Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain
Disagree, loud intermittent popping on right channel when I received it. After a week the right channel stopped working altogether. To be honest I feel like the seller knew the right channel was failing.

If the seller refuses to take a return I'll move on though, I'm not going to try and take down his ebay business or mess with his rating*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

evobatman posted:

I finally got around to getting a new belt and refurbished cartridge for this turntable. The cart cost me $230 in parts, labor and import taxes even after trading in two broken carts!

I run it through a NAD PP2e phono preamp via a custom made wiring harness that maintains the datalink connection, so I can actually skip songs on my turntable with the remote control!

The sound quality is incredible, but I have put so much money into it that I don't think I can hang on to it.

I just picked up the TX2 version of this table, which they made with standard RCA connections instead of the proprietary stuff. It doesn't have track skip capability, but it's got auto-start/stop and repeat. It's glorious. Has an MMC3 cart on it and it sounds drat near brand new. The guy I bought it from has a ton of other equipment that I'm sure I'll be raiding in the near future.

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 10, 2017

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Scrapez posted:

I don't really think it's fair to try to return a 40 year old device that worked when you received it.

Seriously. I'd be furious if I was that eBay seller

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

This is why I have a giant collection of old stereo gear and have yet to sell any of it.

Ebay will always side with the buyer. Even if the seller said no returns on a used item and the buyer broke it.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Bad news. Right channel on receiver went out. Made some minor attempts at fixing it but stopped short of replacing transistors. I've had it less than 2-weeks so I contacted the ebay seller requesting to return. I guess this is what happens when you buy 40-year old poo poo on ebay!

If I can get it returned maybe I'll get something from one of the local record stores. If not, I'll suck it up and get it repaired I guess.

Did you buy it as-is? Or did the seller omit some obvious defects? I think you're in the right to return it unless it was as-is. Buying vintage electronics is a crapshoot. You Neve know what's going to fail until you stress it and unless electronics is your hobby and you have plenty of free time it's not worth it IMO. The only thing I'll take a chance on is simple stuff that I can rebuild in a weekend.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Not to mention all the jostling during shipping might have knocked a couple solder joints loose - in fact that's likely what happened.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Smeed posted:

Did you buy it as-is? Or did the seller omit some obvious defects? I think you're in the right to return it unless it was as-is. Buying vintage electronics is a crapshoot. You Neve know what's going to fail until you stress it and unless electronics is your hobby and you have plenty of free time it's not worth it IMO. The only thing I'll take a chance on is simple stuff that I can rebuild in a weekend.

Seller represented that it was in good working condition and has agreed to partial refund, so I think all things considered this worked out ok.

I agree this kind of buy is a crapshoot.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

my turn in the barrel posted:

This is why I have a giant collection of old stereo gear and have yet to sell any of it.

Ebay will always side with the buyer. Even if the seller said no returns on a used item and the buyer broke it.

I had this happen to me on a receiver I sold this year. Damaged in shipping so I filed a ups claim and arranged for them to pick it up from the buyer.

In the meantime, the buyer filed a refund request with eBay and shipped it back to me via USPS despite me saying UPS was picking it up.

The result? I had to refund buyer and pay his shipping costs back to me and my UPS claim was now null and void because he shipped it with a different carrier back.

So I now own a really expensive bent up receiver. EBay doesn't give two shits about sellers.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

H2SO4 posted:

I just picked up the TX2 version of this table, which they made with standard RCA connections instead of the proprietary stuff. It doesn't have track skip capability, but it's got auto-start/stop and repeat. It's glorious. Has an MMC3 cart on it and it sounds drat near brand new. The guy I bought it from has a ton of other equipment that I'm sure I'll be raiding in the near future.

I've had a couple of TX2s, and they are pretty nice! If you have a B&O receiver, you can solder on a 7-pin cable to the motherboard, all the electronics inside the turntable are exactly the same as the DIN versions.

PSA: Wannabe vinyl goons can get a refurbished AT-LP120 for $189, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Techn...5374%3AFeatured

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

Scrapez posted:

I had this happen to me on a receiver I sold this year. Damaged in shipping so I filed a ups claim and arranged for them to pick it up from the buyer.

