Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
statements will continue to be good and necessary until debugging of expression-based languages becomes easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
terminate your expressions then, same principle

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
or at least your posting

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Soricidus posted:

or at least your posting

*rifles through 2-page leaflet of yospos comebacks* .....turn off your monitor lmao

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
gently caress I got owned

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

eschaton posted:

the worst trend in modern programming is the continued support for “statements” when the superiority of making every construct an expression was demonstrated decades ago

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

fleshweasel posted:

statements will continue to be good and necessary until debugging of expression-based languages becomes easy

lisp has had good debuggers, with restarts, for decades

break on a particular form, inspect all sorts of state, substitute in the result of evaluating something else, continue on, etc.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Rex-Goliath posted:

'here's a scientific paper proving that git is a user-hostile mess'

*continues blaming dumbass users for not having the 1337est swole-brain*

git: the stupid content tracker

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
hg is worse than git at some things and better than git at some things

subrepos are always bad

that's my deep thoughts on dvcs

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Veracity could have taken off if they'd just implemented local history rewriting before git was dominant, since they'd have been unquestionably better than git in every single way (including license and being written by professionals)

instead they focused on things that nobody needs like an in-repo issue tracker

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
still fighting my goddamn Java ORM, I am going hollow irl trying to fix this poo poo

I just want lazy loading of entity relationships to work, and I want the loving thing to not issue a SELECT for a related entity object if I only want to access its primary key. But apparently that's just too much to ask.

(I'd prefer if it threw an exception instead of silently sitting there and issuing 100 single-row SELECTs in the background but hey, SQL databases are all about obnoxious hidden details about query performance so I guess that's par for the course)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
git is good if everyone using it is good at computer

now think about yourself and the rest of your team, and consider whether this implies it is the best choice for you

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

git is probably the most user friendly of the three SCMs we're using in some form right now

consider what horrors we have seen

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Git's CLI is slightly idiosyncratic but there are far worse problems for an SCM to have than a slightly idiosyncratic CLI

The amount of time spent whining about Git's CLI could have been far more constructively spent writing an alternative CLI atop libgit2.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

still fighting my goddamn Java ORM, I am going hollow irl trying to fix this poo poo

I just want lazy loading of entity relationships to work, and I want the loving thing to not issue a SELECT for a related entity object if I only want to access its primary key. But apparently that's just too much to ask.

(I'd prefer if it threw an exception instead of silently sitting there and issuing 100 single-row SELECTs in the background but hey, SQL databases are all about obnoxious hidden details about query performance so I guess that's par for the course)

don't use a orm. if you're using java, use mybatis

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i can switch between multiple open applications. this is the future yall.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

what ORM? if it's following the Enterprise Objects Framework's design like most do, it's trying to helpfully prefetch the contents of the relationship to its row cache so they'll be consistent with the source object at the time the relationship was traversed

in EOF instead of trying to defeat that, you'd tell the fetch spec you use to load the source objects to prefetch that relationship as part of the initial fetch, that way it'll all come back fast in one query and traversal won't hit the database at all

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

i can switch between multiple open applications. this is the future yall.

I'm the Memory Bar

(just picked up some Einstök Ölgerð white ale and toasted porter, mmm)

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

eschaton posted:

Einstök Ölgerð white ale

That is a fine choice of beer.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Soricidus posted:

the irrational fear of semicolons is the worst fad to affect modern programming. just loving terminate your statements like a grownup. one more keystroke is not going to kill you.

its not about the extra keystrokes when writing the code, its about the code being a bit less readable because its littered with useless poo poo. you spend much more time reading code than writing code in any non trivial project

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Zlodo posted:

its not about the extra keystrokes when writing the code, its about the code being a bit less readable because its littered with useless poo poo. you spend much more time reading code than writing code in any non trivial project

But do you really?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Zlodo posted:

Totally, in the same way punctuation like periods and commas make it much harder to read English.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Zlodo posted:

you must be working on a drat near perfect codebase if, after spending days on end reading it, your major complaint is that it has semicolons

are you hiring?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the GS is mocking me

my program prints "Hello World!" and promptly crashes to the monitor. when i reset it, the display resets to 40 columns and displays every other character

it says "el ol" at the top of the screen and reboots

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

Totally, in the same way punctuation like periods and commas make it much harder to read English.

