Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i have discovered a number of secrets t hat are cool in strafe. the first one is more of a game mechanic that i was too dumb to pick up on.

- the wide boxes of scrap that you shoot to open can be shot again and again to spray out more scrap until they empty. I did not know this and its a huge source of scrap.

The next one is kind of a secret, but its right at the start, and it gives you an alternative gameplay style. Its a literal game changer.

-You can skip picking up a gun at the start and go through the teleporter. this lets you use your fists, but if you look at the dead guy under the icarus sign he has a wrench lodged in his head. You can pick it up and use it and it lets you reflect bullets and replaces all the upgrade items in the game with health. Its really neat.

This one is an easter egg that gets you some loot.

-If you pick a gun at the start you can shoot the dead guy under the icarus sign, he explodes and gives you a coin. Theres an arcade machine on the next floor that accepts the coin and lets you play a minigame thats a neat tribute to two other games.

Theres also some stuff I'm trying to figure out.

-Theres a little ghost drone thing that looks like airbud in the second zone. I don't know what it does, if it guides you to secrets or what.

-Theres a games console in one of the interstitial areas between levels in zone 2. Its got no battery but I assume you can find it.

- Theres a more mundane secret which is that some floors have a door that needs a severed head to open. But one time I went to the next floor, and there was a door that needed a different head from the previous floor. It was a non-crucial door so Im guessing it was a secret.

- Sometimes you can shoot little panels on the wall in area 1, or glowing rocks on the wall in area 2, which will open up a wall somewhere with health or armour inside. I don't know what the equivalent is in zone 3 or 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Zaphod42 posted:

The Q3 sorlag had male pronouns

The actual paper manual refers to Sorlag as "her"

E: also I was hoping for Hunter, I always thought she had a pretty cool design

LvK fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 13, 2017

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

LvK posted:

The actual paper manual refers to Sorlag as "her"

E: also I was hoping for Hunter, I always thought she had a pretty cool design

The bot also had gender set as female so that the other bots referred to her properly in their trashtalk.

It was pretty crazy how much effort the Quake 3 bots had put into their chat system. The bots weren't super amazing but there was a lot of stuff you could alter about them in plain text files so I spent some time back in the day tinkering with them.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

So while Visor in QC can Strafe jump he doesn't seem to have any air control which I guess is what Anarki's passive is? Also what did they change in the patch today? It feels laggy and off compared to last weekend. Lots of rubberbanding and getting killed around corners

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 13, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BattleMaster posted:

It was pretty crazy how much effort the Quake 3 bots had put into their chat system. The bots weren't super amazing but there was a lot of stuff you could alter about them in plain text files so I spent some time back in the day tinkering with them.

Your female parental unit!

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Dr. VooDoo posted:

So while Visor in QC can Strafe jump he doesn't seem to have any air control which I guess is what Anarki's passive is? Also what did they change in the patch today? It feels laggy and off compared to last weekend. Lots of rubberbanding and getting killed around corners

correct, Anarki is the only one so far with full air control

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Bought Strafe, died three times on 1-3, here are my impressions so far:

- The GUI is loving abysmal. There are no words on anything in your HUD so good luck figuring out what the hell you're picking up. No indication on what weapons I'm holding either. The map is also worse than useless, it's hard to parse and your movement is messed up while using it so you can't even use it to easily backtrack through the level. And it doesn't show you where the health machine is or anything useful like that.
- The monster closets can suck my rear end, enemies are always attacking you from behind and there's no indication that they're there since they're super quiet and the closets seem to open completely randomly.
- Why is this game so goddamn stingy with health? The movement is actually pretty good in this game but every point of damage matters so the best way to play is to carefully camp around corners and funnel enemies into hallways to avoid getting hit rather than moving fast and jumping a lot (also fall damage, because gently caress you I guess).
- Soundtrack is crazy good. The level generator is not bad. In three deaths I have already seen rooms repeated but the way they're stitched together is actually pretty robust. However I keep dying in the early game and the early game is so ugly to look at!!
- Buying armor seems to be a complete newbie trap? I spent all my scrap on a big armor upgrade only to go down an elevator and get hit twice because there were two enemies right at the bottom I couldn't possibly avoid, and that armor was immediately lost.
- Map secrets are, uh, pretty secret! Apparently I found one at one point but I have no idea where it was or how I found it.

