Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
My last game was going really well but then I get to floor 6 with this massive vault full of ood enemies plus two uniques on the floor, and no stairs in sight. I held out pretty well but by the time I made it to a staircase I was malmutated with teleportitis and had no more escape or healing consumables left. I died to a two headed ogre on the next floor when a hallway dead ended.

That was probably the least fair death I've had so far. It seemed like nearly every enemy was a few floors too high other than like the orc packs, which still had a pretty good chunk of priests and warriors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
What the hell was malmutating you at dl 6, even with OOD enemies?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Neqoxecs are a pretty common summon even in the midgame. And shapeshifters can turn into Shining Eyes.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Carcer posted:

What the hell was malmutating you at dl 6, even with OOD enemies?

Shining Eye

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jesus Christ, a Shining Eye that low, what a mess. And you hadn't found any Mutation potions floating around yet? Teleportitis that early is a borderline restart unless you're an obsessive win-streaker.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Sometimes you just need to quit out and accept the game doesn't want you playing it.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
My lucks been just rotten these past 7 games or so. All I've wanted to do is play some yred and this is the first time in 8 games that I've found an altar before or in temple.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The chance of an altar for any god appearing is proportional to how much you actually want to worship that god. Which is to say the more you want it, the less often it will spawn.

Also the faded altar will always give you Xom.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I need to just step away, I'm letting myself get tilted now and I'm losing good characters to dumb mistakes. Demonspawn are really loving fun though and the mutations make it a lot more interesting. I'm trying to do a themed playthrough as gladiator where I go yred first for 3 runes then branch into kiku for a lategame necromancer hybrid hopefully being able to cast necromutation eventually.

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

I think my favorite faded altar is Qazlal. It's like "OK, here we go!" followed by pure, sweet anarchy.

I don't win much these days.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

The chance of an altar for any god appearing is proportional to how much you actually want to worship that god. Which is to say the more you want it, the less often it will spawn.

Also the faded altar will always give you Xom.

This isn't true.
If you're a fire elementalist, you'll get Dith.

e: Faded altars are good at both demonstrating how many different gods there actually are and disappointing you. I've only ever gotten one decent result from a faded altar, and that's because I rolled Makhleb who can work with literally anything.

Darox fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 11, 2017

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Faded altars remind me that Fedhas exists and that I hate worshipping Fedhas. I would prefer Xom over Fedhas.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Fedhas is one of my favorite gods, though I'd imagine it's a bad choice for non 3 rune games.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
A lot of gods are bad (or rather suboptimal) choices for 3+ rune games. Fedhas' best ability is okolob spam which is effective against basically everything though. The problem would be running out of fruit so you'd have to pick and choose which branches you actually set up oklobs in. Or you could scum the Abyss and Pan for a mountain of fruit but that'd be really tedious.

I don't really care for Fedhas either. He's just a really weird god that feels hard to work with without providing some huge benefit.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

A lot of gods are bad (or rather suboptimal) choices for 3+ rune games. Fedhas' best ability is okolob spam which is effective against basically everything though. The problem would be running out of fruit so you'd have to pick and choose which branches you actually set up oklobs in. Or you could scum the Abyss and Pan for a mountain of fruit but that'd be really tedious.

I don't really care for Fedhas either. He's just a really weird god that feels hard to work with without providing some huge benefit.

Yeah that's how I feel about him. He's not bad, but he's really tedious for the benefit.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I have my most successful formicid ever going, after splatting a bunch of them. Something has always killed me in the midgame. I have three runes now, after easily tabbing my way through vault. I haven't even done depths or elf yet.
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/FilthyApe/FilthyApe.txt

I have six scrolls of acquirement, and am not sure what to go for as my gear is already quite good. Jewelry maybe, to try for a replacement to the rC+ ring?

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 11, 2017

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Filthy Monkey posted:

So I have my most successful formicid ever going, after splatting a bunch of them. Something has alays killed me in the midgame. I have three runes now, after easily tabbing my way through vault. I haven't even done depths or elf yet.

I have six scrolls of acquirement, and am not sure what to go for as my gear is already quite good. Jewelry maybe, to try for a replacement to the rC+ ring?

