Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

jabby posted:

BBC news just went to Jeremy Corbyn's comment on the cyber attacks. They played the part where he condemned the attackers and cut away the second before he launched an attack on Hunt and the government for letting it happen.

gently caress's sake.

at least they didn't include the bit at the end where he clarified that if any of the patients involved were soldiers then that was okay because he wishes them to die, he wishes them all dead, and then began cackling with glee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

jabby posted:

BBC news just went to Jeremy Corbyn's comment on the cyber attacks. They played the part where he condemned the attackers and cut away the second before he launched an attack on Hunt and the government for letting it happen.

gently caress's sake.

No you see the BBC has a left wing bias because

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Scikar posted:

No, they should develop their own EHR system (or at least, the state should) so that they aren't reliant on a 15 year desktop OS to run their outdated software package.

Fun fact: the reason XP is still hanging around is because you have poo poo like X-Ray machines that are computer controlled, the software to operate them only works on XP, and the company that produced it went bust years ago. But the source code is proprietary so you can't fix it to work with a modern OS yourself and you have to replace the entire machine instead, even though all of the hardware is perfectly fine and you budgeted the costs for its expected 15 year lifespan.

If that software is produced by the state, or commissioned by the state with a license that includes full rights to the source code, this problem doesn't happen.

The government was going to force every government department to use open source software, but that mysteriously went away just as they signed a new contract with MS. Nothing at all dodgy about that, we live in a completely corruption free country and not one that has been described as the 'most corrupt place on Earth'.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

ukle posted:

Ohh FFS. Just found out my area is one where the Lib Dems and Greens have colluded, and despite the Lib Dem's being second in every election bar 2015 they aren't going to stand in the 2017 election. It makes no sense and completely blows my intention to tactically vote Lib Dem.

Skipton? They've abandoned a punt at one of the safest Tory seats to get the greens off he ticket in Harrogate, where they have a better chance cause its on of the few Yorkshire boroughs that went remain and they used to hold the seat.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Another poll, fieldwork done day before/day of the manifesto leak so unlikely to take account of any impact.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/863385528938500097

haakman
May 5, 2011

Alchenar posted:

There's a range of competing products at decent prices that all work.

That market is working just fine here. The problem is the state deciding not to pay what it costs for the solution it wants.

Please, tell me more about the 'market'.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cerv posted:

but if they dropped the income tax plan on the UK party's say so, that'd take them back to the "branch office of London" criticism.

It's a Westminster election. Whether or not ScotLab are a branch office or not doesn't matter, Edinburgh doesn't decide national policy.

If Scottish Labour want to disaffiliate from the Labour Party and go the way of the SDLP, as a sister party, do that. But until they do, they don't get to direct their own policies at Westminster.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
East Timor strikes me as one of the less defensible interventions, oddly enough, because so much of it is transparently about Australia's regional imperialism vs Indonesia's regional imperialism. The former has the notable benefit of being less genocidal than the latter, but Good Leftists don't normally approve of armed intervention merely on that basis.

the main difference between Indonesia's armed annexation of Netherlands New Guinea in 1962 and Indonesia's armed annexation of East Timor in 1975 is that Indonesia annexed the former as a Soviet-aligned state and annexed the latter as a American-aligned state; thus the former is anticolonial liberation and the latter is imperialism masquerading as anticolonial liberation

ronya fucked around with this message at 14:44 on May 13, 2017

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Cerv posted:

but if they dropped the income tax plan on the UK party's say so, that'd take them back to the "branch office of London" criticism.

It's a Westminster election. Whether or not ScotLab are a branch office or not doesn't matter, Edinburgh doesn't decide national policy.

If Scottish Labour want to disaffiliate from the Labour Party and go the way of the SDLP, as a sister party, do that. But until they do, they don't get to direct their own policies at Westminster.

Alchenar posted:

That market is working just fine here.

The Labour moderate ladies & gentlemen. Nothing is more sacrosanct than the glorious market.

I preferred when Labour was driven by Christianity than free market fundamentalism to be honest.

ronya posted:

East Timor strikes me as one of the less defensible interventions, oddly enough, because so much of it is transparently about Australia's regional imperialism vs Indonesia's regional imperialism. The former has the notable benefit of being less genocidal than the latter, but Good Leftists don't normally approve of armed intervention merely on that basis.

the main difference between Indonesia's armed annexation of Netherlands New Guinea in 1962 and Indonesia's armed annexation of East Timor in 1975 is that Indonesia annexed the former as a Soviet-aligned state and annexed the latter as a American-aligned state; thus the former is anticolonial liberation and the latter is imperialism masquerading as anticolonial liberation

You don't understand the left at all, do you?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
not really I just have Opinions on South East Asian cold war politics that I like to witter on about

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
the fact that whatshisname made a stand approving of Australian warships steaming into East Timor whilst loudly condemning Bosnia also annoys me a lot

not so much that I can place his name offhand, but still

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

kustomkarkommando posted:

Skipton? They've abandoned a punt at one of the safest Tory seats to get the greens off he ticket in Harrogate, where they have a better chance cause its on of the few Yorkshire boroughs that went remain and they used to hold the seat.