I don't want to refund it because I believe it can get better, the game isn't fundamentally flawed or anything, but there's a lot of annoying bullcrap in this game so far and a lot of little kinks that need to get ironed out. As far as roguelite FPS goes it's still probably the best but the bar is so fuckin' low that doesn't mean anything.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Bought Strafe, died three times on 1-3, here are my impressions so far:

- The GUI is loving abysmal. There are no words on anything in your HUD so good luck figuring out what the hell you're picking up. No indication on what weapons I'm holding either. The map is also worse than useless, it's hard to parse and your movement is messed up while using it so you can't even use it to easily backtrack through the level. And it doesn't show you where the health machine is or anything useful like that.
- The monster closets can suck my rear end, enemies are always attacking you from behind and there's no indication that they're there since they're super quiet and the closets seem to open completely randomly.
- Why is this game so goddamn stingy with health? The movement is actually pretty good in this game but every point of damage matters so the best way to play is to carefully camp around corners and funnel enemies into hallways to avoid getting hit rather than moving fast and jumping a lot (also fall damage, because gently caress you I guess).
- Soundtrack is crazy good. The level generator is not bad. In three deaths I have already seen rooms repeated but the way they're stitched together is actually pretty robust. However I keep dying in the early game and the early game is so ugly to look at!!
- Buying armor seems to be a complete newbie trap? I spent all my scrap on a big armor upgrade only to go down an elevator and get hit twice because there were two enemies right at the bottom I couldn't possibly avoid, and that armor was immediately lost.
- Map secrets are, uh, pretty secret! Apparently I found one at one point but I have no idea where it was or how I found it.

I don't want to refund it because I believe it can get better, the game isn't fundamentally flawed or anything, but there's a lot of annoying bullcrap in this game so far and a lot of little kinks that need to get ironed out. As far as roguelite FPS goes it's still probably the best but the bar is so fuckin' low that doesn't mean anything.

I thought the armour was a newbie trap until I found out you can keep shooting the big boxes of scrap and they'll spray scrap till they're empty. Its a huge boost and makes the armour stuff way more affordable.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

correct, Anarki is the only one so far with full air control
If by "full air control" you mean CPM style air control then yeah. Otherwise characters have normal strafe jumping but with different max speeds.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Is it worth it to play Soldier of Fortune nowadays? I was watching Gggmanlives' reviews of the first and second game, and I'm interested in trying the first one (the second one sounds pretty frustrating). It doesn't look you can buy it digitally (probably because a lot of Raven Software's stuff is in limbo because of Activision).

The first is an arcadey shooter with some fun guns (particularly the microwave laser thing) and cool level design. The violence is pretty tame these days but I'd say it's worth it. Google for the Community Edition if you want to play now though, as it includes a tonne of fixes including native widescreen, Anti Aliasing, etc.

The second game is really fun but quite different - it's much more 'realistic' in terms of gun feel and movement, and it's a bit less polished altogether as I think Raven were concentrating more on Jedi Knight II. Still, it's worth a playthrough - but I'd say turn on God mode for the Colombia jungle missions as the AI is completely broken on it and will murder you in a second from a mile away. Also there is a widescreen fix on WSGF to stop the HUD disappearing in widescreen ratios (if it's gone then PM me and I'll send you a link). I think that Youtube guy actually went back to SoF2 a few years later and admitted he completely shat all over the game somewhat unfairly, as it's no fun if you play it like SoF1 but actually quite good on its own terms.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I never knew Rogue Warrior had a pc release. I might chase that down, if only to listen to Mickey Rourke swear like a 13 year old.

