Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
almost all of zoros challenge early on came from the fact that he was already injured. luffy destroyed most of his early opponents without too much of an effort until crocodile. both zoro and luffy are insanely strong and it would not surprise me if zoro was as powerful as a sweet commander right now.

regardless, they're going to the samurai island next so zoro's almost certainly going to fight the shogun, king poo poo of the sword kingdom and will probably get some real character growth in that arc as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

In regards to rereads, I just wanna say that knowing how the events play out doesn't mean you cannot find new content and, ultimately, entertainment.

A reread is, of course, worth it. You will be able to catch the smaller things going on behind the scenes or in the background. For instance, look at this gag I found doing a partial reread. I didn't recall it at all. Chopper having a moment of brilliance and Brook showing that he cares about delivering his punchlines.

There are plenty of these that I am certain you won't remember and it will be as if you read them for the first time. There is also the character interactions that will give you further insight into the OP world because you already know them so well. A minute example is when Whitebeard is being accused of selling his allies for the lives of Ace and his crew. This panel didn't mean much to me when I read it on release. However, it is now packed with more meaning in lieu of the current arc revolving around family and Gang Bege being the only one really about that while Big Mom is just faking it til she makes it.

Since you know so much more about the world and the characters, interactions between them will seem more interesting than when you first saw it. Dialogue that at one point seemed uninteresting takes on another level. In that regard, Marineford is one of the best arcs to reread.

Although, I'd much rather forget everything I know about OP and give it a fresh reread and I imagine everyone in here would too. Basically, I'm saying we should form a pact that if modern science allows for the specific targeting of One Piece memories and they can be erased, we get it done and start a new thread.

Lpzie fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 13, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

anime was right posted:

almost all of zoros challenge early on came from the fact that he was already injured. luffy destroyed most of his early opponents without too much of an effort until crocodile. both zoro and luffy are insanely strong and it would not surprise me if zoro was as powerful as a sweet commander right now.

regardless, they're going to the samurai island next so zoro's almost certainly going to fight the shogun, king poo poo of the sword kingdom and will probably get some real character growth in that arc as well.

Yeah, I get the feeling that Wano is going to be almost as much Zoro's arc as this one was Sanji's.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Zoro bled so much in the first half of the grand line, I think he's earned some bloodless matches. I think Zoro would be a worse character if all his struggle is constantly for nothing just to fit a formula.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Begemot posted:

I don't think he was hurt during Dressrosa.

But I think the only time we've really seen him go 100% is Enies Lobby. I still want to see how that technique has evolved, it has to come up in Wano....

No, he and Luffy had just got clowned by CP9 just before Aqua Laguna hit. Before the time skip the only fight that Zoro showed up for at 100% is his fight with Buggy. Maybe his fight with Mihawk if his gaping torso wound from the the incident with Buggy had healed up by then. Of course then the gaping chest wound that Mihawk gives him lasts for quite a while and he gets hosed up in every fight afterwards as well.

Maybe going into Thrillerbark he was back up to 100% after their rest as the Sunny was built? Of course then nothing happened, and then the next chance at 100% is after the time skip.

So Zoro fights at 100% against
  • Buggy
  • Mihawk?
  • RyumaZombie Brook and OarsZombie Luffy?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyges posted:

No, he and Luffy had just got clowned by CP9 just before Aqua Laguna hit. Before the time skip the only fight that Zoro showed up for at 100% is his fight with Buggy. Maybe his fight with Mihawk if his gaping torso wound from the the incident with Buggy had healed up by then. Of course then the gaping chest wound that Mihawk gives him lasts for quite a while and he gets hosed up in every fight afterwards as well.

Maybe going into Thrillerbark he was back up to 100% after their rest as the Sunny was built? Of course then nothing happened, and then the next chance at 100% is after the time skip.

So Zoro fights at 100% against
  • Buggy
  • Mihawk?
  • RyumaZombie Brook and OarsZombie Luffy?

Zoro and Luffy were not injured by CP9 he was in fine shape. He also was in good shape against Daz Bones.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zoro got clowned by his true nemesis: his own sense of direction.

Luffy got clowned by two buildings that were too close together.

Water 7 such a good arc :allears:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MonsterEnvy posted:

Zoro and Luffy were not injured by CP9 he was in fine shape. He also was in good shape against Daz Bones.

