Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

quote:

I don’t really have a big fear about releasing book 3. I’m really looking forward to releasing book 3. Any fears that I have about releasing the book are extraordinarily metatextual and ephemeral. Because I work until I am really certain that the book is as good as I can make it, and so my fear of releasing any book is what is the effect—it’s not like “will they enjoy it?” because I wouldn’t release it unless I was pretty sure it was as good as I could make it and that people would enjoy it. My fear is, what is the larger effect of my book on the world and on the minds of the people who take the time to consume it? Am I contributing in a positive way to the overall kind of collective consciousness of people in the world? I worry about that.

http://www.tor.com/2017/02/03/patrick-rothfuss-kingkiller-chronicle-book-3-update/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

quote:

Rothfuss also explained that his writing process is a lot different than other writers in that he works on the story fluidly and piecemeal and often deconstructs and reconstructs until over time it coheres. That’s also why he can’t really post a “percentage done” like Sanderson can.

This is literally noodling around with different scenes that have no connecting materials.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

That was the most embarrassing thing I've ever read in my entire life

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yet another thing I follow that will never be completed.

Maybe the anime will pull a GoT and get to finish the story, eventually. :smith:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

That was the most embarrassing thing I've ever read in my entire life

Skipped the Adem part in WMF eh?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Haha, are you kidding?

Here’s what you can expect to find in the new edition, which will be released in 2017:
  • an “extensive” author’s note
  • appendices discussing the calendar and the currency systems
  • a pronunciation guide
  • at least 20 illustrations
  • “a better map”

Look, I know I've said in the past that I like having the stupid details of a world, but how is any of this even remotely helpful to any part of the story? Why are you wasting your time on this stuff? Also, I can't wait to see how "extensive" this author's note is. I'm gonna guess it'll be longer than Slow Regard.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Rothfuss posted:

Yes and no. Book 3 closes this arc of story. Book 3 will not be the final book set in this world. Big distinction there!

Lol at anyone that thought that third book would actually have a conclusion of any kind.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think it will explain how the world is in such garbage shape because of him. I doubt we will learn anything about how he became Kote and maybe won't even learn of Denna's ultimate fate. I just want to know what angel Kvothe killed. Because that was a thing that was said in the first book.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
He probably just goes back to the Fae realm and fucks Felurian to death.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

"Wow, what an incredible backstory Mr Kote. What do you intend to do next?"

"Well I'll tell you " *opens name box* ," but please " *lifts distilled sword*, " call me Kvothe"

The End

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Rothfuss is currently in a Barnes and Noble writing notes in and signing other authors' books.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Daric posted:

Rothfuss is currently in a Barnes and Noble writing notes in and signing other authors' books.

Haha that's a funny joke that has no possibility of being true.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Picked a bad series of books to compare himself to there. Isn't the 4th one coming out soon and it only took like 6 years to get three of them?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
That wasn't the only one

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

What a little bitch. Rothfuss has done nothing but bitch and whine whenever people ask him about book 3 while going to every con and fan gathering where he'd get his ego jerked off and taking other nerd writing jobs.

Lynch's life basically fell apart around him and he went into a massive depressive state and almost ruined his career until his agent finally dragged him into the light and had a heart to heart about Lynch's issues and that it wasn't the end of the world and he could get help. Which Locke then openly discussed online and admitted his failure to write/produce stemmed from personal problems and not his "unique" way of crafting a story that no one can dare to question.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Picked a bad series of books to compare himself to there. Isn't the 4th one coming out soon and it only took like 6 years to get three of them?

Some setbacks but again, Locke openly admits them and accepts responsibility for not meeting projected deadlines. If he releases in 2017 then in 11 years its 4 books which is a standard pace for most non-Joe Ambercrombie writers.

http://gentlemenbastards.com/category/thorn-of-emberlain/

quote:

THORN needs an ending written (the ending is outlined in depth, just not yet written) and some targeted rewrites in three or four specific areas, based on vexing but extremely astute criticism from my agent, my genius wife, and a trusted friend. This is my primary job for December.

I am incredibly sorry about this, and I want it to be understood that there’s nobody to blame but me. In addition to the expected obstacles, I severely complicated my life this year by moving. The process of seeking a mortgage, securing a house, and moving across half a continent (although it was necessary, and has been mostly joyful) has eaten months of my time and made it very difficult to recover lost ground on several projects. Oh– Elizabeth Bear and I are getting married, too. Another real joy, but it’s eating spare time like you wouldn’t believe.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Daric posted:

That wasn't the only one

Am I a prude for thinking this is really crass of him? I would be super excited to find a book signed by the book's author at a bookstore, but to open the book and find some other random author has signed it instead would probably make me value the book less. It's just so pretentious. Doesn't he have enough places to whine and humblebrag without dragging other author's work into it?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Dienes posted:

Am I a prude for thinking this is really crass of him? I would be super excited to find a book signed by the book's author at a bookstore, but to open the book and find some other random author has signed it instead would probably make me value the book less. It's just so pretentious. Doesn't he have enough places to whine and humblebrag without dragging other author's work into it?

