Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Unrelatedly, does anyone make cold-war era poles and czechslovaks? PSC's T-55 kit makes polish- and czech-suitable tanks, but I'm not aware of any infantry manufacturers for the period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone have any comments on the quality of GHQ models? Looking at their Soviet and PRC modern stuff in particular for some hot sweaty cold war action.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Flipswitch posted:

Anyone have any comments on the quality of GHQ models? Looking at their Soviet and PRC modern stuff in particular for some hot sweaty cold war action.

GHQ is good poo poo

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm lookin at pics and it is loving awesome.

No idea what ruleset we're gonna play though, but that's never stopped me throwing money at goony poo poo.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I just wrapped up a bunch of 6mm and yes, GHQ is worth the money. I got some Heroic & Ros as well and not only did it take forever to get to me, the difference in quality of the sculpts were plain to see. I mean at that scale from a foot away it's negligable but when you're paiting them up you'll marvel at the detail GHQ packs in there, especially the infantry. My only complaint with them isn't the price, it's that they don't break packages. So I hope you really need 5 M109s!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH at 6mm I can't really see the point in GHQ. I'm not going to paint most of this detail anyway, so why bother having it?

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

To ogle your jewel-like objects of wonder, of course

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Grey Hunter, in your big goon FNG LP, how did you create high level stuff with full platoons like the helicopter recovery mission? I just bought the rules PDF and it doesn't have much beyond the squad level, unless I missed something major while skimming it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arquinsiel posted:

TBH at 6mm I can't really see the point in GHQ. I'm not going to paint most of this detail anyway, so why bother having it?

You can see it. Do some highlighting and the extra detail pops out.

I assume that at 6mm you're starting dark and working up to brighter shades.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mllaneza posted:

You can see it. Do some highlighting and the extra detail pops out.

I assume that at 6mm you're starting dark and working up to brighter shades.
What I mean is for vehicles at least there shouldn't actually be that dramatic a colour difference at that scale, and camo patterns will hide that anyway so why even bother? I'm very much taking a cartoonish approach to these because it's way too much effort to spend on making a sea of vague green look slightly more varied. The infantry is a different story, for the Soviets at least. For the British I'm doing it will likely be impossible to pick out anything other than "face, gun... boots?" what with DPM effectively just looking black at the "distance" you see the mans at.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I dunno, I'm forever fascinated by the amount of detail in GHQ. It really shows when you pick up the model. Meanwhile, some Scotia stuff can basically be roughly cut out of a bar of soap for all the detail they have.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I guess the question is how often you're that close to a 6mm model.

Also I've discovered that the czechs apparently used a very similar uniform to the soviets in the 1980s. For the poles I'm having very little luck; I can find 1960s uniforms but nothing specifically for the 1980s (the polish people's army info that google prioritises seems to focus on their WW2 incarnation). Was it just the 1960s uniform up until the end of communism?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I should be done editing our second episode of our podcast, combined arms podcast, this weekend.

http://combinedarms.podomatic.com/

We talked about sharp practice and were really lucky to grab it interview with Rich Clarke of tfl. Put it in your iTunes or RSS podcast app so you can grab it as soon as it's uploaded :-)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Jaguars! posted:

Grey Hunter, in your big goon FNG LP, how did you create high level stuff with full platoons like the helicopter recovery mission? I just bought the rules PDF and it doesn't have much beyond the squad level, unless I missed something major while skimming it.

You need the free pdf - which I'm going to link to save you three hours of hunting it down.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4a693n94o0psbb/FNG2T-freebie-platoonMissions.pdf?dl=0

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Tonight is kickstarter night, and especially for our future Italian Wars/Renaissance/Fantasy-ish games.

First, a new Kensei kickstarter. They're making a new version of their army game (with a skirmish game coming soon in English, currently only published in Spanish)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1372111648/kensei-samurai-tabletop-wargame/comments

On top of that, who can resist undead Renaissance armies?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/23535743/renaissance-skeleton-army-28mm-miniatures-for-game?ref=nav_search

I might end up getting the Kensei one, if only to bulk out my samurai armies. Those miniatures are really impressive in person, with great details.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Grey Hunter posted:

You need the free pdf - which I'm going to link to save you three hours of hunting it down.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o4a693n94o0psbb/FNG2T-freebie-platoonMissions.pdf?dl=0

Thanks, very much appreciated! Of course there's no clue this exists on the company website.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

muggins posted:

I should be done editing our second episode of our podcast, combined arms podcast, this weekend.

http://combinedarms.podomatic.com/

We talked about sharp practice and were really lucky to grab it interview with Rich Clarke of tfl. Put it in your iTunes or RSS podcast app so you can grab it as soon as it's uploaded :-)

I just finished listening to the first episode, and I liked it a bunch overall. I looked into the pirate game that you guys talked about, and drat a game with 28mm ships looks incredible.

Going to have to get some of that.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I just finished listening to the first episode, and I liked it a bunch overall. I looked into the pirate game that you guys talked about, and drat a game with 28mm ships looks incredible.

Going to have to get some of that.

Thanks! Blood and Plunder IS REALLY FUCKIN COOL.

They're doing another kickstarter in June for some ships and Danish dudes.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

muggins posted:

Thanks! Blood and Plunder IS REALLY FUCKIN COOL.

