Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The "one and done" is over. Welcome to the era of the "half and done".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/863112806874394625

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Here's my draft analysis. I want this guy on OKC:

https://twitter.com/SBN_Ricky/status/863151334534643714

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Kibner posted:

A 5'10" dude with 6'8" wingspan, too. lol

Who is this monster?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/863119600967446528

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dejan Bimble posted:

Who is this monster?

I was wrong. It was 5'11 with 6'6 wingspan.

e: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2017-nba-draft-combine-measurements-analysis-5927/

quote:

Though he stands just 5'11.5 in shoes, Jawun Evans registered a wingspan of 6'5.5. Evans is only as tall as Kemba Walker, but as long as Patrick Beverley. The longest wingspan measurements for any drafted player under 6'0 in our database prior to this point was Aaron Brooks's 6'4 mark. Evans was the shortest player measured in Chicago, with Frank Mason and Derrick Walton being the only two other players standing under 6-feet tall without shoes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I dunno I think from everything available on him he might be pretty bad. He was great high school talent but he looked like he couldn't compete with college players in team USA and then suddenly decided to go overseas after that which is a pretty big red flag to me. Not being able to get on the floor in Australia that has some of the worst basketball in the world is another big warning sign.

Rick fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 13, 2017

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I really wish the top propsects at least went for measurements at the combine. I need to know hand sizes and real wingspans

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709370-nba-combine-results-2017-friday-measurements-highlights-and-top-prospects
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2709127-nba-combine-results-2017-thursday-measurements-highlights-and-top-prospects

There's a searchable thing on draftexpress that isnt working
..from his injury.

Zach Collins has petite hands for a 7 footer. 8.25 in a sea of 9.5 and 10.0s. the freakish wingspan guy juwan evans has freakishly narrow hands. hahaha his arms are like stilts.

Ike Angibobu should rise in the draft based on doing well on all the measurements

Terrance Ferguson, the second coming of Terrence Ross has very unimpressive wingspan but very wide hands. Though the wingspan thing is mitigated by him playing sg

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 13, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The fix for tanking is that the bottom three teams in the league should have to each send three players to the combine to play against the prospective talents to actually judge them well. My takeaway from reading the recaps is that the upperclassmen who were beating down potentially more talented freshman continued to do that. I already know Jordan Bell stomps on these dudes, I'd like to see how he would do if he had to stop like Tarik Black or something.

Rawle Alkins (speaking of people who would've played ahead of Ferguson in college) cutting loose though is pretty impressive, I don't think a lot of people expected that, me included. I figured he'd do okay but not stand out very much.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Ford is reporting that Fox is ahead of Ball with some front offices, and Dennis Smith has shot way up some boards (no shock) and that a Fultz/Fox/Ball/Smith 1,2,3,4 draft is in play.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rick posted:

Ford is reporting that Fox is ahead of Ball with some front offices, and Dennis Smith has shot way up some boards (no shock) and that a Fultz/Fox/Ball/Smith 1,2,3,4 draft is in play.

Makes sense to me . I always though smith was going to go high.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Fox at 2 yeesh

That shot is brutal

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Ford's also saying Giles might sneak into the 5-10 range if he's cleared by doctors, which sounds crazy. I assume that'd push out Markkanen or Isaac which would be cool

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

euphronius posted:

Fox is it terrible if you believe in his jumpshot

He is going to be the most athletic dude on the court most games. If he gets his shot to even average, he would be like a smaller Dwayne Wade. And of all things, a 19 year old's jumper is something that can be fixed. Guys aren't going to get taller or more athletic, but fixing jumpers happens.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Fox at 2 yeesh

That shot is brutal

Post Kawhi, front offices believe they can turn every ugly catapult shot into a 40% three point stroke

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Rick posted:

Fox, Jordan Bell, and Donovan Mitchell are rocketing up the board.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Slowpoke! posted:

He is going to be the most athletic dude on the court most games. If he gets his shot to even average, he would be like a smaller Dwayne Wade. And of all things, a 19 year old's jumper is something that can be fixed. Guys aren't going to get taller or more athletic, but fixing jumpers happens.

It happens but it is way less often than people want to believe it does. Especially if it's someone who has the ball in his hands a lot and can't just work on getting really good a hitting open corner 3s.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

As much crap Ball gets for his shot, it does actually go in the net

Fox can't even do that

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I have a feeling that Frank Jackson played/measured himself into the mid first round as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see Detroit/Bucks reach for him.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I'm majorly onboard for Bell. He reminds me a bit of Amare. I like his hustle. A lot of PFs can't catch in stride an go off either foot. He looks fluid. He has nice hands and tries hard on D. I hope he does well.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

jfc DX moved Mitchell all the way up to #12.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

The lottery is in three days and I'm so excited. I just don't want the Sixers to gently caress this up.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you were LA, assuming they have #3, would you trade #3 for #8 and #10 to the Kings if it were on the table? I think I would rather roll with Isaac/Collins than another SF or PG. I also am low on Jackson though. Feels like Stanley Johnson again.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

ButtWolf posted:

If you were LA, assuming they have #3, would you trade #3 for #8 and #10 to the Kings if it were on the table? I think I would rather roll with Isaac/Collins than another SF or PG. I also am low on Jackson though. Feels like Stanley Johnson again.

