Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ratjaculation posted:

Hey, for real though have we heard from the bigotted woman Gordo called a bigot in the 2010 GE?

I swear she was milking it for the last few elections... the old bigoted hag

Lol apparently she backed Milliband in 2015 and Andy Burnham in the first leadership election.

104: The total number of Eurovision points we have only just passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

HJB posted:

Your gimmick is poo poo but usually funny, I'm conflicted.

You just need to work on funny.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

AP posted:

You just need to work on funny.

https://twitter.com/SolidSanics/status/842116983671910405

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Pissflaps posted:

Which marginals have you been directed to assist in and how has your assistance manifested itself?

Generally, Momentum have produced a tool called 'Find My Nearest Marginal', to direct you to the closest ones. Their emails contain phrases like "[in the last three weeks] we've knocked on thousands of doors in marginal constituencies". The call to action in the emails is "Help us flood marginals with activists."

As I'm sure you won't count Momentum as valid evidence, I'm on the mailing lists for the Labour party in two different parts of the country. One is sending emails (I've got 5from them) containing "There are 6 key marginal seats we are working extremely hard and putting all our resources into to defend and win, so please join us for a few hours in your nearest key marginal seat." The other is a slightly more local mailing list and refers to nothing other than campaigning in the marginal constituency I happen to inhabit. My assistance has manifested itself in turning up to local party meetings, manning a stall, delivering leaflets and doorknocking.

It's simply incorrect to claim that the party's money and resources isn't going into fighting marginal seats.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Prince John posted:

Generally, Momentum have produced a tool called 'Find My Nearest Marginal', to direct you to the closest ones. Their emails contain phrases like [in the last three weeks] "we've knocked on thousands of doors in marginal constituencies". The call to action in the emails is "Help us flood marginals with activists."

I'm on the mailing lists for the Labour party in two different parts of the country. One is sending emails (I've got 5from them) containing "There are 6 key marginal seats we are working extremely hard and putting all our resources into to defend and win, so please join us for a few hours in your nearest key marginal seat." The other is a slightly more local mailing list and refers to nothing other than campaigning in the marginal constituency I happen to inhabit. My assistance has manifested itself in turning up to local party meetings, manning a stall, delivering leaflets and doorknocking.

It's simply incorrect to claim that the party's money and resources isn't going into fighting marginal seats.

I've just tired the tool and it's told me to go and be an activist 50 miles away in York Central (Labour majority 6,716) rather than where I live (Labour majority 2,268).

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Pissflaps posted:

I've just tired the tool and it's told me to go and be an activist 50 miles away in York Central (Labour majority 6,716) rather than where I live (Labour majority 2,268).

Maybe it just thinks you'll be more effective in a place where no one has ever come into contact with you before.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Skinty McEdger posted:

Maybe it just thinks you'll be more effective in a place where no one has ever come into contact with you before.

I often visit York.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

hakimashou posted:

There was an interesting piece in the Guardian about when Australian Labour faced a similar problem to the one British Labour is facing now.

They dumped their unpopular party leader in the lead up to the election and reversed it into a landslide win.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/12/jeremy-corbyn-bob-hawke-general-election-landslide

It may not be too late!

I think Andy burnham would be a good choice.

He's northern, been pretty loyal and if it doesn't work he has a job to go to soon anyway.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Breath Ray posted:

I think Andy burnham would be a good choice.

He's northern, been pretty loyal and if it doesn't work he has a job to go to soon anyway.
Andy Burnham loving sucks which is why he couldn't beat Corbyn.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

It will only display seats in which Momentum have activities planned. As more dates are added for planned events you may see your seat come up.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Remember his cringeworthy ads about being a normal chummy bloke and a "maverick" after an extended period at the top of Health? christ

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

I'm sure this is a Momentum plot to cunningly name their app 'Find My Nearest Marginal' while directing activists to less marginal seats in an effort to sabotage the election result (it works for me).

Edit: Thanks for the explanation Jabby :)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Prince John posted:

I'm sure this is a Momentum plot to cunningly name their app 'Find My Nearest Marginal' while directing activists to less marginal seats in an effort to sabotage the election result and not a software bug and/or user error (it works for me).

I think it's the prioritising of vote share over number of parliamentary seats.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

My nearest marginals are all comfortably miles away, but I put that down to most places around here being solid blue.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

TinTower posted:

Australia just gave us twelve points and we're on the left half of the bird. Clearly, a vote of confidence in Theresa May's Hard Brexit.

I can't imagine what we did in the last twelve months to receive so few votes from the European public.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The real thing is that Momentum is actual active in York and not in Middlesborough/Darlington (which do need more activists from what I hear)

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

josh04 posted:

I can't imagine what we did in the last twelve months to receive so few votes from the European public.
Not entering Nigel Farage as Mister Bean was a mistake.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

josh04 posted:

More than usual though, strangely enough. Only the Irish really seemed to care.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

I think it's the prioritising of vote share over number of parliamentary seats.

Or given you've now seen evidence that the party is pouring all of its resources into marginals, perhaps you're just wrong? Unless you have evidence to the contrary?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

jabby posted:

Even if he did he'd be too late to register to stand, so you'd have a leader who wasn't in the House of Commons. It's moronic.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/863492244300550145

UKIP on 3% :eyepop:

you mean 49%

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Prince John posted:

Or given you've now seen evidence that the party is pouring all of its resources into marginals, perhaps you're just wrong? Unless you have evidence to the contrary?

