Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

I've invested almost no time into this

Don't lie dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

Don't lie dude.

I know this might be shocking to you, but not being ignorant isn't exactly all that difficult. It's actually way harder to be purposefully uninformed!

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Lightning Lord posted:

Did Gamergaters in general really think the likes of Zoe Quinn, Anita Sarkeesian and Leigh Alexander were ugly or were they just attacking them in any way possible because uh

Like it was a frequent talking point and I still can't figure out if it was entirely disingenuous or not

I think attacking people on appearance is a way of discrediting or dehumanizing them. Which is kind of their whole approach despite being 'intellectuals' is just to straw man? They just cherry pick lines out of context, ignore parts of the research they quote that disagrees with their argument, straw man all opponents as being Tumblr super SJWs...

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Carecat posted:

I think attacking people on appearance is a way of discrediting or dehumanizing them. Which is kind of their whole approach despite being 'intellectuals' is just to straw man? They just cherry pick lines out of context, ignore parts of the research they quote that disagrees with their argument, straw man all opponents as being Tumblr super SJWs...

Criticizing based on appearance is probably the most-used attack on women feminists. I mean, the stereotype of the fat, ugly, hairy feminist has been around for decades and yeah, despite their constant cries of "rationalism," they still fall into that bullshit.

And the coloured hair thing is nothing short of :psyduck: to me.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Midig posted:

Why would I invest more time into what was seemingly some conspiracy/drama about gaming? I get it, Who What Now, Boner Confessor, and you have probably invested years into this poo poo. I was too busy being a "rational", cut me some slack.

It really didn't take much reading, like a few minutes at most, to figure out the story. "Years," loving lol.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

mojo1701a posted:

...fat, ugly, hairy...

It is amazing how much projection there is from these idiots.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Criticizing by appearance is a low blow and a bad tactic unless they are claiming to be the Alpha representatives of the white master race while looking like a chubby newborn.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Midig posted:

Why would I invest more time into what was seemingly some conspiracy/drama about gaming? I get it, Who What Now, Boner Confessor, and you have probably invested years into this poo poo. I was too busy being a "rational", cut me some slack.

there's a difference between investment and awareness. if you spend a lot of time arguing on the internet it was hard to miss gamergate, it kind of dominated conversations in 2015, especially on a place like something awful - the idiot who kicked off the whole thing posted his creepy manifesto here where he was immediately banned, but it found more fertile ground on reddit

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy poo poo is there a link? I didn't know there was a manifesto! I NEED that poo poo :allears:

Also anyone know what the gently caress is up with that Modern Educayshun short film?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SSNeoman posted:

Holy poo poo is there a link? I didn't know there was a manifesto! I NEED that poo poo :allears:

Also anyone know what the gently caress is up with that Modern Educayshun short film?

just look up the "zoe post" but i warn you it's stupid and rambling garbage from a super butthurt guy who got dumped and had the worst possible public meltdown because of it

e: here's the rap sheet

https://archive.is/J8tos

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 13, 2017

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

Criticizing based on appearance is probably the most-used attack on women feminists. I mean, the stereotype of the fat, ugly, hairy feminist has been around for decades and yeah, despite their constant cries of "rationalism," they still fall into that bullshit.

And the coloured hair thing is nothing short of :psyduck: to me.

To be fair criticizing appearance is like the first part of internet critique. See the term "Neckbeard".

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
imo neckbeard is more of an insult regarding poor hygiene and grooming habits

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Midig posted:

Once I found out that the fuzz started with a rant from an angry ex-boyfriend claiming that his previous GF used her vagina to promote her indie game I pretty much tuned out.

That wasn't even the story in the very beginning. He was basically just calling her a cheating slut. Then some 4chan geniuses glommed onto one of the men she supposedly cheated with* being a games journalist and spun the foundation of GamerGate out of whole cloth.**

The degree to which it was so thoroughly made up, and how big and wide-ranging it became, is horrifying.

* Which even by the original accusations' timeline is bullshit, because Gjoni admitted they separated for a while, which coincides with his ~hard evidence~ of cheating. Not that it would justify any of what he did even if it weren't a malicious lie.

** At which point there were literal dens of scheming on IRC meant to orchestrate further misinformation and harassment, that Gjoni participated in. Quinn and whoever weren't even in a relationship when he made a brief, off-hand mention of her game in a list of other indie games. Not that it would justify any of what he did even if it weren't a malicious lie.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

WampaLord posted:

It really didn't take much reading, like a few minutes at most, to figure out the story. "Years," loving lol.