They were definitely injured by CP9 to the point where Zoro lost his swords and Luffy desperately needed meat in order to function. Luffy needed meat more than usual to function.

Against Daz Bones wasn't he still dealing with almost cutting off his legs at the shins?

Edit: Zoro got Shigand 3 times in the chest by Kaku before Luci kicked him through a wall and out into the lower city so hard that Zoro droped his swords and appeared to loose consciousness. Luffy got beat up a little by Luci before Luci shigand him through the chest and throws him through a wall and out into the lower city.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 13, 2017

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I'm excited to see shanks again. who is with me.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

key party favors posted:

I'm excited to see shanks again. who is with me.

he's on his honeymoon you're not going to see him for at least a week!!

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

anime was right posted:

he's on his honeymoon you're not going to see him for at least a week!!

then give me my shanks honeymoon cover story *bangs on desk* I want answers!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Big News: Get me pictures! Pictures of Red Hair Shanks!

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

MonsterEnvy posted:

Go back and read those dude because both times Zoro is losing the entire fight until he pulls a new power out of his rear end.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What I wanna know is where's Sniper King? Did he go back to Sniper Island?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ryaomon posted:

Go back and read those dude because both times Zoro is losing the entire fight until he pulls a new power out of his rear end.

I know that. I am just saying he was he good shape when the fight started.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Waffleman_ posted:

Big News: Get me pictures! Pictures of Red Hair Shanks!

JJJ x Big News Morgans..... ... ....*faints*

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Waffleman_ posted:

What I wanna know is where's Sniper King? Did he go back to Sniper Island?

i "heart" this post

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ryaomon posted:

If you're referring to Kaku he was holding his own pretty well and barely get t hurt, he just busted out asura because he was on a time limit.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
Normally a lurker, but...

Moltrey posted:

Little Garden Arc
- Zoro deciding to pose in a cool way before he died and and also deciding to cut his legs off so he could at least struggle against death rather than accepting was baller, the exchange between him and Nami of "What are you going to do after you're free? You won't have any legs!" "....Who knows.....but my plan is to win" killed me, I'm becoming a real mark for Zoro.

Between Zoro's badassery at Arlong Park, beating the 100 bounty hunters at Whiskey Peak and this moment on Little Garden, I was totally sold on Zoro. A really cool touch following Little Garden is that Zoro retains the ankle scars from when he tried to cut his feet off - you occasionally see them during the rest of the manga. :allears:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

tbp posted:

zoro has not had to try like at all since the timeskip

most of the cast hasn't had to try and it's part of why I really don't like the new world on the whole

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Moltrey is yet to come across the best Zoro moment, the one that makes him my favorite Strawhat: :zoro:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

most of the cast hasn't had to try and it's part of why I really don't like the new world on the whole

Everyone except Zoro has to had to try.

Franky has a massive beatdown with Senor Pink, Chopper had to try against Big Moms minions, Usopp got beaten by Trebol and Caesar, Sanji lost to Donflamingo and had a standstill with Vergo, Luffy struggled with Donflamingo and Cracker,, Brooke lost to Big Mom and hadn't really done much up until this arc. The women have had no fights because Oda refuses to give them one anymore it seems.

Zoro is the only one that hasn't had to exert any effort and you can bet going into Wano he is in for the fight of his life.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, he was stumped against Doflamingo's birdcage I suppose.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you're going that far then he did technically lose to hoddy off screen when neptune's palace flooded

zoro's only had 3 full on fights so far since the new world. you can discount the fishman island one entirely since the whole point was to show off how strong the crew had gotten. monet was more about zoro and tashigi than it was monet tbh, and pica was a puzzle boss where the real fight was just getting pica to be where zoro could actually hurt him. it's not so much that zoro hasn't had to try as it is that his fights haven't been about him and his opponent beating each other up

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Blockhouse posted:

The only reason Zoro had to try before the Grand Line was that he ran into Mihawk and was handicapped for most of the trip. Sanji only had to try before Alabasta because Luffy was dumb and got thrown in the water by Arlong.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you're going that far then he did technically lose to hoddy off screen when neptune's palace flooded

zoro's only had 3 full on fights so far since the new world. you can discount the fishman island one entirely since the whole point was to show off how strong the crew had gotten. monet was more about zoro and tashigi than it was monet tbh, and pica was a puzzle boss where the real fight was just getting pica to be where zoro could actually hurt him. it's not so much that zoro hasn't had to try as it is that his fights haven't been about him and his opponent beating each other up

Nah, pica wasn't a puzzle it was straight up padding so he didn't clown yet another dude super hard a year before Luffy had to bust out G4 to even touch Doflamingo.