In the meantime, the buyer filed a refund request with eBay and shipped it back to me via USPS despite me saying UPS was picking it up.

The result? I had to refund buyer and pay his shipping costs back to me and my UPS claim was now null and void because he shipped it with a different carrier back.

So I now own a really expensive bent up receiver. EBay doesn't give two shits about sellers.

I accepted a partial refund instead of forcing him to take it back because he's got a good rating and I don't think he sold it in bad faith. I'll see if I can apply the refund to getting it fixed locally.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just made ~$200 today, from selling around 50 CDs :cool:

And I have around 250 CDs left.

Apparently the Japanese version of Ghost's Opus Eponymous (with the Here Comes the Sun cover bonus track) sells for $50 by itself on Ebay.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

Delayed picture post.

Flutieflakes setup Mk. I:

The right channel on the pioneer failed last Friday night. A friend in Texas said he could supervise a DIY repair later this summer when I move back, but in the meantime, I went ahead and snatched up a Yamaha A-460 Integrated Amp I had been eyeing at Jacknife Records in the Atwater village.

Mk. II Setup:

Obviously, prefer the aesthetic of the Mk. I setup with the pioneer receiver but the Yamaha definitely has more juice. The important thing is that I can get back to subjecting my girlfriend to Steely Dan in unspoiled vinyl.

Flutieflakes017 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 13, 2017

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

Spinning some of my dads old vinyl I reclaimed from the garage this weekend.

A couple are visibly warped, they play and sound fine but I'm wondering if it's bad for the TT to play warped records?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
It's fine for the turntable unless the suits is crashing down into the record but in that case it wouldn't play well. You might be able to flatten it a little if you put it under some books in front of a window on a hot day or something.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Smeed posted:

It's fine for the turntable unless the suits is crashing down into the record but in that case it wouldn't play well. You might be able to flatten it a little if you put it under some books in front of a window on a hot day or something.

They're fine. I wouldn't put a book or anything on them though. That's bad. Just leave them out in the sun and they should flatten out some.
If it's REALLY bad it's rough on the cart and tonearm just from the amount of moving they have to do.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Met a guy with an INSANE B&O collection today, he seriously had six figures worth of stuff! Not just stereos, but also interior, marketing materials, posters, store decorations, etc etc etc.

I bought a stand and Beolink Passive for my Ouverture from him, so now it can actually serve a purpose besides just looking good.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Only kind of tangentially related to this thread, but I thought it was neat. The University of Minnesota has a place where they sell stuff they no longer use. Everything you can think of, kitchen supplies, light bulbs, tractor oil filters, soap dispensers...

Was over there the other day browsing and ran across this. Looks like a 4 channel reel-to-reel mixer. Hundred and twenty bucks, tape included!

Click for huge

Totally unrelated to audio, they had some other measurement recorder that I couldn't identify.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ColdPie posted:

Only kind of tangentially related to this thread, but I thought it was neat. The University of Minnesota has a place where they sell stuff they no longer use. Everything you can think of, kitchen supplies, light bulbs, tractor oil filters, soap dispensers...

Was over there the other day browsing and ran across this. Looks like a 4 channel reel-to-reel mixer. Hundred and twenty bucks, tape included!

Click for huge

Ah, what you've got there is a data recorder. Probably not super useful for normal audio purposes. Very neat though. Probably cost a ton back when it was new.

The printer I have no idea. Maybe from the same old lab, whatever they were measuring.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 24, 2017

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Techmoan did a video about a device I've always wanted - the Atari Video Music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wle0eqBwtL8

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

You guys probably know this but you should always stop and check church rummage sales. The old ladies running them have no idea what things are worth and aren't going to go on eBay and check when they price.

I just walked out of a sale and it ended up opening up 5 minutes early so I wasn't the first in the door. The guy in front of me got a Nakamichi 1000 cassette deck for $20.

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 27, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just picked up a replacement for my SL-1210 MK2.

"But why would you ever replace an SL-1210 MK2?!", I hear you cry.

Because I sold it for $600 to a friend who had been hunting for one for a while, and I figured since I don't listen to that many records anymore, I would be fine with a slightly lesser (and less expensive) turntable. Today I found something nice and rather different for the neat price of $90. I had literally never seen or even heard of this brand before today.