Not years to read yo. I mean as in "of course you know all this poo poo since you are so invested in it and you take it for granted that not everyone knows this stuff". But that's just the most reasonable way to interpret what I wrote and we can't have that now, can we? Hope this poo poo it is done now.

Midig fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 13, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
gamergate was primed to take off because quinn had been the subject of low intensity harassment for months, for daring to be a woman who made a video game about her feelings. thats when angry ex made up a bunch of poo poo about how she was a cheating slut and then loser gamers collectively lost their poo poo because now she was the avatar of every hypocritical woman who ever rejected them. this is when they retroactively made gamergate about ethics in journalism rather than a collective freakout about :females:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i enjoy the cognitive dissonance of seemingly realizing misogyny is bad or at least the overt form is very frowned upon so they have to shield it by saying "it's about ethics in gaming journalism" but then never ever talk about that and only about how the females are cucking all the menfolk and destroying our way of life.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the funny thing is that gaming journalism is garbage with tremendous ethics problems but this starts at the top, where big studios collude with "independent" or explicitly publisher owned magazines that are little more than advertisments in the form of reviews. little indie shops are the opposite of this, but because of cultural marxism they're accused of pushing SJW feminist gaming ethics or whatever the gently caress. so much for free speech

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Archer666 posted:

To be fair criticizing appearance is like the first part of internet critique. See the term "Neckbeard".

That's true, but I think there's a difference between being some internet weirdo making fun of a feminist and calling her fat, and being someone who claims he's right because he's rational using insults that have nothing to do with the topic to punctuate your screeds.

I mean, I've insulted the looks of some of these idiots almost at the beginning of the thread, but it was in response to presenting themselves on camera with very poor grooming and fitting the very stereotype they deny being.

boner confessor posted:

imo neckbeard is more of an insult regarding poor hygiene and grooming habits

That, too. You don't have to be an Adonis (Lord knows I'm not), but if you're going to complain that feminism has essentially taken away your ability to find a woman, then at least act like you try.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I wonder if it would be fun to make a shitlist and put a ranking on how horrible they are and make it into a sort of top 10 list. Criteria being:

-Sheer bigotry

-Carelessness on sensitive topics

-Smugness of their voice

-How much /pol likes them

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you can even make fun of the only one of these guys that takes care of his body because he's 1. way too into himself 2. the hair and facial hair don't work.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Groovelord Neato posted:

you can even make fun of the only one of these guys that takes care of his body because he's 1. way too into himself 2. the hair and facial hair don't work.

I assume you're talking about The Golden One? Yeah that's less to do with his appearance being gross, and his appearance manifesting his conceitedness.

Also I never realized he had facial hair until you mentioned it. It's almost invisible.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

boner confessor posted:

the funny thing is that gaming journalism is garbage with tremendous ethics problems but this starts at the top, where big studios collude with "independent" or explicitly publisher owned magazines that are little more than advertisments in the form of reviews. little indie shops are the opposite of this, but because of cultural marxism they're accused of pushing SJW feminist gaming ethics or whatever the gently caress. so much for free speech

Yea it was interesting to see little to no mention of Jeff Gerstmann's firing over a low review score during the whole "ethics in games journalism" period because that was actually a big ethics violation. Funny enough, most Gamergaters hate Giant Bomb for being "too SJW."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mojo1701a posted:

Also I never realized he had facial hair until you mentioned it. It's almost invisible.

exactly why it's bad.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This got passed over earlier, but I'd appreciate others' takes on Ann Lieven. In particular, what's with the random Cyrillic?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

she's a child and has the knowledge and reasoning of one.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Groovelord Neato posted:

she's a child and has the knowledge and reasoning of one.

Yeah you knew she was not really interested in a good-faith argument when she opened a video with "If a black man gets in a fight with a white woman, who's the oppressed one?" and saying that feminism isn't needed in the US because "women already have equality under the law."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

Not years to read yo. I mean as in "of course you know all this poo poo since you are so invested in it and you take it for granted that not everyone knows this stuff".

You don't need to be invested in something to be aware of it. How is this so difficult for you to comprehend?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

This got passed over earlier, but I'd appreciate others' takes on Ann Lieven. In particular, what's with the random Cyrillic?

I tried watching one of her videos and about died from cringe.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Who What Now posted:

You don't need to be invested in something to be aware of it. How is this so difficult for you to comprehend?

Of course, that is fine, but I just happened to not know about all of this.

Codex Occultus
Apr 12, 2009

A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting.

That Old Tree posted:

That wasn't even the story in the very beginning. He was basically just calling her a cheating slut. Then some 4chan geniuses glommed onto one of the men she supposedly cheated with* being a games journalist and spun the foundation of GamerGate out of whole cloth.**

The degree to which it was so thoroughly made up, and how big and wide-ranging it became, is horrifying.

