everyone's abilities.

3) There's No Risk

People can just stow their poo poo in an unlootable spirit bank with no warning, which loving sucks. This isn't going to be fixed until they have the campaign import/export mechanic put in, which requires EKs to be functioning, the ability to build buildings, etc. They're actively working on those mechanics now.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

30.5 Days posted:

There's huge lag spikes & framerate & crash problems all over the loving place, it's terrible. About two months back, they started trying to deal with this. They removed all monsters from the game, and then started dealing with the remaining issues. They did a great job with this and we had about two weeks where the game wasn't physically painful to play, so they put monsters back in & the game went to poo poo again, but they were working on that too.

Then, Unity announced 5.6 was coming out, which probably meant they were dropping enterprise support for 5.3, the version crowfall was on, because every unity 5.3 game upgraded to 5.5 at the exact same time, in the two weeks before 5.6 came out. So all the work on performance and stability went into the upgrade, and now it's going into fixing how literally everything in the game broke at the same time after the upgrade. This is being actively worked on.

2) The Balance Is hosed

They regularly do some spot improvements on things that are Too hosed Up (especially on the Templar, who's new) but basically they've written this off until all the serious bugs impacting stat calculations are fixed and also disciplines are released. They're actively making things worse because the designers need to test discipline ideas so they'll gently caress with random abilities every weekend so they can see how stuff feels in a live test. This is probably not going to be fixed until at least a month after disciplines are out because they don't want to balance stuff just to rebalance stuff when they release a thing that redoes everyone's abilities.

3) There's No Risk

People can just stow their poo poo in an unlootable spirit bank with no warning, which loving sucks. This isn't going to be fixed until they have the campaign import/export mechanic put in, which requires EKs to be functioning, the ability to build buildings, etc. They're actively working on those mechanics now.

Is this still an accurate state of the game? Per the schedule, it looked like there were several playtests recently and I'd like to jump in if there's a working product.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
So an alpha game in alpha. Gotcha.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I posted that 3 weeks ago, so, no, they haven't optimized the entire game and implemented a series of massive features since then. In that time, unity stuff being super broke has cancelled 2 of the 3 weekend tests. I think they're just about through all the new stuff that the 5.5 upgrade introduced and they're hyping some massive Friday announcement that they claim will change everything. So we'll see what that is.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

they're hyping some massive Friday announcement that they claim will change everything. So we'll see what that is.

Is it "We're switching to Amazon Lumberyard" a la Star Citizen?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

30.5 Days posted:

they're hyping some massive Friday announcement that they claim will change everything. So we'll see what that is.

I can't wait for it to be that they're going back to Kickstarter in order to make things more awesome

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I want to buy a spaceship in Crowfall and then sell it for a used car

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Capntastic posted:

I want to buy a spaceship in Crowfall and then sell it for a used car

jpgs of space ships are highly valued and worth the price of a used car. :anime:

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Doggir posted:

jpgs of space ships are highly valued and worth the price of a used car. :anime:

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/i-sold-my-star-citizen-fleet-to-finance-a-new-car

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They keep posting "teasers" which mainly consist of art of archetypes holding weapons those archetypes don't usually hold so it might be that disciplines are done soon

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

Is this still an accurate state of the game? Per the schedule, it looked like there were several playtests recently and I'd like to jump in if there's a working product.

This is not a working product, it's still considered pre alpha as far as i know. You can jump in and do stuff but there is no point or purpose to any of it yet.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

That will never get old capn :cheers:

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The big announcement is Tuesday, the weekend test patch notes are pretty scanty, likely indicating (A) the big workload from 5.5 is pretty much done, and (B) most of the work this week went into whatever they're announcing.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I'd be shocked if it wasn't disciplines.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

malhavok posted:

I'd be shocked if it wasn't disciplines.

If they're pumping it up this much then major disciplines have to be done too, which means thralls I guess?

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
What are disciplines, thralls, etc.?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ashrik posted:

What are disciplines, thralls, etc.?

Disciplines are extra ability and trait packages like adding archery or some other focus to customise your character

Thralls are worker minions I think?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They're spirits you can capture in soul stones, and can be used for all kinds of things. You'll later be able to make items much better by trapping thralls in them, you need thralls to work your factories or whatever, and major disciplines are made by trapping thralls in some runes.

The big thing about disciplines is that weapon runes & major runes modify your available abilities so you can create builds. Weapon runes will also allow you to equip different weapons than the one your archetype is entitled to by default.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

SweetBro posted:

So an alpha game in alpha. Gotcha.

In fairness it sounds like shadowbane at release.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

30.5 Days posted:

2) The Balance Is hosed

3) There's No Risk

Do you see potential for the game? Do you regret backing the game? What is your opinion on the current pricing for parcels, forts, etc...
I'm just curious, thanks in advanced.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Blackdog420 posted:

Do you see potential for the game? Do you regret backing the game? What is your opinion on the current pricing for parcels, forts, etc...

Yes, no, and I don't care because I just bought in at the $60 (now $70) level. I'm really negative on the game in this thread because I don't really want anyone to have buyers' remorse, but I am actually really excited about it. I'm a terrible judge of video games, though, I put like 100 hours into SotA.