Yes. Its why I am annoyed, we are the pawns for Lib Dem's bigger game. They were probably going to come second in both seats, but now they will come second in just 1 as despite Harrogate going remain they stand almost no chance in hell of winning the seat now.

While in Skipton they stood no chance of winning but they would have been the second largest, as they almost always were. Now its going to be Labour in second place, as per 2015, but there is no chance in hell of Labour ever winning this seat despite it being where a few of the founders of Labour were from. While the guy who is standing for the greens seems from the good side of the party and a good candidate (formal local college deputy principle) I just cant vote for a party that has such complete bat poo poo insane policies as the Greens now have and I expect many others round here to feel the same.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/863306085477662720

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ukle posted:

Yes. Its why I am annoyed, we are the pawns for Lib Dem's bigger game. They were probably going to come second in both seats, but now they will come second in just 1 as despite Harrogate going remain they stand almost no chance in hell of winning the seat now.

While in Skipton they stood no chance of winning but they would have been the second largest, as they almost always were. Now its going to be Labour in second place, as per 2015, but there is no chance in hell of Labour ever winning this seat despite it being where a few of the founders of Labour were from. While the guy who is standing for the greens seems from the good side of the party and a good candidate (formal local college deputy principle) I just cant vote for a party that has such complete bat poo poo insane policies as the Greens now have and I expect many others round here to feel the same.

It doesn't really matter who comes in second in FPTP though?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

forkboy84 posted:

It's that Dugdale's position though? She says Scottish Labour would raise the 1p in the Scottish parliament. But in the Westminster parliament their MP(s) will follow the nations party manifesto and not raise taxes for income under £80k

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

ukle posted:

Why do you think the Lib Dems would go back to coming second? Most signs point to this election going the same way as 2015 for them, or possibly even worse.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Coming second is important in deciding a future pact probably, cause the only chance of Skipton not being blue is if every other party agrees on one candidate

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Wasn't this ransomware basically just a general virus that happened to infect some NHS computers due to them being very out of date? The amount of damage that someone could do with a directed attack on the NHS, either to steal sensitive data or by intentionally shutting down hospitals until a ransom is paid is truly terrifying.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Wasn't this ransomware basically just a general virus that happened to infect some NHS computers due to them being very out of date? The amount of damage that someone could do with a directed attack on the NHS, either to steal sensitive data or by intentionally shutting down hospitals until a ransom is paid is truly terrifying.

But enough about the conservatives.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

ronya posted:

How do we feel about the Konfrontasi?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Amber Rudd has responded to Labour's accusations on the NHS.

The Guardian posted:

And in a final swipe against Labour, she said: “Should you have any concerns about the security of the Labour Party’s own systems, GCHQ stand ready to provide a briefing on how best to minimise the risk of a successful attack.”

What kind of burn is that?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

jabby posted:

Amber Rudd has responded to Labour's accusations on the NHS.

What kind of burn is that?

I don't understand what she's actually trying to say.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
Maybe she's doing a Trump "I've got the tapes" style thing and threatening Labour that GCHQ has penetrated their systems and shut up or we release everything :shrug:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Praseodymi posted:

Have we talked about this loving disgusting piece from the Scum? https://twitter.com/therubykid/status/863331572010897408
Shameful 1945 Franco-British Vietnam War Erasure right there

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Did some campaigning this morning in a Labour leaning area. Quite a few I spoke to were already voting Labour and there were lots of cars honking at the banner, but there was a fair share of people who wouldn't talk, but it's hard to know whether that was because they were voting for someone else or they didn't care about politics. A fair number of people saying they weren't voting Labour because of Corbyn, but also several saying they were voting for the local candidate anyway.

Quite a few voters generally for whom Brexit transcended usual party lines; they want a hard Brexit and are prepared to switch their voting to make sure they get it - 'standing up to Brussels' or 'fighting against Europe' came up a bit. One angry Brexiteer (stereotypical human thumb) had voted Labour all his life, but wasn't going to this time, because Corbyn "doesn't have the loving balls to stick two fingers up at Brussels" so I guess he was going UKIP or the Conservatives. There's a lot of people who have bought the 'us vs them' rhetoric on Europe sadly.

Praseodymi posted:

Have we talked about this loving disgusting piece from the Scum? https://twitter.com/therubykid/status/863331572010897408

gently caress me. That is such a bizarre article.

Such a misleading piece also, in that Palestine, Malaya, Berlin and Yangtze all happened before he was born. The entire first column happened before he was 18.

Biggus Dickus posted:

They are stored encrypted rather than hashed because websites expect them in plain text. All browsers do this.

Isn't the difference that Chrome doesn't offer encryption of its password database with a master password?