Behold the VISONIK HiFi CEC 8200, in all its chunky, direct drive, semi-automatic glory.

You look at the speed adjustment strobe pattern through the window in the middle, since the pattern is actually on the underside of the platter, which is kinda odd.

The platter accounts for a very significant portion of the 10kg total weight, it's basically a solid slab of aluminum. The tonearm is also very nicely constructed from aluminum, and I think the headshell is titanium or something similarly silly.

Everything seems to work perfectly, it just needs a little bit of cleaning and a new stylus for the Ortofon OM cartridge. I lubed the motor for good measure, but it didn't seem to need it, even though the manual calls for a few drops of oil twice a year. The lid is a bit scratched (as expected), but there are no cracks, and the hinges are still nice and tight, which is more than could be said about the hinges on my 1210 when I got it.

The backstory of this turntable is that CEC of Japan used to make very decent turntables, and they were sold under various brands in other countries. In the US, it would have been sold as a Realistic, and VISONIK HiFi was the European reseller, based in Germany. So it's actually a CEC DD-8200, and apparently Ken Ishiwata (of Marantz fame) had a hand in designing it. It certainly feels like a real quality item, even 40 years after it was made.

From what I can find out online, CEC still make very high quality motors for companies like VPI, but they stopped making turntables a long time ago.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 5, 2017

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Any recommendations on how to digitize an old and rare cassette tape? I figure it's mostly a case of clean transport and capture, as with most things analog.

Are my thrift-store-special Technics M-44 and/or Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2 up to the challenge?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Both are really good tape decks, if they're in good condition and the heads are worn to poo poo etc.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I'd say use whatever deck you trust most to not munch your rare tape.

Other than that, yeah, clean and undistorted signal is your goal. Personally, I'd turn off any signal processing or Dolby whatever when capturing. (Idea being that you can always add it back later if desired.)

I'd also dupe it to another cassette for future playback.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I've tested and used them both, but not super thoroughly. Is there a cleaning and/or preparation method I should go through?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You can clean the heads with a q-tip and a bit of isopropyl alcohol, to get any tape gunk off them. And inspect any pinch rollers and such for gunk or damage.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

pzy posted:

Any recommendations on how to digitize an old and rare cassette tape? I figure it's mostly a case of clean transport and capture, as with most things analog.

Are my thrift-store-special Technics M-44 and/or Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2 up to the challenge?

Holy poo poo dude where are you? If you're interested, I'd like to buy the Nakamichi. I have a Receiver 2 and a CD Player 2. Components in that series are basically impossible to find and I think it'd be pretty cool to have a complete stack. The only reason I have the first two together is because my dad bought them together new in the early 90s.

PM me if you're interested.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I might be willing to sell it in a few weeks, after I test it for this tape digitization effort!

The Cassette Deck 2 is probably the cheapest of those components though, definitely seen them go for under $100 on eBay.

It's no Dragon ;)

something_clever
Sep 25, 2006
I recently bought this monster as a "fun" long term project (not my picture obviously):

Bang & Olufsen Beomaster 6000. I couldn't resist the price: 150dkk=$22.
It's not the Beomaster 8000 with the 150w@8ohm and fancy wheel controls, but 2x75W@8 ohm is pretty impressive for a B&O amp.
Fixed the volume control belt problem with a simple cleaning. Unit turns on with no problems.
Haven't even tested it thoroughly yet (ordered some DIN speaker plugs and other miscellaneous DIN connectors)
I don't care about the tuner functioning or display issues.
I've been told that the red (burgundy) caps are prone to dry out/malfunction and needs to be replaced.
And that the solders are prone to disconnection with age.
Anything else I need to know? Hint-> KozmoNaut who actually worked @ B&O.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Big update post, since it's been a while. Prices are approximate for sake of simplicity:

First of all, I've wanted some decent speakers that could be used for both stereo and home theatre, so I got myself a set of Tannoy V4i, V1i and VCi for $150

A set of Tannoy MXR was picked up at the flea market for $5 and sold for $30

A NAD 312 was picked up FOR FREE, and combined with a pair of Monitor Audio R100 I got for $4 at the flea markets. Sold for $125 to a young man wanting a cheap entry into real hifi. I even made him speaker cables with Nakamichi banana plugs as a bonus because the deal went so smooth.