They're doing another kickstarter in June for some ships and Danish dudes.

Was very close to backing the KS for that, but I've had poo poo luck with gaming kickstarters so I didn't bother :smith:

Do you have naval/land combat at the same time in B+P?

I'll listen to your podcast whilst I paint my ACW dudes.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

BeigeJacket posted:

Was very close to backing the KS for that, but I've had poo poo luck with gaming kickstarters so I didn't bother :smith:

Do you have naval/land combat at the same time in B+P?

I'll listen to your podcast whilst I paint my ACW dudes.

You can do naval, naval / land (landing assault basically) and land. They actually delivered on time with quality products. You can buy it retail now.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Does anyone make a Barmaley Fountain terrain piece in 28/32mm?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Yip

https://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=581

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Perfect

That's exactly what I need as the centerpiece to my World War II: The Movie: The Game table. I probably don't want to know how much it'll cost to get over here in the US in spite of needing it desperately.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

We played our first Saga game this weekend, then we played our second one pretty much immediately afterwards because it's really good.

I'm really impressed. I was skeptical at first by the simple rules, and the fact that there are pretty much only 4 units in the game - But all of that plays so well with the activation system and different abilities. We only had two starter pack forces, and even with a handful of miniatures on each side, the game was deep and tense, but still flowed wonderfully.

It's really neat how, even though both sides have the same units, the abilities make the game hugely asymmetrical.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's all about the battle boards man. That's the beauty of the system.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm looking at those GHQ models (particular the jets), seeing that they're more or less about the same scale as X-Wing, and now I'm wondering why nobody's hacked that into Ace Combat: The Miniatures Game.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm looking at those GHQ models (particular the jets), seeing that they're more or less about the same scale as X-Wing, and now I'm wondering why nobody's hacked that into Ace Combat: The Miniatures Game.
That is an awesome idea

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Flipswitch posted:

That is an awesome idea

I know, right? You have a bunch of different planes, unique aces (and you can even use some of the different squadrons for the generics) and clearly defined factions (although most of those named squadrons/pilots are the enemy).

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

My first Saga guy, a Danish huskarl. His name is Jens.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Yvonmukluk posted:

Probably licencing issues. It'd be easy enough to work it out for yourself though if you really wanted to do it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Arquinsiel posted:

Probably licencing issues. It'd be easy enough to work it out for yourself though if you really wanted to do it.

Oh, I wasn't expecting an official thing, but I'm surprised nobody has done an unofficial one before now.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Geisladisk posted:

My first Saga guy, a Danish huskarl. His name is Jens.

Looks great!

I really should get back to painting my Saga/Blood Eagle dudes.

Blood Eagle is a great stopover on the way to Saga since you only need around 4-8 dudes.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Oh, I wasn't expecting an official thing, but I'm surprised nobody has done an unofficial one before now.

4chan recommends, Check Your Six Jet Age, Air War C21 or Mercenary Air Squadron. Someone supposedly had the idea to crib X-Wing. Also, I've read at least one post of Lacquered Coffins homebrewed into Jet Age.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JcDent posted:

4chan recommends, Check Your Six Jet Age, Air War C21 or Mercenary Air Squadron. Someone supposedly had the idea to crib X-Wing. Also, I've read at least one post of Lacquered Coffins homebrewed into Jet Age.

Do any of those of those have the same 'pick up and play' that an X-Wing hack would? Most historical games tend towards the grog, wile X-Wing you get everything you need from the cards.

Then again, you'd need to adapt it for not having shields (maybe represent that as chaff?) and figure out how to align the different factions as well as come up with pilot abilities for all the aces.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Do any of those of those have the same 'pick up and play' that an X-Wing hack would? Most historical games tend towards the grog, wile X-Wing you get everything you need from the cards.

Then again, you'd need to adapt it for not having shields (maybe represent that as chaff?) and figure out how to align the different factions as well as come up with pilot abilities for all the aces.

Looks like you already know what you need to do! Eagerly waiting for monthly updates.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
X-Wing is itself a Wings of War adaptation, and it's been used by GW as Aeronautica Imperialis too, so just look at them for how they handle stuff with no shields.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JcDent posted:

Looks like you already know what you need to do! Eagerly waiting for monthly updates.

Yeahhh...I'm probably not the guy to do this sort of thing.

I don't really know enough about game design, modern jets, or Ace Combat to make this happen.

A goon can dream, though...a goon can dream.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
After reading all this I grabbed a notepad and thought "yes, I will do this" (I really like the idea of shields as countermeasures/some kind of "luck" stat for your pilots), and then realised I'd probably do as good a job of differentiating different jet fighters as Flames of War / Team Yankee does at representing different nations' armies.

If I was a bigger plane nerd and actually knew anything about the differences in handling and capabilities between planes I'd definitely give it a shot.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I haven't played X-Wing, but I do have a fair number of resources on aircraft. If anybody here wants to handle mechanics, I can provide technical research.

Mostly because Ace Combat Table Jets is something I've wanted for a long long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think the main problem is that in X-Wing the mechanics don't really incentivise use of missiles, while IRL missiles are pretty drat important. Really shields are nowhere near so big a problem as that.