Limp dick Commie motherfucker

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Should I give Strafe a try or wait for a sale? £15 isn't that bad for a new game, to be fair.

The 90s thing is just a thin veneer of aesthetics on top of a generic roguelite FPS and it commits most of the mistakes that other roguelite FPSes commit, so I'd avoid it for now. The devs have at least showed they're listening to complaints with the patch they put out this week, so give it a few more months to see if they patch it some more.

The one thing it does really well is having fake bunnyhopping that feels fun to use, although the first world is all narrow corridors and small rooms, making it very hard to actually use that.

The Jack Chop Guy
Mar 31, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I forgot to put my nicotine patch on and rage-refunded strafe. Honestly after watching that Aussie guy's video review someone posted I feel pretty good about my decision.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Say all the crap you want about Strafe... that trailer was amazing. It's a shame that it took up so much of their budget, but I'm more than glad that it exists.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Lemon-Lime posted:

The one thing it does really well is having fake bunnyhopping that feels fun to use, although the first world is all narrow corridors and small rooms, making it very hard to actually use that.

Yeah that was a big mistake. I did make it to the second world which is a lot of open spaces and ledges to jump to and the movement felt genuinely really good. Definitely the game's strongest suit right now.

The game isn't bad but it's wonky. Honestly if enemies dropped health and ammo that disappeared like in Ziggurat the game would be so much more fun. You'd get rewarded for playing aggressively and punished less for small mistakes.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 13, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Wait I thought they put out a patch to fix the upgrade descriptions not showing in STRAFE? I haven't tried it myself again to see.

But yeah monsters aggroing across a level and just gangbanging you at the bottom of an elevator is bullshit and one of the many rough edges that game has. No amount of Git Gud can overcome a janky game.

e: I'm really having fun with Quake Champions though

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Yodzilla posted:

Wait I thought they put out a patch to fix the upgrade descriptions not showing in STRAFE? I haven't tried it myself again to see.
Yeah, when you put your crosshair on them in shops a little box appears in the top-right of your screen.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

But yeah monsters aggroing across a level and just gangbanging you at the bottom of an elevator is bullshit and one of the many rough edges that game has. No amount of Git Gud can overcome a janky game.

e: I'm really having fun with Quake Champions though

They patched the description bug and decreased how far the enemies can activate on you in the first patch so both those things aren't an issue anymore at least

Quake Champions is pretty drat fun and the downtime between matches, at least for me, has gone way down the past few days. I usually am able to find a match in ten to forty seconds compared to closed beta which could take up to two minutes

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Yodzilla posted:

Upgrades in the shop show descriptions but the little upgrade machines that change your gun don't. They have an icon but I don't know what that means, and it's hard to tell how exactly your gun is changed.

I wish there was a way to see what weapons were in your inventory, and I wish there was a way to change weapons other than scrolling, because if I want to use the rocket launcher to clear a room I don't want to have to scroll past all the other crap first.

The feedback for floor damage effects sucks, and there's a lot of poo poo that can damage you. Little fires and acid and all that stuff. I took a bunch of damage in a seemingly empty room and died to "GOD." What the gently caress does that mean?

What surprises me is that the one thing everyone itt was worried about they actually did a good job on, but all the basic roguelite poo poo they completely fumbled.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
How the gently caress does jank like shop descriptions not displaying and enemies aggroing in the next zip code make it to release? Stuff like that seems like the type of problem that would have been noted and corrected if the playtest base was larger than like two guys.