Isaac/Collins are pretty similar to Ingram/Zubac. Jackson is much much much more skilled than SJ and wouldn't be a bad choice for them at 3 if they don't want to go for a PG and play Russell off the ball.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Isaac/Collins are pretty similar to Ingram/Zubac. Jackson is much much much more skilled than SJ and wouldn't be a bad choice for them at 3 if they don't want to go for a PG and play Russell off the ball.

I do like defensive players, but being a Thunder fan, I'm getting sick of really good defensive players who can't do anything. Ima do some more research on jackson.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ButtWolf posted:

I do like defensive players, but being a Thunder fan, I'm getting sick of really good defensive players who can't do anything. Ima do some more research on jackson.

jackson is really really good and nothing like the late first picks okc drafts

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
speaking of okc i hope they draft a backup pg that i can nod approvingly when he gets playing time

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ButtWolf posted:

Josh Jackson is a much higher level prospect than Stanley Johnson. Their similarities are hair, shaky jumper, solid all around game, willingness to play defense. But Jackson is a better athlete, bigger, faster, more agile and hoppy, and he's a better scorer. He might not be as much of a passer. He does play defense. The similarities are cosmetic, though. I don't think there's a huge amount of risk in Josh Jackson unless his shot dies hard and he can't adjust to NBA length. Stanley Johnson has struggled in the NBA, because teams don't respect his hair restricted jumper, and give him no room for those plodding stone foot drives. Josh Jackson can do more in those spaces than Stanley. I don't feel like I'm doing him justice. Just watch a couple condensed games and you'll see why hes' a 2-4 pick and Stanley was an 8

And no, in this draft there is no way I would give up 2 for 8 and 10. Unless I had some secret intel that I could get Dennis Smith and Markannen with those picks and I was also getting like a top 3 protected first in addition

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Josh Jackson is a much higher level prospect than Stanley Johnson. Their similarities are hair, shaky jumper, solid all around game, willingness to play defense. But Jackson is a better athlete, bigger, faster, more agile and hoppy, and he's a better scorer. He might not be as much of a passer. He does play defense. The similarities are cosmetic, though. I don't think there's a huge amount of risk in Josh Jackson unless his shot dies hard and he can't adjust to NBA length. Stanley Johnson has struggled in the NBA, because teams don't respect his hair restricted jumper, and give him no room for those plodding stone foot drives. Josh Jackson can do more in those spaces than Stanley. I don't feel like I'm doing him justice. Just watch a couple condensed games and you'll see why hes' a 2-4 pick and Stanley was an 8

And no, in this draft there is no way I would give up 2 for 8 and 10. Unless I had some secret intel that I could get Dennis Smith and Markannen with those picks and I was also getting like a top 3 protected first in addition

Only two quibbles: JJ is much smaller than SJ weightwise (~20 lbs) and his passing is much better, to the point that it's one of his strengths. SJ is functional to mediocre in that respect.

Jackson played really well for the whole year, but showed off a lot of new skills in the last part of the college season.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Only two quibbles: JJ is much smaller than SJ weightwise (~20 lbs) and his passing is much better, to the point that it's one of his strengths. SJ is functional to mediocre in that respect.

Jackson played really well for the whole year, but showed off a lot of new skills in the last part of the college season.

You're right, Stanley Johnson is both longer and heavier, I guess Jackson is so much more bouncy and quick that in my mind he was larger because he could cover more ground.
As for the passing, I'll take your word for it, they both seemed to be good wing passers in college against good competition.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

paternity suitor posted:

The lottery is in three days and I'm so excited. I just don't want the Sixers to gently caress this up.

Trust the process, friend

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I really liked Donovan Mitchell. I wasn't surprised he was low because he doesn't totally have an NBA position but if he's going to shoot the way he's shooting now in the pros that kind of doesn't matter.

Everyone has seen Bell be awesome, I love watching the dude play. My only question is if he can do what he does when it's NBA dudes attacking the basket instead of college guys. However in a project draft (for bigs) him going below guys who are just physical specimens didn't make a ton of sense.

ButtWolf posted:

The Lakers only have one wing player under contract next year unless Nick Young makes a bad business move and unless you think Loul Deng is still a wing (and even after the draft he may still have to be). They really need another wing, to the point that whoever they draft, even if it's going to be Ball, is going to have to spend some time at one of the wing spots.