All 6 on gold, imo. Buy a jewelry shop or 2 and then spend the rest making it rain on every branch.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Old Dun Cow posted:

All 6 on gold, imo. Buy a jewelry shop or 2 and then spend the rest making it rain on every branch.

This is good advice if you want to just run Zot and win. Acquirement to 6200gp, rush Zot 5, bribe, bribe again when first bribe runs out. I would wear a prot fire ring for Zot instead of rC+.

If you want to run Elf and Crypt I would put on rn+ ring and acquire gold to get 3k so you can bribe Elf once you get to the Elf 3 vault, same thing for Crypt 3. I mean, at least with gold you can't get -500 gold pieces. For the rest, jewelry is a good choice as jewelry acquirement has been improved in recent releases and you have one ring slot open for just about any good randart or slay ring.

Also, get a lot more dodging and stop training Shields.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Nothing like a zot trap 2 squares from the stairs on Spider 4:

Also gently caress entropy weavers.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Was it a paralysis roll? That might be more an issue of paralysis than zot traps. Shoulda put more points in T&D to stop this from happening!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Yeah I know, 10 T&D by Lair 8, I just put too many points into Stabbing early.

I think I initially got para'ed. I was playing on my phone and didn't notice I was confused and fell going up the stairs. Had to chain quaff cures, wound up at 7 hp with -12 corrosion. That's when I finally had the brilliant idea to stop until I could switch over to a desktop browser.

Blinked SE into the corner of the level, quaffed heal, dug diagonally then again to get out of LOS then quaffed invis. Tried to wait out the corrosion with just 1 redback on me but of course he ate it to retaliation. Luckily, I was in 0.18 and had a wand of heal wounds.

It's really hard to see your current status on the phone. I've had some epic splats and spent an embarrassing amount of time running from nine and ten headed hydrae. Lost a minotaur in depths not noticing a lich had landed petrify while I was fighting two tentacle horrors and an iron giant. It's hard to tell what guys are casting, lost another mino to a 64 pt LCS from a wizard on D10.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
"Let's do GrWz, hopefully I can find some int items"

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.20-a0-1122-gb7cbeb9 (webtiles) character file.

bananaken the Destroyer (Gargoyle Wizard)          Turns: 28596, Time: 02:02:49

Health: 82/82      AC: 28    Str: 18    XL:     15   Next: 46%
Magic:  30/30      EV: 12    Int: 47    God:    Vehumet [******]
Gold:   56         SH:  6    Dex:  9    Spells: 1/37 levels left

rFire    + . .     SeeInvis .   o - +9 dagger of the Exiled Dances {drain, rF+ Int+8 Dex-4}
rCold    + . .     Gourm    .   D - +2 buckler
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   Z - +4 ring mail of the Gardener {*Contam rN+ Int+8}
rPois    ∞         Spirit   .   t - +3 helmet of Ruddeyt {+Inv MR+ Int+2}
rElec    +         Reflect  .   Y - scarf "Romulebo" {Int+4}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   P - +0 pair of gloves {Dex+3}
MR       ++...     Clarity  +   N - +0 pair of boots
Stlth    ++........             u - amulet of magic regeneration
Regen    0.3/turn               e - ring "Hyuwk" {rPois rN+ Str+7}
MPRegen  0.4/turn               c - ring of protection from cold

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I love Gr for practically everything. Even when I try to go pure blaster caster I end up in armor and a fuckoff mace and switch from worshipping Chei to oTab because I get too lazy to hit my LRD/Shatter buttons.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
Dowan and Duvessa must be removed. They have an opaque, obscure mechanic around stairs - they won't leave their level without their sibling, if their sibling is alive - that is too flavorful to exist in crawl. It also makes it easier to stairdance away from (one of) them, which makes the game as a whole easier. Since the game is already far too easy,

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

So I am still chugging along with that formicid I posted earlier. I have 10 runes now, and am missing tomb and all the hell runes. I easily chopped up all of the pan lords into goo. The problem is that I am now a mutated mess, mostly from whats his face's pan level.