I feel like Strafe was delayed for a long time, but the parts of it that I've played so far feel exactly like the public alpha that was put out over a year ago. When Strafe missed its March release date, I commented in this thread that I felt it was positive that the devs were taking the time they needed to get the game ready instead of selling it in early access for two years as is the custom today. But now I think Strafe should have been opened up to its audience (who I thought was us) at a much earlier stage so we could have all said in unison "This is horseshit" and maybe allow the development to course correct a lil bit.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The post launch thing from STRAFE is people saying "it's supposed to be a first person rogue-lite not a classic FPS." If that's true then....where the hell is the build variety? Roguelikes live and die by each run being fun and different and as far as I can tell in STRAFE:

- there's about 10 non-starter guns that are always the same
- there's less than a dozen things you can buy from the shop and most are barely useful. Double jump and a jetpack in a game with zero verticality! Great!
- the three starter weapons have about six upgrades each but you can only have two at a time and some of them are worthless

Like there's just none of the interplaying of interesting buffs and abilities that good roguelikes have so why would anyone play it more than once?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Does Strafe have any unlockables? Stuff that carries over between playthroughs or whathaveyou? I would have thought that unlocking more starting weapons would've been a really logical thing to include but maybe it's just not that kind of game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

CJacobs posted:

Does Strafe have any unlockables? Stuff that carries over between playthroughs or whathaveyou? I would have thought that unlocking more starting weapons would've been a really logical thing to include but maybe it's just not that kind of game.

It does not, which I think is kind of weird because it has two different currencies (scrap and credits). I was assuming one would be for per-run purchases and one would be for unlockables and the like, as in Enter the Gungeon, but nope. I don't think that's the end of the world since Ziggurat has a ton of unlockables and yet every character plays pretty much the same since it's an FPS.

The game definitely needs more stuff though.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Is there hope for the game if it got a pretty major update/DLC? People seemed to be saying the last patch got rid of a large number of problems.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

They patched the description bug and decreased how far the enemies can activate on you in the first patch so both those things aren't an issue anymore at least

Quake Champions is pretty drat fun and the downtime between matches, at least for me, has gone way down the past few days. I usually am able to find a match in ten to forty seconds compared to closed beta which could take up to two minutes

It still feels long for me compared to quake live. Like when the match ends I don't care if I lost or won, I'm still sad I need to start a new game. Maybe cause I'm playing on my MacBook Pro is what frustrates me.

Should we get a quake live/quake champions thread going?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

I remember the Soldier of Fortune games being okay but also pretty rote and basic once you got past the over the top gore. The multiplayer in SoF2 was fun as hell though. The mission generator was ambitious but always felt flat.

Whatever you do don't waste any time tracking down and/or playing the third Soldier of Fortune. Holy poo poo is that an Activion Value rear end game

It's been over a decade since I've played either game, but I was a pretty big fan of the first one. It tries to take itself serious, but the main villain is ridiculous and, because of the age of the Quake II engine, the dismemberment engine actual makes the game over-the-top and hilarious. I especially remember the shotgun being way over-powered, and it would just rip dudes apart.

The second game on the other hand...

The Multiplayer, at the time, was really good. I played a lot of it and it was innovative, fast paced, and fun for a tactical action game pre-call of duty. It's the single player where it falls apart. I stated the first game tried to take itself serious, but due to the nature of the Quake II engine, it really prevented it from doing so, to the games benefit. However the Quake III Team Arena engine really let Raven delve fully into trying to make a serious, realistic game. For the most part, they failed. The first level is fun. I remember it takes place in the Columbia Jungle and you have AI that fights along side you, but it falls apart after that. I don't remember much about the game, because as I've stated its been over a decade and I never finished it, so perhaps I am being unfair. I just remember being bored, the story is boring, and this was the era where Raven really wanted forced stealth for some stupid reason.

Infact since it is so hard for me to describe, I'll let these gameplay videos show what I mean:

Solider of Fortune 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1leRZfJko8

Notice how John Mullins is just running around blowing dudes away with the shotgun. The death animations are exaggerated, and overall you feel like a stone-cold badass. Also note how fast-paced the game is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrQjD8AaHcY

This is Soldier of Fortune II. The game is much slower, methodical, and dull. Enemies just kind of...fall over when you shoot them. Boring. Also when the dismemberment mod does take effect it makes the deaths more unsettling than fun like in the first game.