* Which even by the original accusations' timeline is bullshit, because Gjoni admitted they separated for a while, which coincides with his ~hard evidence~ of cheating. Not that it would justify any of what he did even if it weren't a malicious lie.

** At which point there were literal dens of scheming on IRC meant to orchestrate further misinformation and harassment, that Gjoni participated in. Quinn and whoever weren't even in a relationship when he made a brief, off-hand mention of her game in a list of other indie games. Not that it would justify any of what he did even if it weren't a malicious lie.

Yeah, one of the fascinating things about gamergate was that even if the crazy lies were true it would have been trivial as gently caress. A small time indie dev most people had never heard of got a tiny amount of extra publicity for her free game about depression because of who she was dating. Horrors! How will the industry survive this scandal!

Of course originally they were claiming she got positive reviews of her game because of her evil vagina using ways. Slight problem being none of the men she was purportedly linked to ever reviewed her game. The idiots never even checked. They just saw one was a games journo and started screaming semi-coherently. Once it was pointed out they were lying they changed it to the vague "positive coverage", dug up that one offhand reference you mentioned, and proceeded to lie about ever having claimed claimed there were reviews.

Man, it was such a clusterfuck of "I HAVE MY EYES CLOSED SO YOU CANT SEE ME" level deception.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Codex Occultus posted:

Man, it was such a clusterfuck of "I HAVE MY EYES CLOSED SO YOU CANT SEE ME" level deception.

And it worked, and spawned movements.

Well, not -worked- worked. Games like Life is Strange, Night in the Woods and even Undertale, who depart from many conventions of "gamer culture", have become a bit of a mainstay, thankfully. But the role "real, politically incorrect gamer dude" has now been cemented and is a path to money and recognition, and will stay that way.

I worked in gaming media when Gamergate broke and I remember personal friends all the way here in Brazil wailing about drat harpies ruining games and slutting it up with reviewers. I'd tell them that companies playing footsie with review copies, ad space and compromised staff (who would generally sell their mothers to stop being an impoverished games mag/site editor and go work for Ubisoft) were things I saw regularly, but this horde of blue-haired indie girls was yet to be seen.

Crickets.

The average gamer thinks hating Electronic Arts (in a vague way) is all that is required for him to be a dashing independent rogue. It's no fun to punch at the big stuff. You rarely see results, and even when they happen, they are hollow. Konami changed their Twitter staffer because of a backlash? Oh, the skies shake themselves asunder!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

i watched about 30 seconds of her pinned video and i'm like "why am i being lectured by a high school sophomore"

Midig posted:

Of course, that is fine, but I just happened to not know about all of this.

for a while it was super hard to avoid gamergate arguments on english language forums with a nerd presence. it really galvanized the shitheards to sound off their opinions about how women are ruining games. when Gone Home came out you'd think someone was murdered with how pissed people were (Gone Home was and is a very good game)

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
If that Gamepro 5/5 fun factor score isn't iron clad then what can we trust anymore? :gonk:

Also, I wonder if anyone from the Trump camp took notes from gamer gate for their own fake news offensive.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Arrr Im a Pirate posted:

If that Gamepro 5/5 fun factor score isn't iron clad then what can we trust anymore? :gonk:

Also, I wonder if anyone from the Trump camp took notes from gamer gate for their own fake news offensive.

Well Milo and Breitbart in general helped herd those cats so really it's more the other way around

Groovelord Neato posted:

one of these things is not like the other... (tho that's neither here nor there, their being ugly or attractive is immaterial to the issue).

LOL which of those three attractive women do you have a problem with

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zoe quinn is not attractive dude. i know goons grade on a curve so i have to factor that in. it's also immaterial to gamergate.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

zoe quinn is not attractive dude. i know goons grade on a curve so i have to factor that in. it's also immaterial to gamergate.

So why fuckin' bring it up at all?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

he did lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Rude.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah you knew she was not really interested in a good-faith argument when she opened a video with "If a black man gets in a fight with a white woman, who's the oppressed one?" and saying that feminism isn't needed in the US because "women already have equality under the law."

She might simply believe those things in good faith because she is a child. How informed were you when you were a teenager, and how well could you reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

in her defense, i'm not particularly attractive either.

business hammocks posted:

She might simply believe those things in good faith because she is a child. How informed were you when you were a teenager, and how well could you reason?

you cannot hold the opinions she and the others do and argue in good faith. it's impossible to be right wing and argue in good faith.

• Locked thread