Gyges posted:

The only reason Zoro had to try before the Grand Line was that he ran into Mihawk and was handicapped for most of the trip. Sanji only had to try before Alabasta because Luffy was dumb and got thrown in the water by Arlong.

He couldn't really hurt Pearl, but tbh only Luffy could deal with him properly since Zoro couldn't cut steel yet.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just realized I feel kinda bad for Katakuri. He is pretty much the only Big Mom pirate actually trying to get poo poo done the past few chapters, while his older brother stands there and does Evil Monologuing to the Vinsmokes and his sister (and fellow Sweet Commander) is, uh, asking other people to go do something.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Lpzie posted:

Basically, I'm saying we should form a pact that if modern science allows for the specific targeting of One Piece memories and they can be erased, we get it done and start a new thread.

What makes you think we aren't already doing that?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I just realized I feel kinda bad for Katakuri. He is pretty much the only Big Mom pirate actually trying to get poo poo done the past few chapters, while his older brother stands there and does Evil Monologuing to the Vinsmokes and his sister (and fellow Sweet Commander) is, uh, asking other people to go do something.

It is funny as hell that the serious, professional guy with the traditionally badass design and the amazingly broken power set pretty much exists to be clowned on. Poor dude is basically a morality-flipped Law at this point.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
morality flipped is a weird way to put it when u remember that law himself tore the hearts out of 30 people and mailed them to the government

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The main problem with Zoro is that in every fight he was seemingly indestructible, just tanking hits and still winning despite going into the fight injured, getting punched full of more holes than Swiss cheese and losing over his body weight in blood.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Darth Walrus posted:

It is funny as hell that the serious, professional guy with the traditionally badass design and the amazingly broken power set pretty much exists to be clowned on. Poor dude is basically a morality-flipped Law at this point.

he's actually pulling his weight - just this chapter he evaded Bege, Pedro and Jinbei like it was nothing and managed to pin Luffy down (too bad about the stretchy arms!). The issue for me is that nobody else on BM's Crew is. Even those with incredibly simple jobs like pulling a trigger.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The main problem with Zoro is that in every fight he was seemingly indestructible, just tanking hits and still winning despite going into the fight injured, getting punched full of more holes than Swiss cheese and losing over his body weight in blood.

That's actually really cool though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tbp posted:

morality flipped is a weird way to put it when u remember that law himself tore the hearts out of 30 people and mailed them to the government

And Katakuri is notably less of a sadistic dick than most of his siblings. The point still stands. :v:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

he's actually pulling his weight - just this chapter he evaded Bege, Pedro and Jinbei like it was nothing and managed to pin Luffy down (too bad about the stretchy arms!). The issue for me is that nobody else on BM's Crew is. Even those with incredibly simple jobs like pulling a trigger.

He's seen what happens if they succeed. The other's are being overconfident, because why wouldn't they be, the plan didn't appear to work and the enemies are surrounded by an army that won't lose this fight if it comes down to it.

It makes sense they're taking their time, there's no reason to rush anything in their eyes.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Last Celebration posted:

Nah, pica wasn't a puzzle it was straight up padding so he didn't clown yet another dude super hard a year before Luffy had to bust out G4 to even touch Doflamingo.

This is not what happened

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

This is not what happened

Okay? Cause I remember that his normal jet attacks were almost nonchalantly being blocked by him because they were too weak while the gigant moves were too slow to connect.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Gear 4 was used because Bird Cage was going to start killing people within 30 minutes. That's it. Luffy essentially just went the overkill route instead of getting sucked into another Lucci-style fight where he and Doffy just beat the loving piss out of each other until one of them drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I like to pretend bird cage never started to move and instead of 10 mins pushing a wall, strawhats and friends fought away doffy instead.