Yeah I agree with this 100%. You've written 2 books dude, it's not cheeky to go write in other authors books. Unless they're really into the genre, no one has any idea who you are. You're not Stephen King.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

"That is a rare photo of Sean Connery, signed by Roger Moore. It is worth 150 dollars."

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

pentyne posted:

What a little bitch. Rothfuss has done nothing but bitch and whine whenever people ask him about book 3 while going to every con and fan gathering where he'd get his ego jerked off and taking other nerd writing jobs.

Lynch's life basically fell apart around him and he went into a massive depressive state and almost ruined his career until his agent finally dragged him into the light and had a heart to heart about Lynch's issues and that it wasn't the end of the world and he could get help. Which Locke then openly discussed online and admitted his failure to write/produce stemmed from personal problems and not his "unique" way of crafting a story that no one can dare to question.

Jesus, this. Lynch is struggling hard with clinical depression, he's owning it, he's talking to his fanbase with an open heart and he's doing the best he can -- and he's still producing more than Rothfuss. Rothfuss isn't fit to shine Lynch's shoes.

(Insert lazy joke here about how if he did, each shoe would be done several years apart and the second shoe would be smeared with what looks like jism, but if you don't like it clearly you don't understand the art of shoe-shining.)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Well, this utterly craven act on Rothfuss' part got me to pull the trigger and pick up Lies of Locke Lamore. After making sure it wasn't Crayola'd by Rothfuss.

I'm having trouble articulating how honestly angry his actions make me, and I'm not even (yet) a fan of Lynch's.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Lynch finally escaped Wisconsin and its soul crushing winters?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Dienes posted:

Am I a prude for thinking this is really crass of him?

It absolutely is and reeks of unearned smugness, especially considering who he is aiming his sarcasm at.

Lynch is a rad dude and despite some problems his books are really solid.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Daric posted:

This is just the loving shittiest, pettiest goddamn thing. gently caress Rothfuss.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Why doesn't it surprise me that he has the handwriting of a child?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Rothfuss is apparently a 13 year old in an old man's body complete with vandalizing private property so its not a huge leap really.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wait wait wait. I thought those people were asking him to sign other people's books as a joke....if he's just writing in poo poo like a 5th grader that's some real insane levels of assholeness.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wait wait wait. I thought those people were asking him to sign other people's books as a joke....if he's just writing in poo poo like a 5th grader that's some real insane levels of assholeness.

Yeah no, it wasn't a book signing. He literally just wandered into a Barnes and Noble and started writing in books.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Daric posted:

Yeah no, it wasn't a book signing. He literally just wandered into a Barnes and Noble and started writing in books.

Like, books on the shelf or people asked him to sign even though it wasn't a book signing? I'm having trouble believing someone would just wander into a book store and start signing books at random on the shelf. Can the store even sell those as new at that point?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Chaotic Flame posted:

Like, books on the shelf or people asked him to sign even though it wasn't a book signing? I'm having trouble believing someone would just wander into a book store and start signing books at random on the shelf. Can the store even sell those as new at that point?

Other authors have done similar where they walk in an sign their own books. Jim Hines, Joe Hill, Jacqueline Carey, etc. The bookstores tend to be stoked about it because it brings patrons to a store. The difference is that those authors sign their own books.

I would pay money to see a book store clerk catch Rothfuss writing in random books and mistake him for a hobo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, at least he's writing....

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well, at least he's writing....

You might even say it's the best he's written in years! So many years...

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Rothfuss is just the gift that keeps one giving. If it's not a weird blog post or making wild claims about his writing prowess its another minor petty dick move he proudly displays to the world like is some huge favor.

We need a list to document all his weird behavior as a primer for valid reasons to mock him rather then his writing. From memory

- Wrote some gay LOTR fanfiction ironically? to prove a point
- Made an extremely weird and creepy blog post about a high school girl from his past and something about strippers
- Loses temper when asked about book 3 during a livestream
- Keeps jumping on to KS and crowd funded projects trying to do nerd writing gigs
- During meet/greets where he gave samples of his writing to edit refused to accept any critiques of grammar or word choice since he had perfected every line
- Aggressively presents himself as a feminist despite his books having no strong or notable female characters
- Talked about how when giving a speech at his old high school he wanted to say that he was a loser and invite the pregnant single moms onstage since they were real heros
- Described his writing style as something wholly unique and beyond the understand of basic writers
- Once Trump was elected talked about how he couldn't write anymore since now it was time for massive resistance to corrupt political powers
- Walked into a book store and vandalized books, proudly posting on twitter about it

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016
- When a bookstore at an airport he occasionally passes through closed, Twitter-raged against people who buy books on Amazon, because we are fuckheads who closed that bookstore.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I've only ever seen one good airport bookstore. It's in Milwaukee and still operating. I'm a flight attendant so I have a pretty good sample size.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

At what point does it become masturbation?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dienes posted:

Applying the "shake it more than three times and you're playing with it rule," "four."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dienes posted:

Was someone actually asking?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Solice Kirsk posted:

His ego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

He posted that as a reply to...his own post. Does he count as someone?

• Locked thread