Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/05/iplayer-login-tv-licence-fee-dodging/

quote:

E-mail addresses used to login to the iPlayer will be matched with records kept by TV Licensing to see if individuals are dodging the £145.50 fee to watch content, the BBC said. However, people still pay their telly licence in a variety of ways, including via debit or credit card over the phone, by post, or over-the-counter.

Presumably, the logic is that if someone is watching the iPlayer via a laptop or device, then they'll also be paying their licence fee online. But the BBC is also seemingly relying on those individuals to use the same e-mail address for the iPlayer and TV licensing.

"You’ll soon need to sign in to watch and listen to things on BBC iPlayer and iPlayer Radio," the BBC is now telling users via its iPlayer service. "And the same goes for some other parts of the BBC. This is so we can make the BBC more relevant and personal to you."

This might be relevant for a number of viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wheat Loaf posted:

Some other names who have recently come up include Luke Treadaway (who was in A Street Cat Named Bob) and Sacha Dhawan (who already has a connection to Doctor Who - he played Waris Hussein, the programme's very first director, in An Adventure In Space and Time). Either could be interesting.

I dunno nothin' bout Treadaway, though he seems very "Tennant Clone" and looks very young. Though after Smith, Tennant, and Davison I should learn to not bitch about that (so long as they aren't 22). Dhawan was very solid in Adventure in Space and Time so I'd lean towards wanting him.

More interesting is how will the Doctor be played? We had young and exuberant with Tennant, and they started that way with Smith but then he rapidly moved towards the characterization of "Old, Worldy Man In Young Man's Body" and doubled down on it as the years went by. Capaldi is very old and curmudgeonly.

I'd like to see someone who doesn't have a chip on his shoulder either way, not being old and grumpy or trying to hard to be young and zany. Maybe a solid action guy like Pertwee or Eccleston. Or more avuncular like The Bakers.

I think I could do for once without some overall mystery for the whole season. Do we really need some arc which is dribbled out over 10 episodes with "SUPER SECRET HINTS" AND "MYSTERIOUS PERSONS IN THE SHADOWS"? How about just The Doctor running around exploring and blowing up dictators and fighting/saving monsters at random? The big mystery arcs were very RTD and Moffat, so perhaps Chibnall will do something different, though perhaps not since Broadchurch was basically That: The Series.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well this is nicely creepy so far

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
How about we flip the script and make it Idris Elba. He can be a very serious Doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"What if you're wrong?"
"Then we'll be horribly murdered!"

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

"Capitalism. In space!"
Like the opening line and then the little bit about door sounds. Funny and not too on the nose.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The blue guy in the movie always dies, typical :rolleyes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was really loving good, I'm starting to get worried that we're gonna have to get a lovely episode eventually because I'm starting to take it for granted that they'll all be this good.

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

I agree, that was a really fun episode and now wondering when poo poo is gonna go wrong.

Also, jokes about BBC left wing bias will be broken out I'm sure. I'm all for some space communism in my sci-fi, there's only so many Culture novels.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The twist was rather crap, though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TinTower posted:

Well of course you would think that :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They've had a pretty good streak of consistent episodes so far - I don't know if I enjoyed this one as much as last week's (because this week didn't have David Suchet) but it was still very good. The zombies were pretty creepy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

hanales posted:

How about we flip the script and make it Idris Elba. He can be a very serious Doctor.

Look I don't ask for much in life, I just want Idris Elba to simultaneously be James Bond AND Doctor Who. Also he can keep making Luther if he wants.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

TinTower posted:

I thought it was Cybermen when the suits were doing the characteristic march in time that the Cybermen have done in the revival. I think that would have been a worse twist...

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well of course you would think that :v:

I'm talking about the last line of the episode. :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TinTower posted:

I'm talking about the last line of the episode. :v:

Yeah, that was badly written. It was like something out of Darkplace.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Also was the Ganymede mining company a red dwarf reference

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

The entire run so far is feeling closer to classic Who for some reason, love it. Why did Moffat have to wait until now to break out the good stuff!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
The opening scene made me think of the last few minutes of Alien Isolation. I really like the suit design too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I liked the episode but hated the twist. It's a stunt.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Someone clearly has a problem with representation of disabilities in television.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I don't care what gender, sexuality, colour or whatever 'ism the Doctor is. The important thing it that they are selected because they would make a good Doctor.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sad King Billy posted:

I don't care what gender, sexuality, colour or whatever 'ism the Doctor is. The important thing it that they are selected because they would make a good Doctor.

It's just a coincidence that all the people who would make a good Doctor up until now are white guys

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I liked that one. Apart from the twist, that was pants. And I just don't care what's in the vault. They've not made that very interesting. Although I've never really found boxes of baddies very interesting in Doctor Who. Apart from the Orb o' Daleks.

But Nardole is organic? I thought he was an robot. I did like him this episode though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I guess his head is still organic?

I didn't get why if the voltage wasn't enough to kill Bill (ha!) she still turned into a zombie...?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I think the idea will have been that it knocked her out, but it was deliberately underexplained before it happened and then it wasn't mission vital afterwards

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AND THEN THEY OVERTHREW CAPITALISM IN SPACE the end also I'm blind now, it'll not be obnoxious I promise

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And I can't tell her for Plot Reasons!

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

She might worry :ohdear:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It would be nice if we spent the last couple minutes of the episode getting a confrontation between the Doctor/the workers and the corporate suits instead of finding out that everything worked out six months later and also the Doctor is blind now.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Some of my best friends are Blueish!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I completely misread what he resolution of this episode was gonna be. I thought it was going to be something to the effect of "even if inefficient, discarding potentially useful equipment is a bad idea" and it was gonna be revealed that everyone's nervous systems just "switched off" and not actually dead.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

...Ohhhh, so that's why the Doctor talks about the wrong subjects in his classes
He can't see what room he's in so he wings it

Maybe

Impressive art for a blind man though

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Looks vaguely in the direction of the woman he hears speaking to him. "You're a beautiful woman, probably."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh rad, so the channel I'm watching the episode on blacked out but left audio shortly after The Doctor lost his eyesight so I get to experience it exactly how he does. Thanks Space Channel!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Tons of great lines this week. Favourite was probably the whole exchange around the fluid link and not/trusting the Doctor. Jamie Mathieson is great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

...Ohhhh, so that's why the Doctor talks about the wrong subjects in his classes
He can't see what room he's in so he wings it

I assume you're joking but if not, he went blind during this episode, he hasn't been blind the whole season.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

I assume you're joking but if not, he went blind during this episode, he hasn't been blind the whole season.
Mhh...boring
I like my idea better

"Do people never hit you?"
"Only when I'm talking."

*remembers the time Eleven got his lights knocked out and giggles*

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I will say that "spacesuit zombies" are getting to be a bit old hat- the actual idea behind this one is good but the show's done this at least once a season and it doesn't help that the monster in Pilot was another "it looks like someone you know but it's just using her body!" deal.

Other than that, good episode. I like that they never blunted the "capitalism will kill you if there's money to be made from it" theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Anybody got a link for the promo for next week?

• Locked thread