Exactly, readability is important. We require them because there are quite a few devs who are primarily java, c, c++ and they didn't want to waste time wondering if a statement was terminated or not during code reviews.

What I do not understand are the devs who complain about having to use semi-colons screaming "every must be clean" are usually the ones who use trailing commas in arrays. :suicide:

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

fleshweasel posted:

what does this even mean? erlang, elm and lisp have the best debugging facilities in the industry and all are statementless

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

ThePeavstenator posted:

We would probably not use periods so frequently if we made a habit of starting every sentence on a new line.

geeves posted:

What I do not understand are the devs who complain about having to use semi-colons screaming "every must be clean" are usually the ones who use trailing commas in arrays. :suicide:

Heretical concept: make commas optional like semicolons are, so that line breaks in array literals can act as entry separators. So

code:
[
]
is the same as

code:
[1, 2, 3]

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Doom Mathematic posted:

Heretical concept: make commas optional like semicolons are, so that line breaks in array literals can act as entry separators. So

code:
[
]
is the same as

code:
[1, 2, 3]

F# literally does this.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Sapozhnik posted:

slightly idiosyncratic

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

eschaton posted:

the worst trend in modern programming is the continued support for “statements” when the superiority of making every construct an expression was demonstrated decades ago

this ftw!!!!

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Doom Mathematic posted:

We would probably not use periods so frequently if we made a habit of starting every sentence on a new line.

Grammatically that doesn't make sense except with dialog.

quote:

code:
[
]
is the same as

code:
[1, 2, 3]

NihilCredo posted:

F# literally does this.

:stonk:

Overall it's not bad when thinking about it. I just deal with so much JSON and relying it on being well-formed that it bleeds over into actual code.

I guess a bigger question for me is "why?" I'm a fan of consistency in my codebase. I'm not hugely dogmatic about what my developers do in most cases, but since JSON is a huge part of sending/receiving data in our app, I do ask that it's clean in those instances.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

F# literally does this.

perl, ruby, and elixir also have special syntax for whitespace-separated lists. it's good.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

the GS has the same terrible memory manager as classic mac os nooooooooo

handles all the way dSORRY, A SYSTEM ERROR OCCURRED

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

it's fine.

yeah it's not ideal but i envy the person for whom git's cli is the biggest piece of technical baggage in their day to day.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Sapozhnik posted:

it's fine.

yeah it's not ideal but i envy the person for whom git's cli is the biggest piece of technical baggage in their day to day.

it's not fine.

the reason people treat git like magic and memorize static workflows is that they're scared of it breaking their poo poo, and its entire point is to not break your poo poo while it manages your version control. otherwise you might as well go back to project_v34_final.zip

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

JewKiller 3000 posted:

it's not fine.

the reason people treat git like magic and memorize static workflows is that they do this with every other loving piece of their job, you just aren't googling their code to find it on stackoverflow

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

other peoples' issues are very similar to my issues with javascript: i have zero patience to learn anything about it and would rather scream in agony while copy-pasting poo poo until something works then good god never touch it again

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the difference is that, unlike javascript, git is actually good at something, and also not particularly hard to use, and pretty hard to gently caress up disastrously

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

the GS has the same terrible memory manager as classic mac os nooooooooo

handles all the way dSORRY, A SYSTEM ERROR OCCURRED

no it doesn't

it has its own implementation of the same API ;)

I need to learn more about the Lisa OS, I know the original MM was written in Pascal for Lisa and rewritten in assembly for Macintosh for both space and time efficiency, but I don't know if that version was brought back to Lisa for one of the various releases (3.1 was the last)

maybe the code for 1.0-3.1 of the Lisa OS, Desktop, and Office System could be released someday, Tim cares about history way more than SJ and SJ was actually responsible for getting the MacPaint and QuickDraw code released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Bloody posted:

other peoples' issues are very similar to my issues with java script: i have zero patience to learn anything about it and would rather scream in agony while copy-pasting poo poo until something works then good god never touch it again

Bloody posted:

the difference is that, unlike javascript, git is actually good at something, and also not particularly hard to use, and pretty hard to gently caress up disastrously

"i refuse to learn anything about javascript and here is my take on its badness"

• Locked thread