Well, I've seen your words in bold - something I'm a big fan of for added emphasis - but it hardly counts as 'evidence'.

We'll be able to have a better idea of what the strategy has been on June 9th should the vote share hold up while the number of parliamentary seats falls, or otherwise.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Kurtofan posted:

you mean 49%

51 or 52% depending on rounding.

Hmmm, where have we seen that before?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Seats with big majorities in theory could still be in danger and worth campaigning in, particularly ones that previously had a big UKIP vote.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
UKIP is not big in York, and it voted Remain.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Well, I've seen your words in bold - something I'm a big fan of for added emphasis - but it hardly counts as 'evidence'.

We'll be able to have a better idea of what the strategy has been on June 9th should the vote share hold up while the number of parliamentary seats falls, or otherwise.

You must be pretty worried about that happening for you to be laying the groundwork for your post-election opinion this early. It isn't convincing though, the Tories sucking up all of UKIPs vote is why they are likely to win seats, not a deliberate strategy by Labour.

Hopefully Momentum does organise some campaigning events in your seat soon, since the new candidate appears to be pro-Corbyn and replaces a notorious dickhead.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

If emails from the party to its activists don't count as evidence of what the party is telling its activists to do, what does?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

You must be pretty worried about that happening for you to be laying the groundwork for your post-election opinion this early. It isn't convincing though, the Tories sucking up all of UKIPs vote is why they are likely to win seats, not a deliberate strategy by Labour.

Hopefully Momentum does organise some campaigning events in your seat soon, since the new candidate appears to be pro-Corbyn and replaces a notorious dickhead.

Let's hope the Corbyn supporting candidate is able to emulate the success of the 'dickhead' they replaced and get elected.

It's not something i'm 'worried' about, though if you're wanting to talk about laying groundwork, well...

jabby posted:

If the most recent opinion polls are right the vote share for Labour will be broadly similar as under Ed Miliband

jabby posted:

Labour may suffer a heavy defeat in the GE, but it seems unlikely to be because of a collapse in it's share of the vote.

jabby posted:

Labour are the only opposition party whose vote share hasn't 'collapsed' recently.

jabby posted:

Of course if the polls are accurate and Labour gets a similar vote share

congratulations for staying on message.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Prince John posted:

If emails from the party to its activists don't count as evidence of what the party is telling its activists to do, what does?

Look who you are responding to.

HJB posted:

My nearest marginals are all comfortably miles away, but I put that down to most places around here being solid blue.

The closest seat to me that Momentum are campaigning in is Barrow & Furness. I think it's interesting that Momentum are campaigning for John Woodcock. Seems like a total waste of effort.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Could be so that he looks like even more of a tit if he tries to complain about left-wing undermining.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Let's hope the Corbyn supporting candidate is able to emulate the success of the 'dickhead' he replaced and get elected.

Indeed. Does you hoping she gets elected mean you will vote for her, or just hope other people do?

quote:

It's not something i'm 'worried' about, though if you're wanting to talk about laying groundwork, well...

Me repeating what the polls are currently saying is not the same as you implying the predicted result will tell you what Labour's strategy is.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

Me repeating what the polls are currently saying is not the same as you implying the predicted result will tell you what Labour's strategy is.

Are you saying i'm giving the Labour leadership too much credit by suggesting their strategy will be reflected in the result of the general election?

Personally, I think Labour's vote share and number of seats will both be down on 2015.

jabby posted:

Indeed. Does you hoping she gets elected mean you will vote for her, or just hope other people do?

I'm voting Labour - it would be inconsistent not to, considering I voted for a similar manifesto in 2015.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dabir posted:

Could be so that he looks like even more of a tit if he tries to complain about left-wing undermining.

Who cares if he looks like an even bigger tit? They could be using those resources to campaign for candidates who haven't dedicated themselves to opposing the leader of the Labour Party. There are genuinely good candidates who will get little or no help from Momentum in order to "make a point" in Barrow.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

congratulations for staying on message.

Why shouldn't your opposite be in this thread?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's not about making a point, it's about trying to get as many Labour MPs elected, even if they're complete pillocks.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Regarde Aduck posted:

Why shouldn't your opposite be in this thread?

I don't believe that Jabby is my opposite. He doesn't argue in bad faith and refuse to use sources when necessary.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Went to a class reunion the other day. It was a private school, so I was expecting a bunch of obnoxious Tory-boys, but it turned out that all the City finance guys in their fake tans and leather jackets were leftie as gently caress. Like, I half expected them to break into a round of l'Internationale as the evening went on. They liked Corbyn, too, despite being entirely Remainers.

Weird surprise, but a pleasant one.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Woodcock has basically said he's going to cross the floor the minute he's reelected and I'm amazed the Labour party has allowed him to stay

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Wait, I just realised... the UK doesn't have a national ID, so... wouldn't it be possible for someone to just go around voting in every polling center? What stops this?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You're registered to vote at a particular polling station in a particular consistuency. When you show up they ask for your name and tick you off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Pochoclo posted:

Wait, I just realised... the UK doesn't have a national ID, so... wouldn't it be possible for someone to just go around voting in every polling center? What stops this?

They'd have to know the name and address of someone who hasn't already voted in each constituency they want to vote in?

• Locked thread