I think I probably can still 15 rune, even being a mess. I haven't done tomb in a long time though. I heard they made it more of a deathtrap with trapdoors or something? It used to just be an exercise in stairdancing.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Filthy Monkey posted:

So I am still chugging along with that formicid I posted earlier. I have 10 runes now, and am missing tomb and all the hell runes. I easily chopped up all of the pan lords into goo. The problem is that I am now a mutated mess, mostly from whats his face's pan level.

I think I probably can still 15 rune, even being a mess. I haven't done tomb in a long time though. I heard they made it more of a deathtrap with trapdoors or something? It used to just be an exercise in stairdancing.

Tomb and Hell are boring and stupid. I do not endorse them unless you're so OP that you can kick its rear end quickly and painlessly.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Wtf they brought back traps and doors?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

Tomb and Hell are boring and stupid. I do not endorse them unless you're so OP that you can kick its rear end quickly and painlessly.
I've done them a bunch of times before. Just not in a year+. If tomb is like it previously was, I am sure I could chop my way through it easily by doing the holy stairdance. I heard it was changed though?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

If you're playing trunk, yeah, you can't stairdance because there are no stairs on which to dance

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I am. That does sound deathtrappy. I mean, it used to be just not moving from the stairs until you were able to kill any priests/greaters in sight. If it is a trap door, I would think you would need to teleport and hope to end up in a side room. Tough to do that as a formicid.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

someone awful. posted:

If you're playing trunk, yeah, you can't stairdance because there are no stairs on which to dance

I mean, you can still stairdance. The hatches always dump you in the same spot from which you can run to the stairs. It just takes longer and has more risk involved. But its still pretty much the only way to actually clear Tomb because the vast majority of builds are not equipped to kill an entire army of mummies without retreating.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Superterranean posted:

Dowan and Duvessa must be removed. They have an opaque, obscure mechanic around stairs - they won't leave their level without their sibling, if their sibling is alive - that is too flavorful to exist in crawl. It also makes it easier to stairdance away from (one of) them, which makes the game as a whole easier. Since the game is already far too easy,

Solution: they can follow you up/down stairs, and if you stairdance one of them the other teleports up/down a floor to follow them

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Are potions of lignification still the secret tomb tech?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
That and scrolls of immolation on top

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Archenteron posted:

Potions of lignification being set to neutral pickup vs preferred pickup by default (whatever you call 'only pick up if you already have a stack' vs 'always get this, like unid'd potions or food') has always been mildly annoying. Sure, I probably don't want them on a Spriggan or something, but generally they're very useful in a variety of situations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Superterranean posted:

Also ban anyone using their name on the Tavern while you are at it just to make a clean sweep.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Captain Monkey posted:

Potions of lignification being set to neutral pickup vs preferred pickup by default (whatever you call 'only pick up if you already have a stack' vs 'always get this, like unid'd potions or food') has always been mildly annoying. Sure, I probably don't want them on a Spriggan or something, but generally they're very useful in a variety of situations.

I like using them in case I run into Grinder on a melee dude.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

vOv posted:

I like using them in case I run into Grinder on a melee dude.

They're good for early rPois too for the lvl 1 Viper encounters.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Archenteron posted:

Home of the frog log

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Just got a win, my first in a long time. I basically did it by imitating old Crawl: a ridiculous set of mutations that included mutation resistance and Clarity and a crystal ball. I actually meant to do extended, but I cleared Zot before I did, and then forgot and grabbed the Orb. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Would have been nice to do extended with clairty and at least some form of rMut, just like old times.

Survived multiple 1 HP situations (going down the stairs and ending up next to beefy monsters, cyclops throwing a rock as soon as I saw it, etc), so lots of luck involved.

I got to play around with Ignition a whole bunch this game. Thoughts:
-Overall, it's not very efficient. Situtions where monsters are packed in really tightly are hard to come by.
-It can be good to finish off weak monsters without missing while damaging others
-It basically owns the Royal Jelly and the V:5 ambush for free.
I don't really regret taking it, even though I did get Fire Storm too.

• Locked thread