Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, I liked it because it was the opposite of Twilight Princess. also no cave of shadows, that was a big plus for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Rexroom posted:

I wouldn't go that far. It's a big empty world. Well OK, I exaggerate, it's got korok seeds and... more korok seeds and combat shrines and more combat shrines and treasure chests that usually don't have anything worthy. And then there's five dungeons, which are clever and great, but... I wish there was more to it. This ain't Zelda as I knew it, and I'm not sure if it's for the better.

I ended up rating it lower than Twilight Princess. Hell, even Skyward Sword feels more substantial than BotW. But that's how the Zelda cycle works. :v:

lol there's always one :jerkbag:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Blaster Master Zero is fun and good.

A little on the easy side once I got the hang of the controls. Have only died once and I'm in the 5th area.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

katkillad2 posted:

Blaster Master Zero is fun and good.

A little on the easy side once I got the hang of the controls. Have only died once and I'm in the 5th area.

It is fun and good! Just make sure you don't do what I did, and make sure to check every dungeon that has an icon. Gotta beat all bosses and get all the thingies (including Life Ups) for the true ending.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Got a refund for minecraft, gently caress that poo poo game

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Got a refund for minecraft, gently caress that poo poo game

As a curiosity, how does one get a refund on a Switch game?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Infinitum posted:

As a curiosity, how does one get a refund on a Switch game?

Had to call in and tell them a truth(lots of slow down in the jungle) and the dude was super chill about it and pushed it through as a courtesy. The other more pressing truth is that game sucks rear end.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rexroom posted:

I wouldn't go that far. It's a big empty world. Well OK, I exaggerate, it's got korok seeds and... more korok seeds and combat shrines and more combat shrines and treasure chests that usually don't have anything worthy. And then there's five dungeons, which are clever and great, but... I wish there was more to it. This ain't Zelda as I knew it, and I'm not sure if it's for the better.

I ended up rating it lower than Twilight Princess. Hell, even Skyward Sword feels more substantial than BotW. But that's how the Zelda cycle works. :v:

Zelda's actually really great and I enjoy it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Zelda's actually really great and I enjoy it

Yeah but the entire Zelda series is master-tier so saying that is pretty pointless. Its a great game, but its not nearly the best Zelda game.

I love how fresh it is, but they really need to make a proper Zelda game with this engine and world.

There's no dungeons. There's no key items. You get all the Runes in the game within the first hour. Its great for what it is, but its just a big open world with tons of cool little puzzle shrines. Its more Skyrim and Portal than a proper Zelda game.

I would pay $60 in an instant to just add Dungeons to BOTW. And then it would be the best Zelda. As is, its worse than Ocarina, LTTP, Wind Waker, and many others. Its good, but its... kinda limited.

There's nothing like riding your horse across a giant field of grass in the sunshine though :)

But Rexroom has a point.

I think I like it more than Twilight, even though Twilight had dungeons, because they were mostly bland and simple. Even cool things like the spinner were used in a really limited and gimmicky way, didn't really have much player agency.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I enjoy that the key item is your skill level or comfort level.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I really like being able to go anywhere and do anything in any order. But I think if some shrines required you to use certain items, that'd be cool too. Its easy to warp back to them later once you get whatever you realize you need, and if they could do like the best Zelda games and give you multiple key items you can solve a puzzle with, that'd be golden.

Link between worlds was great for that, each dungeon had an intended item but could also be solved another way. That's really missing from BOTW. Still good game.

E: Although BOTW does have alternative "cheat" solutions to shrines using physics which is pretty fun.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
No, I don't think arbitrarily having to teleport back to shrines hours and hours later would make it better. Just imo tho.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Some people need their hands held through all things they do. This is how the last couple home Zelda got bad and you're bad for wanting more of that.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Try plugging your Switch into your PC monitor. I play all of my consoles this way and it's magical.

The switch dock has a place of honor right in between my two monitors so that when I'm waiting on QA smokes on the right I can play some more shovel knight on the left

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Same. More dungeons would be Good, but the last major entry that went for "immediate sequence breaking" was ALBW and those dungeons were so one-trick-pony that they were completely forgettable. I'll take another BOTW please.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Same. More dungeons would be Good, but the last major entry that went for "immediate sequence breaking" was ALBW and those dungeons were so one-trick-pony that they were completely forgettable. I'll take another BOTW please.

