Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Begemot posted:

They can eat, though. And they have taste receptors, 2B comments on how good the mackerel tasted as she dies.

Yeah I know. But they aren't explicitly designed to consume food. Tasting stuff is just supposed to make them more human, because it's such an integral part of culture. And they will pass most food just fine. Mackerel oil is just particularly unhealthy for them.

It's a stupid joke ending, designed to kill idiots who don't safe enough and don't even follow the warning and the ominous music.
Incidentally, it is possible to catch and eat a mackerel before talking to Jackass about it. That happened to a friend, right after he sorted through his chips.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I straight up bursting out laughing when this happened to me. Although I had the foresight to save multiple times before then.

Especially as I had first gotten this after a particular series of quests.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The taste sensors are just for making out.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Incidentally, it is possible to catch and eat a mackerel before talking to Jackass about it. That happened to a friend, right after he sorted through his chips.
There's a joke about chips and fish somewhere in there.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I. Hear. A. Fish.

Edit: Not even Platinum can escape from the shadow of the Red DudesTM

I

TASTE

A

FISH

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Congeal not the watchers!

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.
That quest with opening communications again...was the first thing to kill me in the main game past the tutorial. My first brush with the death system. ...Thankfully I didn't have much of value and I was careful next time.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mackerel death was my first ending and I had to stop playing for a while because I couldn't stop laughing.

Sure it sucks if you happen to catch one and eat it before Jackass has a chance to tell you to, but anyone complaining about it after getting it from her is an idiot.
She first says it'll be a horrible effect, then even goes to say it might kill you and the music changes and you're literally right next to a save point. There's absolutely no excuse for complaining.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

You wouldn't even believe how many people keep coming into the Games thread just to complain about losing 2 hours of progress due to the Mackerel killing them.

After Jackass explicitly tells you it'll probably kill you.

By the way, 10 meters away from Jackass is a Save Station.

Oh, thanks to WiFi you don't even need to walk the 10 meters. Just open up the menu and hit A to quick save.

People still absolutely lose their poo poo about the game killing them via Mackerel.

I was caught off guard in that being an actual ending and nothing else. Of course I still saved before eating the drat fish so I lost nothing.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

ChaseSP posted:

But they have taste sensors at the same time.

have you seen the designs of the combat androids

i'm beginning to suspect the Council of Humanity's design team may have had other priorities in mind

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Mackerels are oily. Androids aren't really designed to eat.

A tie-in short story (which I won't link because, you know, covers things that haven't come up yet) disagrees.

Androids don't need to eat, but they can, and even get energy from it. Mackerels are just weird.

Also, we don't have old world currency exchange rates for access points, but an interview did give one for YoRHa units. Each of them costs somewhere around a top-of-the-line fighter jet, a hundred million or so. And flight units cost ten times that. So, uh, 2B? Maybe stop breaking the billion dollar equipment just to look cool?

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Ze Pollack posted:

have you seen the designs of the combat androids

i'm beginning to suspect the Council of Humanity's design team may have had other priorities in mind

Look, when you make your combat robots strong enough and tough enough that adding additional armor accomplishes basically nothing, why not make them look pretty while you're at it.

Alternatively, they're all designed and built by the androids themselves, who want to be as close to their human masters as possible.

Still doesn't explain why their main firearms are loving STG-44's though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The ideal experience of that is not having saved for several hours before eating it.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Congealing mackerel oil is the android's fugu, except it's 100% lethal instead of only lethal if your chef knicks any of the internal organs while filleting. There are reasons why it's rigorously regulated!

Fun fact, there have been successful efforts in cultivating non-poisonous fugu. Shame none of the YoRHa crew is obsessed with fish breeding.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
If you catch a mackerel, the game even explicitly tells you it's fatal in the database enrry.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sage Grimm posted:

Congealing mackerel oil is the android's fugu, except it's 100% lethal instead of only lethal if your chef knicks any of the internal organs while filleting. There are reasons why it's rigorously regulated!

Fun fact, there have been successful efforts in cultivating non-poisonous fugu. Shame none of the YoRHa crew is obsessed with fish breeding.

I'd ask "why" but I guess some people miss that "it takes significant amount of work/effort to make it ready to eat" is why it's even a thing in the first place.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

They just care more about the killifish.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
Humans gave androids the ability to taste things while eating one oily fish loving kills them, Jackass isn't the only jackass involved here.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's funny that way.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Okay, I have a question. Dark Id will probably answer this after.

How does "Death" and "Endings" match up? Okay, obviously if you die and because of it the Machines destroy everything, that ending didn't "count" but in story, what should happen is 2B's consciousness goes back to the base, and she rebuilds her body, right?

Does death by mackerel interfere with this giving 2B final death? In universe, is 2B going to go back to Jackass and get a reward, or will we go back in time and refuse; having never eaten the fish in the first place?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Andyzero posted:

How does "Death" and "Endings" match up? Okay, obviously if you die and because of it the Machines destroy everything, that ending didn't "count" but in story, what should happen is 2B's consciousness goes back to the base, and she rebuilds her body, right?