Regarde Aduck posted:

The few times i've been to hospital the medical staff were all lovely but the reception staff treated everyone like scum and were always in foul moods.

This is some sort of universal law of medicine.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Prince John posted:

This is some sort of universal law of medicine.

I've seen the exact opposite a few times.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Prince John posted:

Such a misleading piece also, in that Palestine, Malaya, Berlin and Yangtze all happened before he was born. The entire first column happened before he was 18.
Listen mate you either support the sacrifices made for Said bin Tamur against the Jebali scum, or you're a poofter, how hard is this to understand innit

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

jBrereton posted:

How do we feel about the Konfrontasi?

It was a much nearer thing than is conventionally realised. I'm not sure Harold Wilson would really have been prepared to endure what could have been a horribly murderous land war in Borneo. The problem was that 1962 had given Jakarta the impression that 1) it was really, really easy to play the US against the European powers, and 2) it was really, really easy to intimidate collapsing European powers into peacefully giving up by marching some troops around, and 3) the Soviets would be willing to back him up with actual men on the ground. Arguably none of this was true by 1965, but Sukarno could hardly deny the increasingly restive PKI anyway. Thus the entire region was blindly hurtling toward the biggest British build-up outside the West German border in Europe itself, stacked against tens of thousands of Indonesian troops.

In the meanwhile Malaysia itself was disintegrating under ethnic pressures. It did not seem that this British-invented federation would last much longer than the one of Rhodesia and Nyasaland, which was itself violently collapsing, in a way that Britain was publicly refusing to fight. But Britain actually was pouring soldiers into Borneo. Britain let Rhodesia and Nyasaland disintegrate for different reasons (cough the spectre of a Tory government sending British troops to shoot white people cough), but not reasons that Jakarta could readily grasp - from Jakarta's perspective Britain was plainly signalling that its commitment was nominal at best.

ronya fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 13, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

big scary monsters posted:

Also Microsoft have taken the unusual step of releasing the Windows XP patch for this vulnerability publicly, for free. So I guess actually the cost of solving the NHS' IT problems is £0!

Yeah I was gonna say, apparently XP was vulnerable to this after all

Microsoft posted:

We also know that some of our customers are running versions of Windows that no longer receive mainstream support. That means those customers will not have received the above mentioned Security Update released in March. Given the potential impact to customers and their businesses, we made the decision to make the Security Update for platforms in custom support only, Windows XP, Windows 8, and Windows Server 2003, broadly available for download (see links below).

XP wasn't mentioned as affected on the advisories when the exploit was released, but it looks like that was more of a 'gently caress it, who cares XP is dead' position. Microsoft probably patched it for all their special support customers back in March, which doesn't include the NHS anymore of course. Taste those efficiency savings

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

What in the gently caress.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jeremy Hunt.
Champion of Nurgle.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

On a day that should be a gift to Labour, the second biggest news item is Tom Watson basically admitting defeat in the election.

I predict a lot more acts of self-sabotage in the next few weeks, as the Labour right realise that 'letting Corbyn fail on his own' is actually leading to steadily rising poll numbers.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
It doesn't seem like that big a news story tbh, especially compared to Hunt being completely AWOL during the NHS hack.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Jeremy Hunt.
Champion of Nurgle.

I wonder which form of shrubbery he's hiding behind at this moment in time.
Regardless of the final outcome of the election, I pray to loving god he's not re-elected.

jabby posted:

On a day that should be a gift to Labour, the second biggest news item is Tom Watson basically admitting defeat in the election.

Déjà vu.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It doesn't seem like that big a news story tbh, especially compared to Hunt being completely AWOL during the NHS hack.

At the moment, but I'll be damned if he doesn't try to keep it in the news. At least until Hunt appears and offers some banal remark placing the blame on the service itself.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 13, 2017

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

I predict a lot more acts of self-sabotage in the next few weeks, as the Labour right realise that 'letting Corbyn fail on his own' is actually leading to steadily rising poll numbers.
I do not understand why the moronic collective of Tom Watson, Ken Livingstone and Tony B aren't out of the party yet tbh

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

jBrereton posted:

I do not understand why the moronic collective of Tom Watson, Ken Livingstone and Tony B aren't out of the party yet tbh

Would certainly be something, kicking the Deputy Leader out of the party

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

jBrereton posted:

Tony Benn is dead

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Let's leave the whole politics thing out of the way for a sec, I have a really important question: do you have normal hot dogs here in the UK? All I've seen so far is these massive "posh dogs" and sausages. I guess what I want is "american style"?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
What, frankfurters? Go buy em in the supermarket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pochoclo posted:

Let's leave the whole politics thing out of the way for a sec, I have a really important question: do you have normal hot dogs here in the UK? All I've seen so far is these massive "posh dogs" and sausages. I guess what I want is "american style"?

you can find deep friend hot dogs in scotland

• Locked thread