Also I've seen most of Stanley Johnson's career, am an Arizona homer, and still it doesn't compare to Jackson (who I've also seen a ton of). Jackson is a better defender and a much better finisher once he gets into/near the paint. The questions about the shot are fair and valid but if getting to the rim is still possible in the modern NBA Jackson is going to score.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

speaking of okc i hope they draft a backup pg that i can nod approvingly when he gets playing time

As a fan of a team with Tyus Jones I nod approvingly at this post.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

I really liked Donovan Mitchell. I wasn't surprised he was low because he doesn't totally have an NBA position but if he's going to shoot the way he's shooting now in the pros that kind of doesn't matter.

Everyone has seen Bell be awesome, I love watching the dude play. My only question is if he can do what he does when it's NBA dudes attacking the basket instead of college guys. However in a project draft (for bigs) him going below guys who are just physical specimens didn't make a ton of sense.

The Lakers only have one wing player under contract next year unless Nick Young makes a bad business move and unless you think Loul Deng is still a wing (and even after the draft he may still have to be). They really need another wing, to the point that whoever they draft, even if it's going to be Ball, is going to have to spend some time at one of the wing spots.

Also I've seen most of Stanley Johnson's career, am an Arizona homer, and still it doesn't compare to Jackson (who I've also seen a ton of). Jackson is a better defender and a much better finisher once he gets into/near the paint. The questions about the shot are fair and valid but if getting to the rim is still possible in the modern NBA Jackson is going to score.

It seems like there's still at least a regular season slot of several minutes per game for undersized hustle bigs. as long as they play defense. If he ever learns to shoot he could become a rich man.

Donovan Mitchell is hotter than a heat wave since his measurements came out. His best fit is a team where there's no illusion of him learning to play pg, somewhere with multiple other ball handlers, like New Orleans, philadelphia, or Cleveland.

I think wingspan is quite overrated at 1-2 because of the sort of defense they're asked to play, but his wingspan is necessary jst to bring him to baseline at sg. He can get buckets and he's a decent athlete. Just a square peg, he could be a value if he can prove that he can defend sgs and not get squashed when he's switched around. Also, Pitino guards always seem to be misfits, I wonder why. Maybe he recruits for his scheme which doesn't require lots of savvy passing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
There was a point where he had slid into the late 20s and I thought he would be perfect as the next Spurs System Player if he could fall a little farther.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Fultz is a fantastic shooter off the dribble

Lots of threes off the dribble as the pnr ball handler

http://fansided.com/2017/05/02/markelle-fultz-nba-draft-scouting/
He real good

I feel like Jonathan Isaac is the Dragan Bender of this year's draft

I'm seeing Terrance Ferguson mocked to Detroit, which makes sense as they're dying for 3p shooting. But there are so many other guys I like, even if they don't fit, there are much higher ceilings. Jarrett Allen could be the sort of competition to scare Drummond into playing well. Anuboby seems like he'll find a solid role somewhere and potentially be great, if he fixes his shot. The bottom of the first and top of the second have a ton of intriguing role players. It's a good year for the teams that got the throwaway 1st round pick from a contender

The Nets are going to give a max offer sheet to Kentavious Caldwell Pope who can't seem to consistently find his three point shot. That's a ton of money for a 3 and d guy who doesn't really have the three. But kent bazemore got it and he's kent bazemore. demarre caroll got a huge contract after tearing all his ligaments. Wings just cost more. I'm still working through video of the 10-40 guys to decide who the Pistons need to draft aside from trading up to get Edmond Sumner.

Goofy loving Givony has Donovan Mitchell to detroit at 12, despite Mitchell not being able to shoot threes and the Van Gundy system withering and dying without at least 3 credible 3p shooters on the floor at any given time.

I still think that Hartenstein has more potential than Lauri Markannen, even if Markannen is obviously better now. Hartenstein has moves and a touch, if he can make his threes, I shouldn't even type out that out, just make it an acronym IHCMH3 he'll be a more desirable player, because he's a pf and you won't need to find a rim protecting pf to pair with him, like you would with Markannen, and because his faux dirk one leg fadeaway and pop looks like an NBA signature move.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 14, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan, tell me about Jonah Bolden, can he play SF, and why a couple of posters elsewhere said he could sneak into the lottery

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

As a fan of a team with Tyus Jones I nod approvingly at this post.

#FreeTyus

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

morestuff posted:

Ford's also saying Giles might sneak into the 5-10 range if he's cleared by doctors, which sounds crazy.
Same thing as Thon Maker last year - before the season their potential has everyone hyped and they are projected top 5/top 10, then the playing starts and they get poo poo on by everyone for not actually being very good on the court, but then the basketball stops and every GM starts going 'hmmm, that potential though....' - and it only takes one team to really love him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The concern isn't (or shouldn't be) Giles play, it's that he has torn an ACL in both knees, and his right knee is particularly hosed up.

• Locked thread