The microtransaction poo poo is really only there for epeen stuff, and some small amount of time-saving. The campaign benefits of having a baller EK are pretty small, it seems like, and by grouping up with your fellow goons, you can just hang out in the EK of some clown who spent way too much cash instead of having to spend that cash for yourself, if it comes to that. 6 months into the game, well-stocked EKs are going to be dime a dozen.

As far as the potential for the game, or whether I regret backing, the thing to keep in mind about the game is, we're paying to play during a period of time when even standard-issue early access bicycle fires would be hesitant to charge. If that's something that turns you off, don't do it. At this point, the "instant access" basic package costs more than the final price of the completed game, and the "eventual access" lowest-price package is only $10 off the completed product. You are getting literally no benefit from buying in now except getting to see the garbage-rear end unfinished game. It's interesting & it feeds my hype, but it's not like fun or anything. And the final game could absolutely be extremely bad, I see the shape of something really great, but this subforum is a monument to wasted potential (both in the thread topics and the posters themselves) so who the gently caress knows?

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Blackdog420 posted:

I definitely see potential for the game and a while back when big worlds was first launched we had a lot of fun before they added spirit banks.

And as long as that poo poo is for cosmetic erp castles Im fine with it + you should be able to make them yourself free.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

30.5 Days posted:

As far as the potential for the game, or whether I regret backing, the thing to keep in mind about the game is, we're paying to play during a period of time when even standard-issue early access bicycle fires would be hesitant to charge

Yeah, there's really nothing to judge yet. If Artcraft delivers on their vision it could be pretty cool but at this point all of the interesting systems that could make for a fun game are NYI or completely barebones.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
OK, announcement day:

- They are getting rid of the archetype system and there will now be classes and races, like a regular MMO. They are getting rid of the forgemaster class & renaming "legionnaire" to "cleric" but other than that, all the former archetypes have a class and race represented. Each race can play 3 or 4 different classes, with most having 3. Should allow some pretty decent customization since base vessel stats are based on race and some passives & abilities (like guinecean burrow) come from race, but most basic abilities come from your class. This isn't in yet and probably won't be done until sometime this summer.
- Disciplines are out! Not sure if thralls are. This weekend, we will have 35 major disciplines, 16 weapon disciplines, and 40 minor disciplines. This is supposed to be ready this weekend.
- They rewrote the renderer! Looks like it's got deferred rendering & all that high tech poo poo so it might not run like rear end. This is supposed to be ready this weekend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9C1yDfF0U

https://crowfall.com/en/news/massive-reveal-day-is-here/

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 16, 2017

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Interesting. I wonder if the engine changes will improve performance, as I feel like most of the issues are in the net code.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Hahaha after like a year of hyping up the archetype system being a focal point of how the game works they're trashing it? How is this gonna effect the whole "crow into a new body" side of things?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

mightygerm posted:

Interesting. I wonder if the engine changes will improve performance, as I feel like most of the issues are in the net code.

It depends what you're doing and what kind of computer you're on. The game does a good job of indicating server issues in the net vs. message latency, but FPS does drop for people with too much on screen at once these days (like in large-scale PVP), or even sometimes if you have too many items in the UI. I'm pretty sure moving over to 5.5's rendering stuff will improve that a lot.

Capntastic posted:

Hahaha after like a year of hyping up the archetype system being a focal point of how the game works they're trashing it? How is this gonna effect the whole "crow into a new body" side of things?

Your vessel will have both a class and a race. The free vessel UI will get more complicated. Archetype skills will become class skills & you get access to those skills regardless of your race.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Capntastic posted:

Did they ever really hype up the actual idea of archetypes? It was more the disciplines that were the important part and like, actual abilities/design. At any rate, they mention in the vid that it was more of a cost-saving thing early on and apparently they've done well enough with funding that they had the opportunity to shift gears with it and took it.

I'm glad for it because I'd much rather have some choice with races than have to be locked in. I hope the graphics overhaul and Unity upgrade will get things running more smoothly too, as that's been my primary gripe every time I've done a test.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I like the old system from the TF2 design perspective. Each class should have a unique silhouette and be rapidly recognizable.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

cathead posted:

Did they ever really hype up the actual idea of archetypes? It was more the disciplines that were the important part and like, actual abilities/design. At any rate, they mention in the vid that it was more of a cost-saving thing early on and apparently they've done well enough with funding that they had the opportunity to shift gears with it and took it.

I'm glad for it because I'd much rather have some choice with races than have to be locked in. I hope the graphics overhaul and Unity upgrade will get things running more smoothly too, as that's been my primary gripe every time I've done a test.

Archtypes were never hyped as a "feature" they were always a budgetary measure due to lack of funds to do art and animations for a wide variety of race/class combinations. I don't see how it was in any way the focal point of how the game worked. gently caress them for keeping duelist as guinea pig only though, drat it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Looks like thralls aren't in & all the recipes are temporary single-ore poo poo. Changing vessels currently destroys disciplines.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

30.5 Days posted:

deferred rendering

When SB released one of the ways to get playable framerates was to turn off so much that the game was hordes of torsos running around. "Deferred" rendering old school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Announcement looks fun and good; also I think capn was thinking about vessels which are still there just more customizable. I can make mah centaur archer now.