Does death by mackerel interfere with this giving 2B final death? In universe, is 2B going to go back to Jackass and get a reward, or will we go back in time and refuse; having never eaten the fish in the first place?

There's no particular reason for this one. It's just a "gently caress you, you moron, you ate this poo poo you'd probably do something else similarly stupid"

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

I thought the poison was part of the experience. Like even a perfectly prepared fugu has enough poison in the flesh to make your mouth tingle and intoxicate you.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
The same thing can be said about removing the OS chip one since they are basically the same thing. You could say that 2B was removed from the server after 9S reports how she died since it's a really dumb way to die and not worth keeping around someone that incompetent, or it's a joke ending in a video game.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Andyzero posted:

Oh, eating the mackerel isn't actually a sidequest. There's no reward. Jackass is just offering you an opportunity to advance android science out of the goodness of your heart.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Andyzero posted:

Dying in-game will respawn 2B at the nearest Access Point and she'll have to recover her corpse to get any Chips left behind/EXP earned since last saving. Endings dump you straight to the title screen afterwards and effectively never happened. When we reload it'll be just before Jackass gave us that fish and she'll repeat that whole scene. We just won't eat the death fish like a dingus next time. Beyond that, it's a joke ending in a video game. Don't think about it too much until the next sequel is based off the most unlikely one. :v:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Nier 3 will involve retrieving the commander from her disapproving space hibernation, no doubt

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Nier 3 will involve retrieving the commander from her disapproving space hibernation, no doubt

You think that's the most unlikely ending? There are what, 22 to go? Have some faith!

Morbi
Aug 7, 2013

CONTRABAND
I may or may not have just lazily edited this from a piece of Breath of the Wild fanart I did a couple of months ago.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That's a "loving this poo poo" face all right.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Beautiful. :allears:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I'm not 100% convinced the mackerel isn't the Watchers' doing. It seems like something their hair-brained R&D department would cook up:

:v: Hey boss, I got a good one this time.
:cthulhu: god dammit this better not be like the eyesocket doom flower idea
:v: Nah
:cthulhu: or the cannibal space babies before that
:v: Nope
:cthulhu: fine, what do you have for me
:v: Deadly fish! :science:
:cthulhu: ...
:v: We're still working out the kinks, it only works on androids right now
:cthulhu: ARGH

silentbrains
Mar 18, 2009

absolutely wonderful

warhammer651 posted:

Look, when you make your combat robots strong enough and tough enough that adding additional armor accomplishes basically nothing, why not make them look pretty while you're at it.
Alternatively, they're all designed and built by the androids themselves, who want to be as close to their human masters as possible.

Still doesn't explain why their main firearms are loving STG-44's though.

I feel the same, YoRHa are basically the rock stars pop idol group of the Automata world, so having them look .~*special*~. is part of the deal. (Although I think that the aesthetic also has a fair bit of .~*japan*~.)

I can mentally write off the vintage rifles as being magical sci-fi with vintage aesthetic, but I'm having trouble with the vintage car husks and a lot of the props in the resistance base. It's very anachronistic.
edit: Looked through Junkyard of first game and couldn't find much.

silentbrains fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 14, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Morbi posted:

I may or may not have just lazily edited this from a piece of Breath of the Wild fanart I did a couple of months ago.

Conflicting feelings coming from this...

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

chiasaur11 posted:

Also, we don't have old world currency exchange rates for access points, but an interview did give one for YoRHa units. Each of them costs somewhere around a top-of-the-line fighter jet, a hundred million or so.
Yet somehow there are spare bodies in each terminal...

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Forgall posted:

Yet somehow there are spare bodies in each terminal...

Presumably, that's purely the cost of materials, since they can apparently be 3-D printed without issue.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not spare bodies apparently but the components to make a new body in each so any unit could use them rather than just 2B or 9S.

Either way, if they're recycling intact parts when they're making the new body each time, it'll keep cost down

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Jackass is just great. She gets better every time she pulls something like this.

Also maybe Mackerels are so tasty to androids that once they have one, they can't stop eating them even though they die every time and it just isn't cost-effective to keep rebuilding them. And then other androids get curious and try one and everyone dies. Lots of androids do the mackerel challenge on android youtube.

Also I love that the fast travel points are disguised as vending machines. Venda(n)Droid or something I guess

mazloum
Mar 29, 2016
I never got around to getting that fish. Sort of relieved about that at the moment.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
I like to imagine that the checkpoints on the surface are all connected by pneumatic tubes, like at the bank.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Jackass is surprisingly bored and curious for someone who just saw a giant earthquake pull the city out from under her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I've been re-reading the Drakengard LP, and the fight with the 3 Engels is pretty similar to the Cyclops fight: A trio of hulking giants with scaffolding on them show up, and you need to fly around to destroy them.

• Locked thread