*edit*
Writing this post really makes me nostalgic for the first SOF. I wish I could remember what the hell happened to my copy, as the game is not in Steam or GOG. :(

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 13, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

khwarezm posted:

Is there hope for the game if it got a pretty major update/DLC? People seemed to be saying the last patch got rid of a large number of problems.

Sure? Enter the Gungeon was miserably un-fun to play at launch but they released a lot of patches, including a free huge content patch that fixed a lot of it up.

I wonder if roguelites kinda by their nature need to have a lot of big tweaks and adjustments as the game goes on. Gungeon is a game that has always been really tightly designed, so it's not like they were lazy in their testing, but until you go live there's no way to get mass feedback from a million playthroughs to see what stuff is annoying to the public and what isn't.

The question is if the Strafe guys are willing to work with the players or if they're going to stick to their guns. They eased up on world 1 like two days after launch so that's a good sign, but the game's still not quite there yet.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 13, 2017

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Social Animal posted:

It still feels long for me compared to quake live. Like when the match ends I don't care if I lost or won, I'm still sad I need to start a new game. Maybe cause I'm playing on my MacBook Pro is what frustrates me.

Should we get a quake live/quake champions thread going?

I bit the bullet for you: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820344

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I really want to try Strafe but looking at the issues and that they're patching it, it's safe to wait a few months. I hope they keep supporting it.

The Jack Chop Guy
Mar 31, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
After reading about the feedback I feel bad about refunding. Will steam allow me to purchase it again if I decide to?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The Jack Chop Guy posted:

After reading about the feedback I feel bad about refunding. Will steam allow me to purchase it again if I decide to?

Yep.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Jack Chop Guy posted:

If I remember right, you can purchase again after refunding, but then you won't be able to get another refund if you decided it was a bad decision to buy it again.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Im having fun with strafe and they've put out two patches in like two days that make some fairly major and good changes. They're definitely listening to feedback.

also I found this last night, just in a random room that spawned that I hadn't seen before:

it gives the game the superhot mechanic for as long as you have ammo for the gun.

The Jack Chop Guy
Mar 31, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

fishmech posted:

If I remember right, you can purchase again after refunding, but then you won't be able to get another refund if you decided it was a bad decision to buy it again.

Fair nuf

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

Im having fun with strafe and they've put out two patches in like two days that make some fairly major and good changes. They're definitely listening to feedback.

also I found this last night, just in a random room that spawned that I hadn't seen before:

it gives the game the superhot mechanic for as long as you have ammo for the gun.

How on earth do you find secrets anyway?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

How on earth do you find secrets anyway?

Ive been really bad at it so far, I listed a couple in a post at the top of this page, but the main like regular style secret Ive found is there are circuit panels high up on the walls sometimes and if you shoot them they open up a room with health or armour in.

Also the wrench is a surprisingly fun playstyle.

Most of the 'professional' reviews of this game read like the reviewer never got past the first zone, which is bad for strafe because the first zone is the least good.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Yesss thank you sir.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I was playing the murderzone mode in Strafe, when a weird thing happened.

I was running around trying to find a door to the next room before the timer ran out, when I ran through a door with just starry space through it. I fell "out of the world", then got teleported to a deliberately-glitched version of the store from the main campaign.

When I left, I fell out of the world again, with my height resetting after falling a certain distance, so I could navigate back into a room. But the room didn't "clear" when I killed all the monsters and the only exit was another starry void that was solid and not walk-throughable. So I killed myself and the stats screen said my session lasted for -44 seconds. :confused: Which glitches were intentional, and which weren't?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The glitched store is intentional, the score isn't I'm guessing. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Writing this post really makes me nostalgic for the first SOF. I wish I could remember what the hell happened to my copy, as the game is not in Steam or GOG. :(

If you're not shooting every enemy in the dick, then you are playing SOF wrong.