This one took years to make.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

LethalGeek posted:

Some people need their hands held through all things they do. This is how the last couple home Zelda got bad and you're bad for wanting more of that.

I find myself vaguely annoyed with, well, myself that I'm probably one of those people :smith:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

Most games do.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want the next Zelda game to be a coop game that uses BOTW's world.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want the next Zelda game to be a coop game that uses BOTW's world.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:yeah:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hace posted:

No, I don't think arbitrarily having to teleport back to shrines hours and hours later would make it better. Just imo tho.

Do you know what the word 'arbitrary' means? Because you're using it wrong.

If you don't like metroidvanias that's cool, but comeon don't act like its pointless. It adds depth.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Louisgod posted:

I bought Binding of Isaac and I'm not sure I 'get' it. Do you just do the same random assortment of dungeons over and over again? Go and beat all the challenges? Try and clear all the daily challenges too?

its like life you never know whats going to happen

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Zaphod42 posted:

I really like being able to go anywhere and do anything in any order. But I think if some shrines required you to use certain items, that'd be cool too. Its easy to warp back to them later once you get whatever you realize you need, and if they could do like the best Zelda games and give you multiple key items you can solve a puzzle with, that'd be golden.

Link between worlds was great for that, each dungeon had an intended item but could also be solved another way. That's really missing from BOTW. Still good game.

E: Although BOTW does have alternative "cheat" solutions to shrines using physics which is pretty fun.

A couple of dungeons were easier with fire arrows than regular ones, so that might be worth expanding to, say, a dungeon that's super easy with the right item but is doable without it.

That said I can't say I ever felt like I missed the item-based gating of dungeons. It's surprisingly relaxing to just wander around.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like that items that would be key in older Zelda games are just things you randomly find and can break too.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I sat in bed for 6 hours today and played Zelda on my Switch, it is the best console and I'm about to do that exact thing again.

Beating my first Divine Beast was hella rad, I just need to figure out how to get to my next place.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NewFatMike posted:

I sat in bed for 6 hours today and played Zelda on my Switch, it is the best console and I'm about to do that exact thing again.

Beating my first Divine Beast was hella rad, I just need to figure out how to get to my next place.

its good

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Zaphod42 posted:

If you don't like metroidvanias that's cool, but comeon don't act like its pointless. It adds depth.

Metroidvania elements in an open world are bad. They're great in a smaller world but it's too much of a headache in open world games. Look at what happened to the Arkhan series.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I haven't played it yet since I'm still looking for a Switch but BotW sounds like my dream Zelda game. I really enjoyed the last "open" 2D one and I like a lot about the 3D Zeldas even if I haven't finished one, but I always wanted the base Zelda gameplay and world smashed into Skyrim. They targeted this game directly at me. /2c

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

An idea I had for key items. In BotW you control the dungeons to an extent. In a lot of Zelda games when you get a key item you are later disappointed when it has little utility outside of a dungeon.

What if the key items were, you gaining more and more control over the environment of the dungeon you are in? I think that could be very satisfying and you would have no expectation of being able to take that outside the dungeon. Rather than controlling one thing like a water spout or roll or pitch, you would gain control of more elements as you progress.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I'm packing to go to a work conference for a few nights and I just packed my Switch and I'm going to be playing Zelda and Mario Kart from my resort room and it's going to be awesome.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

DeePee posted:

Any chance that someone purchased the Zelda RDS Case and would like to trade one of their blue game cases for a red one?

:sissies:

If you got :10bux: Target has them.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Seeing family for mother's day, brought my switch and have been playing Kart and Tetris here and there. God I wish Persona was on this thing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

NewFatMike posted:

Figuring out how to get to the next place is the best part of the game. Go where it feels right to you.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's a Switch Blade

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Infinitum posted:

It's a Switch Blade

:haw:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

Figuring out how to get to the next place is the best part of the game. Go where it feels right to you.

I was making my way to where I thought I should go, but then there was a Lynel who spotted me immediately.

Lesson learned: fast travel freezes your enemies, which is very good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Zaphod42 posted:

ok but it wouldn't add depth, because it would only impact completing a shrine, or not completing a shrine. it wouldn't effect the overworld at all.

having to collect a dildo bat 30 hours into a game so you can do a shrine you found 20 hours earlier and not much else is arbitrary and stupid.

• Locked thread