My Tandberg TCD 420A with about $80 invested sold for $280

My Sony TC-D5M with a fancy stereo microphone cost me $47. However, it had speed issues beyond what I wanted to fix, and needed a good service. It sold, with the mic, for $175.

And just as is my luck, our man Techmoan posted a video about these recorders just a week later. If I had waited, it would probably have been worth three times as much now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtjqF70F5wI

A black Beogram CD 7000 sold for $150 and is getting shipped back to its home country of Denmark, where they apparently cost A LOT more!

An old Pioneer home theatre receiver was picked up for free, and sold on for $40

evobatman fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 13, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

something_clever posted:

I recently bought this monster as a "fun" long term project (not my picture obviously):

Bang & Olufsen Beomaster 6000. I couldn't resist the price: 150dkk=$22.
It's not the Beomaster 8000 with the 150w@8ohm and fancy wheel controls, but 2x75W@8 ohm is pretty impressive for a B&O amp.
Fixed the volume control belt problem with a simple cleaning. Unit turns on with no problems.
Haven't even tested it thoroughly yet (ordered some DIN speaker plugs and other miscellaneous DIN connectors)
I don't care about the tuner functioning or display issues.
I've been told that the red (burgundy) caps are prone to dry out/malfunction and needs to be replaced.
And that the solders are prone to disconnection with age.
Anything else I need to know? Hint-> KozmoNaut who actually worked @ B&O.

drat nice price, but that is somewhat before my time, so I had to defer to my dad ;)

He says the 8000 and the 6000 are definitely the best Beomaster models, as that was when B&O finally figured out that they should go with standard Japanese-made amp modules, instead of rolling their own unreliable junk. I don't know about the caps, but it certainly can't hurt to ESR test them (if you have the equipment), or just go through and replace them. I would definitely check the solder connections, too.

If you do get your hands on an 8000, he says the controls are very reliable, not like the earlier touch control models, which were crap and liked to increase the volume to 100% completely at random.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I finally solved a problem thats been dogging me for a long time. If you get a hum in your system that you can't seem to fix, check if you have a powerline network adapter in your house. Apparently its enough electrical interference to cause a very loud audible crackle/hum. Question, I have a bunch of speakers that I want to connect up. I don't have enough space for a separate tuner for a home stereo. What should I look for in a modern tuner that will play nicely with my turntable.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

LionYeti posted:

I finally solved a problem thats been dogging me for a long time. If you get a hum in your system that you can't seem to fix, check if you have a powerline network adapter in your house. Apparently its enough electrical interference to cause a very loud audible crackle/hum. Question, I have a bunch of speakers that I want to connect up. I don't have enough space for a separate tuner for a home stereo. What should I look for in a modern tuner that will play nicely with my turntable.

Do you really mean tuner? Like an AM/FM tuner? Or do you mean receiver/integrated amplifier.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

yeah Receiver Amp main home theater controller

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

LionYeti posted:

yeah Receiver Amp main home theater controller

Many modern av receivers have a phono stage. Denon, Pioneer, and Marantz are popular. What's your budget?

Are you looking for a 5.1 or 7.1 home theater receiver? Or are you just looking to listen to 2 channel music?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Looking for 5.1, budget is limited like 250 tops. I'd be willing to go used, is Ebay an okay place for more modernish gear?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

LionYeti posted:

Looking for 5.1, budget is limited like 250 tops. I'd be willing to go used, is Ebay an okay place for more modernish gear?

Do you have a pre-amp or does your phonograph have a built in pre-amp? you can get an Onkyo for $250 but I can't find one with phono stage. You might have to go used.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

My Turntable does have a pre amp.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

LionYeti posted:

My Turntable does have a pre amp.

Go hit up ebay or craigslist, then. There's always tons of AV equipment on craigslist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

pzy posted:

After some unscientific A/B testing, I feel the Nakamichi sounds best, but for some reason mine is playing tapes a little bit slow.

Is there a way to tweak that, or would that be post-production?